ADVERTISEMENT

Enough with Moorhead - A DISASTER at Miss St. So far

He beat the same #8 ranked team last year. Why count this year but not last year?
Fair point, but he is wildly inconsistent. If you watched Saturday's debacle against Auburn, you would be hard pressed to see anything positive.

I think it goes beyond just one game. Many MSU fans are less than convinced he is the right coach for them. It feels like he was really overrated, and now that is becoming apparent.

But, to the central point, even if Schiano and Moorhead were equally inconsistent and average coaches, Schiano would get the edge right now because of what he brings to the table. How many HS players would get excited that Moorhead is in town? Not too many. How many season tickets would be sold because of his name? Not too many.
Schiano ,on the other hand, brings a buzz and excitement that few others would be able to do. He is the best option for Rutgers right now.
I wouldn’t take what any SEC fan base thinks as reflecting reality. The Tennessee Schiano debacle should have taught you that.

Moorhead is much better than equal to Schiano as a coach. Schiano brings more buzz as you said.

I was actually okay if we ended up with a Schiano hire after due diligence is completed to see what is out there. Idiotic posters like SCILS02 who make things up about other coaches because they want Schiano hired yesterday, without doing a search, have driven me to post more negative things about Schiano than I actually feel.

I wouldn’t take what any SEC fan base thinks as reflecting reality. The Tennessee Schiano debacle should have taught you that.

Moorhead is much better than equal to Schiano as a coach. Schiano brings more buzz as you said.

I was actually okay if we ended up with a Schiano hire after due diligence is completed to see what is out there. Idiotic posters like SCILS02 who make things up about other coaches because they want Schiano hired yesterday, without doing a search, have driven me to post more negative things about Schiano than I actually feel.

LOL! Making things up? Please Krupy, watch Miss St. for the rest of the year and let me know about Moorhead then. I'm saving this post so you look like even more of a fool after the season.

We know Moorhead’s 2018 season was better than anything Schiano ever did as a head coach, because Miss St didn’t have the inexplicable losses to an unranked team that Schiano had at least once a year.

LOL! Making things up? Please Krupy, watch Miss St. for the rest of the year and let me know about Moorhead then. I'm saving this post so you look like even more of a fool after the season.
You pulled the accusation I was an Ash defender out of your ass because that never happened.

You also completely made up that Mullen left Moorhead a “stacked” team.

"He's (Moorhead) meant to be a coordinator."

Schiano is meant to be a coordinator!

Schiano at Rutgers:

68-69 overall
28-48 in Big East Conference
During the last 4 seasons he was hanging around Piscataway RU's Big East Conference record was 13-15
0-11
vs. West Virginia
The king of soft and easy OOC schedules.
Played only 8 BCS opponents some seasons. Typically, he (RU) scheduled one OOC opponent of medium difficulty and four cupcakes.
As a head coach in the B1G he possibly could not handle a B1G schedule plus a BCS OOC opponent every year.
ACC raided the Big East Conference and took Miami, VT and BC.
Schiano never won a conference championship and never went to a BCS Bowl Game in 11 years (UConn did).
I read that of Schiano's OOC wins at RU 30 were against non-BCS teams and none of his OOC wins came against a team ranked in the Top 25.

Schiano at Tampa Bay:

Failure, fired.
You make this sound like it’s a bad thing.

/s

watch Miss St. for the rest of the year and let me know about Moorhead then.
At the end of the season, I might think Moorhead is worse. Or I might think he is better.

But since Hobbs doesn't expect to name a new coach until the end of the season, he can take this year's results into account.

Can't wait for all these Moorhead lovers to post after he finishes an awful year and likely loses to a horrific Tenn team in two weeks.

I’m reading a bunch posts and not one of them mentions the unique challenges of NJ and the state of Rutgers.
I’m reading about random loses from 2011 and giving up 51 point to Maryland.

Why am I not reading about the challenges of transforming a dead lifeless football team and program building?

Can't wait for all these Moorhead lovers to post after he finishes an awful year and likely loses to a horrific Tenn team in two weeks.
or when hes fired at seasons end.

I’m reading a bunch posts and not one of them mentions the unique challenges of NJ and the state of Rutgers.

Why am I not reading about the challenges of transforming a dead lifeless football team and program building?
I don't mention it because I assume everyone knows it and it is the main positive in Schiano's column. The argument is over whether, since we have more resources than we did last time he was here, that is enough to make him the hire considering that there are numerous better gameday football coaches out there.

or when hes fired at seasons end.
Yeah, here's an article where the intelligent Miss State fans call for Moorhead's firing after the bad Auburn loss.

Oh wait, it is actually an article after a bad Auburn loss where a Miss St board was saying Dan Mullen sucked and should be fired. Meanwhile, Mullen was able to upgrade to a better job only months later and currently has his team ranked in the top 10 playing with a backup QB.

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/10/08/open-letter-msu-fire-dan-mullen/

Let's stop acting like the people in Starkville are any more rational than the people in Knoxville. You just hear about it less because they are a tinier market.

Great point. That is a big plus for Schiano at Rutgers. But that only lasts if he wins. Winning is the only thing that will transform this program. Schiano is #2 for me. I will be happy if he is the guy because I know that he can will things to work. If the money is there, I think Hobbs needs to consider current successful P5 coaches. If Moorhead wants it and sells the right vision, I'm picking him.

Yeah, here's an article where the intelligent Miss State fans call for Moorhead's firing after the bad Auburn loss.

Oh wait, it is actually an article after a bad Auburn loss where a Miss St board was saying Dan Mullen sucked and should be fired. Meanwhile, Mullen was able to upgrade to a better job only months later and currently has his team ranked in the top 10 playing with a backup QB.

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/10/08/open-letter-msu-fire-dan-mullen/

Let's stop acting like the people in Starkville are any more rational than the people in Knoxville. You just hear about it less because they are a tinier market.
I think SCILS is over the top with the "disaster" stuff but the overall point isn't terrible. It looks like Moorhead has done OK so far so I could see some fans being mad at him (fans being fans).

For background, I started looking at some previews of the 2018 MS State team (Athlons etc). Mullen had taken them to 8 straight bowl games (no small feat in that division). The D was stacked with what turned out to be 3 first rounders and a second rounder.

It looks like the preseason consensus was 8 wins with a chance for 10. So this was definitely considered a "good" MS St team. Moorhead delivered 8 with a bowl loss to Iowa. So he did OK but the real question is what happens this year and years 3, 4 etc.

I think SCILS is over the top with the "disaster" stuff but the overall point isn't terrible. It looks like Moorhead has done OK so far so I could see some fans being mad at him (fans being fans).

For background, I started looking at some previews of the 2018 MS State team (Athlons etc). Mullen had taken them to 8 straight bowl games (no small feat in that division). The D was stacked with what turned out to be 3 first rounders and a second rounder.

It looks like the preseason consensus was 8 wins with a chance for 10. So this was definitely considered a "good" MS St team. Moorhead delivered 8 with a bowl loss to Iowa. So he did OK but the real question is what happens this year and years 3, 4 etc.
They played FIVE teams ranked in the top 12. Anyone thinking they had a chance at 10 wins was being unrealistic.

Even saying the floor was 8 wins is a stretch when you are playing five top 12 teams and your recruiting has barely been in the top 30.

We know Moorhead’s 2018 season was better than anything Schiano ever did as a head coach, because Miss St didn’t have the inexplicable losses to an unranked team that Schiano had at least once a year.

That may be the dumbest thing that I've ever seen written on this site, which is saying a lot. It is inexplicable for Rutgers, of all schools, to lose to an unranked team? Step away, you are not creditable. Every college team has weeks where they don't play their best. The top schools are just so loaded, they win anyway. It seems that you don't understand sports in general and college football in particular.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy

I've got Schiano as my top candidate, but Moorhead definitely intrigues me.

I'd want to know how familiar Moorhead is with Rutgers and its unique challenges, particularly with respect to recruiting in-state.

That's something Ash completely underestimated. He thought he could just come in here, show kids his resume, and clean up.

Right now, there's no alignment between high schools and Rutgers. Those programs want to send their best kids to "name" programs while being able to tell parents of fringe D1 players "Hey, look how I got Bobby and Chris to Rutgers."

Schiano intimately understands this challenge and has been successful in overcoming it in the past by not selling "Rutgers" but by selling himself.

That's what makes him a special candidate, regardless of any other metric.

That may be the dumbest thing that I've ever seen written on this site, which is saying a lot. It is inexplicable for Rutgers, of all schools, to lose to an unranked team? Step away, you are not creditable. Every college team has weeks where they don't play their best. The top schools are just so loaded, they win anyway. It seems that you don't understand sports in general and college football in particular.
It is inexplicable to lose to a bad (6-7) Maryland team at home when you are ranked #10. It is inexlicable to lose to a 4-8 Syracuse team when you are ranked #25. It is inexplicable to lose to a 4-8 Tulane team at home. It is inexplicable to lose 40-22 to a 5-7 UConn team when you are fighting for a share of the conference title. Etc.

If you don't want to admit that even while he was still at RU, that a knock on Schiano was the penchant for having periodic bad losses to a much inferior team, you are just using revisionist history.

It is inexplicable to lose to a bad (6-7) Maryland team at home when you are ranked #10. It is inexlicable to lose to a 4-8 Syracuse team when you are ranked #25. It is inexplicable to lose to a 4-8 Tulane team at home. It is inexplicable to lose 40-22 to a 5-7 UConn team when you are fighting for a share of the conference title. Etc.

If you don't want to admit that even while he was still at RU, that a knock on Schiano was the penchant for having periodic bad losses to a much inferior team, you are just using revisionist history.

Greg had a VERY bad habit of losing to teams he should’ve beaten AND typically when it really hurt (see: Cinci ‘06 as well).

I'd want to know how familiar Moorhead is with Rutgers and its unique challenges, particularly with respect to recruiting in-state.

That's something Ash completely underestimated. He thought he could just come in here, show kids his resume, and clean up.

Right now, there's no alignment between high schools and Rutgers. Those programs want to send their best kids to "name" programs while being able to tell parents of fringe D1 players "Hey, look how I got Bobby and Chris to Rutgers."

Schiano intimately understands this challenge and has been successful in overcoming it in the past by not selling "Rutgers" but by selling himself.

i don't know enough about Moorhead's personality to know whether he would be a good recruiter for RU or not, and that could be a deal breaker (I wouldn't use his Miss St top 25 recruiting as evidence because that is a different situation completely).

It is just that a lot of people think he bears investigating because he is an experienced good coach who has coached in the Northeast (so he wouldn't be lost in this environment as Ash seemed to be).

thoughts

as I said on the premium board, you can look at any coaches record and usually find a WTF game or games.....that does not resolve anything

Greg would generate the best starting buzz, Butch Jones a close second.....Moorehead would not nearly cause a stir, even though he is a SEC coach...

we will never know which will be the best coach for us, because you hire one of them, and then never know what would have happened if it had gone another way......the only thing we can say is, if the new coach gets us something like 8 wins right away, we made a very GOOD choice, but not necessarily the best in the long run

if whoever we pick does poorly, we won't know if the other guy would have done better, but many will claim that as fact

I think it winds up being Greg, despite the pleas of some wanting Moorehead......the big donors probably want Greg, and some speculate it is already a done deal, because Greg left his last position

no one learned from the last time. Everyone threw out their wish list and ended up with Ash. I would be happy with anyone mentioned on the wish list. We can only be so lucky. No more surprises please.

Reactions: rutgersal
thoughts

as I said on the premium board, you can look at any coaches record and usually find a WTF game or games.....that does not resolve anything

Greg would generate the best starting buzz, Butch Jones a close second.....Moorehead would not nearly cause a stir, even though he is a SEC coach...

we will never know which will be the best coach for us, because you hire one of them, and then never know what would have happened if it had gone another way......the only thing we can say is, if the new coach gets us something like 8 wins right away, we made a very GOOD choice, but not necessarily the best in the long run

if whoever we pick does poorly, we won't know if the other guy would have done better, but many will claim that as fact

I think it winds up being Greg, despite the pleas of some wanting Moorehead......the big donors probably want Greg, and some speculate it is already a done deal, because Greg left his last position
The last part is the only part that bothers me.

Rutgers should be doing their due diligence on multiple candidates. If, after that, they decide that on balance we should hire Schiano, great.

If there is a prearranged “done deal” to rehire Schiano and RU isn’t even really looking to see what other options are out there, then they are idiots.

Reactions: wheezer
I think it goes beyond just one game. Many MSU fans are less than convinced he is the right coach for them. It feels like he was really overrated, and now that is becoming apparent.

But, to the central point, even if Schiano and Moorhead were equally inconsistent and average coaches, Schiano would get the edge right now because of what he brings to the table. How many HS players would get excited that Moorhead is in town? Not too many. How many season tickets would be sold because of his name? Not too many.
Schiano ,on the other hand, brings a buzz and excitement that few others would be able to do. He is the best option for Rutgers right now.
Doubt current kid will get excited by the hiring of Schiano either. They have no memory of his previous stint

Reactions: PaKnight and mikeru

You are, Moorhead has done that. He's recruited the NJ schools that you need to recruit to be successful. He's very well respected by Nj coaches and he understands the importance of having a NJ staff. He has 6 guys from Miss. on his staff. I doubt he knew those guys prior to being hired.

Last edited:

This is so myopic. So Schinao will bring the initial buzz but about 2-3 years in? He has been chased out of town EVERYWHERE since RU.

The last part is the only part that bothers me.

Rutgers should be doing their due diligence on multiple candidates. If, after that, they decide that on balance we should hire Schiano, great.

If there is a prearranged “done deal” to rehire Schiano and RU isn’t even really looking to see what other options are out there, then they are idiots.

Understood. One of two things. Either it has not been determined yet and there is an actual search

Or, the are going through the motions of a search because they would have to either legally or for appearance

I think it winds up being Greg, despite the pleas of some wanting Moorehead......the big donors probably want Greg, and some speculate it is already a done deal, because Greg left his last position[/QUOTE]

Schiano quit the Pats job because his wife & daughter refused to move from Ohio, it had nothing to do with the RU job.

Could very well be but have seen others say otherwise

In response to "in state" recruiting. I'd argue Moorehead has been recruiting NJ longer than Schiano has. Between 2000-2017 he spent 15 years working at schools that consider NJ a primary area for them.
Georgetown
UCONN
Fordham
PSU
There isn't a NJ coach at a good football school who didn't know and respect him BEFORE he even went to PSU

Mullen seemed to be recruiting near the bottom of the SEC:

2014: 13/14 (avg. star rating 2.79)
2015: 7/14 (avg. star rating 3.14)
2016: 12/14 (avg. star rating 3.14)
2017: 11/14 (avg. star rating 3)
Average 6.6 wins per year over 9 years.

Recruiting seems to have gone up a tick under Moorhead
2018: 9/14 (avg. star rating 3.22)
2019: 11/14 (avg. star rating 3.33)
2020: 8/14 (avg. star rating 3.17)

Reactions: BLewis1968
ADVERTISEMENT