ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed in Cliff

I said in the OP I don’t know if the 3rd was really a foul. The 4th was definitely a stupid reach in.

But Cliff needs to play smarter - no reason to be defending a guy that closely after a missed basket or reaching when you are teetering on foul trouble.

If Cliff isn’t in foul trouble with stupid fouls we don’t need to dip into our bench (Reiber/Woolfolk) as much.

I also think Cliff got away with a few reaches/fouls throughout the game.
I think our team in general reaches in way much. It is a stupid foul, it almost always gets called, even if there is little or even no contact. To me it is a coaching issue, our guys need to play defense with better positioning and less reaching.

The guy has another double double and people are disappointed. Yup, everything is as normal here after a loss.
10 and 10 (a DD) is hardly a dominating performance in this league. You know you can go 5 for 20 and get 10 points, right? He's a 6'11" center so 10 rebounds isn't some amazing stat either.

Cliff was just nominated for the Kareem award as one of the 10 best big men in the country

Cliff is one of the highest rated defenders in the country according to multiple advanced statistics

Did you not see what happened when he was off the court today?
I dont care what he is nominated for or what he is rated defensively. I watch the games and can see with my own 2 eyes that he has not been good defensively. As for the watch list, he is completely over rated.

Last edited:
The guy has another double double and people are disappointed. Yup, everything is as normal here after a loss.
I thought he padded his stats today in the end of game garbage time. Did he seem like the best big man on the floor? Maybe that is an unfair expectation but Hawkins and Danigia looked better to me.

Reactions: bac2therac
Not sure I understand this take. Dainja had a big game because Cliff was on the bench for as long as he was. No one else had an answer for him.

He should be criticized for the bad fouls he picked up but idk how you come away from that game thinking Cliff got dominated by their big.
Dainja was having a big game against Cliff and it continued when Reiber entered the game. Then when Ill went small, Hawkins moved to the 5 and ate Dean for lunch. Did you watch the game?

Couple thoughts on Cliff.
1) He needs to post up much closer to to the basket. Conversely, he shouldn’t be passed to unless he is closer to the basket
2) I wonder how much better, if at all, he would be with Jay Young still on the staff to coach the big men
Bingo!

The problem with Cliff today was his inability to stay on the court

He is infinitely better than Dean or wolf right now

Reactions: S_Janowski
WTF is your problem? Average at best?

Cliff was just nominated for an award as one of the top 10 big men in the country.

Shows how much you know about basketball - nothing!!

He started late in basketball, but he has exceptional athletic skills. Just watch him get up after being knocked to the floor.

He is learning the game, and there is absolutely no reason to imagine he will not end up playing the game well at a high level. He is still figuring things out.

I personally love the young man and his attitude.

No one is a harder worker, so I can't imagine him not being highly successful in the end.
Who cares what he is nominated for, it means nothing. The big men that he guards have big nights against him and he cant score without dunking the ball. He is avg at best.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Bardo said that if Edey and TJD were not in the conference Cliff would be the top dog. Not seeing it that way. I thought Rebraca got the better of him in the first game against Iowa, and certainly Dianja looked his equal this afternoon. I am sure Hunter Dickinson will be looking to establish himself when we play them in a couple of weeks. I realize Cliff does not get much help from our other bigs but he just is coming up small in key matchups where we need him to hold his own.
Lets not forget that Zed Key got the better of him in the 1st Ohio St game, as did the Miami and Temple big men.

Cliff misses ron and geo immensely. 2 guys that would go to the rim and lob to cliff. He's just not a post up guy. Needs a lot of movement around the rim.

Dainja was having a big game against Cliff and it continued when Reiber entered the game. Then when Ill went small, Hawkins moved to the 5 and ate Dean for lunch. Did you watch the game?
Sure did bud! Not sure why you couldn’t make your point without being a dick about it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT