ADVERTISEMENT

Corey post draft

The only benefit from Corey's return would be for the fans. Corey could improve in every area, but his height makes him a dime a dozen. Coming back to Rutgers wouldn't have done him any good unless his game rose to the level of HOF. Only then he probably a draft pick. Jalen Brunson was one of the best guards in college last year, and everyone called him a lock for the 1st round. It turns out he went in the 2nd round.
And Brunson is considerably more skilled.

If Corey were taller, he would be a better prospect for an elite foreign team. There are a zillion guards, world-wide, looking to play pro ball. Think Corey was spoiled his freshman season, when EJ just let him have free reign because we didn't have much else. He had problems adjusting to the new coaching staff--and was sat down a time or two his last two seasons. He often drove into traffic with his head down, took ill-advised 3's, and was often out of position. He had excellent position coaches, but it didn't seem to "take". Late in his junior year, he was the same player he was as a freshman. And then, suddenly, it all seemed to sink in. For that run in the B1G tournament, Corey was the player the coaches had tried to get him to be. No more 3's. A dynamic, energetic mid-range scorer and facilitator. His energy fired up the team.

Was that just a temporary hot streak? Or was that the emergence of a new Corey? If it was a new Corey, he would have benefited from a senior year here, where he would have gained attention and had a better shot at making the NBA. Now he will go abroad, and if he is the New Corey, he might well do enough to get a shot at the NBA later. We all are rooting for him.
TL
Mid-range scorers are analytically inefficient and not coveted in the NBA unless they're Kevin Durant or C.J. McCollum. Both of them are also close to 40% three point shooters. Many of the better players on elite foreign teams are at least above average 3 point shooters and at best lights out ones.

A lot of teams have announced their summer league roster and unless I missed it, Corey didn’t even get on a summer league team? That’s brutal.

Coming out early is looking like a bad decision for him.

I still wish him luck but he could of certainly used that extra year to work on his game and turn some more heads in the world of professional basketball

Reactions: soundcrib
A lot of teams have announced their summer league roster and unless I missed it, Corey didn’t even get on a summer league team? That’s brutal.

Coming out early is looking like a bad decision for him.

I still wish him luck but he could of certainly used that extra year to work on his game and turn some more heads in the world of professional basketball

Agree. It is (or must be) brutal. I feel bad for the kid.

I can’t imagine that he didn’t expect this. He’ll be fine playing overseas. Does anyone really think he was that delusional that he’d get a sniff from the NBA?

Apparently some people were/are delusional enough to think he is an NBA caliber player. IIRC, during the season while posting on game threads there was always a running debate on the issue. The Corey supporters always referred to those of us who though he was a very good player, just not NBA level, as Corey haters. I never understood why they believed he was that good but they did. I wish him well and hope he succeeds overseas but I am not surprised at all that he has not received interest from the NBA. As good as he was on some nights he was equally bad on others. His inconsistency on the court from game to game was mind boggling. I thought he should stay so he could work on his game but he apparently felt the need to start to make pro money. I can't fault him for it, after all he has a family to support. But I do fault anyone who may have led him to believe he would be drafted.

Reactions: sport2231
Apparently some people were/are delusional enough to think he is an NBA caliber player. IIRC, during the season while posting on game threads there was always a running debate on the issue. The Corey supporters always referred to those of us who though he was a very good player, just not NBA level, as Corey haters. I never understood why they believed he was that good but they did. I wish him well and hope he succeeds overseas but I am not surprised at all that he has not received interest from the NBA. As good as he was on some nights he was equally bad on others. His inconsistency on the court from game to game was mind boggling. I thought he should stay so he could work on his game but he apparently felt the need to start to make pro money. I can't fault him for it, after all he has a family to support. But I do fault anyone who may have led him to believe he would be drafted.

Agree. Can’t fault him. As you’ve said, he has a family. He also hasn’t really improved in three years so there’s no reason to think he would if he had stayed...or if he would improve more playing overseas or in developmental league. Another season here is a another season he’s not earning an income. Some of it may have come down to earning a degree vs earning an income this year.

I wish him all the best and I’m rooting for him to succeed.

I truly believe he thought he’d be drafted or at the very least play in the summer league and turn some heads. Outside of our Rutgers bubble, Corey had a mass of supporters from back home and the internet telling him that it was going to be the Bacon & Sanders show in the nba. This has been going on since high school. I believe coach pikiell was the first coach Corey’s had who shortened his leash a bit and tried to reign in his expectations a bit. @Russ Wood , this accurate?

Reactions: zebnatto
I truly believe he thought he’d be drafted or at the very least play in the summer league and turn some heads. Outside of our Rutgers bubble, Corey had a mass of supporters from back home and the internet telling him that it was going to be the Bacon & Sanders show in the nba. This has been going on since high school. I believe coach pikiell was the first coach Corey’s had who shortened his leash a bit and tried to reign in his expectations a bit. @Russ Wood , this accurate?
:100points:

As a Corey “hater” myself, or someone that simply said Rutgers fans made him out to be much better then he is, what does all this say about our team.

In an odd twist, people like me are more positive about this team because I thought his production, or lack there of on many nights, can be made up and then some by the young guys getting better and more team ball on the offensive side.

For those that have claimed his loss for next year is huge, you must not think much of our roster if by far and away our best player can’t even get an invite to the summer league

While I wish Corey as much success as possible, the silver lining here to me it is shows we have decent talent on this team around him and if Pike can coach the way we think he can, I think we take another step forward this year

I’ve said it before and will probably again- the people who thought sanders had even an outside chance at the NBA are college only fans who don’t watch the NBA. When you look at the league and even the former college guys who were great that struggle to get 5 mins a game now, there was never a chance. He has too many flaws on the court (not even mentioning those off) to be given any opportunity.

Reactions: LotusAggressor
I don’t think YRC. Few if any here thought he was an NBA player. That’s very different, however, from thinking he was our best player, which he was.

I don’t think YRC. Few if any here thought he was an NBA player. That’s very different, however, from thinking he was our best player, which he was.

Either you weren't paying attention because I, and many others, has running dialogues about his NBA future during every game thread if he was playing well, or, we were on the board at totally different times.

I did not think he was an NBA player do to his inability to pop the 3 and the left hand stuff which showed minor progressions this year, however, i did think hed get a summer roster spot.

Teams like magic should give him a look.

I did not think he was an NBA player do to his inability to pop the 3 and the left hand stuff which showed minor progressions this year, however, i did think hed get a summer roster spot.

Teams like magic should give him a look.
The Magic's summer league roster has a mixture of interesting point guards. The Magic's GM values length, not that Corey has T-Rex arms but he's probably not long enough to get the attention of the Magic's GM

Reactions: MV9000

He was our best player last year. Not sure he would be our best player this winter if he was still on team. Unless tournament Sanders started showing up on the regular

Well, if he was and put up the same shooting % numbers we would be in trouble

40% from the field. 22% from 3. 70% from the FT line
And he got to those numbers by shooting 53% from the floor in the B1G Tournament when he was on fiyah.

And he got to those numbers by shooting 53% from the floor in the B1G Tournament when he was on fiyah.

Yep. To put it into context he finished 53rd in FG% in the Big Ten. 53rd! Freeman was basically statistically tied with him, though Freeman was slightly better

Again, this is not so much about Corey for me as it is the current team. We don’t have as much to make up this year as some people want to make it out to be

Yep. To put it into context he finished 53rd in FG% in the Big Ten. 53rd! Freeman was basically statistically tied with him, though Freeman was slightly better

Again, this is not so much about Corey for me as it is the current team. We don’t have as much to make up this year as some people want to make it out to be

He wasn’t a good shooter, but it’s important to be able to create your own shot.

He and Baker were the only two players able to do that last year.

Corey also had to break down a defense with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock a ridiculous amount of times last year so that will kind of hurt your shooting percentages

He wasn’t a good shooter, but it’s important to be able to create your own shot.

He and Baker were the only two players able to do that last year.

I would rather an offensive scheme where the play and passing creates a shot then having a player that can create a shot but not hit said shot.

Doing a quick scan of the 52 players ahead of Sanders in FG % he attempted the most shots at 15 a game. Most were in the 10-11 range

I will be interested to see the ability of some of these other guys without Sanders and Freeman taking 25 shots a game

Reactions: Knightmoves
Agree. Can’t fault him. As you’ve said, he has a family. He also hasn’t really improved in three years so there’s no reason to think he would if he had stayed...or if he would improve more playing overseas or in developmental league. Another season here is a another season he’s not earning an income. Some of it may have come down to earning a degree vs earning an income this year.

I wish him all the best and I’m rooting for him to succeed.
To say he hasn't improved leads me to believe you actually might be Mr. Magoo.

Reactions: ChasRC69
To say he hasn't improved leads me to believe you actually might be Mr. Magoo.

I know better than to base everything on stats. However, if you do look at the stats, you’ll find just as many went down as went up between his freshman and junior years. When he was engaged, his defense was better. The changes (both plus and minus) are almost negligible, however. Nothing outside of the stats was drastically different.

He still can’t shoot or go left. He still had the same maturity issues. He was the best player on a weak team as a freshman, sophomore, and junior.

Subtract those three games at the Graden, and he’s almost the same player.

I’ve said it before and will probably again- the people who thought sanders had even an outside chance at the NBA are college only fans who don’t watch the NBA. When you look at the league and even the former college guys who were great that struggle to get 5 mins a game now, there was never a chance. He has too many flaws on the court (not even mentioning those off) to be given any opportunity.
There is a lot of ignorance about the NBA on these boards. Some people have no idea what kinds of skills are necessary to succeed at that level.

It seems like the perception back in March was that a majority of the people here thought he'd drafted in the 2nd round. Some even thought he'd be a late first rounder.

It seems like the perception back in March was that a majority of the people here thought he'd drafted in the 2nd round. Some even thought he'd be a late first rounder.

That's not my perception of this board's expectations for Corey at all.

Reactions: MV9000

I'd actually say it was the opposite. I think most knew he had an outside shot of being drafted but potential to be signed after or Europe

I’d say no summer league invite is quite surprising. Guys like khadeen carrington and Fuquan Edwin got invites.

Reactions: TruJerz
No summer league isn't hugely surprising. I always felt his basketball future was oversees, but thought he had a small chance at seeing a little time on a G-league team before he left the country.

That just shows how many clueless fans are on message boards.

That just shows how many clueless fans are on message boards.
There may be a number of clueless fans on this board, maybe we're even among them. But few of the fans here believed last year that Sanders was an NBA player. That statement is just post-hoc, made-up stuff.

I mean, look at the sentence itself: "the perception back in March is that a majority of the people here thought." What does that clause even mean? The perception was that some people thought something. What kind of thing is that to say. Who had this perception that some people thought this thing? -- maybe the poster who wrote that sentence. Regardless, that perception is way far from reality.

Yeaaaahhhhh I don't remember it this way. I could be wrong though. If you link to a thread to back this up I will certainly give you an "I'll be damned..." reply.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Not sure where the perception is that most felt corey was nba material. General thought has been he doesnt have the size or skills for the NBA.

Some times this board can be very intelligent and other times a simple intellectual waste land

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT