ADVERTISEMENT

Carino: Unfinished Business for Geo

Geo is great and I'd welcome him back. But I worry if he's coming back to stamp his name on the NCAA player rights progress side and if that complicates his role and motivation on the basketball side.

Would he be totally focused? Would he potentially carry the bruises and negativity of the legal side into the locker room? Does he work as hard as he can in practice to be a better player (and that work ethic carries through to the team)?

I'm sure the answers Geo, coach, and others would give are simply "it would have no effect and he's back to win".

But the reality is, to be a figure head of something like that and go toe-to-toe with all the lawyers, etc. involved - there will be heavy baggage and emotions that carry over. Its a long and grinding season. Whether he wants to admit that upfront or not.

Geo is great and I'd welcome him back. But I worry if he's coming back to stamp his name on the NCAA player rights progress side and if that complicates his role and motivation on the basketball side.

Would he be totally focused? Would he potentially carry the bruises and negativity of the legal side into the locker room? Does he work as hard as he can in practice to be a better player (and that work ethic carries through to the team)?

I'm sure the answers Geo, coach, and others would give are simply "it would have no effect and he's back to win".

But the reality is, to be a figure head of something like that and go toe-to-toe with all the lawyers, etc. involved - there will be heavy baggage and emotions that carry over. Its a long and grinding season. Whether he wants to admit that upfront or not.

I would hope this is LONG OVER - at least the negotiation side of it that involves the athletes - before the season begins. Maybe I’m just dreaming but agree that it may be very difficult for him to give his all to both -again - as it’s hard to look at this past season and think it didn’t affect him (and the team) at times.

Reactions: gregkoko
I would hope this is LONG OVER - at least the negotiation side of it that involves the athletes - before the season begins. Maybe I’m just dreaming but agree that it may be very difficult for him to give his all to both -again - as it’s hard to look at this past season and think it didn’t affect him (and the team) at times.
Hopefully it will be over by next year and the games will be on the players minds more than their argument with the NCAA..
That looks like it will be decided by the Supreme Court , unless both the NCAA and Student/Athletes work out a deal before the Supreme Court makes its decision.
Which way it will be is hard to guess and from what I found on the decision subject a justice or two seems to be leaning in ways I didn't expect. them to be.
But that doesn't mean they'll vote that way when it's time to decide the case.

As for Baker ( any player) not being able to give his all can't say that didn't/can't happen, too many things can make a 100% effort less than it usually is if something is bothering a player and fogs up their mind a bit.

It's impossible. The margins are too small at this level. Notice all the guys leading this are guys whose teams are all out of the tournament.

YOu know who isn't interested in this stuff? Gonzaga players.

until Jones & Miller get acclimated - which will take at least until January - Geo will help stabilize for the first 2-3 months; I don't think he will have an issue coming off the bench if the younger group shows up.

Reactions: RUPete and gregkoko
Wasn’t Livers involved the whole time? He easily could’ve been in the final 4
Yea. As he is sitting on the sidelines with a broken foot.

Go look at Zags guys Twitter. Jalen Suggs stands to gain a lot more than Geo Baker. Yet he’s focused on team and basketball.

You can’t be your best doing both of these things. You just can’t.

Yea. As he is sitting on the sidelines with a broken foot.

Go look at Zags guys Twitter. Jalen Suggs stands to gain a lot more than Geo Baker. Yet he’s focused on team and basketball.

You can’t be your best doing both of these things. You just can’t.

Agree. I was saying from mid-January that something was t right “in the locker room” it was VERY obvious from body language on the court at various times.

I think some people just don't like his activist spirit.
Im all for people fighting for what they want but do so in an adult manner. Hes approaching this in the worst way possible. Whining, complaining, saying hes treated like a slave, using emoji’s about an issue hes apparently serious about. Hes acting like a petulant privileged child, in large part because he is

Put me firmly in the shut up and dribble and get off my lawn crowd. Although, if he came back, presumably he'd stop moping around for the whole season because Young (and his playing defense and trying to run an offense) would gone.
So in other words he has no value as a person but only as a player. I think you just made his case.

until Jones & Miller get acclimated - which will take at least until January - Geo will help stabilize for the first 2-3 months; I don't think he will have an issue coming off the bench if the younger group shows up.
Geo is NOT coming back to be a bench player

So in other words he has no value as a person but only as a player. I think you just made his case.

His value to me exists as (a) an entertainer, and (b) a representative of the university, and by proxy, me an alumnus. As a representative of the university, I do not agree with his politics and believe, if taken to their logical conclusion, it would destroy college sports (in general) and Rutgers sports (specifically). As an entertainer, he regressed this year and appeared miserable ... and I found him less entertaining than he had been in the past.

If he doesn't want his Rutgers scholarship next year, there a couple thousand kids that would cut off their right arms to have it instead.

His value to me exists as (a) an entertainer, and (b) a representative of the university, and by proxy, me an alumnus. As a representative of the university, I do not agree with his politics and believe, if taken to their logical conclusion, it would destroy college sports (in general) and Rutgers sports (specifically). As an entertainer, he regressed this year and appeared miserable ... and I found him less entertaining than he had been in the past.

If he doesn't want his Rutgers scholarship next year, there a couple thousand kids that would cut off their right arms to have it instead.

Why does a representative of the university have to agree with your politics? I hate to tell you that most of the kids at Rutgers probably don’t. If uou want someone who agrees with your politics you can support Bob Jones University or Liberty Athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT