ADVERTISEMENT

Can A.J. beat out Gavin?

Receivers typically have to adjust to deeply thrown balls, so its not a big deal. Good receivers do so effortlessly.
Stop making excuses Al. You stated GW didnt struggle on that throw. A couple of people pointed out he did struggle to make the throw correctly. It was either late or underthrown. Take your pick. Washington had a big step on the DB, and if thrown correctly, should have landed into Washington's hands...in stride..and into the end zone. Dont say he didnt struggle with the throw then come right back and say "recievers typically have to adjust". Washington didnt merely adjust. He slammed on the brakes due to the underthrown ball.

I’m talking about the consistency at the position too.

How can you expect the quarterback to be consistent, when our tackles are getting beaten by Penn State Ends all game long? How can you expect the quarterback to be consistent when the wide receivers lack the ball skills to beat defensive backs on most 50/50 balls? Yes Wimsatt threw inaccurately at times. But there were also times where the defensive back broke up the play. That doesn’t happen if we had Kenny Britt, Underwood, or Carroo in our WR Corp. it is impossible for the quarterback to be consistent because our WR and TE Corp lacks talent. Fix talent issues at WR and TE and then we can talk about the consistency of the quarterback..

Sorry Al but I call bullshit on this one.

GW has had plenty of time to throw in most games this season and most of the time the incompletions are not 50/50 balls, not even close. He couldn't throw a 8 yard screen pass last Saturday. Even on completions he rarely hits anyone in stride without the WR needing to adjust.

Considering the data as well as watching the games with your own eyes, it's clear to most that regardless of the talent at any other position, that GW is one of the most inaccurate starting quarterbacks in all of FBS.

If you don't see that or can't admit that, I think your perception is in conflict with the evidence.

6 Wins is the only statistic which matters, and that’s one stat no i one can ever take from him. The objective this year was to go bowling and we’re going bowling, end of story.
So this is why the offense was shut down from the Iowa game on…

Stop making excuses Al. You stated GW didnt struggle on that throw. A couple of people pointed out he did struggle to make the throw correctly. It was either late or underthrown. Take your pick. Washington had a big step on the DB, and if thrown correctly, should have landed into Washington's hands...in stride..and into the end zone. Dont say he didnt struggle with the throw then come right back and say "recievers typically have to adjust". Washington didnt merely adjust. He slammed on the brakes due to the underthrown ball.
I reject your characterization of the throw.

He threw the ball in the ballpark of the wide receiver. The throw was made effortlessly, and he did not struggle to make it, and he intentionally double pumped before he made the throw.

True the ball placement was not optimal or perfect and the receiver did have to reach back for it, but so what.

at to end of the day, he threw a catchable deep ball which was caught. I watched Ken Dorsey make it to the NFL on similar type throws:

Sorry Al but I call bullshit on this one.

GW has had plenty of time to throw in most games this season and most of the time the incompletions are not 50/50 balls, not even close. He couldn't throw a 8 yard screen pass last Saturday. Even on completions he rarely hits anyone in stride without the WR needing to adjust.

Considering the data as well as watching the games with your own eyes, it's clear to most that regardless of the talent at any other position, that GW is one of the most inaccurate starting quarterbacks in all of FBS.

If you don't see that or can't admit that, I think your perception is in conflict with the evidence.
His issues are mechanical. When he demonstrates good mechanics, he throws an NFL ball. When he doesn’t, the ball can sail or he misfires.

He has improved his accuracy by roughly 400 basis points from last year. If he can show similar improvement next year, we will be in good shape.

His issues are mechanical. When he demonstrates good mechanics, he throws an NFL ball. When he doesn’t, the ball can sail or he misfires.

He has improved his accuracy by roughly 400 basis points from last year. If he can show similar improvement next year, we will be in good shape.
lol @ using basis points to describe a completion percentage as to try and make your point more psychologically impactful when unless you throw 10,000 passes, a basis point would be wholly meaningless. You crack me up dude.

That said GW's completion percentage went from 44.8% in 2022 to 47.8% in 2023 which is a 300 basis point increase. Increasing the same again next year would put his completion percentage at 50.8% which would prop GW up from DEAD LAST in completion percentage, to 4th from last. (Compared to 2023 stats)

I can't continue this conversation. You win. Lmao

One thing we know for sure is GW is a lot better than Gary Nova was. I think we can all agree to that. Nova threw 51 interceptions in his career which lost us many games. And he had NFL receivers on the team to throw to.

6 Wins is the only statistic which matters, and that’s one stat no i one can ever take from him. The objective this year was to go bowling and we’re going bowling, end of story.
You continue to show unbridled confidence in Wimsatt … lord knows why.
He is not inexperienced as you claim. Wimsatt has now played QB in 24 games at Rutgers.
Thrown over 425 passes!!!!! He is not inexperienced..
The same mistakes are seen today as were in Game#1. Inaccurate passes overall the place, unable to read Defenses, locking onto One Wr only, etc. This will never change. Time for a new QB.

One thing we know for sure is GW is a lot better than Gary Nova was. I think we can all agree to that. Nova threw 51 interceptions in his career which lost us many games. And he had NFL receivers on the team to throw to.

Not the year he had Fridge.

Is he “that guy”? Accurate? Read defense? Arm strength? It’s a big leap that few true freshman have done.

He comes in January so he gets in the system. Got to think that he believes he has shot.
I like Sheppard. He should be given a legitimate shot next year.

lol @ using basis points to describe a completion percentage as to try and make your point more psychologically impactful when unless you throw 10,000 passes, a basis point would be wholly meaningless. You crack me up dude.

That said GW's completion percentage went from 44.8% in 2022 to 47.8% in 2023 which is a 300 basis point increase. Increasing the same again next year would put his completion percentage at 50.8% which would prop GW up from DEAD LAST in completion percentage, to 4th from last. (Compared to 2023 stats)

I can't continue this conversation. You win. Lmao
Forgive me for not remembering the decimals, but I am allowed to use terminology I’m comfortable with.

Wimsatt had 1,651 yards passing and 488 yards rushing, which puts his total offense at
2,139. A 50.8% completion percentage next year would be good enough, as we are still building the talent in the WR and TE rooms.

His total productivity allowed us to beat the teams we were supposed to beat, and that’s the bottomline.

I wouldn't be surprised if GW went into portal. AJani and Evan would need to step right in and show they can produce. AJ, still think has the goods, comes from football family and knows the XO's... either way, my opinion... need a change at the QB right away, or at least a fair competition this spring.
Simon will likely go into the portal.

I said it right before the season started: Simon was the better quarterback coming out of camp. I was able to attend two camp practices and Simon had the stronger and more accurate arm. My buddy, a HC from a top HS team said it was obvious that Simon was a better thrower but GS is giving the job to GW because he’s “the future”.

When I said Simon looked better and should be QB1, I was mercilessly dragged by a bunch of you forum jockeys back in August.

Nonsense. Gavin made key plays in 5 of the 6 games especially in the MSU game. Without his contribution, we’re not bowling.
Did he really make plays that any other competent Power 5 QB couldn't have made? The D and Kyle won those games.

Did he really make plays that any other competent Power 5 QB couldn't have made? The D and Kyle won those games.
Yes. He made enough plays to keep Rutgers competitive with Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State for 3 Quarters. He definitely wasn’t perfect, but he was good enough. This was the best showing vs All 3 of those programs since we joined the Big Ten.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Yes. He made enough plays to keep Rutgers competitive with Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State for 3 Quarters. He definitely wasn’t perfect, but he was good enough. This was the best showing vs All 3 of those programs since we joined the Big Ten.
Our red zone offense was putrid. He didn’t make the plays we needed to win games. Didn’t complete basic passes to maintain drives. The list goes on and on. Al you are defending poor qb play. He made some plays this year but missed an enormous number of plays in so many ways. It’s not defensible. The qb spot was an anchor around our offensive ankle.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
respectfully disagree Al... i said I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into Portal. And whether he is "our guy" or not, he is not getting results and not improving at the pace he should. But more importantly, it is up to him if he wants to go into portal. And with his youth, and "fair" criticism, he just may want out, or feels that he is not being handled the right way. Our OL and running back made the offensive advances this year... not GW. and defense did fairl well. So, is GW really the guy?
These posters are the issue .

Our red zone offense was putrid. He didn’t make the plays we needed to win games. Didn’t complete basic passes to maintain drives. The list goes on and on. Al you are defending poor qb play. He made some plays this year but missed an enormous number of plays in so many ways. It’s not defensible. The qb spot was an anchor around our offensive ankle.
In 40 red zone trips, we scored TDs in 25 of them and scored field goals in 9 of them.

Our opponents had 42 red zone opportunities and scored TDs in 25 of them and scored field goals on 6 of them.

So our red zone productivity was roughly on par with the teams we played.

Reactions: NickRU714
In 40 red zone trips, we scored TDs in 25 of them and scored field goals in 9 of them.

Our opponents had 42 red zone opportunities and scored TDs in 25 of them and scored field goals on 6 of them.

So for as good as our defense was - that was how bad the offense was?

Good point. I would love to see this broken down by game. Sure seems like our red zone offense was quite bad second half of the season.

Good point. I would love to see this broken down by game. Sure seems like our red zone offense was quite bad second half of the season.
Predictably, the stats will likely look better against worse opponents and worse against better opponents.

Al will continue to find excuses. He just doesn’t get it and never will.

AJ could beat Gav in his sleep. Hell, my 14yr old son looks better than Gav and he's a DB!

can't believe anyone is still defending Gav and not ready to move on. He doesn't have it, team won despite him, he held us back from 2 more wins

I said early on; we will never beat the teams that we COULD beat with him, he just doesn't have it

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
Oh really.. these posters? cause you are the "all knowing" of sports and RU Football ? Just be quiet.
Thanks …you finally figured it out. WTFAY to tell someone to “ just be quiet.” You don’t like hearing the truth about negative posters?

Thanks …you finally figured it out. WTFAY to tell someone to “ just be quiet.” You don’t like hearing the truth about negative posters?
....and you can still be quiet too LOL ... what? you don't like hearing the truth about GW either? in a fog of denial as well? an apologists for every all the bad plays he made? Just stop... is this forum just supposed to be a Cookies and ice cream of euphoria? Truth hurts... sorry, if you cannot handle that !

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Is the Asbury Park Press a negative poster? They were hard on GW, the passing game and Schiano after the Maryland game.

Should they be quiet too? To be fair, they highlighted KM's monster season to keep it balanced which was great I thought. You can see the good and the bad.

Al will continue to find excuses. He just doesn’t get it and never will.
you don’t get that Gavin is our quarterback, who will be starting in our bowl game. You don’t seem to understand that the Big Ten is a huge step up from the level AJ played at. AJ will have his year, but it’s not likely to be next year.

Is the Asbury Park Press a negative poster? They were hard on GW, the passing game and Schiano after the Maryland game.

Should they be quiet too? To be fair, they highlighted KM's monster season to keep it balanced which was great I thought. You can see the good and the bad.
have to admit, I always like the asbury park press, they always seemed to be pretty balanced and not afraid to say things outoud and not just for football

Reactions: TheKnightclub
....and you can still be quiet too LOL ... what? you don't like hearing the truth about GW either? in a fog of denial as well? an apologists for every all the bad plays he made? Just stop... is this forum just supposed to be a Cookies and ice cream of euphoria? Truth hurts... sorry, if you cannot handle that !
As I would tell you and a few others GFY👍🪓❤️

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 ... you are such a fool.... OMG... in your own world. Sure you are happy there !!
Yes an old fool attempting to show a child what exactly was printed. And trust this kid… I’m very happy especially when I realize how well trained you are.

Yes an old fool attempting to show a child what exactly was printed. And trust this kid… I’m very happy especially when I realize how well trained you are.
HAHAHAA..... silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.... numbers don't lie. If you click your heels a few times, I am sure what you say will happen. Trust away... and watch another offensive season underperform. The offense excelled in areas despite him, and other QB's would have performed same if not better. Nothing spectacular here... 11 for 34 passing and similar does not get it done. So trust away... wanting something to happen does not mean it will happen.. .But you know everything....

Reactions: RUTGERS95
you don’t get that Gavin is our quarterback, who will be starting in our bowl game. You don’t seem to understand that the Big Ten is a huge step up from the level AJ played at. AJ will have his year, but it’s not likely to be next year.
Yes he is the QB for our bowl game.
Yes….GS hopefully finds a different QB to run the offense next year.
Hopefully being the key word.

HAHAHAA..... silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.... numbers don't lie. If you click your heels a few times, I am sure what you say will happen. Trust away... and watch another offensive season underperform. The offense excelled in areas despite him, and other QB's would have performed same if not better. Nothing spectacular here... 11 for 34 passing and similar does not get it done. So trust away... wanting something to happen does not mean it will happen.. .But you know everything....
Know quite a great deal especially with posters such as yourself. Realize the difference here buddy boy and it’s quite simple. Gavin had an ok year… not a good /great year. Allowing a spring competition to decide who leads into summer camp without the actual common sense to understand even if Schiano brought in a Top 5 QB there would probably be some GoodOl’Rutgers types complaining after a loss . Do you suggest this 4 game losing streak is totally on Wimsatt? There is much blame to go around the program up and down . Hopefully is not my choice of direction. So just remember … it’s easy for people to sit on the side, watch on the TV and criticize these professionals.😜👏🪓

• Haha
Know quite a great deal especially with posters such as yourself. Realize the difference here buddy boy and it’s quite simple. Gavin had an ok year… not a good /great year. Allowing a spring competition to decide who leads into summer camp without the actual common sense to understand even if Schiano brought in a Top 5 QB there would probably be some GoodOl’Rutgers types complaining after a loss . Do you suggest this 4 game losing streak is totally on Wimsatt? There is much blame to go around the program up and down . Hopefully is not my choice of direction. So just remember … it’s easy for people to sit on the side, watch on the TV and criticize these professionals.😜👏🪓
okay Captain "know-it-all", just keep believing in leprechauns, unicorns, and 3-wish genies. Buddy boy !!! you got more to learn and know and realize #numbers don't lie. Just stop, as you have no case. And stop criticizing people who have a fair opinion. Your posts have no substance... So stop throwing stones in glass houses.. .BUDDY BOY !!! 😂🤣😂🤣

Reactions: RUBOB72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT