ADVERTISEMENT

Aundre Hyatt taking an official visit, still weighing 18 vs 19

I think we’re talking apples and oranges. For RU, a game changer isn’t someone leading us to the Elite Eight. It’s someone who solidifies us as, at least, a mid-pack conference team and convinces future kids that we’re for real.

Agreed. We are currently operating on different expectations, because we haven't had success in so long. A "very good" national level prospect who might be a mid-pack contributor on a Top 10 team would be a game changing recruit for us.

Once we have a roster of those, and the "game" has been changed for us.... meaning we're a mid-pack B1G team and have made the postseason a couple of times... we'll surely start talking about "game changing" players the same way other programs do.

I'd be happy to take Hyatt as a 2019 commitment.

Given that, I'd be equally (more?) happy to take him as a 2018 commitment that redshirts - because then we still get him as a 2019 player, but we get year of our own S&C and practice under his belt to let him hit the ground running.

If his reclassification is simply to get a year of practice, S&C, and acclimation to a new environment, and he always intended to start playing in 2019.... then sign me up.

And bringing him in for 2019 allows us to devote almost full recruiting attention to 2020 and beyond.

How bout this thought. He commits early for 2019 which still lets Pike get his 1 year grad transfer guard. Haven't seen that mentioned. BUT I'll take either case. :)

Reactions: RUChoppin
Lol we will agree to disagree on that
he offers a lot to the board. you offer absolutely nothing. so speaking for the majority of posters who come on these boards for basketball insider info..please do yourself a favor and clam up. he said hyatt is a good talent..not every kid we get has to be curry or lebron and they can still be a big pickup for us. if this offends your ego, all of us dont have to hear about it.

How bout this thought. He commits early for 2019 which still lets Pike get his 1 year grad transfer guard. Haven't seen that mentioned. BUT I'll take either case. :)
Too long, I'll have a heart attack every time someone talks to him thinking he's going to decommit. That thought process is just ingrained in me from year's of heartache watching RU sports.

Btw, although Georgia Tech has tried to get in the mix with Hyatt they are not having much success getting him interested in their program.

I was talking with a source of mine in Atlanta today and he mentioned that
What? Did they run out of paper bags?:)

Reactions: RUDutch and ImBadRU
he offers a lot to the board. you offer absolutely nothing. so speaking for the majority of posters who come on these boards for basketball insider info..please do yourself a favor and clam up. he said hyatt is a good talent..not every kid we get has to be curry or lebron and they can still be a big pickup for us. if this offends your ego, all of us dont have to hear about it.

Asscatcher, you amuse me. You remind me of the 4’10” guy at the bar that thinks he is a tough guy. It’s a mesage board and I am free to express my opinion. I say it like it is.

ScarletLongIsland, no one is questioning your right to post what you want, even though you seem to get into it with many other posters. The issue is, most of us are amateurs with no sources. Russ Wood is in the business and has lots of sources. Plus he has always been straight with us. No whipped cream; no cherry on top. Just good info and his informed opinion. Who you think we are going to listen to? You or someone who knows what he is talking about? Russ knows what he knows and knows what he doesn't know. You know what you know but you don't know what you don't know.
TL

I agree with Russ on this issue and really enjoy his insight. I also agree with the sentiments of several posters that RU is not looking at Hyatt as equivalent to a top 10 type of kid as a game changer. What obtaining Hyatt does is continue the substantial overall improvement of basketball players on our roster. Think of it as a cumulative impact added to others like Mathis, Doucoure, Baker, etc ...

These are the type of players that in time will get RU to top half of conference and serious chance at NCAA tournament. We have the coaching chops to meld this team well over time.

Hyatt is a very good player, very good student, and excellent overall individual. Would be an excellent recruit for us. Keeping fingers crossed.

I agree with Russ on this issue and really enjoy his insight. I also agree with the sentiments of several posters that RU is not looking at Hyatt as equivalent to a top 10 type of kid as a game changer. What obtaining Hyatt does is continue the substantial overall improvement of basketball players on our roster. Think of it as a cumulative impact added to others like Mathis, Doucoure, Baker, etc ...

These are the type of players that in time will get RU to top half of conference and serious chance at NCAA tournament. We have the coaching chops to meld this team well over time.

Hyatt is a very good player, very good student, and excellent overall individual. Would be an excellent recruit for us. Keeping fingers crossed.

I like this Dodger quote better than "They only reason Hyatt would come here is because it's close to home."

Reactions: SJScarlet
**cough**cough**
Alvarado.
**cough**cough**
Duffle bags for Alvarado??? That. Is. Hilarious.
[roll][roll][roll][roll]

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today. The weather has been miserable and I got caught in a tourist traffic jam.

Okie. Dokie. If you say so.
Three sources told me that kid wanted to play in the ACC for Syracuse but they never offered him. When the Georgia Tech offer came it gave him an opportunity to fulfill one of his dreams...playing in the ACC.

I know some NYC writer practically called him a Rutgers lock. That got this board convinced he was coming...and I get that.

Unfortunately he got it wrong. It happens. I got it wrong on Tai Strickland and a few other recruits (non RU related). We're only as good as our sources like the one I had on Amin.

Asscatcher, you amuse me. You remind me of the 4’10” guy at the bar that thinks he is a tough guy. It’s a mesage board and I am free to express my opinion. I say it like it is.
Well I'm 6'6 but what you say doesn't matter whereas what Russ says does matter. You're a nobody. I just want to be very clear on that. If your goal is to try running off one of the best posters on here, not many people are going to be fans of what you say.

Russ is indeed one of our best posters. I appreciate that he takes the time to pass on information.
Remember that old saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". I don't know why people would attack @Russ Wood he's one of the few who come here with real inside information. Russ has been an enjoyable addition to this board and he has a sense of humor to boot. I appreciate the time he takes to keep us informed via his sources.

Remember that old saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". I don't know why people would attack @Russ Wood he's one of the few who come here with real inside information. Russ has been an enjoyable addition to this board and he has a sense of humor to boot. I appreciate the time he takes to keep us informed via his sources.

+1! ..although I don't think he was attacked. 1 poster made a negative comment and the other 99% chimed in with support. (rightfully so)

Well, its day 3 and the last day of his official visit and would expect we are impressing him and just hoping he sees a comfortable fit here. Hopefully, the proximity to home seals the deal.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Wouldn’t any reasonable fan say even with the talent we have brought in, we are young, so 2019 or 2020 is more realistic for us to really turn the corner in a big way? I would say redshirting doesn’t change his importance either way

Stop with 2019 - 2020 or the next millennium.

It's R time to go from worst to first.

We need to get it done...and Pike/ Staff seem to be on track both in recruiting /
coaching / managing the games.

So let's stop putting off the CHANGE...2018 is a perfectly good year for Change...it's about time.

MO
PS 27 years of no dancing, 42 years since only final4....it's time.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Stop with 2019 - 2020 or the next millennium.

It's R time to go from worst to first.

We need to get it done...and Pike/ Staff seem to be on track both in recruiting /
coaching / managing the games.

So let's stop putting off the CHANGE...2018 is a perfectly good year for Change...it's about time.

MO
PS 27 years of no dancing, 42 years since only final4....it's time.

Yikes Mo. Just because you want something doesn’t mean you get it.

Do you see how hard it is for teams like Kentucky to get it done despite having a team full of 4/5 stars. Young kids with immense talent are still young kids.

Could this team go the NIT? I think so

But I think, in reality. 2019/20 is when this team could really make noise. And there is nothing wrong with that

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg

Lol. Get a twitter account bro and learn the sites and people to follow on there.

Lol. Get a twitter account bro and learn the sites and people to follow on there.
Now look here whipper snapper, I have no desire to engage or stalk people on twitter or whatever the next latest craze you guys come up with. I come just here to get my info and that's enough, I'm not glued to electronic devices. I have too much to do running my own business and tending to the family farm. Since you decided to give me a bit of advice, I'll give you a bit of advice. Don't be such a putz and you won't catch flak.

Last edited:
Yikes Mo. Just because you want something doesn’t mean you get it.

Do you see how hard it is for teams like Kentucky to get it done despite having a team full of 4/5 stars. Young kids that immense talent are still young kids.

Could this team go the NIT? I think so

But I think, in reality. 2019/20 is when this team could really make noise. And there is nothing wrong with that

Dammit I'm a Rutgers Scarlet Knights fan...not a Pukie, Sara, Tucky or UNC (No Classes) supporter.

I want answers mister....I don't want excuses! And I want them now!!

MO

Well, its day 3 and the last day of his official visit and would expect we are impressing him and just hoping he sees a comfortable fit here. Hopefully, the proximity to home seals the deal.
The visit has been over. Rich already published a write-up with quotes from Hyatt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT