ADVERTISEMENT

Does Greg finally have a Big 10 staff

Under Schiano, Ohio State tied for 50th nationally in scoring defense, surrendering 25.5 points per game despite being among the most talented teams in the country. Schiano’s defenses have produced one baffling performance in each of the last two seasons — giving up 55 points to Iowa and 49 to Purdue, respectively — leading to losses that kept the Buckeyes out of the College Football Playoff.

Under Schiano, Ohio State tied for 50th nationally in scoring defense, surrendering 25.5 points per game despite being among the most talented teams in the country. Schiano’s defenses have produced one baffling performance in each of the last two seasons — giving up 55 points to Iowa and 49 to Purdue, respectively — leading to losses that kept the Buckeyes out of the College Football Playoff.
Not defend Greg but didn't that year the OSU offense had a ton of turnovers that put the defense into a lot of bad short field situations?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not defend Greg but didn't that year the OSU offense had a ton of turnovers that put the defense into a lot of bad short field situations?
Facts don't matter to angry haters. The Ohio State thing has been debated to death. It's not enough for haters to debate his record as a head coach, which is certainly fair game. But they diminish their credibility when they attack his work as DC.

Reactions: RU#1fan
First, numerous teams are competing without NIL support, and numerous teams are failing with mega-NIL support (see A&M and Miami). so that dog won't hunt. And you cite Maryland losing a player to Alabama, but how are they competing, Al?

So, it is untrue that "without NIL support, it's tough to do anything." That is an extremely weak excuse and a false flag.

Our facilities are not at all weak. Our practice field is first class, and our facilities in the Hale Center are fantastic.
lol what teams are competing without NIL? If there are, that’s certainly the exception.

If you want to win in this league you need to recruit. NIL is the single biggest factor in recruiting. Do the math.

Think we need a new coach? Fine, just remember no good coach is coming here without proper NIL support.

lol what teams are competing without NIL? If there are, that’s certainly the exception.

If you want to win in this league you need to recruit. NIL is the single biggest factor in recruiting. Do the math.

Think we need a new coach? Fine, just remember no good coach is coming here without proper NIL support.
Maryland says hi.

The Schiano apologists are out in full force again, using every excuse possible to justify his ongoing, decades-long incompetence. They're not Rutgers fans - for whatever contrived reason, they're simply Schiano fans.

At Ohio State, Schiano had 5 stars everywhere yet still fielded one of the worst defenses in that program's recent history, thereby refuting this bunk NIL excuse. He then got fired at OSU and wasn't even considered for their head coaching job. He was also fired in Tampa, after an embarrassing stint in the NFL. He was never seriously reconsidered as an NFL head coach.

And in year 3 at Rutgers, his teams are still getting blasted by supposed near-peer programs like Maryland, at home. And yet this is someone who our more delusional fans think will resurrect this program. It's humorous at this point.

Schiano doesn't even have the temperament to field tough questions in his press conferences after all of his losing. He's quick to anger and intimidates the media by questioning their knowledge of the game whenever they ask why he loses so frequently, despite being an abysmal head coach for nearly a generation. Only at Rutgers does someone with his resume get rewarded with a massive contract and undeserved praise from the fanbase.
I didn't want GS back. But jeez, calm down. 🤣

The time for those sorts of arguments was back before GS was hired. At this stage, it's shouting at the moon. Nobody on the forum has any control over what happens. Makes absolutely no difference what fans think. Only matters what the AD thinks.

I didn't want GS back. But jeez, calm down. 🤣

The time for those sorts of arguments was back before GS was hired. At this stage, it's shouting at the moon. Nobody on the forum has any control over what happens. Makes absolutely no difference what fans think. Only matters what the AD thinks.
It’s like some of these people think that if they attack Schiano enough on this forum Hobbes is going to be suddenly convinced. We have what we have, just deal with it. If he doesn’t get it done, he’ll get fired. That’s all there really is to it. Whining isn’t productive.

It’s like some of these people think that if they attack Schiano enough on this forum Hobbes is going to be suddenly convinced. We have what we have, just deal with it. If he doesn’t get it done, he’ll get fired. That’s all there really is to it. Whining isn’t productive.
Exactly. Not sure what those folks think they're going to accomplish w/the incessant whining and complaining.

I guess it passes the time and they enjoy wallowing in angst.

As usual, Sam only tells part of the story. The truth is, Ohio States defense was hit hard by graduation and players lost to the draft prior to Schiano's last year. In fact, he had a stellar defense two of the three years he spent there. Year 3, Ohio State lost their best player, Nick Bosa to injury.

Its good to see Sam can google. I can google too.

In Schiano's three seasons as defensive coordinator with the Buckeyes, eleven defensive players were drafted to the NFL, including five first round picks (Lattimore, Hooker, Conley) and two top five selections (Ward and Bosa). Former Browns interim head coach and defensive coordinator Greg Williams credited Schiano with cornerback Denzel Ward's early development. "He (Ward) came here and has already shown some people—I think (Ohio State associate head coach/defensive coordinator) Greg Schiano did a great job of teaching some of those things there. He has been an example from Day 1 on how to play the ball in the air in man to man, and it has kind of bled to the group. I think Denzel set that example pretty well back in the spring. He still does a pretty good job of playing the ball. He has a very natural way of doing that."[20]

let’s interject some reality into the Rutgers football discussion, like him or not Schiano inherited a glorified H.S . roster, he didn’t help himself with his first staff. Program strength is an important aspect of recruiting 4’s and 5’s are not flocking to the worst program in the league, all the coach can do is recruit his butt off and develop the three stars you get, that will take time no matter how you cut it. Schiano tried to short circuit the process with Hoffman and Nunz neither one of them delivered top end talent, and bottom line you got HS coaches without the necessary bodies. Along comes NIL and now you need to figure out a way to fund it. Hasn’t happened at Rutgers not sure it ever will, or NIL rules could change again.
Bottom line lots and lots of factors, one man is not likely to to lift a decimated program in a couple of years without all the necessary pieces magically falling into place. You can blame Schiano but without a massive effort and a ton of funding nobody is going to come here and walk on water.

As usual, Sam only tells part of the story. The truth is, Ohio States defense was hit hard by graduation and players lost to the draft prior to Schiano's last year. In fact, he had a stellar defense two of the three years he spent there. Year 3, Ohio State lost their best player, Nick Bosa to injury.

Its good to see Sam can google. I can google too.

In Schiano's three seasons as defensive coordinator with the Buckeyes, eleven defensive players were drafted to the NFL, including five first round picks (Lattimore, Hooker, Conley) and two top five selections (Ward and Bosa). Former Browns interim head coach and defensive coordinator Greg Williams credited Schiano with cornerback Denzel Ward's early development. "He (Ward) came here and has already shown some people—I think (Ohio State associate head coach/defensive coordinator) Greg Schiano did a great job of teaching some of those things there. He has been an example from Day 1 on how to play the ball in the air in man to man, and it has kind of bled to the group. I think Denzel set that example pretty well back in the spring. He still does a pretty good job of playing the ball. He has a very natural way of doing that."[20]

I’m sorry, but Ohio State loses lots of players to the draft every year.

The something that , as you say , happened was gleeson and his weird handling of the plays and personnel . For those that know Schiano it was just too much to let him continue on and had to cut him in season which he never does. Schiano tried the shiny new wave toy in gleeson and it backfired.
No Schiano needed a sacrificial lamb to take the heat off him and Hobbs for his inept coaching . They gave the fan base Gleason which bought them this season and probably next year. Give it until about week 4 or 5 when Schiano, in a presser after a loss praises his offense. He will tell us there young but he can see the changes making big strides. He will say we have to believe and keep chopping. He fired Gleason to buy himself time. His defense is embarrassing and his offense is bottom 5 in the country.

Reactions: Shelby65
It means we’ll be competing for real. You add no value whatsoever. Just STFU and sit down.
No Schiano needed a sacrificial lamb to take the heat off him and Hobbs for his inept coaching . They gave the fan base Gleason which bought them this season and probably next year. Give it until about week 4 or 5 when Schiano, in a presser after a loss praises his offense. He will tell us there young but he can see the changes making big strides. He will say we have to believe and keep chopping. He fired Gleason to buy himself time. His defense is embarrassing and his offense is bottom 5 in the country.
And the praise will be “we’re getting better at not turning the ball over, which kills you. That’s how we measure progress, instead of wins and losses.”

And the praise will be “we’re getting better at not turning the ball over, which kills you. That’s how we measure progress, instead of wins and losses.”
The progress began last year with the stellar performance and product Greg put on the field. The progress to him being gone.

So after appearing in 12 games you've concluded that Gavin is a bust??? Don't even want to see what he can do over a healthy full season???
I concluded he doesn’t have the makings of a solid college QB, yes. Plenty of freshmen QBs impress every year, including mid-major recruits with even less surrounding talent. Either you have the talent to produce right out the gate or you don’t.

I concluded he doesn’t have the makings of a solid college QB, yes. Plenty of freshmen QBs impress every year, including mid-major recruits with even less surrounding talent. Either you have the talent to produce right out the gate or you don’t.
So you think that he has no chance of improvement??? The kid played last year without having the ability to use one of his major weapons, his legs. So in your opinion RU should move on from Gavin and it would be a waste of a year to have him be the QB since you've concluded that "he doesn't have the makings of a solid college QB"?

We all have opinions. I foresee marginal improvement, and without other FBS QB talent he should be the starter. There’s no one to ‘move on’ to. 2.0 will redshirt Sheppard to milk more delay of fan expectations.

This opinion is more credible than grassy knoll nonsense.

We all have opinions. I foresee marginal improvement, and without other FBS QB talent he should be the starter. There’s no one to ‘move on’ to. 2.0 will redshirt Sheppard to milk more delay of fan expectations.

Your opinion

Reactions: Shelby65
Ah that’s a NO dog , but continue on with your own little narrative .

Seems as though three years in with the 4th yr on the way do we finally have a big 10 coaching staff? There’s not much left on the original staff, the north Jersey hs guys ( Nunz and Hoffman) were seemingly a bust from both a recruiting and coaching standpoint, Fran Brown was a top 10 national recruiter but the secondary’s performance was lousy and virtually the whole original staff has been turned over, will be interesting to see where the skill and performance level ends up. We obviously still don’t have enough talent to deal with the premier teams in the east, can we finally make a move annd be competitive against the middle of the road teams teams in the Big Ten East and west.
How did I miss this thread that is almost a week old? Some of the posts here are pure gold.

As usual Plum nails it again!

Exactly. Not sure what those folks think they're going to accomplish w/the incessant whining and complaining.

I guess it passes the time and they enjoy wallowing in angst.

Pretty much every RU Football thread devolves into a Schiano sucks pissing match ...... generally initiated by the same posters. I browse this board quickly maybe once daily or when I'm on the sh!tter (like I am now LOL) to see if there is any interesting or worthwhile OT threads to contribute to .....then move on. Just not worth much more of my time anymore. Basketball board is more interesting TBH because most of the "Pike sucks" clutter is gone for now.

After seeing the play of Wimsatt and Simon last year, Schiano should have gone to the portal and brought in a real QB. This season’s results are on him when we go 2-10 and score less than 13 pts per game

The Schiano apologists are out in full force again, using every excuse possible to justify his ongoing, decades-long incompetence. They're not Rutgers fans - for whatever contrived reason, they're simply Schiano fans.

At Ohio State, Schiano had 5 stars everywhere yet still fielded one of the worst defenses in that program's recent history, thereby refuting this bunk NIL excuse. He then got fired at OSU and wasn't even considered for their head coaching job. He was also fired in Tampa, after an embarrassing stint in the NFL. He was never seriously reconsidered as an NFL head coach.

And in year 3 at Rutgers, his teams are still getting blasted by supposed near-peer programs like Maryland, at home. And yet this is someone who our more delusional fans think will resurrect this program. It's humorous at this point.

Schiano doesn't even have the temperament to field tough questions in his press conferences after all of his losing. He's quick to anger and intimidates the media by questioning their knowledge of the game whenever they ask why he loses so frequently, despite being an abysmal head coach for nearly a generation. Only at Rutgers does someone with his resume get rewarded with a massive contract and undeserved praise from the fanbase.

In Schiano's three seasons as defensive coordinator with the Buckeyes, eleven defensive players were drafted to the NFL, including five first round picks (Lattimore, Hooker, Conley) and two top five selections (Ward and Bosa).

He was named 247Sports Recruiter of the Year in 2018

In Greg’s 3 years as D-Coordinator, Ohio State went:

11-2
12-2
13-1

Stop spreading lies

Reactions: RUbacker
In Schiano's three seasons as defensive coordinator with the Buckeyes, eleven defensive players were drafted to the NFL, including five first round picks (Lattimore, Hooker, Conley) and two top five selections (Ward and Bosa).

He was named 247Sports Recruiter of the Year in 2018

In Greg’s 3 years as D-Coordinator, Ohio State went:

11-2
12-2
13-1

Stop spreading lies

Maybe he is. Maybe he's not. Would be better for all of us if he gets it together. But if not, we will start over with the next guy.

The thing I keep reminding people of, and nobody ever listens, is that the next guy is likely to repeat the performance of the prior 3, although the east/west change could make things easier.

Yes, the next guy up always worked well for basketball

After seeing the play of Wimsatt and Simon last year, Schiano should have gone to the portal and brought in a real QB. This season’s results are on him when we go 2-10 and score less than 13 pts per game
Why stop there? I mean, he should also have won all 12 games last season, produced the top recruiting class in the nation for 2023, and initiated a fan-NIL deal that gives every fan on TKR all one million dollars.

It's like he's not even trying.

Why stop there? I mean, he should also have won all 12 games last season, produced the top recruiting class in the nation for 2023, and initiated a fan-NIL deal that gives every fan on TKR all one million dollars.

It's like he's not even trying.
Or just show ONE sign of Hope or progress. At least do not get embarrassed this year. Will take that

Or just show ONE sign of Hope or progress. At least do not get embarrassed this year. Will take that
I don't get too high or low about this stuff. Because I understand that the job is gargantuan. And while someone will eventually have some success at RUFB, perhaps even GS if we're lucky, the odds are against ANY coach, GS or whomever we hire to replace him, of being that someone.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's much more likely to take more time than not, regardless of who the coach is. GS might not be the guy and so far he's not looking great. But the next guy might also not be the guy and then we'll be stuck with him for a handful or years or more.

So I'm just going to root for whomever our coach is. Right up until someone new get hired and then I'll root for that guy instead. Because what's the point in me doing anything else?

I have no say in who the coach is. I'm just a fan. My job is to cheer for the team. I'm not paid to agonize over it the way the AD is. I have my own shit to agonize over.

I don't get too high or low about this stuff. Because I understand that the job is gargantuan. And while someone will eventually have some success at RUFB, perhaps even GS if we're lucky, the odds are against ANY coach, GS or whomever we hire to replace him, of being that someone.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's much more likely to take more time than not, regardless of who the coach is. GS might not be the guy and so far he's not looking great. But the next guy might also not be the guy and then we'll be stuck with him for a handful or years or more.

So I'm just going to root for whomever our coach is. Right up until someone new get hired and then I'll root for that guy instead. Because what's the point in me doing anything else?

I have no say in who the coach is. I'm just a fan. My job is to cheer for the team. I'm not paid to agonize over it the way the AD is. I have my own shit to agonize over.
Lance Leipold would have worked here instead of Greg2. Think about what scoring TD’s on offense would be like for RU fans.

Hobbs could have had him.

And possibly milk it even further with QB Surface next season as he redshirts … ‘hope is down the road’.
Delay fan’s expectations even further while 2.0 negotiates his contract renewal ????

Lance Leipold would have worked here instead of Greg2. Think about what scoring TD’s on offense would be like for RU fans.

Hobbs could have had him.
It's pure speculation to say what might've happened with other coaches. Success in sports has proven to be pretty situational no matter how great a coach might seem. It's impossible to say that any other coach would succeed here no matter what success they've had elsewhere.

Maybe, if GS gets fired, we'll hire LL and then we can find out.

I don't spend much time speculating about that stuff. I just root for the team. I know, I'm lame. 😀

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT