ADVERTISEMENT

Damn it, we should be 17-11!

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Games like tonight make you so frustrated that the Penn State and Maryland games where just bracket breakers…

Could it be the rotation? Possibly. Tonight seemed to work with no Big E and Wolf.

I would say which team do you think we are? I agree we are inconsistent but the fact remains those were abominations, because we’ve seen TONIGHTS Rutgers team a few times, and it’s possible to go on a run.
we are a offensively challenged team that took it to a really bad defensive team that has won only 2 of its lasst 19. Alot of things came together tonight led by Coach Pike's gameplan bu we were dreadful vs Maryland and Penn State and had no ability to stay with Purdue or even Minnesota

We also had no Mag. You don’t want him either? Explain how we won by 30 but last year with no Mag we lost to 1-19 Minnesota. So bad theory. This team had untapped potential we’ve seen it come thru in a few games, but we still could show something for it, welcome to March

We also had no Mag. You don’t want him either? Explain how we won by 30 but last year with no Mag we lost to 1-19 Minnesota. So bad theory. This team had untapped potential we’ve seen it come thru in a few games, but we still could show something for it, welcome to March
we are what our record says. ...15-13.....We are 5-3 with J Will with 2 of those wins to a 8-21 team. Can jump up and beat some good teams but can also be beaten pretty convincingly by ordinary competition.

With jwill I can buy that....I'm convinced he was hurt or just gassed the last 3 games no reason for him not to be controlling the game as he did tonight..

Reactions: Scangg
It is what it is. It's all about building for next season at this point

I think JWill bad couple games was after he hurt himself a bit. Lost a little explosion. Looked quicker with more burst today

Whole team looked "fresh". If we ever have a good offensive game, we can beat anyone. They just happen to be few and far between

Michigan is soft. The lane was open ALL night. It was good to see guys playing smart and driving to the hole.

With only 5 turnovers, it hides the 10ish bad shots we take a game.

Never thought we had a chance in the PSU and Maryland losses. They both play aggressive defense.

We could have easily lost the Nebraska game or the Northwestern game.
You're doing it wrong, LOL. You can only gain wins with the rose-colored-glasses method, not losses (It's not a zero-sum game, since other fan bases are turning losses to Rutgers into wins using the same method).

Hopefully everybody understands that I'm making a lame joke about us message boarders...

You're doing it wrong, LOL. You can only gain wins with the rose-colored-glasses method, not losses (It's not a zero-sum game, since other fan bases are turning losses to Rutgers into wins using the same method).

Hopefully everybody understands that I'm making a lame joke about us message boarders...
💯 message board logic 101

I would say which team do you think we are? I agree we are inconsistent but the fact remains those were abominations, because we’ve seen TONIGHTS Rutgers team a few times, and it’s possible to go on a run.
That’s right. Somehow, at this point, we’re not really the team that’s worse than 300th in the country in every shooting category imaginable because we beat up on a truly horrendous team that has been imploding on an epic scale for months. Just as all the teams that beat them in an amazing 17 of the last 19 games must also be better than their records.

Last edited:
Penn State has better guards than us and JWill did not play either.

Games like tonight make you so frustrated that the Penn State and Maryland games where just bracket breakers…

Could it be the rotation? Possibly. Tonight seemed to work with no Big E and Wolf.

We played one of our worst games ever under Pike vs. Penn State.

We deserved to lose that game.

Reactions: biazza38
Screw it while we’re at it, we should have beaten Wake, Miss State and Illinois both game. Add those games as well and we’re 21-7

we are a offensively challenged team that took it to a really bad defensive team that has won only 2 of its lasst 19. Alot of things came together tonight led by Coach Pike's gameplan bu we were dreadful vs Maryland and Penn State and had no ability to stay with Purdue or even Minnesota
Howard has completely lost that team as they have zero commitment to defense.

We played one of our worst games ever under Pike vs. Penn State.

We deserved to lose that game.
Team learned that day that JWill was not allowed to play after expecting to get word otherwise. Head was not in it an PSU literally took the black out off out hands all night long. You can't beat anyone when your head is not in it.

Reactions: S_Janowski
We could have easily lost the Nebraska game or the Northwestern game.
If Stonehill hadn’t missed a late layup, we would have lost to them, even though they only six scholarship players available . . . unfortunately we are just not very good this year.

Last edited:
we are what our record says. ...15-13.....We are 5-3 with J Will with 2 of those wins to a 8-21 team. Can jump up and beat some good teams but can also be beaten pretty convincingly by ordinary competition.
It’s 100% this. Just like I was saying in the “dead cat bounce” thread.. the team isn’t one or the other. It’s both. Or perhaps it’s neither.. it’s somewhere in the middle and Stonehill/Maryland vs Wisconsin/Michigan just represent the extremes of how badly/well it can play.

If we had JWill all season, I have no doubt we would have a better record. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas!

But it is what it is. Let's try to steal another road W or two, win on Senior Day (that game looks tough now), and at least make the NIT.

Reactions: bac2therac
If Stonehill hadn’t missed a late layup, we would have lost to them, even though they only six scholarship player available . . . unfortunately we are just not very good this year.
The stats support your conclusion.Rutgers has a 15-13 record with three games remaining.They will be the underdog against Nebraska and Wisconsin on the road and face a dangerous Ohio State team at the RAC with a new head coach and multiple double digit scoring threats.

Team learned that day that JWill was not allowed to play after expecting to get word otherwise. Head was not in it an PSU literally took the black out off out hands all night long. You can't beat anyone when your head is not in it.
Poor excuse if true, cost them bid… but mostly speculation.

Reactions: dconifer
I guess I'm the only clown that is looking for this team to win the b1g tournament? Nit, sphmit, team should still think they are better than anyone put on the court against them..why do I as a fan have to be "realistic"? win the tournament if you want to dance, play the winning players, next year is next year but you win the day everyday to build a winning culture. Hoping that you can just get by and maybe get to the nit is not a winning mindset. The first step is believing in yourself...

Reactions: dconifer
Now of course I wouldn't bet on it or tell the guys they suck if they don't win the b1g tournament. But I do have confidence in the work that these guys have put in over the years as d1 basketball players and coaches. Going back to the ongoing market analogy here as fans, don't over leverage yourself betting on the team or making grandiose predictions. Obviously members of the team should never be bearish on their future. But it sucks to be a fan of a team that you expect to lose. Lol 🤔 I stop watching a team when it gets like that, can't be good for the psyche. No team in the b1g is that good that this team, with a healthy fresh jwill, can't beat.

Last edited:
Since they now have a guard that actually looks like a starting d1 guard and makes good decisions. Ive gone into each game since jwill got here expecting the team to fight hard and win because their backs are against the wall..

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
I guess I'm the only clown that is looking for this team to win the b1g tournament? Nit, sphmit, team should still think they are better than anyone put on the court against them..why do I as a fan have to be "realistic"? win the tournament if you want to dance, play the winning players, next year is next year but you win the day everyday to build a winning culture. Hoping that you can just get by and maybe get to the nit is not a winning mindset. The first step is believing in yourself...
Anything can happen in a tournament. If we get the right matchups. If the elite D not the Maryland game shows up. If we have a hot shooting stretch... if we finish strong it'll give a sliver of hope

Reactions: Jerseylegends
Poor excuse. You mean being human and reacting emotionally? Looking forward to sharing and having it pulled away? What exactly makes it a bad excuse?

Unfortunate, yes. Regrettable, yes. Poor excuse. Not in my book.

Nope - I said it earlier and I will stick to my guns. I don’t know why but I have a crazy feeling this is our year to pull it off as long if we can avoid drawing the Illini. That’s the one team I just don’t see us beating.

Nope - I said it earlier and I will stick to my guns. I don’t know why but I have a crazy feeling this is our year to pull it off as long if we can avoid drawing the Illini. That’s the one team I just don’t see us beating.
Yeah Shannon loves playing Rutgers. Hoping it can be one of those nights that Fernandes or palmquist catch fire along with cliff, jwill, mag living up to their names. Think they can get a w..

Yesterday was the exception, not the norm. The team started the game what, 9-10 from the field?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT