ADVERTISEMENT

Chol first to portal

#FreeChol is finally freed

I was mostly joking but in games where everyone was horrible and no one could make anything there was nothing to lose to see if he might drill a couple

He was worth a shot with his size and length and supposed 3 point shooting to see if he developed but it didn't happen. His D was pretty terrible and he would just chuck anything up. Didn't pan out. Oh well move on
I wish you would have been a little clearer on the first part because at times I thought somebody had hacked you.
He would certainly have done two things in your scenario..provided much needed entertainment or embarrass the team further. You're right. It might have been worth the risk just for the levity but what if he had actually made some shots? yikes.

Reactions: RAC93
Shame on the folks who actually listen to and trust coach speak.
apparently the players have figured that out too I guess.
Seriously, don't you want your coach to have credibility when he talks publicly? There is a big difference between coach speak and total bull crap.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it was because he wasn't good enough. In fact, I'll double down and dare to write that this same suggestion might have something to do his being in the portal.

maybe, just MAYBE, Pike knew what Chol was capable of (or not capable of) based on the HUNDREDS OF HOURS he saw him in practice. just maybe.

Seriously, don't you want your coach to have credibility when he talks publicly? There is a big difference between coach speak and total bull crap.
Wow, someone woke up pissed off today. What would you have him say? "You know, Antonio is a good kid, works hard, can't guard a trash can and has no conscience when shooting. But we need another body as a practice player so we keep him around." Is that better for you?

Last edited:
Wow, someone woke up pissed off today. What would you have him say? "You know, Antonio is a good kid, works hard, can't guard a trash can and no has conscience when shooting. But we need another body as a practice player so we keep him around." Is that better for you?
Hey this is a good mood lately lol. The weather has been awesome. I'm a couple of days past from the cliff we feel off of.

Again, you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about this one particular comment. More so things like the scripted comments to start every post game and things like this team is going to score 80 points... just a couple other examples.

Just be real man (him not you).... for a guy that seems as authentic as he is it should be easy. You can still be an effective salesperson and still be able to point out some less than positive (see how I spun that) things. It builds credibility.

Lol you're overreacting to the most innocuous stuff.

If I remember correctly this past offseason he would mention Chol almost like an afterthought... "oh yea and Chol, he can really shoot it"

The players that matter love Pike. Yes this was a disappointing season, but your axe grinding with him is ridiculous.

Hey this is a good mood lately lol. The weather has been awesome. I'm a couple of days past from the cliff we feel off of.

Again, you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about this one particular comment. More so things like the scripted comments to start every post game and things like this team is going to score 80 points... just a couple other examples.

Just be real man (him not you).... for a guy that seems as authentic as he is it should be easy. You can still be an effective salesperson and still be able to point out some less than positive (see how I spun that) things. It builds credibility.
He's not going to throw players under the bus to the press and I'm fine with that. And, I don't recall him misleading people about Chol. He may have said some positive things in the preseason, but he wasn't constantly beating the drum for him. And most fans on this board are pretty smart, we could tell pretty early on that this wasn't working so we never put much stock in those comments. This is what happens when you have a sh$tty season. Everybody parses and critiques every little detail.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Lol you're overreacting to the most innocuous stuff.

If I remember correctly this past offseason he would mention Chol almost like an afterthought... "oh yea and Chol, he can really shoot it"

The players that matter love Pike. Yes this was a disappointing season, but your axe grinding with him is ridiculous.
yeah well my axe grindingSHARP AXE is about as good as his pounding nails:Hammer Nails: ..and I'm not paid $3.3 million. Don't like it don't read it. Hit the ignore feature. I find it works well.

I dunno. Wondering if as fans we hold other people to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. On this board I've read a lot of hyperbole, denigration, drama and even histrionics directed towards athletes in their teens and early 20's as well as coaches in the past several days (weeks for some posters) based on what when you boil it down is essentially fan entertainment.....and essentially you are going after him for being overly positive in his coach speak or interviews.

Pike is who he is and will adjust/not and succeed/fail on his own accord and be accountable for that in the end. Maybe its on us as fans to understand that and use and manage our own filters rather than constantly wishing he was something different.

#FreeChol is finally freed

I was mostly joking but in games where everyone was horrible and no one could make anything there was nothing to lose to see if he might drill a couple

He was worth a shot with his size and length and supposed 3 point shooting to see if he developed but it didn't happen. His D was pretty terrible and he would just chuck anything up. Didn't pan out. Oh well move on
Agreed, to allow Simpson, JMike, Hyatt, Mag, Fernandes, Gavin, Austin Williams, etc.., to just keep bricking threes continuously like they were on an assembly line conveyor belt and not give someone else a chance makes no sense. Either Chol was really bad (which begs the question, why was he recruited?) or could not defend anyone at all. It certainly would have made sense to throw him out there for a few minutes during a few games as no one, and I mean no one, was a consistent, good 3 point shooter……..wait a minute, forget about consistent and good, none of them were even average level 3 point shooters. Considering how bad everyone was at shooting that Pike was putting on the court, Chol could have been thrown out there a few times as a what the hell let’s see what this guy can do type of run for a few minutes. He must have been really bad at something, I would think defense and rebounding for Pike to not play him, but the guys he put on the court were also really bad at shooting, so there’s that.

Chol got "the talk"
I assume either Wolf or Big O is next
Hoping Oscar comes back as the last guy on the bench
Personally, I hope as many as possible move on, including Oskar. I don’t get the bring Oskar back movement and posts. Good teammate, locker room presence, not as critical as basketball ability. We need players with better abilities, if Oskar leaving frees up a spot for a guy who can defend and shoot from the wing, then I am more than happy to thank Oskar for his time here. We should bring back JWill, JMike, Gavin, after that everything else should be up for grabs. If we end up with an open spot and can’t get a useful player in here, then fine, offer Oskar the last spot on the roster after all the portal dust settles and the roster has been completed. But the initial plan starting out today should not be Oskar is returning with a boatload of players available to Pike in the portal.

I didn't even think Oskar had more time left. Would this be the 6th year for him?

I didn't even think Oskar had more time left. Would this be the 6th year for him?
He has one year of eligibility left so he could return. Hoping we bring in a new player, Dylan and Ace need a better roster and more help than guys like Simpson, Oskar, Ogbole, Wolf, and Chol can offer. If you throw in if Cliff and Mag leave, then that opens up a lot of spots for portal guys (SHOOTING!) to come in here. We need to clean out as much off that roster, turn the page and create a completely new page for next year. If those 7 do not return (Chol already going in Portal so now it’s down to 6), by my math that means we can bring in 5 transfers next year as we were over by 2 scholarships too many going into next year.

I wish you would have been a little clearer on the first part because at times I thought somebody had hacked you.
He would certainly have done two things in your scenario..provided much needed entertainment or embarrass the team further. You're right. It might have been worth the risk just for the levity but what if he had actually made some shots? yikes.
Haha I thought everyone knew the #FreeChol was a joke

Worth the risk I meant bringing him on to the team. He did fill out a bit physically and looks the part. His size, length, and athleticism is the type of kid I like for an end of bench development player especially since he could allegedly shoot. The dream stretch 4 if it did that we never have. They just don't always pan out and Chol didn't

There were a few times though where everyone was so bad I probably would have thrown him in to send a message if anything... and hope to get lucky with a couple threes

Not a lot, but some, and only kind of.

Here's one

Here's another
Most of these takes are saying things like if he can play D etc. Lot of "if" vs Chol is going to dominate

The one thread is asking if he's a stretch 4. That's still correct. That's his position although he did fill out enough to play some 5 if needed and could probably do so at a lower level

Chol has been on campus for years and Terry had more meaningful minutes. I’m thinking the talk happened with Chol prior to the season.

Chol has been on campus for years and Terry had more meaningful minutes. I’m thinking the talk happened with Chol prior to the season.
Lol no. Definitely happened mid year when he stopped getting garbage time minutes

Personally, I hope as many as possible move on, including Oskar. I don’t get the bring Oskar back movement and posts. Good teammate, locker room presence, not as critical as basketball ability. We need players with better abilities, if Oskar leaving frees up a spot for a guy who can defend and shoot from the wing, then I am more than happy to thank Oskar for his time here. We should bring back JWill, JMike, Gavin, after that everything else should be up for grabs. If we end up with an open spot and can’t get a useful player in here, then fine, offer Oskar the last spot on the roster after all the portal dust settles and the roster has been completed. But the initial plan starting out today should not be Oskar is returning with a boatload of players available to Pike in the portal.
If we can get an upgrade from Oscar, I’m all for it, but with all things being equal, he would be a great last guy on the bench. Knows the system, perfect teammate, can hit a three in a close situation, and will provide some veteran leadership.

I hope the rest follow suit quickly. Honest to God if Mag waits until May to announce, when he already knows he's leaving, I'll lose my mind.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
JMike
JWilliams
GG
The Fab Frosh
The 2 O's (Oskar/Ogbole)
+ 3 transfers

8 new players
4 new starters?
Maybe even 5 new starters is an elite PG who can shoot is brought in?

While this appears the most likely outcome, so much for "continuity" and players knowing how to play together.

I came up with 4 good landing opportunities....
1. Bryant
2. Western Kentucky
3. UMBC
4. FDU

All 4 he will average over 10 PPG

Reactions: Scangg
Sorting for teams who have a high tempo and 3pt fg% attempt rate...
1. Arkansa Pine Bluff
2. UTSA
3. New Hampshire
4. Fort Watne
5. kennesaw State

Reactions: Jerseylegends
Coachspeak is one thing but each year it borders on the bizarro-world. Every year, from his “best offensive team ever” to players like Agee being a man amongst boys, etc etc,..Then Carino doubles down on it and all credibility is lost. Going forward, I’ll believe nothing until the first game is played and I can see it for myself.

Lol no. Definitely happened mid year when he stopped getting garbage time minutes
My point was the talk didn’t happen after the season. Mid season pre season doesn’t really matter. All that matters is there is more room on the roster for improvement through the portal.

Coachspeak is one thing but each year it borders on the bizarro-world. Every year, from his “best offensive team ever” to players like Agee being a man amongst boys, etc etc,..Then Carino doubles down on it and all credibility is lost. Going forward, I’ll believe nothing until the first game is played and I can see it for myself.
And yet somehow you clowns still believe in whatever he says every preseason.

I hope the rest follow suit quickly. Honest to God if Mag waits until May to announce, when he already knows he's leaving, I'll lose my mind.
Lots of things to worry about in the offseason. This is not one of them. Mag is done and gone and will not be asked back. Thanks for the 3 years before this year in the program. Hope your hangnail heals.

My favorite memory of Chol will be him chucking up 3s during garbage time in a game earlier this year while the fans were screaming / yearning for Aiden Terry to hoist the 3s.

Chol looked off Terry and the other bench dudes several times and was on a mission to hoist up as many shots as possible. 😂
Aaah if you’re a scholarship player that hardly plays why would you want to pass to a scrub player? Because the fans say so?

Put me in the camp of Chol needed to move on if he wasn’t in the rotation.

GO RU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT