ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash Game Week Press Conference - Michigan State

I like watching these press conferences, but the questions that get asked are terrible. We have a game this week and they ask about the NFL, next season and a bunch of crap that any coach isn't going to answer on game week.

Reactions: mildone
I like the comments from Coach Ash about the RU Seniors and what senior day means to the coaching staff and team. Getting a W for these seniors is more important than reps for young players.

The only QB’s he mentioned were Gio and Lewis. I’m thinking that they both play, even though I’d like to give a Sr like Kyle Bolin another chance this season.

Just start Jonathan and let him have some fun out there on Saturday.
Winning that game is too important, if it can be done. First priority is to win, if at all possible. If JL is the guy to do that, or even if it's a tie, then fine, start him. Otherwise, see what Gio can do.

The concern with JL is going to be turnovers. Especially early turnovers, which could crush the psyche of the team. Which could lead to another, potentially worse, blowout. Not a great way to end the season for anyone.

So if JL is tossing a lot of INTs in practice, then start Gio.

Around 6:40 mark: Ash states they are playing to win. They know what they have in the young guys by now. More reps here or there isn't going to help.

Around 12:45 mark: Ash specifically states that DB and WR rely on getting reps and building that knowledge base.

In would assume this applies to all positions.

Seems like a contradiction.

Ash was pretty clear in the presser that this a one game season and that winning the game is what counts.

That tells me that giving reps to inexperienced players rates below playing the guys who are likely to help us win.

I can only imagine the sentiment on this board after the game if a couple of freshman give up turnovers. Ash will be criticized for not trying to win the game. Some posters are probably willing to vote on both sides of this issue, especially if we lose to MSU. It’s what we do !

Ash was pretty clear in the presser that this a one game season and that winning the game is what counts.

That tells me that giving reps to inexperienced players rates below playing the guys who are likely to help us win.

I can only imagine the sentiment on this board after the game if a couple of freshman give up turnovers. Ash will be criticized for not trying to win the game. Some posters are probably willing to vote on both sides of this issue, especially if we lose to MSU. It’s what we do !
#FreeTheFreshmen

Around 6:40 mark: Ash states they are playing to win. They know what they have in the young guys by now. More reps here or there isn't going to help.

Around 12:45 mark: Ash specifically states that DB and WR rely on getting reps and building that knowledge base.

In would assume this applies to all positions.

Seems like a contradiction.
Seriously? He meant isn't going to help with evaluating the players. No coach anywhere will ever state that more game reps won't help a player develop.

And then there is also practice reps. Also very important because they can be corrected on the spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT