ADVERTISEMENT

Can A.J. beat out Gavin?

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Is he “that guy”? Accurate? Read defense? Arm strength? It’s a big leap that few true freshman have done.

He comes in January so he gets in the system. Got to think that he believes he has shot.

Last edited:
No, he’s not that guy. AJ is a tremendous prospect, but he’s going to need next year to acclimate to this level of competition. Let him take next year to learn the playbook and get into true game shape.

It’s very rare that a freshman can come in and start, and he will be in the mix, but to expect him to start is a bit unfair.

Plus we have a quarterback that is taking us bowling, and will beat all the teams we’re supposed to beat.

Reading a defense is not required. We saw that all season. KC did it all this year.

Rutgersal, the playbook? Do you mean the pamphlet? A QB should need about 15 minutes to learn our offense.

Without the requirement to make post snap decisions, I'd be disappointed if he can't take the starting position.

GW struggled badly with deep throws and short throws. I'm not sure what reading the defense would do for him.

I saw AJ play this year. He can compete for the job, I see no way he wins it. He needs a season in the weight room. Time to full learn the play book. The competition he faced in HS wasn’t great. It wouldn’t be pretty against B1G defenses

No, he’s not that guy. AJ is a tremendous prospect, but he’s going to need next year to acclimate to this level of competition. Let him take next year to learn the playbook and get into true game shape.

It’s very rare that a freshman can come in and start, and he will be in the mix, but to expect him to start is a bit unfair.

Plus we have a quarterback that is taking us bowling, and will beat all the teams we’re supposed to beat.
Beating the teams we are supposed to beat won’t get us anywhere next year, no less a bowl. Gavin didn’t “take us to a bowl”, let’s be honest the Defense did, as did Kyle.

Beating the teams we are supposed to beat won’t get us anywhere next year, no less a bowl. Gavin didn’t “take us to a bowl”, let’s be honest the Defense did, as did Kyle.
Nonsense. Gavin made key plays in 5 of the 6 games especially in the MSU game. Without his contribution, we’re not bowling.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Before the season, we were picked to win 4 games. Then we beat everyone we are supposed to beat and got 6 wins. Hmmmm. I agree the run game and D got us to the bowl. That also means the D and the run game lost the other 6 games.

Respectfully disagree. As @robjknight pointed out, other B1G freshman have started. Heck in the PAC-12, the freshman scout team QB for Cal came in mid season with no experience and passed for 63% completion and tore it up. He was a 2 star recruit with an offer from Cal and only 2 Ivies. Why is it that Rutgers fans think a QB has to age like a fine wine before they are game ready?

at North Texas (W, 58-21) 0-1-0, 0.0 rating; 1 rush, -3 yards, -3 long ... Cal debut
Oregon State (L, 40-52) 21-32-1, 207 yards, 2 TD, 38 long, 134.3 rating; 5 rushes, 41 yards, 14 long; 41 all-purpose yards; 41 yards from scrimmage ... first career start ... career-high-tying interceptions
at Utah (L, 14-34) 10-17-1, 149 yards, 2 TD, 48TD long, 159.5 rating; 7 rushes, 12 yards, 13 long; 12 all-purpose yards; 12 yards from scrimmage ... career-high passer efficiency rating ... career-high-tying interceptions
USC (L, 49-50) 25-39-1, 292 yards, 2 TD, 26 long, 138.8 rating; 8 rushes, 48 yards, 16 long; 48 all-purpose yards; 48 yards from scrimmage ... career-high pass completions, passing attempts, rushes, rushing yards, all-purpose yards and yards from scrimmage ... career-high-tying interceptions ... career-long rush
at Oregon (L, 19-63) 18-34-1, 177 yards, 30 long, 90.8 rating; 3 rushes, -12 yards, 7 long; -12 all-purpose yards; -12 yards from scrimmage ... career-high-tying interceptions
Washington State (W, 42-39) 14-21-0, 150 yards, 36 long, 158.1 rating; 7 rushes, 5 yards, 10 long; 5 all-purpose yards; 5 yards from scrimmage ... first collegiate win as a starting quarterback
at Stanford (W, 27-15) 24-36-1, 294 yards, 54TD long, 157.2 rating; 6 rushes, -8 yards, 5 long; -8 all-purpose yards; -8 yards from scrimmage ... passing yards and touchdown passes ... career-long completion ... second consecutive win at quarterback helm

Reading a defense is not required. We saw that all season. KC did it all this year.

Rutgersal, the playbook? Do you mean the pamphlet? A QB should need about 15 minutes to learn our offense.

Without the requirement to make post snap decisions, I'd be disappointed if he can't take the starting position.

GW struggled badly with deep throws and short throws. I'm not sure what reading the defense would do for him.
doesn’t look like he struggled to me on this throw.

Simon is the #2 QB, he would have a chance in the spring. He is a on the light side and maybe doesn't run as fast but his skills might have improved. Players are always improving as they continue to grow and develop.

Raeden Oliver 6'2" 200 lbs
Colin O'Sullivan 5'11" 175 lbs
Ajani Sheppard 6'2" 230 lbs
Evan Simon 6'3" 205 lbs
Gavin Wimsatt 6'3" 225 lbs

Respectfully disagree. As @robjknight pointed out, other B1G freshman have started. Heck in the PAC-12, the freshman scout team QB for Cal came in mid season with no experience and passed for 63% completion and tore it up. He was a 2 star recruit with an offer from Cal and only 2 Ivies. Why is it that Rutgers fans think a QB has to age like a fine wine before they are game ready?

at North Texas (W, 58-21) 0-1-0, 0.0 rating; 1 rush, -3 yards, -3 long ... Cal debut
Oregon State (L, 40-52) 21-32-1, 207 yards, 2 TD, 38 long, 134.3 rating; 5 rushes, 41 yards, 14 long; 41 all-purpose yards; 41 yards from scrimmage ... first career start ... career-high-tying interceptions
at Utah (L, 14-34) 10-17-1, 149 yards, 2 TD, 48TD long, 159.5 rating; 7 rushes, 12 yards, 13 long; 12 all-purpose yards; 12 yards from scrimmage ... career-high passer efficiency rating ... career-high-tying interceptions
USC (L, 49-50) 25-39-1, 292 yards, 2 TD, 26 long, 138.8 rating; 8 rushes, 48 yards, 16 long; 48 all-purpose yards; 48 yards from scrimmage ... career-high pass completions, passing attempts, rushes, rushing yards, all-purpose yards and yards from scrimmage ... career-high-tying interceptions ... career-long rush
at Oregon (L, 19-63) 18-34-1, 177 yards, 30 long, 90.8 rating; 3 rushes, -12 yards, 7 long; -12 all-purpose yards; -12 yards from scrimmage ... career-high-tying interceptions
Washington State (W, 42-39) 14-21-0, 150 yards, 36 long, 158.1 rating; 7 rushes, 5 yards, 10 long; 5 all-purpose yards; 5 yards from scrimmage ... first collegiate win as a starting quarterback
at Stanford (W, 27-15) 24-36-1, 294 yards, 54TD long, 157.2 rating; 6 rushes, -8 yards, 5 long; -8 all-purpose yards; -8 yards from scrimmage ... passing yards and touchdown passes ... career-long completion ... second consecutive win at quarterback helm

Successful freshman QBs are the exception, not the rule. We don’t recruit ready made QBs. Our QBs develop over time. Let the kid acclimate next year. There’s no reason to throw him into the fire unless injury makes it necessary. Furthermore, in two years time, the WR Corp will be in much better shape, and whomever the qb is, will be well positioned for success.

Simon is the #2 QB, he would have a chance in the spring. He is a on the light side and maybe doesn't run as fast but his skills might have improved. Players are always improving as they continue to grow and develop.

Raeden Oliver 6'2" 200 lbs
Colin O'Sullivan 5'11" 175 lbs
Ajani Sheppard 6'2" 230 lbs
Evan Simon 6'3" 205 lbs
Gavin Wimsatt 6'3" 225 lbs
It’s all but a given that Simon is transferring out

You do know his QB rating right? Anyone can cherry pick plays. Surely you don’t want us to start posting clips of the overthrows, and everything else do you?
You do know we’re going bowling, right? That’s the only thing that matters. He got the job done, end of story.

Reactions: ldwnmas
On the bright side Wimsatt will get a ton more experience and training over the summer, so he will only get better. And Taulia Tagovailoa will be in the NFL, plus we won't play Ohio State Michigan or Penn State next year.

Reactions: Kbee3 and ldwnmas
Al, can you also queue up his previous 15 deep throws? It wouldn't be pretty.

Against our top 10 opponents, how many deep shots did we attempt and how many were completed? I'd say the majority were thrown out of bounds.

Reactions: SBP

Because D is not optional in the B1G?

I'm kidding about 15 minutes but look at our plays this year. Could it have been more basic? This is not a complex system and it looked like GW made very few post snap decisions all year.

I'd challenge someone list the number of times GW came off the primary read and threw to a different receiver. He didn't even pretend to look at a different receiver (Maryland QB did this a number of times against us).

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I'm kidding about 15 minutes but look at our plays this year. Could it have been more basic? This is not a complex system and it looked like GW made very few post snap decisions all year.

I'd challenge someone list the number of times GW came off the primary read and threw to a different receiver. He didn't even pretend to look at a different receiver (Maryland QB did this a number of times against us).
Or take off and run
He only ran on designed run plays

Reactions: Rutgers36
Notre Dame went 9-1 this season yet are still ranked only 71st in New Jersey by maxpreps. They play some of the worst competition in the entire region, possibly middle Atlantic, and that is going to be a problem. The kid has the pedigree. He has the measurements and the skills. He does not have experience against much difficult competition, at all, and that is a major problem. He needs a year as a red shirt IMHO. I would like to think that AJ, his dad, and the coaching staff understand that as well

By the way, if I’m wrong, then he’s a Heisman candidate trophy in three years.

Notre Dame went 9-1 this season yet are still ranked only 71st in New Jersey by maxpreps. They play some of the worst competition in the entire region, possibly middle Atlantic, and that is going to be a problem. The kid has the pedigree. He has the measurements and the skills. He does not have experience against much difficult competition, at all, and that is a major problem. He needs a year as a red shirt IMHO. I would like to think that AJ, his dad, and the coaching staff understand that as well

By the way, if I’m wrong, then he’s a Heisman candidate trophy in three years.

Is he similar to Art?

I saw AJ play this year. He can compete for the job, I see no way he wins it. He needs a season in the weight room. Time to full learn the play book. The competition he faced in HS wasn’t great. It wouldn’t be pretty against B1G defenses
Not saying impossible but highly doubtful. Once again our board QB gurus and highly skilled former and current high school players and coaches always know best. They do this all the time yet they aren’t currently “ on a staff” above Pop Warner . I have seen AJ in three games . Yes he will be a very good prospect but let’s not do to this kid what RU rivals board posters have always done. Let him progress at his rate and learn the system. Let’s hope we are building a WR corps and a group of TE’s who not only block but cause havoc for DB’s attempting to guard them. That is a major issue still.

Is he similar to Art?
I think he’s better than Art. Art actually played against excellent competition in high school. This kid is smart, he’s incredibly athletic, his accuracy is pretty good. But, again, he has played shit competition in high school. Not his fault.

I think he’s better than Art. Art actually played against excellent competition in high school. This kid is smart, he’s incredibly athletic, his accuracy is pretty good. But, again, he has played shit competition in high school. Not his fault.
He will be a good QB for Rutgers if we continue O line improvements, WR / TE position and allow him time to learn. This idea of playing every highly touted true frosh is good at those football factory types. We are not anywhere near that level and Schiano has made mention of this many ,many times. Tom Savage had that potential early on but got knocked around in year two here.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
He will be a good QB for Rutgers if we continue O line improvements, WR / TE position and allow him time to learn. This idea of playing every highly touted true frosh is good at those football factory types. We are not anywhere near that level and Schiano has made mention of this many ,many times. Tom Savage had that potential early on but got knocked around in year two here.
I’m pretty sure the reason he is only a 3.6 3-star is due to his high school competition BUT…his ceiling is BOOM!

Reactions: RUBOB72
Writing is on the wall bruh
Players talk

What makes you believe he’ll stay to wear a baseball cap the rest of his playing career ?

Look at Cole, he got to be the guy at Buffalo

Evan could start on many teams too
I'm not saying that it's not going to happen and truthfully I'm surprised that it didn't happen over last summer. It's just that you say it with so much certainty that I was wondering what your source was.
As you said eventually it's up to Evan.

p.s. It's a little thing but please don't call me "bruh". My "bruh" days are a distant memory.

I'm not saying that it's not going to happen and truthfully I'm surprised that it didn't happen over last summer. It's just that you say it with so much certainty that I was wondering what your source was.
As you said eventually it's up to Evan.

p.s. It's a little thing but please don't call me "bruh". My "bruh" days are a distant memory.
Ll Cool J GIF by reactionseditor

😉

I would be surprised if Simon stays but who knows except the player, family and maybe Schiano himself. Sheppard (who I like ) is the guy I want to stay. I think he actually if given the chance can be a solid 2 in year 2 here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT