ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen Wrestling Tournament Results and Update Thread

Looks like most of Rutgers wrestlers were seeded correctly.
Big difference was Theo, but the injury in first match may have affected him

Congrats Billy Smith !!

Watching Big10 on TV and now NJ State finals on njcom

We finished right in line with what was expected less Theo's injury. Overall, I wish we were able to pull off a few upsets or won more of those 2 point decisions. At the end of the day, we are still sending 4 out of the 6 wrestlers I thought had a chance of advancing to the show so it's not as if it's a big disappointment.

I was hoping we finished higher in the standings. Going into the tournament, I thought a 9th place finish was attainable with a few upsets and if we wrestled above expectations. I don't like finishing behind Purdue, but it us what it is.

This weekend was a step for our program, but we need to bring in more top dogs if we wish to make real noise in this league. On a positive, we raised a good amount of cash in this years pin pool with another weekend to go. Hopefully everybody on the board can participate next year because the funds are needed to take more steps.

B_mZlv9U8AA3ls5.jpg:large

Originally posted by Jersey Boys:
We finished right in line with what was expected less Theo's injury. Overall, I wish we were able to pull off a few upsets or won more of those 2 point decisions. At the end of the day, we are still sending 4 out of the 6 wrestlers I thought had a chance of advancing to the show so it's not as if it's a big disappointment.

I was hoping we finished higher in the standings. Going into the tournament, I thought a 9th place finish was attainable with a few upsets and if we wrestled above expectations. I don't like finishing behind Purdue, but it us what it is.

This weekend was a step for our program, but we need to bring in more top dogs if we wish to make real noise in this league. On a positive, we raised a good amount of cash in this years pin pool with another weekend to go. Hopefully everybody on the board can participate next year because the funds are needed to take more steps.
I really believe that this is the sport that Rutgers can make some noise in. You have a lot of good HS wrestling in your own state and PA right across the bridge. Some of those kids who can't get a scholly at PSU might give Rutgers a serious look instead of going to Edinboro, Clarion, etc. Please don't take my comment as a flame because it isn't. You just need to increase the overall talent level in the room and you can make some waves. Iowa is always going to be Iowa and it looks like PSU, OSU and MN are going to be near the top for a while, but you should really be able to crack that next layer. Once you do that, who knows what can happen.

I don't pull for you in football because it doesn't behoove me to do so (scarcity mentality I guess) but I pulled for everyone of your kids this weekend and will do the same at NCAAs (unless they wrestle a PSU kid of course).

See you in a few weeks.

Thanks kjb, your thoughts on wrestling and football seem pretty fair. B1G wrestling is such a dramatic step-up in competition I'm not sure there is another NCAA sport for comparison. The RU wrestling room may already be light years better than before and it is not apparent because of the brutality of the new gauntlet of a season they endured

ADVERTISEMENT