ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations Coach Flood-Big 12 Recruiter of the Year!

Flood has worked his way back to a point where he may get a P5 HC job. All some people will see that don’t live in NJ will be the only Rutgers HC with a winning record. BE Co Champs his first season, 8 wins his first year in B1G, Bama OL coach, Texas OL/OC
That is actually a hell of a resume…
He wasn’t ready here- and Had less than no support.
And NFL experience

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Congratulations to him. But sorry, he created a scandal that was incomprehensibly stupid that has taken years to overcome. That’s not due to Rutgers lack of support. That’s poor judgment.
In any other college, what he did was a minor transgression, not a "scandal." Our fans, alumni and our press needs to get over themselves and learn to brush off small things and not freak out over every little mistake. In the grand scheme of things, he tried the best he could to get one of his best players to pass a class. Did he do some silly things to try to cut corners and skirt rules- yup--but really minor stuff. There were some issues with compliance and drug testing, and Flood and Rutgers pointed fingers at each other as to who was responsible. It's water under the bridge now. Years to overcome is gross hyperbole.

About right for what they paid him and the support he got on hiring quality assistants. You get what you pay for.
Don’t blame him (although he did get lazy) he should have never been put on that situation. He should have been nothing more than a space holder for a couple of months so they could bring in a qualified coach. Blame the man that put him that position with one hand tied behind his back and a broken leg.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He wasn’t ready. Didn’t know what it took and I think he bought into the celebrity persona. Maybe he learned. Maybe he didn’t, but I bet he gets another opportunity if he wants it

Seems reasonable. If he does, I’ll be rooting for him.

He was trying to help a kid who I thought had a chance to play at the next level. He screwed himself trying to help the kid. The father of the kid said as much in interviews at the time.

He wasn’t ready. Didn’t know what it took and I think he bought into the celebrity persona. Maybe he learned. Maybe he didn’t, but I bet he gets another opportunity if he wants it
I think you nailed it.. .he wasn't ready, GS left, University was in a tough spot, stuck with a familiar product. So if time allowed, and interviews for multiple candidates (instead of recruiting deadline overshadowing that time), we probably would have had a different head coach at that time. Instead, RU stuck with what they had and known. So he wasn't prepared for all the things that get thrown at a head coach unexpectedly and no time to be proactive.
Still seemed like a good guy....and he held his own as best as he could at RU.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
What a difference a change of scenery makes.
I had only a brief interaction with Mr Flood and he seemed very nice and genuine

I can see him being a good recruiter.
His failure at being a head coach was because of other well known factors

It seems he is perfectly placed for the talent that he has, but I would be leery of him becoming the man in charge due to his past

Maybe he just wasn’t ready to be a HC. Especially, with little administrative support in the B1G. It takes a very special coach to get thrown into that fire as a first timer.
He wasn’t in the BIG most of his tenure . His team sucked in the AAC too

I think you nailed it.. .he wasn't ready, GS left, University was in a tough spot, stuck with a familiar product. So if time allowed, and interviews for multiple candidates (instead of recruiting deadline overshadowing that time), we probably would have had a different head coach at that time. Instead, RU stuck with what they had and known. So he wasn't prepared for all the things that get thrown at a head coach unexpectedly and no time to be proactive.
Still seemed like a good guy....and he held his own as best as he could at RU.

And he came cheap.

It's even worse when you have a bunch of scandals. I liked Flood and was happy when he was hired. But the fact is that he screwed up and got fired because of it. He's landed on his feet and good luck to him. He is a players coach but maybe at that time, he became a little too much of a players coach.
His so called scandals are not even an after thought in the sec or acc. etc

Flood’s biggest scandal was letting schiano’s program become blighted.

But his record indicates he’s a rutgers hall of famer, but the true fans know better .
I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets another shot as a HC somewhere at some point.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
When it comes to Kyle Flood it’s certainly true that absence makes the heart grow fonder for RU fans.

Is he the same coach we ran out of town on a rail?

Let’s face it, our scandals are mostly creations of a dying newspaper. The only real scandal is how incompetent our scandals actually are.

When it comes to Kyle Flood it’s certainly true that absence makes the heart grow fonder for RU fans.

Same Head Coach. Which he sucked at. He’s a good man who loved Rutgers. Didn’t have the cold-blooded-ness or organization skills to be a HC.

Reactions: Plum Street
That’s why Rutgers is not for everyone . Different animal and GS is best guy for RU for now

Agreed. It’s a complicated state. The people who have had the most success here are from NJ - McCormick, Barchi, Greg, Pernetti, Mulcahy, Hobbs.

NJ.com made the whole thing so much worse than it was and fans jumped on the bandwagon. Flood made mistakes. The program paid for it dearly and it was time to part ways when he was let go.

But he wasn’t all bad. Nobody can take that 8-5 inaugural big season away from him and it’s BS to credit it entirely to Schiano’s recruiting. Flood developed and retained those players and was a big part of the success Schiano had while he was at Rutgers.

Don’t blame him (although he did get lazy) he should have never been put on that situation. He should have been nothing more than a space holder for a couple of months so they could bring in a qualified coach. Blame the man that put him that position with one hand tied behind his back and a broken leg.
I would go further and say that if he had ever gotten support from our AD and cash for assistants, he may have even turned into a good HC. He was just thrown in to fast with no experience and no experience around him either. And once Julie threw him under the bus, he became dead man walking and then decided to just collect a huge paycheck.

The one thing I do hold against Coach Flood is that he allowed the situation to change who he was.

I heard an Austin sportswriter quoted Elmer after the award. He said “do me bee get a trowfee?”

Yep he was a nice guy, I’m just glad he’s not here.

Im assuming you’re going to omit Pernetti’s role in getting us into the B1G, the RAC improvements and increase in fundraising to make your case.
Mulchahy and schiano got us into the BIG . Pernetti did what any halfway competent administrator would do and carried the ball over the goal line.

Do people forget how much of a trainwreck 2015 was? Home invasions, Leonte Carroo suspended?

Not to mention Flood didn't recruit a single WR his final two classes.

I wonder if history will be this kind to Chris Ash in a few more years. Heck he brought himself and his whole family to the bowl game this year 2 years removed from being fired.

Flood drove a bowl team into the ground and Ash left it there.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Mulchahy and schiano got us into the BIG . Pernetti did what any halfway competent administrator would do and carried the ball over the goal line.
Mulchaly and Greg were instrumental in getting us into the B1G- without them, it doesn't happen. TP - closed the deal. It ended up coming down to his knowledge of TV viewership.

Pernetti was awful. Rice , flood and wanting to keep hill.
I have noticed that he has also been a huge failure with everything else he has done as well.

Flood- he really had no choice and if TP had stayed on as AD, we would not have experienced the problems that happened with Flood. Flood may not have stayed our HC for long but we would not have had the same problems. Julie almosted wanted Flood to fail.

As for Rice- his transgressions were even less than Flood's were and if you compared to every other major school out there- would have been nothing. Tim was railroaded on this one. He requested to fire Rice but was denied. And then when it blew up- they threw him under the bus.
Our problems during these years were much less Tim and Kyle but our School President and then the AD that followed.

Mulchaly and Greg were instrumental in getting us into the B1G- without them, it doesn't happen. TP - closed the deal. It ended up coming down to his knowledge of TV viewership.
What was his knowledge exactly ? There are a lot of cable subscribers in NY/NJ?

I firmly believe that even if Plum Street was the RU AD at the time that RU would be in the B1G. Right place, right time for Pernetti imo.

Do people forget how much of a trainwreck 2015 was? Home invasions, Leonte Carroo suspended?

Not to mention Flood didn't recruit a single WR his final two classes.

I wonder if history will be this kind to Chris Ash in a few more years. Heck he brought himself and his whole family to the bowl game this year 2 years removed from being fired.

Flood drove a bowl team into the ground and Ash left it there.
History will not be nearly as kind to Ash. Flood did have a winning record. There was considerably less of the futility that characterized the Ash years. His tenure was hopeless.

I have noticed that he has also been a huge failure with everything else he has done as well.

Flood- he really had no choice and if TP had stayed on as AD, we would not have experienced the problems that happened with Flood. Flood may not have stayed our HC for long but we would not have had the same problems. Julie almosted wanted Flood to fail.

As for Rice- his transgressions were even less than Flood's were and if you compared to every other major school out there- would have been nothing. Tim was railroaded on this one. He requested to fire Rice but was denied. And then when it blew up- they threw him under the bus.
Our problems during these years were much less Tim and Kyle but our School President and then the AD that followed.
Barchi and Julie vs Tim and Kyle . All were bad . If Julie was able to hire a football coach , she may still be here.
Either way are better off today with Holloway, hobbs, schiano and pike than we were with any of those clown shows.

In 2014, Flood went 8-5.
Beat Washington State 41-38
Beat Howard
Barely lost to Penn State 13-10, not his fault our QB threw 5 INTs.
Beat a solid Navy team that was 8-5
Beat Tulane
Beat Michigan in the most exciting and signature home B1G win in RU history at home.
Clobbered by tOSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan State
Beat Maryland
Convincingly beat North Carolina in the Quick Lane Bowl

Finished 4th in Big 10 in 2014.

While going 4-8 and 1-7 in 2015, three game were lost by less than a touchdown, and RU could have been 7-5/3-5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT