ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball falls to Penn State, 61-46

I am stunned at how much people view Pikiell as the savior. This is year 7. We made the tournament twice. One was a play in game. We made the NIT last year and got hammered. Ok, Paul and Cam left. How much improvement have you seen from Omeruyi? Simpson? Hyatt? Everyone loses talent every year. You need to make sure the next group is ready. Where is that? If you think next year's team will be fine, I can sell you a bridge in New Brunswick. In fact, don't be surprised that the talent coming in next year is squandered. There has never been an offensive identity and expecting defense out of true freshman is an Everest level ask.
You sir are correct

Missing foul shots and Baldwin has had 8 steals in a game. Have to be strong with the ball.

I am stunned at how much people view Pikiell as the savior. This is year 7. We made the tournament twice. One was a play in game. We made the NIT last year and got hammered. Ok, Paul and Cam left. How much improvement have you seen from Omeruyi? Simpson? Hyatt? Everyone loses talent every year. You need to make sure the next group is ready. Where is that? If you think next year's team will be fine, I can sell you a bridge in New Brunswick. In fact, don't be surprised that the talent coming in next year is squandered. There has never been an offensive identity and expecting defense out of true freshman is an Everest level ask.
I’ve kept quiet on this, but I agree. Holding out hope for next year, but certainly not banking on anything great.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
pike has a great recurring class coming in next year. He has not, however, been a great recruiter. Look at this team.
Great - his coaches recruited players. Are you confident they can be coached to win within a one year window when he has two of the better ones?

Too many reaches in recruiting. Simple as that. We failed to build off our momentum from making the tournament. I have no idea who the hell is steering Harper and Bailey to RU, but thank you very much

Reactions: tm_nj
I’ve kept quiet on this, but I agree. Holding out hope for next year, but certainly not banking on anything great.
This team had a summer (extra time) to gel and play. And what we got is the garbage on the floor for now a few games, not just a one off.

Reactions: tm_nj and FrankZ
4 on 5 with Oskar in.
He had Oslar and GG in together for a while which is criminal. Which is 3 on 5. Take a look at Oskar’s line today. He had a rebound with nothing else to show for his 15 minutes tonight. Would love to know his plus/minus for the year

He can shoot the three. It's hard for me to call him a scorer. I'm gonna be sexist. He goes to the basket like a girl. I apologize.
Fair enough. I still have more confidence in him being able to score that many others. ..and we scored 45 points tonight

I’ve said this for a while. Pike is an average overall coach. He can get teams fo play hard and play some good defense but can’t coach offense, and had flunked recruiting new players and re recruiting his own players. No innovation. No feel for substitutions. I’ve said this for years. Unless we win and win big next year, it’ll be a slow walk until he too is fired.
Been in that camp for awhile.

Reactions: RutgersChow
We were abysmal in conference play and were sleep walking against UMD, PSU, and OSU. Started down 5-0 against UMD and couldn’t get a quality look off
I just told you that was before Cameron went down. The last game he played was Princeton. The B1G season started immediately thereafter. We scored 14 goals against Princeton who was a top ten team. Almost all were 6v6

Cameron went down and we scored 7 goals the following week and never broke 12 against some teams ranked lower.

Cameron going down changed the season completely.

The team with better players and better coaches won. That's all.
First year with mostly transfers, playing without his best player and coaching at a program with less winning history than Rutgers, and he beats Pikiel at the RAC in Pike's eighth year, and pretty easy no less. Disgraceful. Staff's just not good

Reactions: rucoe89
This is officially the worst set of guards in the Pike era. None of them would start on any of Pike’s prior teams. Even the early ones. Corey, Geo and Nigel Johnson are better than what we have right now. The forwards were better too. And those weren’t good teams.

I have seen enough. These players truly are TERRIBLE..no bball IQ...stand around and no movement on offense...cant shoot the easiest shot out there..not the FT rather the layup

When I take a step back this is ALL on coaching!! You need to make the most out of what you have(you did recruit them here). We have zero offensive strategy
Surprised you didn't get a hundred likes.

This is officially the worst set of guards in the Pike era. None of them would start on any of Pike’s prior teams. Even the early ones. Corey, Geo and Nigel Johnson are better than what we have right now. The forwards were better too. And those weren’t good teams.
Worst roster of the pike era and it’s not really close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT