ADVERTISEMENT

Bisontis to Announce Sunday, 5:00

NIL at least gives a fighting chance
Before NIL, we weren’t competing for ships

Now w NIL, we need a donor or dinors to step up
Could be people, corporations, businesses, etc

If we got a Phil knight, t bone Pickens, Jimmy Rand, Ben Hill Griffin or Al Dunlap, we’d all be singing a different tune

Hopefully Pat and co are aware of this and are actively working to find that person / people - if not, get used to 7/5-8/4 and the occasional 9/3-10/2 every 7/8 years (and frankly that could be very generous)
I think the common thought here is that it puts us further behind right now, not closer

Reactions: koleszar and Zimm80
I think the common thought here is that it puts us further behind right now, not closer
Wholeheartedly disagree

If we get a few major donors / corporations to step up, we’ll be fine

If not, it’s Iowa/Sparty type ceiling (and probably lower as Sparty has NIL $ already flowing)

Wholeheartedly disagree

If not, it’s Iowa/Sparty type ceiling (and probably lower as Sparty has NIL $ already flowing)
While we wait for those folks to step up (wishful thinking) the lack of NIL$ is playing a big part right now with the top player in Jersey going elsewhere now matter how they spin it publicly. Bad timing for us in this specific situation.

It's the money and it's A&M. The joke is there is very little difference in a booster handing the kid a suitcase full money and suitecase full of money labeled NIL. The NCAA better figure out a way to get NIL dollars out of the recruiting process. Perhaps no NIL deal can be put in place until after enrollment.
NCAA won’t do anything.

Sign 4 year contracts with the players and then implement a 5 year post season ban for any non contractual payments.

Wholeheartedly disagree

You say if,
so you are hopeful, but not on target under present conditions

I don’t think we have the donors now, other programs do
Reportedly we are well behind Mich state
Texas A&M right now

Reactions: TM94goRU
It's the money and it's A&M. The joke is there is very little difference in a booster handing the kid a suitcase full money and suitecase full of money labeled NIL. The NCAA better figure out a way to get NIL dollars out of the recruiting process. Perhaps no NIL deal can be put in place until after enrollment.
It their NIL, don’t think the. NCAA can regulate. HS are now allowing NILs

You say if,

Texas A&M right now
Not to be a bonehead but why does so many our our post contain the word “if”. If this,if that, while we r ifing other schools are taking action.

Reactions: wheezer
While we wait for those folks to step up (wishful thinking) the lack of NIL$ is playing a big part right now with the top player in Jersey going elsewhere now matter how they spin it publicly. Bad timing for us in this specific situation.
What we we winning before NIL?
If people step up we at least have a shot

Thinking optimistically, what was Greg’s plateau recruiting wise pre-NIL? Consistent top 20, outside chance at top 15 every few years?

I’d rather have a shot then legit have zero chance to win ships. With NIL, we have a shot (assuming $ comes in)

Without NIL, zero shot IMO

Spot on.
Anybody saying NIL will get us closer is totally clueless.
Rutgers has few if any big donors compared to SEC and B1G programs. And even with Schiano back with the Program there are no new big donors on the horizon.
This is bad for us and will put us further beyond in competing for top recruits.

You say if,

Texas A&M right now
You’re 100 % correct

Right now not enough big $ donors,
also not enough Medium / small size, and no whales / big corporations

Again, we’re late to the party but I hope Pat is on it

If you think it’s discouraging to the fans it certainly kicks the coaching staff directly in the balls. Rutgers better realize and I ‘m speaking of alumni and large donors that can help set up NIL sponsorships. Otherwise we may as well be resolved to lower status even though we are currently in the B1G.

Spot on.
Anybody saying NIL will get us closer is totally clueless.
Rutgers has few if any big donors compared to SEC and B1G programs. And even with Schiano back with the Program there are no new big donors on the horizon.
This is bad for us and will put us further beyond in competing for top recruits.
What were we winning pre NIL? B1G once every 10 years? Is that the goal?

Greg said his goal was championships. National championships. To be the absolute best

You don’t get there without the players. And without the $, you don’t get the players

Before NIL was legal, it was going on. All over. If we want to win big, we need big $

Greg said his goal was championships. National championships. To be the absolute best

You don’t get there without the players. And without the $, you don’t get the players

Before NIL was legal, it was going on. All over. If we want to win big, we need big $
But but but we’re making sooo much money with this TV contract.

Cut Greg’s salary, then we can compete.

As an Aggie fan, I find this bit of a meltdown funny…from calling college station “barren” to the tired suitcases of money line…histrionics are entertaining even if not remotely true.

Fact, some fan bases have weaponized NIL better than others. A&M is one of those. RU just needs to catch up. This isn’t going away and you can’t blame a kid for choosing what is in HIS best interest.

Reactions: jsol_05
If you think it’s discouraging to the fans it certainly kicks the coaching staff directly in the balls. Rutgers better realize and I ‘m speaking of alumni and large donors that can help set up NIL sponsorships. Otherwise we may as well be resolved to lower status even though we are currently in the B1G.
If you fit the bill of a large donor with the ability to set up NIL sponsorships with your money, what would be your conditions before you wrote a check for $450.000 to a 17 year old?
Might it be no portal for you, and you must play in any bowl if healthy?

Ain’t happening. Where are the big new donors since Greg arrived? Even to get his new practice facility we will need to rely on B1G future funds/NJ subsidy. It is what it is. I want to win as badly as you but future expectations have been tempered.

I never pray for RU FB EXCEPT to ask for the players to stay healthy and to play their best .Should I break my rule for this young man?
I'd say now that dollars and cents are in place, yes. And booing athletes who are paid is allowed now as well.

Ain’t happening. Where are the big new donors since Greg arrived? Even to get his new practice facility we will need to rely on B1G future funds/NJ subsidy. It is what it is. I want to win as badly as you but future expectations have been tempered.
I agree
At this point in the game, I’d be very (pleasantly) surprised if we get up to the big boys NIL level
But there is a shot - whereas before, there was no shot

If you fit the bill of a large donor with the ability to set up NIL sponsorships with your money, what would be your conditions before you wrote a check for $450.000 to a 17 year old?
Might it be no portal for you, and you must play in any bowl if healthy?
No Zap I would not write a check as I personally questioned this going forward . Not the players wanting some additional compensation but you could see the outcome. I have ( had ) donated for over 39 years . This is now going in the wrong direction. Unionization ? And I’m pro union . Cutting Women’s sports $$$$, NIL was one thing . No controlling mechanism is complete insanity. You played MLB and pre unions it was cut throat as your dad would have made outrageous coin in today’s world. It is shameful for the NCAA to not even attempt to stabilize this new payout system.You should be paid for what YOU produce. Bisontis did what any kid would do.Take the money and run…I think that’s how the song goes.Being a true student athlete is tough , grueling especially at that level but we will see major issues going forward especially for premier kids.

We shouldn’t wish any player ill but as I just posted if the hierarchy of college sports doesn’t institute some sanity it is going to lead to other unwanted things. Rutgers will have to either anti up or face the reality of being top tier but on the bottom rung.

No set aside a Rutgers fan NIL fund for 4-5 players each season you want to highlight.
Absolutely
That’s a start
Then come out with a set amount like Day did in C-Bus
Doesn’t have to be public, but eventually needs to happen

jim carrey disbelief GIF

😉😜

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Again this caliber of player is going to be making much bigger dollars ( huge vs. NIL} in just 3 or 4 years in the NFL.
I get it that A&M has deep pockets and is probably throwing close to 6 figures in NIL $$$ to a senior in HS.
Rutgers too is offering something in NIL money I am sure. You would think playing at home in front of family & friends each weekend would have some intrinsic value to a young player and might offset some of the NIL difference.
Any good family or friend member is gonna say take the NIL money and I will fly out there to watch you play on my dime.

What Schiano said is what all head coaches say. What is he suppose to say? Someday we hope to be an 8-4 team in the B1G? For any RU fan thinking of the football program seriously competing for the B1G championship or something more please get serious. Let’s hope he can get RU to the point of consistently getting to some 2nd tier bowl games….if they exist in another 4 or 5 years. RU is not going to have the $$$ support to seriously compete with these other areas of the country where the college football team is the thing. That is never going to be the reality here.

Rutgers has 2 big donors. NIL makes it that much more difficult. Basically we are screwed.

What Schiano said is what all head coaches say. What is he suppose to say? Someday we hope to be an 8-4 team in the B1G? For any RU fan thinking of the football program seriously competing for the B1G championship or something more please get serious. Let’s hope he can get RU to the point of consistently getting to some 2nd tier bowl games….if they exist in another 4 or 5 years. RU is not going to have the $$$ support to seriously compete with these other areas of the country where the college football team is the thing. That is never going to be the reality here.
Greg repeated the same thing at both intro press conferences - that he wanted Rutgers to be number one

Plenty of coaches take the podium with far less grand proclamations

If we were Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, northwestern etc with little to no on state talent, Bball centric fanbases (or nada in NW case) and in a state without nyc in their backyard, then I’d be ok w Sparty type ceiling

But we’re in a state of 9 mil people, tri state must have 25 mil or thereabouts, half mil living alumni, in state talent in top 15 in nation and eastern PA/NY all close, and we’re ok w perineal 6-6/7-5, with occasional 8-4/9-3?

We can, and should aim, to be better
Wall Street $$, business $, private donor $, etc - Hobbs & co. should be on the hunt

Its there, but it’s up to them (and us) to find it and donate if we want to fulfill Greg’s vision

Reactions: Plum Street
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT