ADVERTISEMENT

Enough about coaches...What 10 Grapplers will represent The State University of New Jersey next season

My apologies. As I stated I saw a tweet. And then came on to ask a question as I hadn’t seen any stories released yet. Health and family are two of the most important things and no one should ever fault a person for making those a priority
Understood. It's quite possible I tipped back a few that night when I responded and didn't realize the "?" in your response. Either way, no harm and no hard feelings.

Reactions: UnderHooks
I hope we break through with 4-5 AAs, so we can stop hearing the noise. Peterson, Shawver, Poz, Yara, and 1 more.
Hmm looking at Flo’s preseason rankings(they didn’t rank fr but Lilledhal apparently will be a factor). Peterson is ranked 12th.. but scrolling through the top 20 anyone can beat anyone it seems…fun weight.

Poz was r12 but some reason is ranked 16th preseason(no fr ranked also). Top guys will be Cstar, Buchanan, Cardenas, Elam, Salazar, Little, Alredd, Beard.. won’t be ez to AA this weight..

I guess next likely guy to AA would be Turley and he’s ranked 14th.. top guys would be Otoole, Haines, Welsh, Hamiti, Devos , Arnold…this weight is top heavy n a bad seed draw would be night night probably..

Idk 4-5 AA I don’t see it.. we would need guys to make Shawver like lvl jumps..

Hmm looking at Flo’s preseason rankings(they didn’t rank fr but Lilledhal apparently will be a factor). Peterson is ranked 12th.. but scrolling through the top 20 anyone can beat anyone it seems…fun weight.

Poz was r12 but some reason is ranked 16th preseason(no fr ranked also). Top guys will be Cstar, Buchanan, Cardenas, Elam, Salazar, Little, Alredd, Beard.. won’t be ez to AA this weight..

I guess next likely guy to AA would be Turley and he’s ranked 14th.. top guys would be Otoole, Haines, Welsh, Hamiti, Devos , Arnold…this weight is top heavy n a bad seed draw would be night night probably..

Idk 4-5 AA I don’t see it.. we would need guys to make Shawver like lvl jumps..
I would put the over/under for Rutgers AAs this season at 1.5.

Last edited:
Sounds about right, i'd say 2.
I was about to say I don’t think both Shawver and Yara repeat AA is a lock.. maybe individually each is a fav to AA but for both again it might be closer to 50/50..

Think about it the years after Poz and Turley got their first AA every RU fan is penciling them next year to be a “gtd” AA or maybe even a NC but you never know what can happen.. inj, mental, regression, burnout, incoming fresh, weight issues etc.. it’s not just RU but any wrestler not contending for NC or a top podium spot, barring inj, isn’t a lock to AA again.. 4x AA is still a really good accomplishment imo..

Mb if I come off pessimistic but I like to view both side of the coin and am more of a realist preferring to focus on facts and data points.. we also had surprise AA like Turley, Perrotti, and Theobold so I can see the optimism. Maybe this will be our best squad ever and we can get 3-5AA but yeah we’ll see 🤞🤞

I was about to say I don’t think both Shawver and Yara repeat AA is a lock.. maybe individually each is a fav to AA but for both again it might be closer to 50/50..

Think about it the years after Poz and Turley got their first AA every RU fan is penciling them next year to be a “gtd” AA or maybe even a NC but you never know what can happen.. inj, mental, regression, burnout, incoming fresh, weight issues etc.. it’s not just RU but any wrestler not contending for NC or a top podium spot, barring inj, isn’t a lock to AA again.. 4x AA is still a really good accomplishment imo..

Mb if I come off pessimistic but I like to view both side of the coin and am more of a realist preferring to focus on facts and data points.. we also had surprise AA like Turley, Perrotti, and Theobold so I can see the optimism. Maybe this will be our best squad ever and we can get 3-5AA but yeah we’ll see 🤞🤞
Poz and Turley both AA’d in a year where no Ivy League athletes participated and a number of studs were on Olympic redshirt. Combine that with the fact that it was a free year and nobody in the country had to leave the field because of eligibility requirements and you’re left with a much deeper field the following year. It was always going to be harder repeat the AA status from that season

Not that it will be easy for both Shawver and Yara but they’re not going to be fighting the same uphill battle that Poz and Turley did.

Poz and Turley both AA’d in a year where no Ivy League athletes participated and a number of studs were on Olympic redshirt. Combine that with the fact that it was a free year and nobody in the country had to leave the field because of eligibility requirements and you’re left with a much deeper field the following year. It was always going to be harder repeat the AA status from that season

Not that it will be easy for both Shawver and Yara but they’re not going to be fighting the same uphill battle that Poz and Turley did.
Good point about Poz covid/ivy year.. I thought Turley AA in a normal year but wit a insane backside run.. I remember him being around ranked 6 or 7 in the preseason polls the following year…. Point still remains the same as in RU fans penciled them both in as locks to AA the following year.. some even calling Poz a NC contender..

Good point about Poz covid/ivy year.. I thought Turley AA in a normal year but wit a insane backside run.. I remember him being around ranked 6 or 7 in the preseason polls the following year…. Point still remains the same as in RU fans penciled them both in as locks to AA the following year.. some even calling Poz a NC contender..
I don’t think anyone penciled Turley in. Every acknowledged the talent he has but it was always going to be tough for a guy who’s been consistently ranked in the 20-25 range most of his career and simply caught fire for one weekend.

Poz was a NC contender at the time. He took 4th as a true freshman and wrestled Keckeisen, who just won a title, extremely tight. Circumstances have changed including some burnout, mental fatigue and a bump up in weights but he’s still good enough to be an AA candidate.

I don’t think anyone penciled Turley in. Every acknowledged the talent he has but it was always going to be tough for a guy who’s been consistently ranked in the 20-25 range most of his career and simply caught fire for one weekend.

Poz was a NC contender at the time. He took 4th as a true freshman and wrestled Keckeisen, who just won a title, extremely tight. Circumstances have changed including some burnout, mental fatigue and a bump up in weights but he’s still good enough to be an AA candidate.
Turley was ranked 6 or 7th preseason following the year he AA..

Turley was ranked 6 or 7th preseason following the year he AA..
Preseason rankings are usually just a recollection of the previous years AA’s. Personally I thought a repeat performance was possible but I would hardly call that penciling it in.

Reactions: obrats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT