ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching

The program could use a signature win in the worst way.
Or a recruit who becomes our Doug Flutie.
Nothing wrong with “signature wins” and it’s nice for excitement and buzz but I’m more interested in consistent winning. That’s more important. One flash in the pan win without surrounding winning doesn’t lead to much.

Arizona beat UCLA on the road yesterday. Nice win and a signature win you could say. If Fisch doesn’t build on it with more wins in the succeeding years then it won’t have meant much.

Why is Schiano playing not to lose a surprise to all of you? It's what he did the first time he was here. How many times did our punt returner signal fair catch and run off the field before the punter even kicked the ball. He didn't want to run the risk of mishandling the punt and turning the ball over.
Preaching to the choir. Can’t make the blind see, however. HC grossly risk averse and it kills performance and recruiting. No one here would send their offense star kid to play for schiano and yet they still can’t acknowledge he stifles offense at every turn.

Why is Schiano playing not to lose a surprise to all of you? It's what he did the first time he was here. How many times did our punt returner signal fair catch and run off the field before the punter even kicked the ball. He didn't want to run the risk of mishandling the punt and turning the ball over.
If you just forfeited the game from the start then you'd never have a turnover! Can we hire some coaches capable of coaching players so they know how to catch balls and not fumble them? This is perhaps, perhaps yet another weakness of Schianoball: if you play to win by 7 points at most, if you win at all, with hyperanemic yet very safe offense, you can't make a single error with anything because your hypersafe, hyperanemic offense can't catch up.

What a bunch of drivel, let’s make believe we would of scored with two minutes left in the first half from deep in our own territory, with a freshman QB starting his second game.
we lost the game because the D gave up multiple big plays, + 455 yds., we looked slow on D didn’t tackle very well, committed 14 penalties for over 100 yds., had a field goal blocked and allowed multiple plays of over 20+ yds.
Fault for penalties, lack of concentration, poor execution on the field and certainly some some blame on the staff regarding preparation. We looked tired on D and tackled poorly as well.

Speaking of our ex-coach Chris Ash, quite the NFL resume he is building. Last year with Urban in Jax and this year in Vegas with the underachieving Raiders.

No question in my mind that Greg is the de facto OC. He micro managed the hell out of the offense today.

It looks like Nunzio will work with him as OC. But I doubt we can hire a good one from the outside because Greg will do the same to him.

Greg fired Gleeson because Gleeson wouldn’t do it Greg’s way imo.
seriously. Who'd want to come here and be under this guy's control. My new nickname for him is "The Governor" and not because he's #1 in the State.

The team is showing progress and like most, I predicted 3-4 wins this year. Look - that’s where we are. The issue is that we started 3-0 and the expectation was that we would suddenly be going to the Orange Bowl. Realistically, I think that we should reasonably expect six wins next year, then a winning season after that.

The really frustrating game for me this year was Nebraska at home. We had that game in our hands, and I’m convinced that is we just ran the ball in the second half (like fans were calling for) we would have won that game. That game, unfortunately, was an example of bad coaching.

Perspective and patience are important. That’s tough to hear, but that’s the reality of where we are right now with the talent that we currently have and the schedule on our plate. I do believe that Schiano will get it done.

Scarlet Jerry
3-4 wins before we knew that Nebby, Iowa, and MSU weren't world beaters.
Somehow Greg underperformed yet again and found a way to loose all three of those games. All three could have been wins. OK. I know that's highly unlikely but win ONE of them? Coaching has to get you that.

Bad coaching is (I think now) 2nd worst in penalties for a high discipline conservative coach who value ball control and possession. You don't have to be bigger, stronger, faster to not keep making mistakes. That's teaching.

Agree. A few years ago Tennessee fans ran Schiano out of town and RU fans screamed for "SCHIANO". Tennessee, in the toughest conference in college ball (BCS is getting it right this year) is 9-1, averaging 47.4 PPG, was ranked 1ST for week and RU will be in perpetual rebuild mode. I think the Knoxville fans got it right.
I believe that what got most of us fired up wasn't that they felt that Greg wasn't a good enough coach it was they way they played the PSU thing into the argument and used that as the whip for painting the rock.

Yea, I am agreeing with you. I'm not saying you are saying that. But there is a big contingent of people that do. And it's silly every time they say it.

Why the Rutgers coach needs to have some special relationship with HS coaches that not other coach has just doesn't ever materialize. I'm sure Schiano is respected amongst the coaches, but he's still not getting their best.

So any decent coach from outside of NJ could likely get the same results.
Amen, Cali.

3-4 wins before we knew that Nebby, Iowa, and MSU weren't world beaters.
Somehow Greg underperformed yet again and found a way to loose all three of those games. All three could have been wins. OK. I know that's highly unlikely but win ONE of them? Coaching has to get you that.

Bad coaching is (I think now) 2nd worst in penalties for a high discipline conservative coach who value ball control and possession. You don't have to be bigger, stronger, faster to not keep making mistakes. That's teaching.
So we can only lose to world beaters. Teams. With winning records are all beneath us already. You must hold GS in high regards. He clearly set a high bar in your eyes.

So we can only lose to world beaters. Teams. With winning records are all beneath us already. You must hold GS in high regards. He clearly set a high bar in your eyes.
I guess you missed the part where I said beating all three unlikely but should beat at least one team in your neighborhood.
Btw..Nebby was 2-3 when we played them.
So I guess You think we should only beat teams with losing records? Got it.

Reactions: brgRC90
The fact that GS lost to an interim coach on his own field is not a great sign. If you aren't going to beat Nebraska with that set up, you never will.

What a bunch of drivel, let’s make believe we would of scored with two minutes left in the first half from deep in our own territory, with a freshman QB starting his second game.
we lost the game because the D gave up multiple big plays, + 455 yds., we looked slow on D didn’t tackle very well, committed 14 penalties for over 100 yds., had a field goal blocked and allowed multiple plays of over 20+ yds.
Fault for penalties, lack of concentration, poor execution on the field and certainly some some blame on the staff regarding preparation. We looked tired on D and tackled poorly as well.
Jake is your name actually Greg ? Those things are all true, but offense matters too. In case you didnt know, the only way to win is to outscore the other team.

So until the defense can score 30 points a game you are a fool not to attempt to score on every possession, Greg.

And btw, what does ‘would of’ mean ?

I guess you missed the part where I said beating all three unlikely but should beat at least one team in your neighborhood.
Btw..Nebby was 2-3 when we played them.
No doubt that Neb was the one that got away. Iowa, Minnesota and MSU would be on the plus/bonus column. Clearly GS saw it the same way and the lost to Neb cost Gleeson his job.

The fact that GS lost to an interim coach on his own field is not a great sign. If you aren't going to beat Nebraska with that set up, you never will.
We were playing with our never to be seen again QB at the time. It’s life of a RU fan. Every break is against us.

We were playing with our never to be seen again QB at the time. It’s life of a RU fan. Every break is against us.

Whatever it is, this is year 3 of the staff. Nebraska was at an all time low.

Was a must win to have any kind of juice or momentum. Simply can't lose that game and expect people to believe things are on the right track.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Whatever it is, this is year 3 of the staff. Nebraska was at an all time low.

Was a must win to have any kind of juice or momentum. Simply can't lose that game and expect people to believe things are on the right track.
I agree plus we had a good lead at halftime. Still think their biggest mistake was going all-in on NV.

Reactions: Shelby65
No doubt that Neb was the one that got away. Iowa, Minnesota and MSU would be on the plus/bonus column. Clearly GS saw it the same way and the lost to Neb cost Gleeson his job.
So I guess you missed that part.
Execute the Fg and the ref and we win.
Don't have 14 penalties (14 -1 + 1) and we win. Or a combination of the two. Winnable.
2 and 2.
Bowl eligible @ 6-4.
Worst case 5 - 5 with Maryland relevant.
Sorry. I believe that at some point a $4mm coach has to get you some toss up wins.

At this point I'll just take a ein at Mary with Improvement on offense and wait for season 51.

Team on the road with and interim HC who got asses kicked weeks prior. Coaching matters.
Yes, and someone lost their job for it. Btw, 4mm ties for the lowest paid HC in the B1G. It sound like a big number but its not when you compare it to our peers. Also not surprised that we are tied with MD on the HC salary. Both teams are handcuffed by the league with a reduced payout.

Why does it matter what he makes compared to other schools ? If he was paid more, would he a better coach ?

Either you’re a good coach or you aren’t, and he isn’t.

Been saying for three years he’s stealing salary and duped the donors who back him. Sitting on the ball before halftime on Saturday is ironclad proof he’s a fraud.

Why does it matter what he makes compared to other schools ? If he was paid more, would he a better coach ?

Either you’re a good coach or you aren’t, and he isn’t.

Been saying for three years he’s stealing salary and duped the donors who back him. Sitting on the ball before halftime on Saturday is ironclad proof he’s a fraud.

Meanwhile your Sewercuse squad got mauled by FSU

Meanwhile your Sewercuse squad got mauled by FSU
Proud…weak deflection. Try answering, keeping in mind that Cuse and Kansas are going to bowls and both coaches make less than Schiano.

Schiano’s salary has nothing to do with his (in)competence.

And, suggesting I’m Cuse fan or a PSU or a UConn fan based only on pointing out our coach is lousy shows your ignorance as well.

How many rebuild years do you think he should get before the fraud is exposed?

Nebby was 2-3 when we played them.
That's basically where Schiano racked up most of his wins, Big East teams with losing records. We have fans who notice this and see it as a low ceiling and we have fans who are happy with this and are not especially interested in beating conference mates with winning records.

Perhaps framing it a different way, are there examples people can recall where Rutgers did well specifically because of our scheme, strategy, way we designed our offense/defense?

The only that comes to my mind is special teams and blocking kicks, but that was from 1.0 and has been replaced with awful surprise onside kicks...

Proud…weak deflection. Try answering, keeping in mind that Cuse and Kansas are going to bowls and both coaches make less than Schiano.

Schiano’s salary has nothing to do with his (in)competence.

And, suggesting I’m Cuse fan or a PSU or a UConn fan based only on pointing out our coach is lousy shows your ignorance as well.

How many rebuild years do you think he should get before the fraud is exposed?

You’re a Cuse fan and Rutgers beat you guys last season

Ok. You can’t answer.

For my amusement, instead can you answer what you are basing my Cuse or whichever other school fandom on ?

Last edited:
Perhaps framing it a different way, are there examples people can recall where Rutgers did well specifically because of our scheme, strategy, way we designed our offense/defense?

The only that comes to my mind is special teams and blocking kicks, but that was from 1.0 and has been replaced with awful surprise onside kicks...
Yeah, because Rutgers always have the players to put talent everyone. Can’t be the Xs and Os.

That's basically where Schiano racked up most of his wins, Big East teams with losing records. We have fans who notice this and see it as a low ceiling and we have fans who are happy with this and are not especially interested in beating conference mates with winning records.
But most of you love that. I mean just look at all the fans gushing over UCONN success this year.

Reactions: colbert17
Yeah, because Rutgers always have the players to put talent everyone. Can’t be the Xs and Os.
No one ever said that, but, in reality, I'd argue we're at a bigger disadvantage in terms of Xs and Os than we are talent (big 3 excluded).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT