ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Tourney Match Thread

Gravina has wrestled like a complete f'ing idiot today. He should've never been one of the last to get an AQ. Go for the legs once in a while.

They're going to the tape to see if Mich St had a reversal in the last 5 seconds...they didn't get the call, Gravina wins.

There is so much shit talking going on haha the camera is right between the benches and the Mich St coaches are losing their minds.

Gravina must be banged up. But at the same time I think wrestlers are catching up to his style as he has been slumping for some time letting deep shots on that leg. Love his grit and tenacity.

Time for Nick to take the bull by the horns and close it out tomorrow.

Gravina must be banged up. But at the same time I think wrestlers are catching up to his style as he has been slumping for some time letting deep shots on that leg. Love his grit and tenacity.

He desperately needs to learn a lower body move in the off-season. He is an AA talent that needs a little more variety in his attacks to keep teams from coaching against him.

Gross and Correnti get better every single match. Gravina on the other hand better get his shit together.

He desperately needs to learn a lower body move in the off-season. He is an AA talent that needs a little more variety in his attacks to keep teams from coaching against him.
He hasn't been offensive enough on his feet much of the year, so I'd temper those expectations. He refuses to shoot & you can't win with that strategy below HWT.

1.Ohio State 117.0
2. Penn State 98.5
3. Iowa 95.0
4. Minnesota 81.0
5. Nebraska 79.5
6. Illinois 71.0
7. Michigan 60.5
8. Wisconsin 59.0
9. Rutgers 55.5
10. Michigan State 37.5
11. Maryland 29.0
12. Purdue 25.0
13. Indiana 23.5
14. Northwestern 16.0

1.Ohio State 117.0
2. Penn State 98.5
3. Iowa 95.0
4. Minnesota 81.0
5. Nebraska 79.5
6. Illinois 71.0
7. Michigan 60.5
8. Wisconsin 59.0
9. Rutgers 55.5
10. Michigan State 37.5
11. Maryland 29.0
12. Purdue 25.0
13. Indiana 23.5
14. Northwestern 16.0
We have a shot at 7th I think which would be good in a semi rebuilding season.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Agree 100% with this post. I've been nervous for over a month now but tried to stay positive. After a very strong start to the season he has done very little on his feet and guys are figuring out how to attack him. Theo likes to scramble as well after letting up a shot, but at least he has some offense of his own. I love Nick and will be rooting hard, but he needs to make some serious adjustments this offseason.

Still, all in all a very good session for RU. We had a much stronger lineup last season but still in the hunt to send 8.
Yeah, I just don't get his strategy & I'm sure the coaches have told him to shoot more & often but he doesn't. It's a poor strategy that needs to change to take the next step.

IMO, something is wrong with Gravina. Yeah what some above say is true but he is still an animal in all his matches and he just does not look the same. His motor is not as high, he seems to be having a little harder time riding which is a strength of his, and just seems to be getting in positions he normally does not. Something is up there. He's either real sick or has some sort of upper body injury.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
IMO, something is wrong with Gravina. Yeah what some above say is true but he is still an animal in all his matches and he just does not look the same. His motor is not as high, he seems to be having a little harder time riding which is a strength of his, and just seems to be getting in positions he normally does not. Something is up there. He's either real sick or has some sort of upper body injury.
I totally agree with this. Definitely something wrong besides figuring him out. Even his conditioning seems to be lacking which use to be an edge in most if not all of his matches!

Posters:
Please lay off the Gravina bashing. Kid is absolutely hurting as per the top! I assume it is what has plagued him in past. He toyed with Sliga in the dual so if he does not win you know why.
By the way, who did Pagano beat 11-1?

Scott, Ash, Theo, JVB, Correnti all in. Need Pagano, Gravina and Gross to win tomorrow.

Personally, I think Gross deserves an at large regardless.

A lot will depend on who else is out there as Gross doesn't have any highly ranked wins... But he is wrestling like he belongs at the big dance!!

Reactions: Loyal-Son
You don't call out other posters, then bash kids yourself...he better than that bro
If Gravina is/was legitimately hurt that explains why he struggled so much last night. Just was maddening seeing him lose to a freshman from Minny...and he should've murdered the Sparty wrestler.

If Gravina is/was legitimately hurt that explains why he struggled so much last night. Just was maddening seeing him lose to a freshman from Minny...and he should've murdered the Sparty wrestler.

I think we need to embrace Bill's advice here and lay off the kid. I stick with my observation, but that is not bashing but simply an honest opinion of where I think he needs to be to get to the next level. With that said he is one of the toughest wrestlers to ever step foot on a RU mat and was not a blue chip kid coming into his college career. It would not surprise me if he's banged up and wrestling through the pain.

Gravina's right shoulder/arm was definitely bothering him. Most of the time his right arm was just hanging and he was trying to do everything with his left side.

I am always amazed at wrestlers when they go back to wrestle hurt. They are amazing competitors win or lose. I watched the replay of the Suriano match where he hurt his leg. He could barely stand but he still tried to continue until the ref stopped it.

Reactions: RUpop and Loyal-Son
Looking at the results of the other tourneys, many of the ranked wrestlers earned spots and Heavyweight.

If Gross does not earn it today, that means Nevills, Kroells and Jensen all did.
That would mean that all the Top 20 in RPI clinched bids. He would be going up against a Big 12 wrestler (Larson, Tynan, Q. Smith), one of the MAC wrestlers (Smerchek, Myers), then Hermida (MD), Jennings (NW) from the Big 10. Big 12/MAC tourney still have more bids to earn today, so several of those above could still clinch.

Brooks Black medical forfeited out of the Big 10 tourney after wrestling a few rounds. He is the one wrestler, if healthy, that would get one of the 4 bids.

Last edited:
Brown is not known as one of the best defenses in the nation. Their goalie is playing well today, but they are known as a high-scoring offensive team to make up for their weak defense.

Rutgers does have a strong defense.

My bad then on that; you're right, nonetheless you can't play the "oh but this team did that to that team" game. It doesn't work like that lol!

Reactions: Clearscreen25
You dumbass...the B1G tourney is often as difficult as the NCAA tourney. Now STFU or leave.
Gravina has wrestled like a complete f'ing idiot today. He should've never been one of the last to get an AQ. Go for the legs once in a while.

thinky.w710.h473.jpg

Reactions: rich4987
Gross has been a nice surprise. But as far as a wildcard he has no shot. He hasn't beaten anyone of merit this year. But I will say he has got momentum heading to next year.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Gross has been a nice surprise. But as far as a wildcard he has no shot. He hasn't beaten anyone of merit this year. But I will say he has got momentum heading to next year.
Well lets hope he can find 1 more win. He has two more matches minimum to get it. It would be a hell of a feel good story.

149 Conso Semi | No. 5 Ken Theobold vs. No. 2 Brandon Sorensen (Iowa) in the hole on mat 2.

"Ninth-place matches will be wrestled at the end this session. Will go conso semis first, then seventh place, then ninth."

Reactions: jerzey devil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT