ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of his posts are shtick, intended to troll people (although once in awhile I'm just not sure it's all schtick). He's nowhere near as moronic as he appears, but for reasons that elude me, he enjoys this persona on line.
Everyone needs a vice. Not that complicated.

I imagine this is a bit tongue in cheek, but yeah, I wouldn't waste my time on a board that was functioning strictly to out dumb one another.
I don't completely understand what you're saying, but I think I could be a winner!!!!!

uhOOzoi.gif

Wait, we're supposed to be taking posts seriously around here?

That doesn't seem like a good idea at all.
It's a college football message board.
+1
People forget this is an online message board for a college football program. It's lighthearted and entertainment for most users. It's not the floor of the Roman Senate.

+1
People forget this is an online message board for a college football program. It's lighthearted and entertainment for most users. It's not the floor of the Roman Senate.
I don't subscribe to the idea that because this is a college message board that I will then act the fool.

Especially in a thread where there is some clearly serious posts on a clearly serious subject.

But if that is the role you were born to play......

Article on obesity and COVID-19 severity...specifically the cytokine storm risk.

From the article:

People with obesity are commonly shown to have an unbalanced or inflamed immune system. Their blood often has higher levels of several inflammatory signals which are similar to COVID-19 responses in the body. This may mean their immune systems are more likely to overreact to a coronavirus infection.

Fat tissue also acts as a vast reservoir for a range of immune cells, including macrophages and T cells. Macrophages devour infectious agents (such as bacteria and viruses) and present the leftovers to T cells, who alert the body of infection.

After becoming infected with coronavirus, an obese person’s body may activate the large fat-dwelling reservoir of immune cells, which can cause excessive swelling and inflammation. This disproportionate activation of the immune system can cause damage in organs, including the lungs.

At day seven to ten of COVID-19, the patient often either begins to improve or can take a turn for the worse. This delayed deterioration suggests that the true harm caused by COVID-19 may be caused by the cytokine storm, rather than the infection itself.

Because fat tissue stores a large reservoir of immune cells, people with obesity may be more likely to suffer a cytokine storm reaction from COVID-19. This would result in damage to the lungs, severe respiratory distress or even death.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-linked-greater-risk-life-121109401.html

I don't subscribe to the idea that because this is a college message board that I will then act the fool.

Especially in a thread where there is some clearly serious posts on a clearly serious subject.

But if that is the role you were born to play......
F3KQEAM.gif

Don’t know when they did this, but the worldometers site added a rolling 7 day average to their charts and you can now drill down into some individual states. NJ seems to be trending in the right direction. Somewhere like Texas, not so much.

The 7 day averages are very useful because of the inconsistencies in terms of timely data updates.

But NJ is in plateau mode, not increasing, but not decreasing either. That's not great news imo.

Texas as you say is on the upswing. Both in new cases and deaths. So while their overall #'s are still not that high, they are heading in the wrong direction.

Florida does look to be doing very well. It's total numbers never got overwhelming and their trends (edit) the new cases at least, (deaths are on a plateau) are moving in the right direction. .

Last edited:
The 7 day averages are very useful because of the inconsistencies in terms of timely data updates.

But NJ is in plateau mode, not increasing, but not decreasing either. That's not great news imo.

Texas as you say is on the upswing. Both in new cases and deaths. So while their overall #'s are still not that high, they are heading in the wrong direction.

Florida does look to be doing very well. It's total numbers never got overwhelming and there trends are moving in the right direction. .

NJ isn't in plateau mode, state-wide. If you look at the N/C/S breakdown, northern NJ is clearly in decline, CNJ is in shallow decline and south Jerz is increasing pretty markedly. It's about what you'd expect from a virus that is migrating through the country from high-density areas to low-density areas.

NJ isn't in plateau mode, state-wide. If you look at the N/C/S breakdown, northern NJ is clearly in decline, CNJ is in shallow decline and south Jerz is increasing pretty markedly. It's about what you'd expect from a virus that is migrating through the country from high-density areas to low-density areas.
Well as a whole it would be a plateau, but good point that we see decreases in some areas, with increases in others.

It is important to look at the numbers more regionally and not just clump them together.

Don’t know when they did this, but the worldometers site added a rolling 7 day average to their charts and you can now drill down into some individual states. NJ seems to be trending in the right direction. Somewhere like Texas, not so much.

As has been said many times, number of confirmed cases just means more positive tests. It is not meaningful without other information, including how many tests have been done. With Texas, they have dramatically increased the number of tests done in the past week. That is a logical reason for increased confirmed cases.

Clicking on a state here can give you some details: https://covidtracking.com/data

Texas seems to have about a 5% rate of positives from their tests; that means 95% negative. That percentage may be slightly increased from a month ago, but is a rate where if every state was there, the country would be in pretty good shape.

For comparison, just yesterday, New Jersey had 20% of its tests as positive. This is greatly decreased, but I'm not sure NJ ever had a day where they returned 5% or less positives.

Also, the better indicator of the outbreak's rate/slope is hospitalizations in NJ and those have been steadily decreasing. Cases are often tied to testing rates, which vary quite a lot.

Agree on the density comment too, which is what we're going to see writ large across the rest of the US. The endpoint doesn't change, i.e., the same percentage of people will eventually be infected (and die, although that % can change some based on demographics/health care system) everywhere on the planet (if no vaccine) - it's only the rate that changes and that's highly dependent on density, mobility, distancing, masks, etc, i.e., it might take 6 months to reach herd immunity in NYC and 18 months in Pennsyltucky.

+1
You could add so much more to this thread, which many do use for their information, whether you like to believe that or not (since they're here anyway and for the most part the info is pretty damn good from a host of smart posters).

You could add so much more to this thread, which many do use for their information, whether you like to believe that or not (since they're here anyway and for the most part the info is pretty damn good from a host of smart posters).
Your forecasting threads are important too and well received especially by those of us who have to deal with the elements as part of our job. Sometimes even in a life or death fashion.

That being said, roll with this and consider your audience. ALL of them.

Keep up the good work but realize you guys aren’t the be all and end all here.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
So a bit of a dispute regarding death totals in Florida. The state is disregarding the tallies from a medical examiners commission, which is comprised of some out of state people working in Florida.

State dept of health reported 72 for Tuesday.
Medical examiners commission reported 113. This number would be the highest one day total for the state.

And I think there are similar potential disputes from other states. Some think the numbers in NJ are overblown as they attribute some deaths to covid despite no test to confirm that.

As has been said many times, number of confirmed cases just means more positive tests. It is not meaningful without other information, including how many tests have been done. With Texas, they have dramatically increased the number of tests done in the past week. That is a logical reason for increased confirmed cases.

Clicking on a state here can give you some details: https://covidtracking.com/data

Texas seems to have about a 5% rate of positives from their tests; that means 95% negative. That percentage may be slightly increased from a month ago, but is a rate where if every state was there, the country would be in pretty good shape.

For comparison, just yesterday, New Jersey had 20% of its tests as positive. This is greatly decreased, but I'm not sure NJ ever had a day where they returned 5% or less positives.

Well aware. I’m looking at deaths.

Well,he's keeping the jackboot on us until sometime in June(Being into equality,the Surf will probably want to kill Father's Day as well).At least that's current pacifier.

On the bright side,there's a barbershop in Nashua,New Hampshire that serves beer.

So a bit of a dispute regarding death totals in Florida. The state is disregarding the tallies from a medical examiners commission, which is comprised of some out of state people working in Florida.

Medical examiners commission reported 113. This number would be the highest one day total for the state.

And I think there are similar potential disputes from other states. Some think the numbers in NJ are overblown as they attribute some deaths to covid despite no test to confirm that.
NJ deaths are definitely questionable. NJ confirmed again today.....anyone that dies that happens to have covid is counted as a covid death (regardless of the actual cause of death). Sorry, but this is complete nonsense.

Reactions: biker7766

NJ deaths are definitely questionable. NJ confirmed again today.....anyone that dies that happens to have covid is counted as a covid death (regardless of the actual cause of death). Sorry, but this is complete nonsense.
Say someone “escaped” to FL from NY and or NJ with it and dies in FL. FL death or NY/NJ one?

On it's face I agree.

But when the states death toll for April is more then double it's average for the month? You realize that understating of the totals is more likely.

https://www.nj.gov/health/chs/documents/2015-2020 Deaths by Month and County of Residence.pdf

Now NJ does compute a years of potential life lost, and I imagine this number is significantly lower then it normally is.

And I also imagine, that in the months ahead we see a dip in deaths below average as many people who would have died later are now dying during this pandemic.

Still, judging by the chart above, I don't think the covid death totals are inflated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT