ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen Wrestling Tournament Results and Update Thread

Escape burak then another from bottom in second period.
Burak 4 Hayden 2
Then burak gets takedown

Burak beats hrymack 9-5 but Hayden got two takedowns and wrestled his best all year today.
Go hayden

Burak beats hrymack 9-5 but Hayden got two takedowns and wrestled his best all year today.
Go hayden

and if none of that happens (HH and Smith already lost, consos upcoming), this is a poor first day for RU.

Smith loses 6-3. No takedowns is not going to win. Needs that last minute action a lot earlier.

Originally posted by ruwarrior:
and if none of that happens (HH and Smith already lost, consos upcoming), this is a poor first day for RU.
So you expected Hrymack to beat Burak and Smith to beat Medberry?

I like the way Smith looks today. Fought hard against the #1 seed. Here's hoping he can win one more, and if he does a match with Lawson awaits!!

Originally posted by belushijo:

Originally posted by RU Husky:
Theo injury defaulted
And that's some of the disappointment
What were your expectations coming in for today?

Win every toss-up, pull out a bunch of upsets and go undefeated?

Let's keep some perspective here.
Don't create a straw man argument, please. My hopes were for some of the lower seeded guys to outperform their seeds and that only happened with one guy. Most of the guys got trounced. That was disappointing. Let's see if there is any redemption in the consolations.

My expectations were that our better wrestlers would at the very least hold serve or perhaps rise to the occasion and outperform . Two of our four top guys disappointed by any measure-one had an injury excuse. Smith won when expected and lost when expected. Ashnault can still be that surprise but it would require something extraordinary to beat the top guy.

I won't say that the team performed poorly, but, yes, I expected better,

Tavanello is ranked 11th in the Coaches Poll as well as 12th by Intermat, while Smith is 16 in both. So while Smith was seeded one spot higher, it was still a good win. If he can come back and avenge his loss to Myers, he can improve his seed at nationals and hopefully be set for a run there. O course, I'm hoping for more on top of that as well.

At the end of the Quarterfinals RU is tied with Purdue for 10/11 spot with 12 points.

Iowa 58
Minn 54
OSU 48
PSU 48
Wisc 31
Nebr 29
Mich 25
Illi 24. 5
Nw 20
Purd 12
RU 12
Indi 11
MSU 5.5
Mary 0

these are the most up to date standing prior to the semi-finals...

1. Iowa 65.0
2. Minnesota 55.0
3. Ohio State 48.0
4. Penn State 48.0
5. Wisconsin 41.0
6. Michigan 33.5
7. Nebraska 30.0
8. Northwestern 29.0
9. Illinois 27.0
10. Rutgers 12.5
11. Purdue 12.0
12. Indiana 11.5
13. Michigan State 9.0
14. Maryland 1.5

Originally posted by belushijo:

Theo injury defaulted
And that's some of the disappointment
What were your expectations coming in for today?

Win every toss-up, pull out a bunch of upsets and go undefeated?

Let's keep some perspective here.
Don't create a straw man argument, please. My hopes were for some of the lower seeded guys to outperform their seeds and that only happened with one guy. Most of the guys got trounced. That was disappointing. Let's see if there is any redemption in the consolations.

My expectations were that our better wrestlers would at the very least hold serve or perhaps rise to the occasion and outperform . Two of our four top guys disappointed by any measure-one had an injury excuse. Smith won when expected and lost when expected. Ashnault can still be that surprise but it would require something extraordinary to beat the top guy.

I won't say that the team performed poorly, but, yes, I expected better,
IMO the only real disappointment in the tournament so far is AP's match. Other than that, I don't see what else you could have expected or why one could be so negative.

McCabe lost to top 12 Lambert, Delvecchio lost to top 12 Sabatello, Theobold lost to a higher ranked Pantaleo, Bakuckas already lost to Martin in the dual meet, Pafumi lost to 14th ranked Dudley, Hrymack lost to #6 Burak and Smith lost to #2 Medberry.

Like I said, only one real disappointment so far and its too early to say one way or the other. Would it have been nice to pull of more than one upset (Hrymack)? Sure. But the fact we didn't doesn't mean I think today was a failure. At least not yet. Still a lot of wrestling to be done.

You may very well be proven right by the end of the tournament, but that remains to be seen.

What would a successful tournament look like for you? How many placewinners/qualifiers?

I'm not sure of anyone's expectations but this is pretty much what I expected based on everything I've seen this year. I expected Ashnault/Stieber in the semis but wish Ashnault was in the bottom half of the bracket. My biggest disappointment is Perrotti. How do you get reversed 3 times?! "1 not 2." Theo's injury sucks but he wasn't beating Pantaleo anyway. Smith lost 6-3 to the #1 seed. Could he beat him? Maybe, but the guy has only 1 loss for a reason. Smith would need to open up on him & be more aggressive & offensive like he was his 1st match, but he hasn't all year for most matches so don't expect him to now.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I have to wonder if any of you have ever watched your team (and other B1G teams) wrestle before. This thread is depressing. Ashnault is a stud and your other guys in the Quarters wrestled their asses off. AP was a tossup so what were you expecting from him exactly? I think you had a heck of a first two sessions and your team points are all about the WBs/consies. Reading through this thread I saw a lot of unrealistic expectations and complaining. You should be proud of how your team did in its first B1G tourney and get behind Ashnault. Man is gonna be a good one. You couldn't ask for a better situation than him coming off a fall before facing Stieber.

love the enthusiasm but results so far are not bad. upsets work both ways. still plenty more wrestling to be done. hope Theo is OK, otherwise i am enjoying the tourney.

Originally posted by kjb32812:
I have to wonder if any of you have ever watched your team (and other B1G teams) wrestle before. This thread is depressing. Ashnault is a stud and your other guys in the Quarters wrestled their asses off. AP was a tossup so what were you expecting from him exactly? I think you had a heck of a first two sessions and your team points are all about the WBs/consies. Reading through this thread I saw a lot of unrealistic expectations and complaining. You should be proud of how your team did in its first B1G tourney and get behind Ashnault. Man is gonna be a good one. You couldn't ask for a better situation than him coming off a fall before facing Stieber.
Not to nitpick, as I agree with virtually all of what you said, but AP's match was not a toss up. He was the clear favorite. Returning AA, higher seed, higher rank and better resume.

For the NJ States followers , semi's are up at 5pm, NJcom has both mats covered. RU commits Paetzall & Gentile out w injuries, both would have been favorites. Commit Peter Lipari, had a sure win ,but had a defensive pin at the last second in the quarters, must be crushing for him. Ash probably will be up around 6:30-7pm

video.gif
LIVE STREAM NO. 1 - With audio commentary, best-bout roving camera
video.gif
LIVE STREAM NO. 2- One mat, with text updates

kjb you are so right. Rutgers fans have suffered for many years and don't realize how far this team needs to go. The kids wrestled hard today and did as well as most experts expected. It's great that are fans are hungry for success. They need perspect and realize who the competition is.

Thx KJB,
I am happy with progress in the team (But I am not a long and suffering fan as most of the posters here)

I would have liked to see AP pull out the Win, but he seems to have to wrestle on the edge to be successful.
I am disappointed with the injury to Theo and hope he will be ok.
Billy S seemed to wrestle better than he has against the top competition in the past and hopefully he can come back with 1 or 2 more wins in consolation rounds.
Lets see if Ashnault has made any progress in his matchup with Logan (I will be watching online)
I always like Hayden, but I always thought he needed to be stronger.
I think Hayden has a redshirt available, has there been any talk about him RS?

133, 141, 149 (Theo injury?), 157 (Wrestlebacks or WC), 285

174 & 197 need 2 wins IMO to get in the NCAA (I will have to see how many slotys B10 has at those weights.

I thought we would only have 5 qualifiers before the B10's
How many semi-finalist did we have in the EiWA last year?
I don't remember.

75 more minutes till 6!!

Originally posted by R U Crazy:
Stupid question of the day.
Delveccio gets a bye in the loser brackets, that puts him in the top 12.
Does he get a bid to the NCAA's?
was wondering that myself. not sure how its being handled. at the very least, delveccio would have to lose to either yenter msu or shepard ind to not get a bid and i dont see that happening.

One other thing. Look at the brackets. Outside of Brooks, almost everything went to plan except for a few fives (one being Ash who got a freaking fall).

I would suggest reserving judgement on your kids until they wrestle out.

9 autobids for 197
10 autobids for 174

1 more win for Hayden and Phil B. and they are in (Unless i looked at brackets wrong).
Go RU!!

Originally posted by Abro1975:

5m5 minutes ago

DelVecchio, Perrotti, Bakuckas, Pafumi, Hrymack and Smith all punch their tickets to NCAAs with one more win #B1GWRE15
That's what you want. More wrestling and a chance to become an AA.

I think DelVecchio is the kid I liked when we wrestled you at your place.

Can anyone tell me what happened to Campolattano?

Originally posted by Abro1975:

5m5 minutes ago

DelVecchio, Perrotti, Bakuckas, Pafumi, Hrymack and Smith all punch their tickets to NCAAs with one more win #B1GWRE15
Since I've got a lot to learn about positive spin, how many of these guys need to win for it to be considered an ok result. I guess the answer is probably 1. Is that right?

141-pounder Anthony Perrotti (Roseland, N.J.) all earned automatic qualifying bids to the 2015 NCAA Championships with their performances on the first day of the Big Ten Championships Saturday at St. John Arena. The NCAA trips are the first in the careers of Ashnault and DelVecchio, while 2014 All-American Perrotti qualified for the second consecutive year

Ashnault, DelVecchio, Perrotti Qualify For NCAAs

Originally posted by kjb32812:
A Penn State fan being more optimistic and encouraging about Rutgers sports than Rutgers fans? Watch out, you might break the brains of some of the negatoids here!
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT