ADVERTISEMENT

Concessions Complaint - The Worst I Have Ever Seen

jellyman

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I have been to many RU basketball and football games over the last 40+ years. I have been to many other sporting events at many different venues in that same time frame.

I am comfortable stating that the RU basketball arena's concessions quality, set-up and service is UNEQUIVOCALLY the WORST concessions operation I have ever experienced.

Where are the greatest (not the only) problems?

1) Service: The service is simply hopeless. Hopelessly slow, hopelessly incompetent, hopelessly inefficient. Some examples? The cashier operators often seem to not operate the cashier machines. Often the machines do not take the credit cards on the 1st attempt. There are never enough cashiers. For example, last night, at one of the central, front food areas, there are only 2 cashier machines, which could not even keep up with the meager halftime "crowd" from last night. So a manager waved a bunch of people into a middle line ... but did not have a cashier machine to operate, but just a hand-held drawer. Of course he had no cash in the drawer, so for each order, even paid by cash (unless it was exact change), he still had to go to one of the 2 machines, and interrupt one of the 2 cashiers, to either run a credit card, or get change for cash payments. And of course, any time there was a problem with a customer complaint in a different line (which happened at least 3 times while I was standing on his line - and I was only the 4th person on line), he had to handle it, resulting in the people on his line standing and waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting. Often, unless you want a hot dog or a pre-packaged snack (like popcorn, nachos or other chips, etc.), the food is literally not ready, or there are not enough portions. This is especially true on the side concession stands with pizza and ESPECIALLY chicken fingers. Yet at the front they have one person solely dedicated to making endless quantities of popcorn (yes, I know popcorn is a big seller) - but not cooking the chicken fingers or pizza. Also, there is NEVER enough food. I arrived almost at tip-off last night, for example, and wanted chicken fingers or a burger, rather than a hot dog. So I hurried to the concession stand (only one) which serves those items. There were only 2 customers - but only one cashier being manned, I might add. But there were ZERO available chicken fingers or burgers ... amazing.

2) Set-Up: I cannot imagine a worse set-up. While it is true you can get hot dogs, soda, water and potato chips and candy at any of the 4 concession stands (2 at the front and 1 each on either side), everything else is totally segregated. So if you want pizza (bad pizza, true enough, but at least pizza), you can ONLY go to one side concession stand. If you want chicken fingers or burgers, you can ONLY go to the OTHER side concession stand ... not that it will do you any good, since there are usually not available chicken fingers or pizzas, so you have to wait until they are prepared. Also, if you want popcorn, I believe you can ONLY go tot he front concession stand. But what if you want both popcorn AND pizza or burgers? Then you have to go to 2 different concession stands. And what if you are on the 105/205 side? Then you need to go to the front and the OPPOSITE side of the arena to get burgers and popcorn ... 2 stops, 2 long lines, and far away from your seats. Also, the 105/205 side concession stand has several different types of food, including cookies (and maybe ice cream?). But if you want pizza you need to get on one line. If you want pretzels or whatever else they have, you have to get on another line. And if you want cookies, you have to get a a 3rd different line - and cannot pay for the cookies at the same cashier line as the other foods, even though it is at the same counter.

3) Quality: Oddly enough, the set-up and service are even worse than the quality of the food - which is a very difficult hurdle to achieve. But other than the popcorn and the chicken fingers, the food is really awful. Maybe the sausage sandwiches at the separate stands are good (I would not know since I cannot eat them for dietary reasons). I mean it is REALLY bad. The hot dogs are lukewarm, and okay (they are Hebrew National I think, a good hot dog), but never hot. The burgers are terrible. The pizza is pretty bad also.

4) Price: Considering the level of service and the horrendous quality of the food the prices are astoundingly high. I mean the prices are similar to many professional and high quality arena food options. And the same as the football pricing (though the football food offers more variety and is fresher and better). I mean $4 for a small bag of Lays potato chips, that can be bought in a corner store for $1, or $1.50 at most ... and the same for a bottle of water, which costs the same at most stores ($1 or $1.50)? $9 for 3 chicken fingers and some fries ... that are never available anyway? This is probably a common complaint at all sporting venues. Which is why when I can I bring my own food in (of course, I have to sneak it in, since they do not allow your own food in). I would not complain so much if I could actually get the food I wanted, in a timely fashion, at the proper temperature, without major hassle.

on a roll with this post. Check out the other thread from the other day about the disaster with the $1 dog promotion and them not even having them ready or enough rolls despite only 1k being in the building

the biggest agreement I have with you concerns prices and quality. The prices rival places in a big fancy arena which provide better quality or give you much more on your plate...ala the Rock and MSG. RU's concessions remind me of Amarak in the mid 80s at the Meadowlands...20 years behind the times in taste and selection. I begged for chicken fingers for years but the poor quality of these and the small portions are absurd.

The only safe bet is the pretzel..they are larger now and usually a good taste, however its ludicrous pricing at $5 prevents me from purchasing..remember they were just $2 maybe 8-9 years ago...also back then you used to get a medium drink which was pretty large and had a take home Rutgers cup with the pretzel all for just $4

Sorry but I have to chuckle when I read the outrage from RU fans over the RAC concessions. The items served by the group volunteers should in no way be confused with a fine dining experience. There are plenty of fast food joints on the way to the RAC from all directions to satisfy your gourmet palates IMO.

BTW how did Julie leave the RAC concessions in such horrible shape ? Didn't that responsibility fall under her supervision ?

You guys should contact Pat Hobbs immediately and inform him of this travesty of justice before you blow a gasket.

allow me to summarize. They suck. They have always sucked.
I never ever plan on eating anything at the RAC.

Sorry but I have to chuckle when I read the outrage from RU fans over the RAC concessions. The items served by the group volunteers should in no way be confused with a fine dining experience. There are plenty of fast food joints on the way to the RAC from all directions to satisfy your gourmet palates IMO.

BTW how did Julie leave the RAC concessions in such horrible shape ? Didn't that responsibility fall under her supervision ?

You guys should contact Pat Hobbs immediately and inform him of this travesty of justice before you blow a gasket.

actually they have always sucked, nothing to do with Julie and I would think here that dining services is in charge of this. I don't know who they report to but I doubt that Julie or any other AD is that person. There are other people working the department who are responsible I am sure stuff like concessions has been brought up before to every single AD and there hasn't been much movement with this in the right direction.

the fact that you think that an arena is not suppose to practice customer service is laughable but yet you continue to say it

When a moderator drops the hammer like this, it means something. We'll really know the world is spinning off its axis if a different moderator who is extremely careful with his words says something negative. I don't suspect that will happen though.

In short, Rutgers should be embarrassed. But of course, it isn't. Do you think Doug Kokoskie or Geoff Brown let their families pay these prices and eat the crap the RAC serves?

When a moderator drops the hammer like this, it means something. We'll really know the world is spinning off its axis if a different moderator who is extremely careful with his words says something negative. I don't suspect that will happen though.

In short, Rutgers should be embarrassed. But of course, it isn't. Do you think Doug Kokoskie or Geoff Brown let their families pay these prices and eat the crap the RAC serves?

I bet you they don't have those problems in the hospitality area at the RAC in which they charge insane prices and don't allow say a $20 per game one time buy in, I think its like $30. Seems like maybe since they went with that, their workers are stretched thin.

When a moderator drops the hammer like this, it means something.

I am not posting as a moderator, but as a fan. And I have no influence with anyone, unfortunately. Not even other moderators, LOL!

Honestly in all my years of going to the RAC, this year has been by far the worst in terms of concessions. They are not even opening some stands for games and those that are open are extremely slow, unorganized, and the food selection is awful as Jelly notes. RU needs to get this fixed.

Absolutely NO ONE is asking for a "fine dining experience" at a college basketball arena but this is just a lousy overall experience. From the actual food itself, the prices, the inefficiency of the service, it sucks, plain and simple. The concessions are getting much worse than they were just a few years ago in just about every way (except for the pretzels which are better). A lot of games start on 7pm on weeknights. To say that it's easy for everybody racing home from work to cook at home or stop at some fast food place on the way to the game just shows how ignorant some people are to other people's situations. The RAC itself is part of the problem since everything is shoehorned in there but when they close some counters and have limited lines open on the ones that are open, it creates a bottleneck even when there are only 2,000 people there. It's hard to screw up a soda but somehow the people that run the RAC concessions have fouled this up for years too.

Reactions: Local Shill

So people have real and valid complaints, and you say instead of RUTGERS addressing those problems, people should just eat elsewhere and shut up.

What a tool.

We ate at Jimmy Johns before the game last night and their service was awesome as always...

The times we do eat at the RAC though, we usually do OK. We like the hot dogs and the chicken fingers are surprisingly good.

You are being served by volunteers, so I always cut a little bit of slack there. I've never had a catastrophic issue with concessions in our building.

Reality of eating in any sports or concert venue is that you NEVER get what you pay for. That's true in Iowa, Florida, California and Texas...as well as good ole RU

Reactions: Underdogs88
I bet you they don't have those problems in the hospitality area at the RAC in which they charge insane prices and don't allow say a $20 per game one time buy in, I think its like $30. Seems like maybe since they went with that, their workers are stretched thin.
What is the deal with the hospitality area? I know the Court Club was offering members a chance to buy some one-off passes last year but don't know much else about it.

Check the minutes of the meetings of the Fan Advisory Board. I'm sure they have to be addressing these legitimate complaints. The concessions, seemingly by design, have always been less than mediocre over a long period of time. Perhaps it's time that the AD and Athletics Dept staff patronize the concessions the remainder of the year. If food and drink are made available to them in some office or facility in the RAC, it should be closed to let them savor what the ticket buyers are stuck with.

Check the minutes of the meetings of the Fan Advisory Board. I'm sure they have to be addressing these legitimate complaints. The concessions, seemingly by design, have always been less than mediocre over a long period of time.
Are there minutes somewhere to read?

The CC got out of the hospitality area biz a couple of years ago...

We never made money on it, and maybe 4 people cared at its peak

Absolutely NO ONE is asking for a "fine dining experience" at a college basketball arena but this is just a lousy overall experience. From the actual food itself, the prices, the inefficiency of the service, it sucks, plain and simple. The concessions are getting much worse than they were just a few years ago in just about every way (except for the pretzels which are better). A lot of games start on 7pm on weeknights. To say that it's easy for everybody racing home from work to cook at home or stop at some fast food place on the way to the game just shows how ignorant some people are to other people's situations. The RAC itself is part of the problem since everything is shoehorned in there but when they close some counters and have limited lines open on the ones that are open, it creates a bottleneck even when there are only 2,000 people there. It's hard to screw up a soda but somehow the people that run the RAC concessions have fouled this up for years too.

You Sir sound like a professional who loves to bitch. Why not take action and report it to someone at RU who can do something about it and then follow up with them ?

I know, it's more fun for you to continuously whine and complain behind an anonymous screen name on a free message board. Very impressive resume you got going there.

What is the deal with the hospitality area? I know the Court Club was offering members a chance to buy some one-off passes last year but don't know much else about it.

The Hospitality Area costs $25 per game. But you have to buy the whole season, so you pay whether you attend or not. I think guest passes are $30, so if you know someone who has hospitality passes, they can get you a guest pass. The area is open for one hour pregame and at halftime.

The food is fairly simple. Usually a beef or chicken dish, a pasta casserole, sides, salads, cookies, and soft drinks. There is a cash bar. At half time they have a snack.

You Sir sound like a professional who loves to bitch. Why not take action and report it to someone at RU who can do something about it and then follow up with them ?

I know, it's more fun for you to continuously whine and complain behind an anonymous screen name on a free message board. Very impressive resume you got going there.
Really? So much passion and venom. You must be the President of Sodexo. Without exception, everyone on this board seems to vehemently disagree with everything you've had to say on this topic. Thank god you're not on the Advisory Board.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocktheRac
Concessions at the RAC have sucked since the day it opened and have actually managed to get worse over time.

Reactions: dollarbill
I agree w/ you Jelly, although I think you can actually bring your own food in, no policy against that (although it would be nice to have decent concessions of course)

You can bring your own food in. I bring hoagies in all the time. Just conceal your drinks.

For the water bottles? They stopped taking them off this year, at least at the side stand opposite the bench.
one time the girl let me keep the cap, two times they took it. I sent my 8 year old to the line thinking they would let him keep it . nope. never seen such a thing.
and **** them I brought my own stuff last game. easy to hide stuff in kids jackets.

I'm going with the 1 oz bag of chips with 1 hot dog and small soda. So instead of paying $12 for ala carte it will be a $8 combo.

Reading about the concession stories is kind of fun (although I'm sure not fun for the guys who are eating it!)

Keep the reports coming, please!
:pizza::burger::cookie::fries:

What will be worse this year B1G play or concession stands? Since really not to much going on with the hardwood it will be fun to follow concession antics.

Reactions: RUonBrain
You can bring your own food in. I bring hoagies in all the time. Just conceal your drinks.

Does anyone find it curious that a guy who brings hoagies into the RAC all the time is one of the biggest complainers about the RAC concessions ? Too funny.

The food service at football games has improved measurably in the past three years. When Hobbs addresses the BB program, the food along with everything else will improve.

Until then, a trip to Tastee Subs either before or after the game cures most ills. At the game, just buy a bottle of water. You can't go wrong.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Does anyone find it curious that the guy who complains about the guys complaining about concessions is a guy who lives in Florida, hasn't been to an RU game since last year(I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that it's not longer) and never buys concessions. Too funny.

Brown and Koskoskie are inept - clowns. Don't try to defend them. We are generally very bad on the hardwood and bad on the field. So at least make a good experience for the fans. And these guys don't deliver that.

Anyone ever meet Geoff Brown? I have. And let me tell you, the guy came here from the Lakewood Blue Claws and that describes him to a tee. Totally minor league.

I arrived at the RAC 35 minutes before scheduled 1pm tipoff and the lines for the side concessions were back to the doors to the seating area. Instead of 4 lines that flow to the 2 main cashier spots (there are arrows on the floor showing people how to proceed), there were just 2 lines. There was NO food or drinks in the side areas where people are supposed to flow and efficiently pick up their food/drinks and just pay for them so of course people just lined up to the 2 cashiers so the people behind the counter would have to fulfill each order individually. Obviously, there is no one supervising this situation. Were there not enough volunteers? Are they being instructed not to put food out lest it be wasted? No idea but something has gone wrong this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT