ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2021

Wow…Wilcox turned down Oregon to stay at Cal. Maybe expectations are too high for him. Kind of hard to believe but two people are reporting it. Originally I thought it was one of those “removed my name from consideration” deals when someone else gets the job.

Or he realized that Cal is a lot like Rutgers. Low expectations and longer lease on life!!!

He has grown.

Remember when he was RU's DC? These threads are not meant to shame anyone. Rossi took his lumps here, and learned from them:

He has grown.

Remember when he was RU's DC? These threads are not meant to shame anyone. Rossi took his lumps here, and learned from them:

There are ups and downs. Like I mentioned about Diaz, at times in his career his D has been good at others not so much. The guys who can do it consistently year after year (offense/defense) are keepers.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Interesting to see how the internal promotions work out for Dabo.

Last edited:
Thinking about starting a thread on that last tweet. Norvell went 3-6 then 5-7, and that earns an extension in the ACC, where the sledding is quite easy? That makes his contract a 7 year contract.
You’re welcome to start a thread if you like. I find the extension a little strange myself. Wonder what kind of 10 year contract he’d get if he went 6-6 lol.

You’re welcome to start a thread if you like. I find the extension a little strange myself. Wonder what kind of 10 year contract he’d get if he went 6-6 lol.
Don't think a P-5 program was about to snatch him, so extension now is a little strange.
Seeing the money being thrown around this year, if Mike makes FSU look good next year, this move won't keep him.
It will take a good chunk of change to make him stay if other programs come calling

Plucking from the Aranda tree. I think TT did something similar by way of a mentee of Ron Roberts.

I suspect plenty of schools will want him if he wants to coach.

Last edited:
As a position coach Drew Mehringer would be a good pick-up
He wasn't ready for prime time as an OC when Ash made him one.
We must realize he's only 34 now and was 29 when Ash made him OC.

As a position coach Drew Mehringer would be a good pick-up
He wasn't ready for prime time as an OC when Ash made him one.
We must realize he's only 34 now and was 29 when Ash made him OC.
I think it's important when hiring a coach like that you look at where they "grew up" so to speak. Lincoln Riley, Jeff Lebby, Kendal Briles, Heupel, Kingsbury etc..and guys similar came up under Leach/Briles and their branches.

To me lineage is important, especially for a younger or inexperienced hire. Mehringer didn't have any sort of lineage like that IMO and that's a problem if he's going to be the sole play calling OC.

A couple new hires at WSU and TT are younger coaches and first time OCs at this level. Eric Morris was a HC at a lower level with a productive offense and Zach Kittley was an OC at WKU for a very productive offense and qb. Where did they come from.... the Leach/Kingsbury tree. I don't how well they will do with this step but to me that's the kind of lineage you lean on, especially considering its history with past coaches. Bill Bedenbaugh has never been an OC but he's a name I've brought up when we were looking. Why? Because he's been OL coach under Leach/Riley so that's a lineage I'll take a risk on if it's a first time play caller.

So to me I can live with taking a risk on age and experience but it depends on your lineage.

I think it's important when hiring a coach like that you look at where they "grew up" so to speak. Lincoln Riley, Jeff Lebby, Kendal Briles, Heupel, Kingsbury etc..and guys similar came up under Leach/Briles and their branches.

To me lineage is important, especially for a younger or inexperienced hire. Mehringer didn't have any sort of lineage like that IMO and that's a problem if he's going to be the sole play calling OC.

A couple new hires at WSU and TT are younger coaches and first time OCs at this level. Eric Morris was a HC at a lower level with a productive offense and Zach Kittley was an OC at WKU for a very productive offense and qb. Where did they come from.... the Leach/Kingsbury tree. I don't how well they will do with this step but to me that's the kind of lineage you lean on, especially considering its history with past coaches. Bill Bedenbaugh has never been an OC but he's a name I've brought up when we were looking. Why? Because he's been OL coach under Leach/Riley so that's a lineage I'll take a risk on if it's a first time play caller.

So to me I can live with taking a risk on age and experience but it depends on your lineage.
As I recall, Tom Herman sold Ash on Drew. He would have made more sense if RU had hired and offensive minded coach who could have been more involved offensively than Ash would likely have been given his defense oriented background.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
So who are among Freeman’s top candidates? Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Iowa State defensive coordinator Jon Heacock, Auburn defensive coordinator Derek Mason, Tennessee defensive coordinator Tim Banks, current Jacksonville Jaguars safeties coach and former college defensive coordinator Chris Ash, and current Cincinnati Bengals linebackers coach Al Golden, the former Miami and Temple head coach are all under consideration and that Freeman also is holding some options close to the vest.

I like Heacock out of those names.

So who are among Freeman’s top candidates? Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Iowa State defensive coordinator Jon Heacock, Auburn defensive coordinator Derek Mason, Tennessee defensive coordinator Tim Banks, current Jacksonville Jaguars safeties coach and former college defensive coordinator Chris Ash, and current Cincinnati Bengals linebackers coach Al Golden, the former Miami and Temple head coach are all under consideration and that Freeman also is holding some options close to the vest.

I like Heacock out of those names.
Well Ash is likely to be available next week so we shall see. There was also a note on the scoop about Jay Valai who was RU's cornerback's coach in 2019. Sounds like Ash brought him to Texas and then he accepted about 3 different college and pro jobs last off season before winding up at Alabama as the CB coach and is now rumored to be headed to Oklahoma after the National Championship game.

Well Ash is likely to be available next week so we shall see. There was also a note on the scoop about Jay Valai who was RU's cornerback's coach in 2019. Sounds like Ash brought him to Texas and then he accepted about 3 different college and pro jobs last off season before winding up at Alabama as the CB coach and is now rumored to be headed to Oklahoma after the National Championship game.
Yea I posted about that above

from the scoop:
Temple: Rutgers special teams coordinator Adam Scheier is headed to Temple as tight ends / special teams coordinator, Pete Thamel has shared.

from the scoop:
Temple: Rutgers special teams coordinator Adam Scheier is headed to Temple as tight ends / special teams coordinator, Pete Thamel has shared.
Yup put that in the Scheier thread yesterday.

I'm wondering who we're looking at for DC. Haven't read anything yet on that front.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Yup put that in the Scheier thread yesterday.

I'm wondering who we're looking at for DC. Haven't read anything yet on that front.
with the amount of movement going on, probably read your announcement and forgot you already reported the news.
Do you think Bob Fraser might get a bump up to DC/LB coach ?.
I wouldn't be surpried to see Bob made co:DC with Jim Panagos made the other co:DC & DL coach.

with the amount of movement going on, probably read your announcement and forgot you already reported the news.
Do you think Bob Fraser might get a bump up to DC/LB coach ?.
I wouldn't be surpried to see Bob made co:DC with Jim Panagos made the other co:DC & DL coach.
Fraser was my first thought when the news came out but that's an easy announcement. Since it hasn't happened yet I'm wondering if we're not looking outside the current staff.

Example: See how quick Dabo made the internal promotions for OC/DC.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT