ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations

Feb 23, 2020
Man. I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up. Guys hosting Knightline saying if we are in Top 8 or 10 teams in Big Ten next year it'll be great growth for the team. Just said we should be over .500 this time next year. Lord Almighty. I thought next year we would be Top 10 team nationally! Now we are talking about being .500 overall???!!!

Man. I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up. Guys hosting Knightline saying if we are in Top 8 or 10 teams in Big Ten next year it'll be great growth for the team. Just said we should be over .500 this time next year. Lord Almighty. I thought next year we would be Top 10 team nationally! Now we are talking about being .500 overall???!!!
lol where are you gettng we should be anything next year besides a top half big 10 school that makes the ncaa

Reactions: darkcheck
I don't know what the correct expectations are, but I will say one thing: if they are materially different than they were 4 hours ago then you're an idiot.

I care. They host the Rutgers bball and football postgames and do a darn good job! But being .500 this time next year would be monumental disappointment
OK? Well that's not a thing that happened, it's a thing some people talked about on the radio, so maybe don't worry about it until it actually happens? You are free to have different expectations than the voices coming out of the talking box?

OK? Well that's not a thing that happened, it's a thing some people talked about on the radio, so maybe don't worry about it until it actually happens? You are free to have different expectations than the voices coming out of the talking box?
Sure hope they're wrong. I guess I should hold off pumping next year's RU basketball to my buds lol

Anyone who knows basketball knows it’s not just talent that succeeds. It’s Attitude and effort matter too. Offensive schemes matter. Use of ball movement, off ball screens, etc matter. It’s why anyone who has crazy expectations for next year are off. Two talented players should be on the floor for us. But you have to factor in the surrounding cast. You have to factor in substitution patterns this staff is famous for. You have to factor in that this staff has proven it can only get mid range or contested shots. That will impact any talent. To be a bubble team again next year will be an accomplishment. We’ve squandered the momentum of our ncaa teams with poor recruiting, development and coaching.

Anyone who knows basketball knows it’s not just talent that succeeds. It’s Attitude and effort matter too. Offensive schemes matter. Use of ball movement, off ball screens, etc matter. It’s why anyone who has crazy expectations for next year are off. Two talented players should be on the floor for us. But you have to factor in the surrounding cast. You have to factor in substitution patterns this staff is famous for. You have to factor in that this staff has proven it can only get mid range or contested shots. That will impact any talent. To be a bubble team again next year will be an accomplishment. We’ve squandered the momentum of our ncaa teams with poor recruiting, development and coaching.
Substitution patterns is the dumbest trope on this board. Though it's closely followed by the "squandered momentum" when we have a top 3 recruiting class coming in.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Substitution patterns is the dumbest trope on this board. Though it's closely followed by the "squandered momentum" when we have a top 3 recruiting class coming in.
You’re being foolish. Five minutes in tonight we put ten players on the floor. We’re not that deep. That’s one of many substitution errors this season and prior.

Also two good recruits in one class, only one of which is signed, is hardly momentum. I got news for you our classes of the last three years were lackluster, and that’s right after our ncaa success. Then when Ace and maybe Dylan are gone in one year where will we be? So maybe we get a bubble team year next year. If that’s momentum I wouldn’t want to see your lane definitions of words like success and quality.

You’re being foolish. Five minutes in tonight we put ten players on the floor. We’re not that deep. That’s one of many substitution errors this season and prior.
1. We are that "deep" though not for the reasons you would want to be.
2. The rest of the supposed "substitution errors" that people have been complaining about though the last 70 million coaching regimes are 98% nonesense.
Also two good recruits in one class, only one of which is signed, is hardly momentum. I got news for you our classes of the last three years were lackluster, and that’s right after our ncaa success. Then when Ace and maybe Dylan are gone in one year where will we be? So maybe we get a bubble team year next year. If that’s momentum I wouldn’t want to see your lane definitions of words like success and quality.
It's kind of hard to ask for better than the incoming recruiting class.

2. The rest of the supposed "substitution errors" that people have been complaining about though the last 70 million coaching regimes are 98% nonesense.

It really is. If we are a bubble team next year, I might give it all up for good!! Go RU

The class, or at least two members, will have talent. They should be fun to watch. But to think it insures a sweet 16 or final 4 as some say is ridiculous. To call it momentum is premature. Let’s see what the class of 2025 looks like. 2024 may very well be an outlier based on the last few years of recruits.

The class, or at least two members, will have talent. They should be fun to watch. But to think it insures a sweet 16 or final 4 as some say is ridiculous. To call it momentum is premature. Let’s see what the class of 2025 looks like. 2024 may very well be an outlier based on the last few years of recruits.
Well, I'm not calling it momentum. What I am responding to is the point about "squandared momentum" that you keep posting; the implication being that we missed some golden opportunity to recruit better and now it's gone. But that is demonstrobly false, just look at the incoming class. Whether he can keep that up time will tell. But if he doesn't it's not going to have anything to do with recruiting in 2022 or 2023. None of that matters except for causing pain this year.

Well, I'm not calling it momentum. What I am responding to is the point about "squandared momentum" that you keep posting; the implication being that we missed some golden opportunity to recruit better and now it's gone. But that is demonstrobly false, just look at the incoming class. Whether he can keep that up time will tell. But if he doesn't it's not going to have anything to do with recruiting in 2022 or 2023. None of that matters except for causing pain this year.
I see your points but I’ll agree to disagree. In March of 2021 we were nearly sweet 16. Our arena was establishing notoriety and Andy Katz was driving our hype bus. That was our golden moment. We followed that up with Pike picks of Jalen Miller, Derek, Wolf and Chol. That’s where I feel momentum was squandered. That’s where I felt we should have done better. For the benefit of this year, for the benefit of the supporting cast next year, for the benefit of the program after the one and dones are gone. We can agree on one thing, in ten to twelve months we’ll know what the 2025 Class will look like and that will go a long way to seeing which of our arguments is right.

I see your points but I’ll agree to disagree. In March of 2021 we were nearly sweet 16. Our arena was establishing notoriety and Andy Katz was driving our hype bus. That was our golden moment. We followed that up with Pike picks of Jalen Miller, Derek, Wolf and Chol. That’s where I feel momentum was squandered. That’s where I felt we should have done better. For the benefit of this year, for the benefit of the supporting cast next year, for the benefit of the program after the one and dones are gone. We can agree on one thing, in ten to twelve months we’ll know what the 2025 Class will look like and that will go a long way to seeing which of our arguments is right.
It's like when McFly goes back and talks to HIS OWN FATHER as a young man himself. Mind blown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT