ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Gooden (Yes, related) Official Visit June 10-12

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004

Has since received offers from Rutgers and Southern Cal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. His success and maybe Doc hanging around during it would really help Rutgers support in NYC.
Not so sure he talks to his father. Could be wrong tho. My good friend lived next to doc in Jersey city few years back and we socialized with him here and there. Never even mentioned kids

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Not so sure he talks to his father. Could be wrong tho. My good friend lived next to doc in Jersey city few years back and we socialized with him here and there. Never even mentioned kids

Well even if so. A player with the name of Gooden playing at RU getting media exposure in NYC can't hurt.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
For a minute I thought he is related to Heaven ( maybe Heaven is Doc? - wouldn’t be the only former big league here if he is)

Doc lives in Piscataway. I see the son is out of Maryland?

My two favorite players of my teenage years. Loved Straw's sweet swing, and Doc was so fun to watch when he was at the top of his game.
I faced him in 84, Doc had that hop on his fastball above the belt very few pitchers in history had.
Jim Palmer in his prime lived high in the strike zone is one of the only other pitchers I remember who could do it

I faced him in 84, Doc had that hop on his fastball above the belt very few pitchers in history had.
Jim Palmer in his prime lived high in the strike zone is one of the only other pitchers I remember who could do it
How did he compare to Seaver? Though, it doesn't look like you faced the "Met's" Seaver in his prime. Though, I am sure you had the chance to see his stuff first hand.

I happened to be at Gooden's 1 hitter against the Cubs late 1984...up until 2006 RU/L'Ville game- it was the loudest game of any sport I had ever been at. By the time we were up 7-0, none of us even wanted us to get another hit and only wanted to watch this kid pitch. I was in the mezzanine over 1B and you just felt the stadium shake on every strike Doc threw. Straw also parked a HR late in that game as well.

It is a shame what Doc and Straw did to their careers- both were generational type players and Doc may have ended up the best ever, if not, top 5. And his curve seemed more deadly then his fastball

How did he compare to Seaver? Though, it doesn't look like you faced the "Met's" Seaver in his prime. Though, I am sure you had the chance to see his stuff first hand.

I happened to be at Gooden's 1 hitter against the Cubs late 1984...up until 2006 RU/L'Ville game- it was the loudest game of any sport I had ever been at. By the time we were up 7-0, none of us even wanted us to get another hit and only wanted to watch this kid pitch. I was in the mezzanine over 1B and you just felt the stadium shake on every strike Doc threw. Straw also parked a HR late in that game as well.

It is a shame what Doc and Straw did to their careers- both were generational type players and Doc may have ended up the best ever, if not, top 5. And his curve seemed more deadly then his fastball
99% of the greatest pitchers in history lived down in the strike zone.
Seaver was the best knee high pitcher in baseball during his prime, yes I faced a tired Seaver,
Tom had the ability to climb the ladder on you, buy it was all set up by that gas at the knees and slider at the shoe tops.
The hardest throwers I faced Lee Smith, Nolan, Carlton, JR Richard, Bob Welsh....just to name a few were all more effective down low.
I do remember my dad telling me Bob Feller could throw the ball right past you up in the zone

99% of the greatest pitchers in history lived down in the strike zone.
Seaver was the best knee high pitcher in baseball during his prime, yes I faced a tired Seaver,
Tom had the ability to climb the ladder on you, buy it was all set up by that gas at the knees and slider at the shoe tops.
The hardest throwers I faced Lee Smith, Nolan, Carlton, JR Richard, Bob Welsh....just to name a few were all more effective down low.
I do remember my dad telling me Bob Feller could throw the ball right past you up in the zone
Good stuff Zappa. I am sure you answered this before , what did you think of the decision to pitch Seaver game 6 in 1973? He really would have been the ace in the hole, but I don’t think the options for game 6 were that good . I believe the thinking was have two solid starters going in 6 and 7? The crazy thing is the Mets lost both games Seaver started in that series.
McKeon did a similar thing with Beckett in 2003 and that worked out.

Good stuff Zappa. I am sure you answered this before , what did you think of the decision to pitch Seaver game 6 in 1973? He really would have been the ace in the hole, but I don’t think the options for game 6 were that good . I believe the thinking was have two solid starters going in 6 and 7? The crazy thing is the Mets lost both games Seaver started in that series.
McKeon did a similar thing with Beckett in 2003 and that worked out.
Should have started George Stone in game 6 and gave Seaver an extra days rest for game 7.
Stone was 12-3 and won his last 5 starts, yet didn’t get a WS start.
That decision was not solely come to by my dad, he trusted Rube Walker and somehow they decided to do what they did.
My dad took that to his grave

Last I knew he lived off of Stelton Road on a side street somewhere between Stelton Pizza and McDonalds
I ran into Doc at the Wawa on Stelton a couple of years ago. He was super nice. I was in high school in 84 and it was amazing to watch him take the hill every 5th day for my Mets. After years of living in the shadow of that other team, we had the most exciting player in the game on our side.

Should have started George Stone in game 6 and gave Seaver an extra days rest for game 7.
Stone was 12-3 and won his last 5 starts, yet didn’t get a WS start.
That decision was not solely come to by my dad, he trusted Rube Walker and somehow they decided to do what they did.
My dad took that to his grave
That Oakland team was absolutely loaded. And they beat the great Reds team in the playoffs. Huge accomplishment to have come so close. Someone was making a lot of good decisions. I would have loved for the Mets to have won the championship, and they came really really close to doing it.

Reactions: zappaa
Doc Gooden is one of the nicest and gentle people on the planet.
All of his issues and problems are heartbreaking to anyone who knows him, especially Straw
Hey zap not to derail thread in the least...but a few weeks back I stumbled across a pick of Dave Parker and a couple other pirates in between games of DH blowing bones in the dugout. Did that really happen that in the open?

f543b4_7549293e56264782b5c22584f9f08f69~mv2.jpg

Absolutely NOT.
That’s spring training, and they’re smoking cigarettes.
No one ever smoked a joint openly.
#23 is Grant Jackson, when he was a Yankee he lived in Montclair.
Won’t deny Parkway did get tremendous weed…lol

Reactions: BillyC80

Absolutely NOT.

@zappaa , $5 if you can identify the elbow on the left and the knee on the right.

Absolutely NOT.
Yeah that was the picture. Sure looked like joints to me but didnt blow the picture up. LOL we did my senior yr of HS after the Pirates hats...stars and all the stickers kept coming off
You could tell the weed smokee glassy bloodshot eyes

Yeah that was the picture. Sure looked like joints to me but didnt blow the picture up. LOL we did my senior yr of HS after the Pirates hats...stars and all the stickers kept coming off
You could tell the weed smokee glassy bloodshot eyes
It's funny- the two players that had always stuck in my head with that hat were Stargell and our own Dale Berra.

Reactions: greenknight
Not gonna lie hated those hats in HS. I like to flip the lid and pull hat tight against my head. Hated the aircraft carrier flat top. I had a fairly small head and the hat looked stupid on me. Also I always wore my hat under helmet and couldnt do it with that hat

I still recall what Tim McCarver called Gooden's curve - "the yacker". You'd swear that ball came from another time zone to cross the plate. Batters were helpless when the yacker was paired with the rising fastball.

As physically gifted as Doc was, he was just a kid on the biggest stage on the planet. Look at the videos from back then and tell me he wasn't just a kid. No one to guide him and no one who could resonate to tell him "no". Hopefully his kids don't fall down the same hole.

I still recall what Tim McCarver called Gooden's curve - "the yacker". You'd swear that ball came from another time zone to cross the plate. Batters were helpless when the yacker was paired with the rising fastball.

As physically gifted as Doc was, he was just a kid on the biggest stage on the planet. Look at the videos from back then and tell me he wasn't just a kid. No one to guide him and no one who could resonate to tell him "no". Hopefully his kids don't fall down the same hole.
Ryan threw harder than Doc, and his mistake pitch and pretty much the only pitch you could hit off of him was his fastball up in the zone.
I’m being honest, Ryan’s knee high fastball away from the right hand hitter was unhittable.
Docs hop ball up and his yacker down was ridiculous

Obviously we studied the opposing starters, if Ryan pitched a complete game shutout his last outing and 130 pitches, we knew we had a chance we’d see some fastballs up in the zone to hit.
If Nolan was knocked out early in the game previous or only pitched 5 or 6 innings, (rare)….lookout, we knew it was gonna be a long day facing him rested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT