ADVERTISEMENT

Continued faculty resistance toward online partnership with for profit

I'm unclear. Do the faculty oppose more online degree programs or merely more with a partnership with Pearson?
In my former career, I worked in higher ed for 7 years, almost 4 of which were in online at 2 different universities and I can tell you that it's a crap shoot. The overall (generalizing here) quality is much lower than face to face. Mind you I'm not against the medium itself, just how the medium is often treated.

Originally posted by RUsundevil:
I'm unclear. Do the faculty oppose more online degree programs or merely more with a partnership with Pearson?
In my former career, I worked in higher ed for 7 years, almost 4 of which were in online at 2 different universities and I can tell you that it's a crap shoot. The overall (generalizing here) quality is much lower than face to face. Mind you I'm not against the medium itself, just how the medium is often treated.
I think the former is a lot of it. The faculty who are active participants in, say, the University Senate or the AAUP see on-line programs as a threat to the idea of full-time tenured faculty. After all, it will generally not be such faculty teaching the programs. I don't know if there is particular resistance to Pearson. And, from what little I know, I can agree with your "crap shoot" assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT