ADVERTISEMENT

Does Cliff go pro this yr?

Does anyone know if Cliff is interested in becoming a US citizen?

Not sure how all that works, but if he can get citizenship it would open up NIL opportunities. It's quite a long process though. I remember my Egyptian roommate finally got his in college and he was here since he was like 5

Do universities offer any help or assistance to students who want to go down that path?
Would be a good program to garner favorable status with international students and athletes.

Do universities offer any help or assistance to students who want to go down that path?
Would be a good program to garner favorable status with international students and athletes.
It's not that easy and a LOT of people want to do it. There are more steps than just going from a student visa to citizenship.
If RU takes a trip overseas this summer (they're due) Cliff may have NIL opportunities then.

This times 10x.
The amount of times balls bounce off his hands is certainly frustrating. I don’t know what it takes to fix that, but if he can get that polished up, he’d easily add a handful more buckets and rebounds.
Sometimes getting Shaq Doorson flashbacks

50/50 if he goes he will be in the G league, does him no good sitting on an NBA bench. He is an engineering major, really hard to get the degree in 3 yrs. Comes down to choices and priorities. Another year probably helps his game a bit, really needs a consistent jump shot. His footwork and positioning is getting better but stlll needs development

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Cliff will be a pro player. His route is not clear to me but I read the first 15 responses and did not see one that talked about this kids character. They say he makes the team atmosphere better because he appreciates how much we all have in this country. Love him not just for his ability but the person who he is. We would be so lucky to have him back again next year. He has been a treasure for this program.

Cliff can get more NIL $$ on the Rutgers trip overseas than the G-League pays, maybe even more than the two-way contract he probably won't get.
Hopefully, he gets good advice on this and listens to the people giving him good advice as opposed to anyone telling him he's anything but an extreme long shot to ever play in the NBA.

One of the pods mentioned this and it stuck with me. His offense needs a lot of work and he'll make so much more progress in the G League with better coaching and a sole focus on basketball. Even if he doesn't make the NBA, he'll be better prepared for euro leagues.

Cliff has been a solid, if (lately) unspectacular, center this year. He’s likely 2nd team All BiG behind Edey and likely Dickinson, who is help Jett Howard carry Michigan. That being said, I wonder if he’s a first round prospect.

A quick scan of 3 or 4 mock drafts doesn’t have Cliff in the first round.

Would he stay one more year?
The only way Cliff makes it into the Pro's is ..... oh never mind LOL. Just having fun. I think he comes back. Just a feeing. I think it would be good to have Edy and the UM guy clear the league plus I think he's not quite there and loves playing with Pike and this team.
Why Jersey Mike's hasn't signed him to a NIL for the Cliff "Big Stuff" Sub I do not know.

Does anyone know if Cliff is interested in becoming a US citizen?

Not sure how all that works, but if he can get citizenship it would open up NIL opportunities. It's quite a long process though.
Student visas are much easier to get than green cards or citizenship. Employers can sponsor employees for citizenship but it’s a long process.

Student visas are much easier to get than green cards or citizenship. Employers can sponsor employees for citizenship but it’s a long process.
I'm not an immigration lawyer, but my understanding is that you can not go from Student Visa to Green Card or H1B or whatever without returning to your home country unless there are specific extenuating circumstances.

It's madness as we took in 2.5 million plus along our southern border in 2022 but Cliff would have to return home after graduating before being able to get a job in the US.

I'm not an immigration lawyer, but my understanding is that you can not go from Student Visa to Green Card or H1B or whatever without returning to your home country unless there are specific extenuating circumstances.

It's madness as we took in 2.5 million plus along our southern border in 2022 but Cliff would have to return home after graduating before being able to get a job in the US.
They all got green cards? Someone bus him down to Mexico fast.

KTR needs to setup an LLC from Cliff’s home country. Maybe pay him in BTC via Cayman Island secret illegal offshore account?

Cliff isn't going pro this year, but I think a light bulb has finally started to go on for him again.

He has the size and athleticism obv to make it but he needs to refine his skills.

To make the NBA he needs to be at 70 FT 30 3PT and he is at 62/22 - so yea he's getting closer, but still a bit of a ways to go

I don't believe this is totally correct but I'm not an immigration attorney or expert either. I don't necessarily believe one has to return to their home country to initiate the process as long as they have lined up a visa-sponsored job upon the conclusion of the student visa. In many cases the student may not even get any chance to go back to the home country, and if allowed once their employment starts, such visits might be limited in number and for short duration.

An international student has to be able to secure employment allowing them to go from a student visa to a work visa/H1B (probably within a 60? day window of graduating), which visa has to be continuously sponsored by an employer. Maybe the NBA or its business entity that runs the G-League could be an example of an employer-sponsor in the case of a professional basketball player.

With a work/H1B visa (which probably needs to be renewed every X years or so) in hand, you start the citizenship process by applying for a green card/permanent resident status.

Once you are granted a green card (this could take a few years) recognizing you as a permament resident of the U.S., you then apply for full citizenship which historically would be a 5 years or so waiting period that has also been known to drag out to 10 years or more.

During this entire combined period of holding a work visa followed by holding a green card, I believe you can't really leave the U.S. for an extended period as you demonstrate your desire to make this country your home. Not sure how playing overseas basketball seasons in Europe/Asia every year would be viewed by immigration officials but suppose it might be kosher if you keep coming back to U.S. during each off-season.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I don't believe this is totally correct but I'm not an immigration attorney or expert either. I don't necessarily believe one has to return to their home country to initiate the process as long as they have lined up a visa-sponsored job upon the conclusion of the student visa. In many cases the student may not even get any chance to go back to the home country, and if allowed once their employment starts, such visits might be limited in number and for short duration.
We're saying essentially the same thing, I wrote "extenuating circumstances" which I believe can be family related or if you get a job offer in a particularly hot field.

I don't think you can be on a student visa and get an H1B or Green Card to work at the same time, which is essentially what Cliff would want/need. My experience in this is from knowing someone who advises a few college students each year on student visas, they ALL want to stay after graduation and work here but it's not easy.

It's been announced RU hoops is going overseas this summer - Cliff can get NIL then, so hopefully, money won't hold Cliff back from returning if that's what he wants to do.

The probability is at least 50 percent that Cliff and Paul leave after this season whch means the transfer portal will be important.I doubt the coaching staff know their intentions right now.

Unfortuately guys like Edey have no place in today's NBA. Cliff has a better shot at getting drafted.
Edey might consider just trying to rake in NIL money and stay for all his eligibility. Dominate college basketball and be an all time great. Try to win a title

Ugh. Edey is so boring, aggravating and generally unlikable. He’s got two more years of eligibility. I hope he doesn’t use them both.

I think Cliff had lottery pick potential at the start of the year, but his percentage struggles on offense have been rough lately.

That probably sounds crazy, but if Cliff was a 38%-40% 3PT shooter taking about 3-4 a game his draft stock would skyrocket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT