ADVERTISEMENT

Aundre Hyatt should be starting over Mag and that is a fact!

Rutgers_Realist

Redshirt
Silver Member
Jan 12, 2023
I never feel good when Mawot Mag is leading an offensive possession. He never knows what he is doing. Key offensive foul late in the game where he blatantly just ran through a Northwestern guard on a fast break. Super predictable. (He also seems to struggle with catching the ball) Yes, he did hit a three pointer in last nights game, but all season his 3 point shots miss for the most part and usually are not even close! He is shooting an ill-favored 20.8% from behind the arc right now. Yes, Mag plays good defense, and that is why everyone seems to love him, but our defense is good enough to the point that Hyatt should be getting more minutes. Also, Hyatt can defend the ball just as good as Mag with his big build, and athleticism, and ability to get crucial rebounds. Aundre Hyatt is one of the best rebounding guards in the league and shoots it as well as anyone, giving us at least 2-3 deep balls per game, and when he misses, it is not by much. Just do not understand why Mag gets so much praise, and plays so many minutes, still waiting for him to prove me wrong and I do hope that he does. But until then, start Hyatt!

I got crucified for suggesting the same. Hyatt a better rebounder and shooter and defense improving. Mag while always playing hard doesn’t always play smart. Turnovers, foul trouble. @ SHU he had the worst +/- on the team and guys were ripping Hyatt and waxing poetic on Mag. Suggest something against the grain and get ripped.

Mag had a quietly solid offensive game last night and has great speed/reach when it comes to defending. If we're going to continue pressing like this, we need Mag out there over Hyatt.

Agreed fully that Hyatt is a better rebounder, but we have Cliff, Paul, and Caleb out there to go for boards.

Also doesn't matter who starts the game. I'm much more concerned with who's going to be out there when the game is on the line. Whether it's Hyatt or Mag makes no difference to me.

I never feel good when Mawot Mag is leading an offensive possession. He never knows what he is doing. Key offensive foul late in the game where he blatantly just ran through a Northwestern guard on a fast break. Super predictable. (He also seems to struggle with catching the ball) Yes, he did hit a three pointer in last nights game, but all season his 3 point shots miss for the most part and usually are not even close! He is shooting an ill-favored 20.8% from behind the arc right now. Yes, Mag plays good defense, and that is why everyone seems to love him, but our defense is good enough to the point that Hyatt should be getting more minutes. Also, Hyatt can defend the ball just as good as Mag with his big build, and athleticism, and ability to get crucial rebounds. Aundre Hyatt is one of the best rebounding guards in the league and shoots it as well as anyone, giving us at least 2-3 deep balls per game, and when he misses, it is not by much. Just do not understand why Mag gets so much praise, and plays so many minutes, still waiting for him to prove me wrong and I do hope that he does. But until then, start Hyatt!

no

No.

But, some games Hyatt should take more of Mag's minutes. SOME games. Mag is a superior defender and a comparable rebounder. Hyatt has better offense, and they both play situationally. Hyatt is a great 6th man and it is working for him.

Offense-centric thinkers are always going to struggle to be down with some of Pike's coaching strategies and decisions.

I got crucified for suggesting the same. Hyatt a better rebounder and shooter and defense improving. Mag while always playing hard doesn’t always play smart. Turnovers, foul trouble. @ SHU he had the worst +/- on the team and guys were ripping Hyatt and waxing poetic on Mag. Suggest something against the grain and get ripped.
Why rip either player? I like them both. They both help us win games. They are different but equally important.

If Hyatt starts he gets less shots. Coming off the bench we really count on him to score. Mag sets the tone on D. We could change the rotation but that’s not my decision. Just keep winning.

Hyatt averages slightly more minutes per game than Mag. Mag is a much better defender and it is good to bring an offensive spark off the bench in Hyatt. No reason to make changes to the starting lineup.

Mag's defense is better than Caleb's this year. Soo disruptive and covers you like a glove. Invaluable. But, agree that its scary when he is at the foul line against zone bc his shot is not there...yet. He has two more years to improve that mid range. Hyatt is doing a good job, but his D lapses are a problem. BOTH help us win.

No.

But, some games Hyatt should take more of Mag's minutes. SOME games. Mag is a superior defender and a comparable rebounder. Hyatt has better offense, and they both play situationally. Hyatt is a great 6th man and it is working for him.

Offense-centric thinkers are always going to struggle to be down with some of Pike's coaching strategies and decisions.
Or we were playing better with Hyatt in the game and expanded the lead. If Mag had a quietly effective offensive game than Hyatt was spectacular. We are all seeing considerable improvement with more playing time for Hyatt. Doesn’t mean we are questioning Pike’s decision making. Can question those who are downplaying Hyatt’s contribution who has as many rebounds in far less minutes and another offensive weapon which we desperately need. After Cam and Paul best player on the floor for RU yesterday.

Glad we have both Mag and Hyatt as they both have strengths and weaknesses. It's Pike's job to manage the rotation and get the best out of each...and he does a pretty good job of it.

Fact, no. It's opinion. Mag needs to start for his defensive presence at the top of the press.

Mag had a quietly solid offensive game last night and has great speed/reach when it comes to defending. If we're going to continue pressing like this, we need Mag out there over Hyatt.

Agreed fully that Hyatt is a better rebounder, but we have Cliff, Paul, and Caleb out there to go for boards.

Also doesn't matter who starts the game. I'm much more concerned with who's going to be out there when the game is on the line. Whether it's Hyatt or Mag makes no difference to me.
Wonder why it's always Hyatt who is in at the end.

Everyone on the team has things they do we love and things that scratch your head. Everyone. Even Paul, even Caleb. Even Cliff and yes even Cam Spencer. So lay off Mag he is one of the best defenders on the team which is one of the best defenses in the nation

Mag's defense is better than Caleb's this year. Soo disruptive and covers you like a glove. Invaluable. But, agree that its scary when he is at the foul line against zone bc his shot is not there...yet. He has two more years to improve that mid range. Hyatt is doing a good job, but his D lapses are a problem. BOTH help us win.

Mag does not even get blocks or steals.

Now you're just being silly. I'm not the biggest Mag fan, but the kid has made strides in his game. He's become a better defender, better rebounder on both ends of the floor, better low post game.
Same people raving about Mag are downplaying Hyatt’s contributions. Hypocrisy much? Hyatt is visibly improving. Deal with it.

It doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes .
Hyatt was on the floor when Cam hit that 3.
Pike is doing a masterful job mixing and matching lineups. I think he's still searching and different guys are better on different nights. He sees these guys every day in practice, on the buses etc, I have faith he's making good, informed decisions on who to play when and how much.
I do wish he'd get the better offensive players taking a higher % of their shots - but that's another story.

Does the OP recognize it's a team game and each has a specific role to fill? Pike determines who he needs when but OP thinks he knows better...lol.

Lol meant to reply here but same answer. I like the current rotation and we count on Hyatt to score and rebound. We count on Mag to disrupt the other team. Chemistry is great.
Agree 90 percent, would rather see Wolf get Reiners minutes, not getting the rebound on the missed FT which turned into a 3 by NW helped fuel their comeback, think Wolf is more aggressive and gets that rebound.

This is the exact type of post (and the Cliff post and the Caleb post and the....) Coach Pikiell referenced in his presser after Iowa. Message boards and social media are awful for college athletes and college athletics. Be better.

That last foul on the inbounds play was another example of a ridiculous call; the defender actually tripped over Cliff's leg when he was going backwards he was not pushed at all it should have been no call; I like Mawot starting he gets the press going 100%

First post. Wonder who this is a reincarnation of
There is a lot of that going around of late. The newbies are the most critical of Rutgers sports in general. They find fault with everything. Someone or some people are creating alter egos.

Know Yourself Alter Ego GIF by Caroline - The Happy Sensitive

Mag started, and the team built a decent lead early, in large part due to his performance in the first half. Hyatt is better suited coming off the bench as an offensive spark, imo.

Reactions: wheezer
No.

This.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT