ADVERTISEMENT

Blocking/Charge Insanity

Eagleton96

All American
Jul 25, 2001
What is going on with blocking/charge calls? I swear I see no rhyme or reason. Every time there is contact just flip a coin. How long can it go on like this without some change? Is there any discussion of altering the rule or how it's called?

where have you been for the last 50 years? Its a judgment call. They put in the Circle, they added the flop, and they still can't get it right. Consistency has never been an attribute for refing. And there are so many other examples...

Reactions: jrm75
Tough call to make eyes have two be in two places at once but only one guy responsible for the call.

where have you been for the last 50 years? Its a judgment call. They put in the Circle, they added the flop, and they still can't get it right. Consistency has never been an attribute for refing. And there are so many other examples...
Nah. It's different. It used to be the O player had the right of way and the D player needed to get to the spot first and have feet set. There were still lots of tough calls, but now the feet set thing is gone. It's now based on...frankly I have no idea what it's based on. I guess if the O player lowers the shoulder or pushes off that's gonna get called. But for body contact it's a total mystery to me.

I forget who Wahl gave a forearm shiver to as he drove to the hoop and got the block call. Blatant. Announcers didn’t say a word about it. Cliff’s ‘and 1’ shouldn’t have been. Point is, teams get calls when they are aggressive taking it to the rim. Has always been that way.

There are a lot more charge calls these days - the criteria for establishing defensive position seems to have eased a bit.

There are a lot more charge calls these days - the criteria for establishing defensive position seems to have eased a bit.

There are a lot more, but I agree with OP that there seems to be little rhyme or reason to what constitutes a block, a charge, or "play on". Definitely inconsistent game to game - but frequently even within the same game.

Today was a clear charge, he gave Hyatt a forearm shiver and Hyatt had ground…
Agreed, I instantly called for the offensive foul when that play happened. Looked clear. I couldn't believe Crowl wasn't whistled when his shoulder took Paul out for a couple of minutes when he hedged on the screen.

Reactions: jrm75
I forget who Wahl gave a forearm shiver to as he drove to the hoop and got the block call. Blatant. Announcers didn’t say a word about it. Cliff’s ‘and 1’ shouldn’t have been. Point is, teams get calls when they are aggressive taking it to the rim. Has always been that way.
Cliff's "and 1" was a joke, but it was the difference between a win and a loss.

Block/charge has always been the toughest call for an official. Even if you work a million games it doesn't get easier. I use to go by my gut and make the call without over thinking it.
It's never going to change.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
There are a lot more, but I agree with OP that there seems to be little rhyme or reason to what constitutes a block, a charge, or "play on". Definitely inconsistent game to game - but frequently even within the same game.
Not entirely inconsistent. Better players, especially when having a good game almost always get the 50/50 calls in their favor and subs never do. Remember, it’s entertainment first, competiton second.

TJD prob hasn’t been called for a charge all year, and I remember when Shane Battier had a reputation for drawing charges and his senior year may never once have been called for a blocking foul. It was a charge if a player was within 5 feet of him

So yea, sometimes reffing is predictably consistent.

Nah. It's different. It used to be the O player had the right of way and the D player needed to get to the spot first and have feet set. There were still lots of tough calls, but now the feet set thing is gone.

^ this ^

Reestablish that and at least some of the subjective judgement goes away

Without requiring the defender to establish clear position it seems to come down to “which player was more aggressively making contact?”

No wonder the refs get it wrong so often!!! It’s actually unfair to them.

Honestly you’d think basketball would want to keep the old way (offensive player has right of way unless defender establishes clear position) as that help offense - and don’t all these leagues want to encourage offense these days?

—-

There was a charge call on paul a few games ago where he was driving and he and the defender bumped a few times. He didn’t lower his shoulder or push off. Was just driving and there was contact with the defender (who was running along side paul). And paul got a charge!!! Was bizarre. Honestly I would have been totally ok with a no call there (sure some body-to-body contact but whatever it wasn’t a lot). But to call that on the driving offensive player …. WTF?!?

Reactions: Eagleton96
Ref was afraid to make the right call on Hyatt. Super Bowl outcome could have hinged on a referee’s (correct) call.

We saw Oskar and Hyatt take charges (both were the wrong calls)

I commend both

When a guy flies backward it’s a flop 99.8% of the time. On the other hand, backing down a player using physical power to move a guy should be an offensive foul.

Reactions: ChasRC69 and ruinac
Honestly you’d think basketball would want to keep the old way (offensive player has right of way unless defender establishes clear position) as that help offense - and don’t all these leagues want to encourage offense these days?
Agree 100%. Except that it's getting to be all people care about is three point shooting. When everyone is shooting threes no one has to worry about block/charge calls.

Reactions: Shelby65
Agreed, I instantly called for the offensive foul when that play happened. Looked clear. I couldn't believe Crowl wasn't whistled when his shoulder took Paul out for a couple of minutes when he hedged on the screen.
I asked about this in a different thread but no answer.
The play where Paul got the stinger, I am not as up to date on basketball rules as much as football but Paul was driving and the defender just jumped into his lane, feet still moving and completely blocked his lane with obvious hard contact.
What am I missing?

Reactions: NBHPRU
What is going on with blocking/charge calls? I swear I see no rhyme or reason. Every time there is contact just flip a coin. How long can it go on like this without some change? Is there any discussion of altering the rule or how it's called?

The Hyatt call was so bad. They need to add coaches challenges to college hoops. He stuck his elbow into Andre’s midsection like that easily would have gotten overturned. And how can the baseline ref who can’t see that, make that call. It’s wild.

The call involving Cliff had nothing to do with block/charge. The referee called a hold. I expected the basket to count with a flop called on top of it, because Cliff clearly did not foul him. Apparently, the referee saw the defender doing something on the ground as Cliff went by for the dunk after what appeared to be a flop.

A lot of the issues wirb refs calls is thsr they are not in the position to make the call….

And, an opinion, is that they work too many games to be able to go up and down. At the top level to be physically quick enough to. Be in the right position

We see the same people over and over again…they travel and do games like a nba player

It’s really bad now. I actually blame the players instead of the refs. The players come up with new ways to bait the refs into calling the charge rather than playing straight up. The second the offensive player dips his shoulder, the defensive player immediately flops and the ref bites. I can’t stand it. You don’t see it too much out of our guys, but that because our guys can actually play defense

Reactions: Unionst
Just curious what everyone thinks about this one......

Would adding a 4th Ref result in better calls, more calls, less calls if the Refs are in a better position on the court to see contact on a play ?

My contention is that Refs are not seeing plays at the proper angle to make the correct calls. They "see" things that are not there because they are out of position. Resulting in more calls and wrong calls.

Last edited:
The was another party yesterday where Reiber was defending and got knocked 3 feet back leaving the wisky player open for a layup. I agree with allowing someone to back down but thought that should have been called a offensive foul

Just curious what everyone thinks about this one......

Would adding a 4th Ref result in better calls, more calls, less calls if the Refs are in a better position on the court to see contact on a play ?

My contention is that Refs are not seeing plays at the proper angle to make the correct calls. They "see" things that are not there because they are out of position. Resulting in more calls and wrong calls.
Not seeing the calls from the proper angle doesn’t keep refs from making them. I find it infuriating when a ref 40 feet from the play makes a call and the closer guy did not whistle it. The close guy should obviously have jurisdiction over the nearby space.

It was a hold, not a block called on that play.
Maybe I missed something, but on the Cliff and one play, baseline ref called the foul and definitely didn't signal a hold on that play (hand grabbing his other wrist would be a hold). Play starts about 2:43 into the game highlights below. As was already mentioned in the Cliff and one thread, Ref signaled a block.

Last edited:
Not seeing the calls from the proper angle doesn’t keep refs from making them. I find it infuriating when a ref 40 feet from the play makes a call and the closer guy did not whistle it. The close guy should obviously have jurisdiction over the nearby space.

A real problem , one that starts with an official making a call not in their “zone” , and a decent percentage of the time , because they are not in position

Good referring requires moving a lot more in position to have the correct angles , based on player movements , to not be blocked , should be constantly moving 5-6 feet in each directors

Instead …they are almost always stationary ….

I find it partially due to fatigue and working too many games

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
A real problem , one that starts with an official making a call not in their “zone” , and a decent percentage of the time , because they are not in position

Good referring requires moving a lot more in position to have the correct angles , based on player movements , to not be blocked , should be constantly moving 5-6 feet in each directors

Instead …they are almost always stationary ….

I find it partially due to fatigue and working too many games
Scarlet Shack.. Just curious. Do you notice any difference in the quality of officiating now, bad/missed calls, etc, compared to when you played at RU?

Scarlet Shack.. Just curious. Do you notice any difference in the quality of officiating now, bad/missed calls, etc, compared to when you played at RU?

Not a RU player , lol…..

But what I see is that a trend of the game getting bigger and faster and thsr the refs can’t always keep up.

The refs don’t get a substitution in a game , they run uo and down for 50 feet and don’t even get a place to sit during tine outs …

I can’t blame the officials . They get paid per game and they are flying from place to place or driving rent a cars in between games a lot and just don’t get a lot of down time and want to earn as much as possible . That’s their right

I think the leagues , should force these guys to only ref a certain anoint of games per week and per month ….and if they work in another league , it gets subtracted from the total . Pay them more per game . So they are fresher for when they ref

I asked about this in a different thread but no answer.
The play where Paul got the stinger, I am not as up to date on basketball rules as much as football but Paul was driving and the defender just jumped into his lane, feet still moving and completely blocked his lane with obvious hard contact.
What am I missing?
You’re missing nothing . I was a foul

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT