ADVERTISEMENT

Carino with Pike comments here.

It’s true. He should say it.

absolutely agree, just surprising to hear it from Pike. He is beyond pissed at Hyatt. Pissed at one of his players to a degree I have never seen before.
It's completely, 100% true and I understand why he said it. But he shouldn't. It doesn't do anyone any good. And Pike knows that more than anyone, which is why he never does it.

Reactions: gregkoko
Stop, please. What he said was tame. You’re making it like he called the kid’s personal integrity into question. Hyatt absolutely blew it in a pivotal game. He deserves any and all criticism from a basketball standpoint. Frankly, Pike is again being gentle. Pretty sure re-visiting his commentary here is not gonna be the reason he (Pike) doesn’t sleep tonight.

Stop, please. What he said was tame. You’re making it like he called the kid’s personal integrity into question. Hyatt absolutely blew it in a pivotal game. He deserves any and all criticism from a basketball standpoint. Frankly, Pike is again being gentle. Pretty sure re-visiting his commentary here is not gonna be the reason he (Pike) doesn’t sleep tonight.

I mean in an absolute sense...yeah. This would be tame from plenty of coaches, just an eyebrow raiser coming from pike.

why shouldnt he say it...it was atrocious for an experienced player
What good comes from it? That's the kind of thing you address in private.

Again I'm not saying it's some horrible transgression. But if Pike could have that one over I doubt he says it again.

Reactions: GORU2014
I don’t see a problem with what he said. Andre is an upper class men and should be able to handle the criticism.

With that said, it’s not fair to only call Andre out by name. Paul was awful. Caleb missed a key free throw. Mention them by name as well.

Hopefully Pikiell also called himself out as well.

I couldn't stomach the post game stuff, but did Pike address the two big things he could've done differently from a coaching perspective, i.e., calling TO after Caleb's made FT and not pressuring the inbounds pass after that made FT? Those were huge coaching gaffes IMO. Pike can't play, but he can put the team in better situations to win.

I don’t see a problem with what he said. Andre is an upper class men and should be able to handle the criticism.

With that said, it’s not fair to only call Andre out by name. Paul was awful. Caleb missed a key free throw. Mention them by name as well.

Hopefully Pikiell also called himself out as well.
Pike should have been like the Penn St coach Shrewsberry and said he got outcoached.

It's kind of hard to coach yourself to a choke like that. You could put me on the sideline and we'd win like 99.6% of the time.

Honestly doesn’t look as bad on hyatts part when watching the replay. Point being he didn’t make the best decision he could’ve made, but the one he did certainly isn’t a back breaker.

Plenty of time to still get across half court and get the ball into your team captain point guard in stride. Paul made the worse play, by making the worst of the situation he was in.

Prior to post game I said pike is loyal to one player above all, paul. Referenced if Paul’s back next year his role won’t change and that if Hyatt was back it’s fine because Pike wouldn’t hesitate to adjust his role if he stunk. And here we are seeing Pike throw Hyatt under the bus an absolved (essentially) Paul.

Also what shit a opening to Carinos article he can’t even hide it

Honestly doesn’t look as bad on hyatts part when watching the replay. Point being he didn’t make the best decision he could’ve made, but the one he did certainly isn’t a back breaker.

Plenty of time to still get across half court and get the ball into your team captain point guard in stride. Paul made the worse play, by making the worst of the situation he was in.

Prior to post game I said pike is loyal to one player above all, paul. Referenced if Paul’s back next year his role won’t change and that if Hyatt was back it’s fine because Pike wouldn’t hesitate to adjust his role if he stunk. And here we are seeing Pike throw Hyatt under the bus an absolved (essentially) Paul.
With ya 100%. Paul had plenty of time to get ball across. I suspect he thought he had less time and that is why he threw the ball cross court. But that's on Paul. He needs to step up there as a 4 year player, PG, and captain.

I’m cool with Pike calling it out as long as he called out Paul’s play for the entire game and his decision to give Paul so many minutes. IMHO, I think Pike was hoping Paul can play himself out of the slump. Pike thought the game was in hand so it was like a “practice”. Minnesota didn’t get the memo.

Reactions: DirtyRU
With ya 100%. Paul had plenty of time to get ball across. I suspect he thought he had less time and that is why he threw the ball cross court. But that's on Paul. He needs to step up there as a 4 year player, PG, and captain.
Or call time out

Reactions: RUDead
Pike not only did call out his guys a little - he has every right to and should. The veterans on this team completely melted down and they are accountable for that. If you can’t handle some well earned criticism from the coach even in a public forum; you don’t have what it takes to play and succeed at this level. It’s not grade school. Steve had to address the obvious otherwise risk losing the fan base and the media support for that matter.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Wow I have NEVER seen Pike throw an individual player under the bus like he did to Hyatt there re: the backward pass. That's how bad it was. Brutal.
Maybe he knows something about Hyatt that we don't?
Hyatt must be an extremely frustrating player to coach. It's his fifth year in college and he seems like a Freshman in a lot of ways.

Reactions: FastMJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT