ADVERTISEMENT

Can A.J. beat out Gavin?

I saw AJ play this year. He can compete for the job, I see no way he wins it. He needs a season in the weight room. Time to full learn the play book. The competition he faced in HS wasn’t great. It wouldn’t be pretty against B1G defenses
Hopefully it will be a real open competition and some wacky ludicrous announcement in April that Wimsatt is the starter. The bar at QB can’t be any lower at any other FBS program. Bring in a QB in the Portal if you really believe that Gavin is the best we got.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
Before the season, we were picked to win 4 games. Then we beat everyone we are supposed to beat and got 6 wins. Hmmmm. I agree the run game and D got us to the bowl. That also means the D and the run game lost the other 6 games.
Don’t forget that two teams’ coaching staffs imploded due to scandal and we benefited greatly from the circumstances.

Reactions: JCin128
doesn’t look like he struggled to me on this throw.

Please get a clue. Your enthusiasm /passion is unmatched in the Rutgers universe and that is admirable. However your knowledge of football is sorely lacking. Wimsatt is at the very bottom of FBS QB ratings. See the attached thru yesterday as complied by the NCAA. Look down on page #3 and you will find Wimsatt. He is #106 for Passing Efficiency. Try your spin…. Meaningless. We need to move on.

Don’t forget that two teams’ coaching staffs imploded due to scandal and we benefited greatly from the circumstances.
NW and MSU both kept the entire staff and team. Only the HC was let go. Worked ok for Mich.

Please get a clue. Your enthusiasm /passion is unmatched in the Rutgers universe and that is admirable. However your knowledge of football is sorely lacking. Wimsatt is at the very bottom of FBS QB ratings. See the attached thru yesterday as complied by the NCAA. Look down on page #3 and you will find Wimsatt. He is #106 for Passing Efficiency. Try your spin…. Meaningless. We need to move on.
6 Wins is the only statistic which matters, and that’s one stat no i one can ever take from him. The objective this year was to go bowling and we’re going bowling, end of story.

Reactions: JCin128
You play who's on the schedule, when they're on the schedule. We still won 2 more games, with a chance at a third, then most people expected. There are no asterisks on these wins.
My point was specifically to preseason expectations of winning 4 games.

Had there been information that a week before we play NW, there would be a coaching scandal that would lead to Fitzgerald being fired and that Mel Tucker would also be fired two weeks before we played them, then expectations would be higher than 4 wins.

You do know we’re going bowling, right? That’s the only thing that matters. He got the job done, end of story.
We're going to Yankee Stadium. This is progress I suppose, but it's a prize for finishing .500 and puking our guts out down the stretch. Stop making it this amazing success. It only means we didn't totally suck like the last 10 years. I'll take progress, but Gavin was along for the ride, not driving the bus.

Hopefully it will be a real open competition and some wacky ludicrous announcement in April that Wimsatt is the starter. The bar at QB can’t be any lower at any other FBS program. Bring in a QB in the Portal if you really believe that Gavin is the best we got.
I honestly think that they should bring in a grad senior to push Gavin. Let AJ run the scout team in 24. It can only benefit him

Nonsense. Gavin made key plays in 5 of the 6 games especially in the MSU game. Without his contribution, we’re not bowling.

With the exception of running based stats, GW is in or near the bottom quartile of every single major QB stat metric in D1 ( Including QBR which accounts for strength of defense)

Based on the data, its a good assumption that we could have had almost anyone who was qualified for a D1 QB role instead of GW this year, and would have acheived an equal or better record on the season.

Total QBR, while imperfect, is a way better stat than PE, as it incorporates running stats/impacts, which is pretty damn important, as he ran on 30% of plays he threw or ran on, plus we ran on 65% of our total plays, so the running game was a key to our success. He's 82 of 128 in Total QBR, which is a bit below average, but not the "terrible" tag some are placing on him.

If he can make a significant jump next season on accuracy and making multiple reads (and scrambling better), perhaps we can get to more than 6 wins, which was pretty good for this team, IMO. Doesn't mean there shouldn't be an open competition next year or that we shouldn't consider transfers, but my opinion is that he's our best option currently on the team.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

We're going to Yankee Stadium. This is progress I suppose, but it's a prize for finishing .500 and puking our guts out down the stretch. Stop making it this amazing success. It only means we didn't totally suck like the last 10 years. I'll take progress, but Gavin was along for the ride, not driving the bus.
Gavin drove the bus making key plays down the stretch in all our Victories, whether it was making a TD Run against Indiana or making key throws to complete a comeback vs MSU, to name a few.

6 Wins is the only statistic which matters, and that’s one stat no i one can ever take from him. The objective this year was to go bowling and we’re going bowling, end of story.
Ahh, so he's a "meets expectations" guy on his annual reviews...I'm looking for guys who exceed expectations. Thanks, we'll be in touch.

My point was specifically to preseason expectations of winning 4 games.

Had there been information that a week before we play NW, there would be a coaching scandal that would lead to Fitzgerald being fired and that Mel Tucker would also be fired two weeks before we played them, then expectations would be higher than 4 wins.

Fitzgerald was in trouble when those predictions were made. Tucker was indeed unexpected.

Gavin drove the bus making key plays down the stretch in all our Victories, whether it was making a TD Run against Indiana or making key throws to complete a comeback vs MSU, to name a few.

I can hit what seems like a pro level golf shot once in a while but that doesn't mean I have what it takes to join the PGA tour.

Consistency is what separates those with the physical potential from those who can actually perform at this level.

Last edited:
I am in agreement with some others. You bring in a grad transfer QB and let's see what he can do and maybe move GW to wideout(GW kind of reminds me of Johnnie L in that he was a good high school QB who just doesn't have it, throwing wise, at this level). I believe that with his size and athleticism who could be a difference maker.

Reactions: RAC93
Without a viable deep pass threat, every D will do what we have pretty much seen all year which is pack the box.
KM's running ability is pro level. Nobody else really showed anything other than our QB who was taking a real chance every time he took off.
Right now, I am truly concerned with how we will do in the bowl game.

Does it matter?
Unless the staff is ready to work through a QB developing, not sure it will matter who the QB is.

What happens when Saurace or Sheppard throws an INT?
We immediately go back to running it non-stop?

Still skeptical that HC Schiano/OC KC are willing to live with the risks of letting the QB (any QB) work through mistakes and not resort to the "safe harbor" of running out the clock at the first sign of trouble.

What happens when Saurace or Sheppard throws an INT?
We immediately go back to running it non-stop?

Not sure. But what I'm certain of is there will be calls to bench the thrower and bring in the other.

Ahh, so he's a "meets expectations" guy on his annual reviews...I'm looking for guys who exceed expectations. Thanks, we'll be in touch.
How are you helping our program exceed expectations for in a landscape, where the best programs are making $13M in annual NIL payments and have sunk hundreds of millions of dollars in facilities?

Its easy to run your mouth. What we need is for people to open their wallets.

our collective level of support will only produce 6-8 wins at best. Maybe we get lucky, once in a blue moon.

I can hit what seems like a pro level golf shot once in a while but that doesn't mean I have what it takes to join the PGA tour.

Consistency is what separates those with the physical potential from those who can actually perform at this level.
It easy to share platitudes about consistency.

But it’s not possible for us to be successful when facing better programs, because they have much more talent than we do, and they are better resourced than we are.

We are working to close the talent gap, but it’s not easy, and will take time. Right now we are a 6-8 win program AT BEST. Some years we might fall below that level.

How are you helping our program exceed expectations for in a landscape, where the best programs are making $13M in annual NIL payments and have sunk hundreds of millions of dollars in facilities?

Its easy to run your mouth. What we need is for people to open their wallets.

our collective level of support will only produce 6-8 wins at best. Maybe we get lucky, once in a blue moon.
Hey, you're the guy with the fancy NYC address, I'm a working man in Central Jersey. I bought my season tickets in 2008 and kept them through the Flood and Ash regimes so I did my part when most others fled, and today I do what I can. If you're looking to put the finances of RU football's roster on the backs of people like me, the program is dead.

I am in agreement with some others. You bring in a grad transfer QB and let's see what he can do and maybe move GW to wideout(GW kind of reminds me of Johnnie L in that he was a good high school QB who just doesn't have it, throwing wise, at this level). I believe that with his size and athleticism who could be a difference maker.
No we’re not bringing in a grad transfer quarterback to see what he can do, when our current quarterback got us bowling. A grad transfer quarterback has for the most part failed elsewhere, unless someone is looking to jump up a level. You can use transfers to fill holes. Can’t use transfers to build a program around because they are a short term solution.

We’ve seen this movie before, and our history with transfer quarterbacks has not been good, and has ultimately been a waste of time. At least with Gavin, we can get to 6 wins with a subpar WR and TE Corp, which we are still building.

The right way to go about this is to continue to recruit and develop HS quarterbacks because we can get a better quarterback that way.

It easy to share platitudes about consistency.

But it’s not possible for us to be successful when facing better programs, because they have much more talent than we do, and they are better resourced than we are.

We are working to close the talent gap, but it’s not easy, and will take time. Right now we are a 6-8 win program AT BEST. Some years we might fall below that level.
You are mixing apples and oranges Al.

We are not talking about the team in this thread. We are talking about the performance issues at one position.

There are many programs that have less talent overall and less resources than Rutgers, yet consistently get better play out of the QB position.

You are mixing apples and oranges Al.

We are not talking about the team in this thread. We are talking about the performance issues at one position.

There are many programs that have less talent overall and less resources than Rutgers, yet consistently get better play out of the QB position.
I’m talking about the consistency at the position too.

How can you expect the quarterback to be consistent, when our tackles are getting beaten by Penn State Ends all game long? How can you expect the quarterback to be consistent when the wide receivers lack the ball skills to beat defensive backs on most 50/50 balls? Yes Wimsatt threw inaccurately at times. But there were also times where the defensive back broke up the play. That doesn’t happen if we had Kenny Britt, Underwood, or Carroo in our WR Corp. it is impossible for the quarterback to be consistent because our WR and TE Corp lacks talent. Fix talent issues at WR and TE and then we can talk about the consistency of the quarterback..

Let's also not forget, we played by far the toughest in conference schedule out of all the B1G teams. And to boot, we threw in a bowl team in the OOC schedule.

Reactions: mdk01
I wouldn't be surprised if GW went into portal. AJani and Evan would need to step right in and show they can produce. AJ, still think has the goods, comes from football family and knows the XO's... either way, my opinion... need a change at the QB right away, or at least a fair competition this spring.

Hey, you're the guy with the fancy NYC address, I'm a working man in Central Jersey. I bought my season tickets in 2008 and kept them through the Flood and Ash regimes so I did my part when most others fled, and today I do what I can. If you're looking to put the finances of RU football's roster on the backs of people like me, the program is dead.
Then I don’t want to hear that you want someone who exceeds expectations, because he doesn’t have the support to do so.

Expecting Rutgers to beat Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, Iowa, or Ohio State is not realistic at this point. Hopefully things change in a couple of years. But for now, beating these teams is a bridge too far.

I wouldn't be surprised if GW went into portal. AJani and Evan would need to step right in and show they can produce. AJ, still think has the goods, comes from football family and knows the XO's... either way, my opinion... need a change at the QB right away, or at least a fair competition this spring.
GW is not going into the portal because we are committed to him. He’s our guy until we hear otherwise.

AJ is going to need time to acclimate to this level of play. He will need to get used to the speed of the game, especially because the league he plays in, is terrible. While he holds the clipboard, we will continue to recruit the WR and TE positions, and by the time he’s ready to start, he will be well positioned for success.

Reactions: RUBOB72
GW is not going into the portal because we are committed to him. He’s our guy until we hear otherwise.

AJ is going to need time to acclimate to this level of play. He will need to get used to the speed of the game, especially because the league he plays in, is terrible. While he holds the clipboard, we will continue to recruit the WR and TE positions, and by the time he’s ready to start, he will be well positioned for success.
respectfully disagree Al... i said I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into Portal. And whether he is "our guy" or not, he is not getting results and not improving at the pace he should. But more importantly, it is up to him if he wants to go into portal. And with his youth, and "fair" criticism, he just may want out, or feels that he is not being handled the right way. Our OL and running back made the offensive advances this year... not GW. and defense did fairl well. So, is GW really the guy?

respectfully disagree Al... i said I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into Portal. And whether he is "our guy" or not, he is not getting results and not improving at the pace he should. But more importantly, it is up to him if he wants to go into portal. And with his youth, and "fair" criticism, he just may want out, or feels that he is not being handled the right way. Our OL and running back made the offensive advances this year... not GW. and defense did fairl well. So, is GW really the guy?
Yes, he is the guy because he played an integral role in our 6 wins, up from 4 wins last year. We won all our winnable games and were completely outclassed in the rest. The results were good enough for now.

No we’re not bringing in a grad transfer quarterback to see what he can do, when our current quarterback got us bowling. A grad transfer quarterback has for the most part failed elsewhere, unless someone is looking to jump up a level. You can use transfers to fill holes. Can’t use transfers to build a program around because they are a short term solution.

We’ve seen this movie before, and our history with transfer quarterbacks has not been good, and has ultimately been a waste of time. At least with Gavin, we can get to 6 wins with a subpar WR and TE Corp, which we are still building.

The right way to go about this is to continue to recruit and develop HS quarterbacks because we can get a better quarterback that way.
If you think GS won't consider bringing in a transfer qb then I don't know what to say. It is almost a guarantee that we bring in one transfer qb....if one will take the chance.

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
doesn’t look like he struggled to me on this throw.

I got news for you Al. Yes it does look like he struggled on that throw. The WR had a clear step on the DB. The throw was late and the receiver had to slam the brakes on to adjust for the catch. I'll have to guess the DB was surprised as hell because he knew he was beat if the pass was thrown correctly. Funny you didnt cue the 10 yard, wide open receiver pass that flew feet over his head, the short pass thrown before the feet of the receiver, or the completion he should have made but went straight into the arms of a MD player on the sidelines who was watching the game without his helmet on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT