ADVERTISEMENT

Credit To Greg....

rutobs

Sophomore
Jan 26, 2012
Say what you want, but hats off to Greg for taking Rutgers back from the doldrums to a bowl game for the second time; it's impressive on any level. We have had some haters on the board since he was re-hired, but there are many other coaches who either didn't want this job or couldn't have done what Greg did without understanding what this job entailed. Good for him, the school and all of us long-suffering fans. So happy to go back to a bowl! Now, lets go get another win or two, and also get at least 10,000 to travel to our bowl game!

All the love to Greg, but don’t forget about the entire staff. Especially Harasymiak and Flaherty. Development, scheme, and preparedness has been there on a weekly basis. And Greg has these kids locked in and believing. Greg will go nowhere; he decides when he wants to leave.

I was beginning to see this season being a dud. But Schiano did a great job.

There's no question the roster is improved. There's no debate that the coaching staff is better.

Unfortunately, we are still lacking at the QB and WR position for one reason or another. That's the one thing keeping RU from beating the Wisconsin type teams for now. A good receiving core with good QB play would make this team realistically 9-3. Obviously PSU/OSU/Mich are at a different level for us.

Hopefully the recruits/transfers see what we are capable of and recruiting improves drastically.

Reactions: RU#1fan

There's no question the roster is improved. There's no debate that the coaching staff is better.

Unfortunately, we are still lacking at the QB and WR position for one reason or another. That's the one thing keeping RU from beating the Wisconsin type teams for now. A good receiving core with good QB play would make this team realistically 9-3. Obviously PSU/OSU/Mich are at a different level for us.

Hopefully the recruits/transfers see what we are capable of and recruiting improves drastically.

Still thin in some places but more depth overall. Reflected in the return of special teams generating turnovers like they did in years 4 and later during Schiano 1.0. Never forget reading the Syracuse HC's lips when a return blocked kick for a TD went by him. "Every ****ing year."

That $7 Millon represents more than just 2023.
I think the people in Iowa know what disadvantages they have and still Iowa wins enough to be envious of them. That's why he makes the big bucks. In many ways Ferentz IS the program. Heck, he even looks like the Hawkeye these days.

The best thing for both Greg and Rutgers is that he is getting his "stain" back. It will be much easier for him to go out and fundraise.. which is his primary job in these NIL days. Maybe that's why we see him being so demonstrative. Along with "CHOP".. "IT WORKED OUT" could be a calling card he uses in speeches in the area. Networking. Gathering support. Hell.. if we get a good bowl.. invest in some "whale" donor perks for the bowl game.. great seats, special access.. make it a real event for those donor types we seek to seduce. Hell.. maybe Pinstripe.. which I hate.. could work well.. if we could get some special access to Yankee Stadium for the top donors.

Reactions: Plum Street
Still thin in some places but more depth overall. Reflected in the return of special teams generating turnovers like they did in years 4 and later during Schiano 1.0. Never forget reading the Syracuse HC's lips when a return blocked kick for a TD went by him. "Every ****ing year."
Still 2 years away from filling the pipeline . To those who scoffed at Schiano’s coaching ability Schiano has brought some sense of pride back after 9 long years f futility.

All the love to Greg, but don’t forget about the entire staff. Especially Harasymiak and Flaherty. Development, scheme, and preparedness has been there on a weekly basis. And Greg has these kids locked in and believing. Greg will go nowhere; he decides when he wants to leave.
great point!

Brantley’s NCAA situation and Long’s injury have hurt our WR depth. I’d be curious to see how different (if at all) Gavin and our offense would look if we had those 2 all season.

Reactions: RU#1fan
Surprised that Ferentz has UConn and University of Maine in his playing and coaching background.
Ferentz’s coaching record is top-notch, especially given the level of Div-1 football talent in the state of Iowa.

I agree 100%.

This post in a nutshell. The OL has been the difference. This is a unit that wasn’t coached or recruited properly over the years. And they have come together to be an asset. The D is special and Harasymiak is a special coach hat is getting the most out of his guys.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Surprised that Ferentz has UConn and University of Maine in his playing and coaching background.
Ferentz’s coaching record is top-notch, especially given the level of Div-1 football talent in the state of Iowa.

Probably deserves a new thread especially during a bye week.
Discuss BigTen coaches …how it started…how it’s going kinda thing.
OK I’ve started one.

But for an extra $3 mill a year Rutgers could have Kirk Ferentz and his offensive juggernaut…😂
Kirk clocks in at $7 mill a year.
Star Ledgers asking if Schiano should get a contract extension? Schiano has 4 more years on his contract but he’s the lowest pay Big Ten coach at $4 million a year.

He wanted a guaranteed contract at the beginning but didn’t get it. I say we guara tee the balance of his contract. We’re not firing him in the next 3 years. I thought Schiano was a great choice for rehire and he‘s actually better the second time. I think the second time is actually harder to convince the best in state players to play for Rutgers again.

Star Ledgers asking if Schiano should get a contract extension? Schiano has 4 more years on his contract but he’s the lowest pay Big Ten coach at $4 million a year.

He wanted a guaranteed contract at the beginning but didn’t get it. I say we guara tee the balance of his contract. We’re not firing him in the next 3 years. I thought Schiano was a great choice for rehire and he‘s actually better the second time. I think the second time is actually harder to convince the best in state players to play for Rutgers again.
If he wins one more, we have to at a minimum guarantee it. If he wins 2, have to extend him

Brantley’s NCAA situation and Long’s injury have hurt our WR depth. I’d be curious to see how different (if at all) Gavin and our offense would look if we had those 2 all season.
If we get one of those two back in time (or both) for the Iowa game in 3 weeks that would be a huge advantage for us.

After watching our game and the Iowa game, I am moving the Iowa game to the win column. As much as some think we have no offense, it’s 10 points better than Iowa’s.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
If we were playing Iowa home this season I think we win … We have a good chance to win there as well. So where will we go at 8-4 this holiday season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT