ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coleman Hawkins with maybe the worst 15 seconds ever

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
Illinois up by two over Penn State with 15 seconds to go and they foul Hawkins. He misses both free throws, then at the other end he fouls a three point shooter. The guy makes all three and Penn State wins. So stuff like that doesn't only happen to us.

First, with seconds left, he chokes at the FT line and misses two FT's. And then he proceeds to foul a shooter shooting a 3 point shot beyond NBA range. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. Of course, if they had hit the front end of a 1 and 1 earlier (Shannon missed three times?) there would have been no chance for PSU to come back. Never mind, Illinois didn't seem to play any defense in the last 3:30 up 11.

• Wow
Reactions: rubigtimenow
You're leaving out the part that they were up 7 points with 40 seconds left.
  • Terrence Shannon Jr. missed a contested floater which lead to a Jameel Brown transition three. Illini up 4.
  • Terrence Shannon Jr. turned the ball over shortly after the next inbound leading to a layup. Illini up 2.
  • Illinois forced to call two consecutive timeouts. One due to the inability to get the ball inbounds. The other was called after a quick trap by Penn State in the backcourt.
  • Coleman Hawkins was fouled, and missed both free throws
  • Coleman Hawkins fouled Zach Hicks on a three-point attempt. He hit all three free throws, putting the Nittany Lions up 1.
  • Justin Harmon missed a runner in the lane. Game over.

Complete and total meltdown. Now we are in a battle to avoid being in the bottom 4.

You're leaving out the part that they were up 7 points with 40 seconds left.
  • Terrence Shannon Jr. missed a contested floater which lead to a Jameel Brown transition three. Illini up 4.
  • Terrence Shannon Jr. turned the ball over shortly after the next inbound leading to a layup. Illini up 2.
  • Illinois forced to call two consecutive timeouts. One due to the inability to get the ball inbounds. The other was called after a quick trap by Penn State in the backcourt.
  • Coleman Hawkins was fouled, and missed both free throws
  • Coleman Hawkins fouled Zach Hicks on a three-point attempt. He hit all three free throws, putting the Nittany Lions up 1.
  • Justin Harmon missed a runner in the lane. Game over.

Complete and total meltdown. Now we are in a battle to avoid being in the bottom 4.
Rutgers better win the 3 home games or they will be in the bottom four.

Penn State scoring 90 points without their best player and leading scorer is quite a achievement.They are a classic over achieving team with a new head coach. The B1G Ten continues to embarrass the league profile with these bad losses bye ranked teams.Parity/mediocrity is what fans are watching.

I’m sure we had a 15 second stretch in the epic collapse vs Minnesota last year that surpassed what Hawkins did. .
That was a pretty soft foul, not much contact, I don’t think that gets called if that play happens five minutes into a game. I think it was called due to hyper focus of refs late in game combined with benefit of a home whistle.

That was a pretty soft foul, not much contact, I don’t think that gets called if that play happens five minutes into a game. I think it was called due to hyper focus of refs late in game combined with benefit of a home whistle.
Whether people like it or not that was definitely a foul. He made contact with the shooter on the way down

Reactions: shields
And the play that Hawkins got fouled on that sent him to the line looked to me like an egregious travel. The announcers mentioned that he may been hit but what came first the whistle or the travel?

Reactions: tm_nj
Rutgers better win the 3 home games or they will be in the bottom four.
I think wins against Maryland and Michigan sets us up great to avoid that fate. We'd be at eight wins minimum plus the tiebreaker over Maryland (would be able to get to 9 wins max) and Indiana. Ohio State would need to win two of their other four games to catch us, which is possible. Indiana is at six wins with three road games left, plus home against Wisconsin and Michigan State. They have a tough road for a team that is struggling.

Lose to Maryland and it gets to be a lot more difficult. Ohio State game would probably be a must win to avoid the bottom four.

I will not touch Illini come tournament time. Every year they look great and then slowly decline

Hyatt going the wrong way
That was the least of our bad plays because I'm sure the goal from Pike was to get the ball to Cam or Paul even though Cam just missed a FT. Odds are he would not miss again. So Hyatt passes to a guy who is doubled instead of dribbling over half court. It would have been a 2 on 1 but he and Cliff were not the guys we wanted fouled there. Paul gets the pass in traffic and throws across court to Cam who is the right choice but a high risk pass instead of just drawing a foul plus Cam doesn't come to meet the pass because he thinks he's wide open but Minny guy flies out of nowhere. Then on the last play Cam leaves the guy who was hitting bombs the last 4 minutes to try for a steal.

That's a lot of bad plays in a short sequence. Probably best for Hyatt to take his chances and take the 2 on 1 with Cliff. One of them shoots or we get a Cliff dunk perhaps. Paul could have dribbled or gone back to Hyatt or up to Cliff. Maybe Caleb was trailing?

Gotta wonder why we're killing clock without better ball handlers and FT shooters and I'm the last guy to blame coaches. Just seems like the wrong 5 in a chaos situation. Typically we just get the ball to Cam there.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT