ADVERTISEMENT

Folks, reach out to people as needed

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
With the social distancing and self quarantining, some people are going to be very cut off with social interactions. Those of us who have family probably won't notice, but those who are alone may get very stressed over it. I realized this first hand at the end of the work day Friday, when my colleague asked to have a video chat so that he could test out his new microphone. He's our sales and marketing manager and has to do product demos. During the chat he mentioned how stressed he was being home alone, and in talking with him I realized how much this is weighing on him. He is distancing himself from his family due to their age and health considerations, plus he's a songwriter and performer and, obviously, can't do the latter and can't collaborate on the former.

So I'm making it a point to reach out to him occasionally. Plus I'm looking at others in my life for whom I can do the same thing. My nephew, for example, finally got shipped out to Kansas for his armor unit in the Army in late Feb. He's now in his house all alone out there as things get locked down.

I encourage everyone else do the same. This is one of those dire situations where we all need to pull together and help one another out. In our lifetimes we have never faced a situation like this, so need to support each other as we deal with it and get through it.

As a further suggestion to helping your fellow man might I suggest that once the dust settles from all this that those who have hoarded enough TP and hand sanitizer for the next 7 years do the right thing and donate excess materials to local charities.

As a further suggestion to helping your fellow man might I suggest that once the dust settles from all this that those who have hoarded enough TP and hand sanitizer for the next 7 years do the right thing and donate excess materials to local charities.
I plan to do that with my canned goods.

Yup. I donate anyway, but I whenever I have had excess from storm prep, that’s the first place it goes. Summer is a great time for that when supplies are traditionally low.

Reactions: Jm0513
With the social distancing and self quarantining, some people are going to be very cut off with social interactions. Those of us who have family probably won't notice, but those who are alone may get very stressed over it. I realized this first hand at the end of the work day Friday, when my colleague asked to have a video chat so that he could test out his new microphone. He's our sales and marketing manager and has to do product demos. During the chat he mentioned how stressed he was being home alone, and in talking with him I realized how much this is weighing on him. He is distancing himself from his family due to their age and health considerations, plus he's a songwriter and performer and, obviously, can't do the latter and can't collaborate on the former.

So I'm making it a point to reach out to him occasionally. Plus I'm looking at others in my life for whom I can do the same thing. My nephew, for example, finally got shipped out to Kansas for his armor unit in the Army in late Feb. He's now in his house all alone out there as things get locked down.

I encourage everyone else do the same. This is one of those dire situations where we all need to pull together and help one another out. In our lifetimes we have never faced a situation like this, so need to support each other as we deal with it and get through it.
Great post! On one of the weather boards, a whole bunch of folks were all talking about their stress/anxiety levels and some were having difficulty coping, so many posters offered support and links to places to call or get help. This is very tough for many, especially people who are alone.

Thank you, but I'm mostly taking a break from posting. I do miss my friends on the board, but it's better right now if I don't post. I'll let @RU848789 fight the good fight.

Again, thank you for thinking of me.

Thanks!! Got your IM, but the system won't allow me to reply, but again, thanks for the kind words. It can be a little frustrating at times (not as bad as the weather, lol), but the many nice comments make it worthwhile.

Same here. I also contacted the mayor in our town suggesting they might want to set up a fund for donations even including any government checks we might get - I have no idea who will get such checks (neither did he a couple of days ago, but he liked the idea), but if we get one it will be donated somewhere.

Reactions: Jm0513
Great ideas guys... As someone who is an extrovert and who lives alone, I can tell you that social distancing is especially challenging/trying. I'm thankful that my friends check in on me and I have a bunch of terrific coworkers that I consider to be friends too. Make mental notes, like the OP, to keep an eye out for those who may be struggling.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Some of the things people are stocking up on have me scratching my head. Not only the toilet paper, but laundry detergent. The Shop Rite was almost stripped bare of laundry detergent the other day. Do people have months worth of laundry laying around and now that they are out of work, they thought this would be a good time to finally do the wash ?

Reactions: RutgersNYCB1G

This from the guy who said this (among other things):

I understand the impact of being a carrier I do, I also understand the fact that in 50 days a grand total of 27 people have died. I just have a different opinion on the matter that all. I do not believe it is what it's being hyped up to be. I do not believe it is enough of a threat that schools and businesses should be shut down the way they are. What's going on in Italy right now with business shut down is going to destroy their economy. I worry about that happening here. And yes, I do believe that the survival of economic health in the united states is more important than staying inside to prevent maybe another 300 deaths nationwide.

This from the guy who said this (among other things):
yea dude I did, do you want a cookie or something? For real you’ve been arguing with a ton of posters lately. You’re being a complete d bag but hey should I expect anything less?

lol FOH

Some of the things people are stocking up on have me scratching my head. Not only the toilet paper, but laundry detergent. The Shop Rite was almost stripped bare of laundry detergent the other day. Do people have months worth of laundry laying around and now that they are out of work, they thought this would be a good time to finally do the wash ?
Because too many people have LITTLE to NO common sense...

Good one! Moronovirus hit pretty hard. :Annoyed

I've donated 4 bags of food for the kids who were on the assisted lunch program. Could be more to come, as the kids will be out of school for awhile yet.

yea dude I did, do you want a cookie or something? For real you’ve been arguing with a ton of posters lately. You’re being a complete d bag but hey should I expect anything less?

lol FOH

You were as wrong as wrong can be about this whole thing.

It will not be forgotten.

And for whatever it's worth, there are plenty of people on this forum who I consider to be friends. You're not one of them.

I'm the Dean of the College of Ed down here and have about 45 staff who report to me. We've set up a TEAMS site on Office 365 where folks can drop in and chat (or not) as they please. We've put up a special channel to post music videos that we like. It's turning out to be a pretty nice way to keep up with one another without having my inbox loaded with emails.

On the personal front, Moms Skillethead and I have once been described as extraordinarily fond of one another, so with 38 acres overlooking the ocean, four alpacas, and a cat, we are in very good shape. Also loaded up on a fantastic local whisky and a gin with grapefruit tonic, so I'm good for the four weeks isolation we are in.

Reactions: MoobyCow and Jm0513
You were as wrong as wrong can be about this whole thing.

It will not be forgotten.

And for whatever it's worth, there are plenty of people on this forum who I consider to be friends. You're not one of them.
I could care less about being friends with you man. All you seem to care about during this pandemic is proving how smart you are... You drive a lifted truck don't you? lol

Was thinking of you and 4Real. It's cask strength, but Moms likes it neat and straight. I like it with a touch of rainwater (we're not on the town water) or straight.

So, it is real sippin' whisky because of the strength. What happens is that your mouth gets this explosion from the alcohol followed immediately by a rich carmel or butterscotch flavor, and then that disappears and you are left with a smooth, but very powerful finish. I'm sorry that I'm not better at describing it, but when people try it, you can see their face get a kind of faraway look and then, "Damn, that it good whisky!" Never had anything quite like it before. Costs an arm and a leg because it is pretty old and was made here in Dunedin and they didn't make a ton of it when they did. Another scotch the same company sells has won some big awards, but I don't like it as much as this. It's probably because I'm not a sophisticated scotch drinker, but folks who are who I've given this to tend to love it. It's $169 for a small bottle, but they are Kiwi dollars, so about $90 US. Thus, I'm not making sidecars out of this.

The only problem with only bringing it out for special friends is that everyone wants a second round, and then before you know it, you've had $169 worth of scotch.

Don't know if they ship internationally, but this is it: https://www.thenzwhisky.com/project/the-oamaruvian/

The guy who runs the place says that some people don't like that butterscotch hit at the beginning, but it's what makes it special to me.

The gin is Scapegrace and it won an international London Dry Gin competition. It is great gin just straight over some ice. Also a super g and t.

So getting back to the original subject, I've got 6 people on my list so far that I try to reach out to periodically. Whether it's a phone call, email, text or Zoom.

Same here. I also contacted the mayor in our town suggesting they might want to set up a fund for donations even including any government checks we might get - I have no idea who will get such checks (neither did he a couple of days ago, but he liked the idea), but if we get one it will be donated somewhere.
EVERYONE who has filed a Federal tax return will get a $1200.00 check if their AGI was under 75 grand.Adjustments for those whose income was over that number.Supposed to be done starting 3 weeks from now.

Was thinking of you and 4Real. It's cask strength, but Moms likes it neat and straight. I like it with a touch of rainwater (we're not on the town water) or straight.

So, it is real sippin' whisky because of the strength. What happens is that your mouth gets this explosion from the alcohol followed immediately by a rich carmel or butterscotch flavor, and then that disappears and you are left with a smooth, but very powerful finish. I'm sorry that I'm not better at describing it, but when people try it, you can see their face get a kind of faraway look and then, "Damn, that it good whisky!" Never had anything quite like it before. Costs an arm and a leg because it is pretty old and was made here in Dunedin and they didn't make a ton of it when they did. Another scotch the same company sells has won some big awards, but I don't like it as much as this. It's probably because I'm not a sophisticated scotch drinker, but folks who are who I've given this to tend to love it. It's $169 for a small bottle, but they are Kiwi dollars, so about $90 US. Thus, I'm not making sidecars out of this.

The only problem with only bringing it out for special friends is that everyone wants a second round, and then before you know it, you've had $169 worth of scotch.

Don't know if they ship internationally, but this is it: https://www.thenzwhisky.com/project/the-oamaruvian/

The guy who runs the place says that some people don't like that butterscotch hit at the beginning, but it's what makes it special to me.

The gin is Scapegrace and it won an international London Dry Gin competition. It is great gin just straight over some ice. Also a super g and t.
Amazing that in Scotland they can make Peat taste like Butterscotch.

EVERYONE who has filed a Federal tax return will get a $1200.00 check if their AGI was under 75 grand.Adjustments for those whose income was over that number.Supposed to be done starting 3 weeks from now.
Yep, no check for me, which is fine - would've donated it anyway, as we're doing to several causes now...

New Zealand!
They can't make Peat taste like New Zealand! That's silly!
3vbp6a.jpg

We just had a virtual happy hour with a small part of our tailgate group. Actually was a lot of fun, went from 6:30 to 8:00.

So I have now 8 people I try to keep in touch with at least once a week via phone. Plus a couple of others I instant message with on occasion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT