ADVERTISEMENT

If it wasn't obvious that the game has passed Schiano by..

Our 3rd best recruit is likely better than most of the players ranked in front of him. Most importantly, we are landing players that will shore up our weaknesses. Dylan Braithwaite injects much needed speed into our receiving corp.

Greg is not irrelevant and his ability to build a Top 10 defense and Competitive Big Ten team despite Rutgers limitations, demonstrates that. Outside of OSU, we are capable of beating anyone on any given day. A huge boost from where we were previously. In 2019, we lost to Michigan 49-3. Last year we were competitive, falling 20-13. Two years ago, we were also competitive, falling to them in OT. That demonstrates substantial progress whether you want to recognize it, or not.

If Mike Houston is so relevant, why is he coaching at East Carolina?

What would another coach be able to do that Greg isn’t doing and what should our record be at this point?
Mike Houston got a new deal last year after UNC and Duke came calling, they just knocked off BYU to become bowl eligible for the second year in a row after he took over a program that had 3 straight 3-9 seasons prior to his hire.

hus offense is dynamic and doesn’t require a huge arm qb to pull off.. just take a look at what RB’s do in his system! Ever heard the guy give a press conference? It rivals Mike Gundy… he’s a born salesman which is something we desperately need in todays nil landscape. Beyond that though, he’s affordable! You said it yourself, we’re not going get the tier 1 or even tier 2 coaches, we gotta look deep! You and I went back and forth about Houston back in the ash days… back when he took over ECU and went 4-8 year 1… by year 3 they were at 7 wins, now in year 4 they are bowl eligible in October…. We’re on the verge of heading backwards from a W/L standpoint with a trash recruiting class coming in and our entire hopes at qb on a kid none of us know if he can play, whose family is talking about him transferring, with only Simon behind him!

what would Houston do differently m? Not create at absolute mess at the single most important position on the field! Not publicly come out and say you aren’t targeting a qb in a class bc of Gavin…. EVERY class should have a qb. Greg is irrelevant to anyone who doesn’t bleed scarlet Al. Recruits don’t care

That's one of my favorite Bugs episodes with the bank robbers.
It was what I had in mind when I responded to the “stop posting” post. One of episodes stuck in my head all these years. Also always remembering the Robin Hood episode, for some reason.

Was such great stuff.

Reactions: colbert17
Picking out a few useful pieces of your rant. I do agree that Greg has to be recruiting better. I don't understand his QB mindset and there is no excuse anymore for no 4 star players or top 250 in any class. At this point, we should be in the higher end of the middle of the pack B1G recruiting.

I also hold reservations on what Greg's ceiling is. But...What Rutgers needed immediately after Ash- was a face and a high floor. That is what Greg brought immediately.
What Rutgers couldn't do, was to try "youngblood" again immediately after Ash.
And Rutgers was not going to get a P5 HC that had done it before. It just wasn't going to happen.

Greg will be here at least 2 more years. We will most likely be that 5-7 type win team where we are trying to find that win to get us to a bowl each year. And if that is when we part ways- we should be in position to pony up the $$$ and even be attractive to a young HC that has done it before.

But your straight up hatred for GS is very strange and the thought of how easy it would be then and now, to just snap your fingers and make a no brainer HC change is mind boggling.
Yesrutgers I agree with your points. This yessir321 troll , and that is what he is , is not an RU fan and is a very low football IQ poster. He also thinks Schiano was in charge during the Ash years and is putting the ash debacle years on Schiano. He also doesn’t know the RU history with football. He thinks we have had a storied program and can change thinGs up by snapping his fingers. He also keeps harping on the same thing over and over again just like rainman Block R poster. He keeps bringing up how we didn’t do this and didnt do that or how someone isn’t good enough blah blah. Of course we all want to be in a better position but it is what it is and we need to support the kids on the field right now not put them down.

Yesrutgers I agree with your points. This yessir321 troll , and that is what he is , is not an RU fan and is a very low football IQ poster. He also thinks Schiano was in charge during the Ash years and is putting the ash debacle years on Schiano. He also doesn’t know the RU history with football. He thinks we have had a storied program and can change thinGs up by snapping his fingers. He also keeps harping on the same thing over and over again just like rainman Block R poster. He keeps bringing up how we didn’t do this and didnt do that or how someone isn’t good enough blah blah. Of course we all want to be in a better position but it is what it is and we need to support the kids on the field right now not put them down.
Ummm, I’m suggesting an affordable alternative to a recycled coach who at this point only has folks over 50 still talking about how great he is. I’m looking at my alma mater feeling content with a coach who literally no one besides us wanted. I’m looking at a dogsh*r recruiting class coming in that’s somehow supposed to magically turn this team around. I’m looking at gross negligence at the qb position and a refusal to play the one guy who our entire future at the position is riding on.. I’m looking at a coach, who is in over his head in this conference.

You really are a piece of work. Please go be a "fan" somewhere else.
Meh, my $80k in tuition to Rutgers gave me the right to ‘fan’ however I like. I’m just waiting for a couple more years when there’s going to be soooo much crow to eat

Ummm, I’m suggesting an affordable alternative to a recycled coach who at this point only has folks over 50 still talking about how great he is. I’m looking at my alma mater feeling content with a coach who literally no one besides us wanted. I’m looking at a dogsh*r recruiting class coming in that’s somehow supposed to magically turn this team around. I’m looking at gross negligence at the qb position and a refusal to play the one guy who our entire future at the position is riding on.. I’m looking at a coach, who is in over his head in this conference.
You must be stupid to blame Schiano for not playing Gavin, when he has been injured for the past month PS Gavin will start today

Meh, my $80k in tuition to Rutgers gave me the right to ‘fan’ however I like. I’m just waiting for a couple more years when there’s going to be soooo much crow to eat
There you go. Not much of a fan when you being right is more important to you than the team doing well. You'll spend the next couple of years rooting against your team just so you can say "I told you so". That's a real fan.
As for the $80k I'd ask for a refund because of all the things you may have learned common sense wasn't one of them.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Mike Houston got a new deal last year after UNC and Duke came calling, they just knocked off BYU to become bowl eligible for the second year in a row after he took over a program that had 3 straight 3-9 seasons prior to his hire.

hus offense is dynamic and doesn’t require a huge arm qb to pull off.. just take a look at what RB’s do in his system! Ever heard the guy give a press conference? It rivals Mike Gundy… he’s a born salesman which is something we desperately need in todays nil landscape. Beyond that though, he’s affordable! You said it yourself, we’re not going get the tier 1 or even tier 2 coaches, we gotta look deep! You and I went back and forth about Houston back in the ash days… back when he took over ECU and went 4-8 year 1… by year 3 they were at 7 wins, now in year 4 they are bowl eligible in October…. We’re on the verge of heading backwards from a W/L standpoint with a trash recruiting class coming in and our entire hopes at qb on a kid none of us know if he can play, whose family is talking about him transferring, with only Simon behind him!

what would Houston do differently m? Not create at absolute mess at the single most important position on the field! Not publicly come out and say you aren’t targeting a qb in a class bc of Gavin…. EVERY class should have a qb. Greg is irrelevant to anyone who doesn’t bleed scarlet Al. Recruits don’t care

Once Greg is done at Rutgers, if that ever happens, it sounds like Mike Houston does have the attributes of a candidate that should be considered. Candidate who runs an exciting offense to allow Rutgers to take the next step.

That said, you should be rooting for Greg’s success, because that is the most likely path for him to go elsewhere. Also, we are only in year 3 and the season is barely past half done, we’re 4-3, and there is a LOT of football left. I honestly don’t care what happens in year 3 or 4. What’s important to me is what happens in year 5.

You must be stupid to blame Schiano for not playing Gavin, when he has been injured for the past month PS Gavin will start today
seeing those warmup videos last week, there’s no way he’s been as ‘injured’ as Greg made it out to be.
More importantly where are you seeing Gavin will start today? I’d be thrilled dont get me wrong

There you go. Not much of a fan when you being right is more important to you than the team doing well. You'll spend the next couple of years rooting against your team just so you can say "I told you so". That's a real fan.
As for the $80k I'd ask for a refund because of all the things you may have learned common sense wasn't one of them.
At some point you kinda give up on wishful thinking…. If there was ANYTHING that pointed towards us building a competitive team under schiano I’m all ears. I like the defense, don’t get me wrong, but that’s only going to get you so far. There has been a gross negligence on our offense and rather than blindly having faith that recruits no one else wanted and a coach no one else wanted will somehow ‘figure it out’ is not my idea of being a fan… if Dan could force the administration to bring back a coaching dinosaur, fans can also put some fire under that seat to figure out the damn offense!

seeing those warmup videos last week, there’s no way he’s been as ‘injured’ as Greg made it out to be.
More importantly where are you seeing Gavin will start today? I’d be thrilled dont get me wrong
It is easy to throw a ball in warmups with a bad ankle but that has no bearing on being able to play & he will be starting today

I’m looking at a coach that must of banged your wife because you can’t stop the hatred for him. Let it go ,

At some point you kinda give up on wishful thinking…. If there was ANYTHING that pointed towards us building a competitive team under schiano I’m all ears. I like the defense, don’t get me wrong, but that’s only going to get you so far. There has been a gross negligence on our offense and rather than blindly having faith that recruits no one else wanted and a coach no one else wanted will somehow ‘figure it out’ is not my idea of being a fan… if Dan could force the administration to bring back a coaching dinosaur, fans can also put some fire under that seat to figure out the damn offense!
I stand by my previous post.

I had been avoiding this thread since the day it started. Looking at it today, I see I didn't miss much. If we win today, it feels like some of these posters will be upset inside because it won't add heat to Greg's seat.

Perhaps.

Alternatively, if we lose today it feels like some posters will say it's fine because we shouldn't expect a bad (not even average) offense for 45 years.

Reactions: brgRC90
I agree only on the recruiting but also to a point. The other stuff.
you do realize GW has been hurt, correct? And he got a lot of playing time early.
right now, Greg understands the importance of making a bowl with it in reach. And playing GW and Simon list him 2 games he most likely wins with a healthy Noah.
so, he is going to go with Noah until he knows it ain’t working.
but, you must have known Wimstatt was in a boot just a couple weeks ago and his money makers are his legs, not arm.
The suggestion on who we should bring in as HC…Guy was very good in very low divisions. He has been ehhh at G5 level with a good season this year.
As much of a risk as Ash was.
if we were to get rid of Schiano- who has a high floor- they will most likely only go with an experienced P5 guy. Or a G5 guy who has had their team ranked as a norm.
you come off as a troll, foaming at the mouth yelling things as if you are the smartest guy in the room. Stop, slow down and think. Make it a valid conversation and you may actually have someone listen or maybe, you may even learn something as well.

BTW- you dumb ass kids that like to use age as a dividing like, are just hopeless.
most of us over 50 have learned something you haven’t- you can learn something new from anyone at anytime. There are a ton of posters in their 20-30’s that are very knowledgeable and I love listening to their opinions. I would be much more ignorant in life if I used your method and if I just said that anyone under 50 doesn’t know what they are talking about.
And then we have those in their 90’s @beaced that have such a sense of humor and a wealth of knowledge. My life is better just reading his posts and sharing stories with him.

I still don’t understand why you’re all responding to the PSU troll. He didn’t go to RU and didn’t, most likely, go to PSU either. Just lives somewhere in PA and worships JoePa. And has no life other than trolling us.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
BTW- you dumb ass kids that like to use age as a dividing like, are just hopeless.
most of us over 50 have learned something you haven’t- you can learn something new from anyone at anytime. There are a ton of posters in their 20-30’s that are very knowledgeable and I love listening to their opinions. I would be much more ignorant in life if I used your method and if I just said that anyone under 50 doesn’t know what they are talking about.
And then we have those in their 90’s @beaced that have such a sense of humor and a wealth of knowledge. My life is better just reading his posts and sharing stories with him.
Werber werber werber… go yell at a cloud

I still don’t understand why you’re all responding to the PSU troll. He didn’t go to RU and didn’t, most likely, go to PSU either. Just lives somewhere in PA and worships JoePa. And has no life other than trolling us.
Where the hell are you getting psu troll? Lol is that how desperate fans are for Greg to succeed that the guy calling out how bad of a job he’s doing now constitutes psu troll? Lol this fanbase😂

Last edited:
Reactions: brgRC90
Once Greg is done at Rutgers, if that ever happens, it sounds like Mike Houston does have the attributes of a candidate that should be considered. Candidate who runs an exciting offense to allow Rutgers to take the next step.

That said, you should be rooting for Greg’s success, because that is the most likely path for him to go elsewhere. Also, we are only in year 3 and the season is barely past half done, we’re 4-3, and there is a LOT of football left. I honestly don’t care what happens in year 3 or 4. What’s important to me is what happens in year 5.
If that ever happens? Jesus christ I thought id never seen a person love another person in sports more than Dan Orvlosky loves Carson Wentz but you might just have him beat with your love affair with Greg. Beyond that pont you're kinda where I'm at except when you see a train with no breaks headed straight towards you, you get out of the way! you don't stand there and do nothing. What in the world do you see in the upcoming reruiting class that leads you to believe Rutgers will be "there" in another 2 years? We haven't made a dent in improving our offense in 3 years, and all the sudden in another 2 years greg's gonna figure it out with a group of 3*'s and transfers? You have to have talent to compete in this conference... it's THAT simple. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at our recruiting class, see whose coming in, realize that next year we lose half our defense and have MAJOR concerns. Maybe by jumping out of the way of the train at the last minute we just break a leg, rather than get smacked head on which is where we're headed under Schiano

Last edited:
I agree only on the recruiting but also to a point. The other stuff.
you do realize GW has been hurt, correct? And he got a lot of playing time early.
right now, Greg understands the importance of making a bowl with it in reach. And playing GW and Simon list him 2 games he most likely wins with a healthy Noah.
so, he is going to go with Noah until he knows it ain’t working.
but, you must have known Wimstatt was in a boot just a couple weeks ago and his money makers are his legs, not arm.
The suggestion on who we should bring in as HC…Guy was very good in very low divisions. He has been ehhh at G5 level with a good season this year.
As much of a risk as Ash was.
if we were to get rid of Schiano- who has a high floor- they will most likely only go with an experienced P5 guy. Or a G5 guy who has had their team ranked as a norm.
you come off as a troll, foaming at the mouth yelling things as if you are the smartest guy in the room. Stop, slow down and think. Make it a valid conversation and you may actually have someone listen or maybe, you may even learn something as well.
Also what is this "high floor" for Schiano? 5 wins? Is that a "high floor"? When we play 2-3 automatic wins per season to begin with?

Reactions: RutgersSam
One day our best will be better than the other consistent bottom feeders in the Big 10.

Actually we're pretty much the only consistent bottom feeder in this league.

Reactions: drewbagel423
You must be dense enough to believe you're actually supporting Rutgers as a program by conflating that by supporting an incompetent coach.

You must be dense enough to believe you're actually supporting Rutgers as a program by conflating that by supporting an incompetent coach.
you must be dense not to understand the return to respectability won';t be the instant gradation you demand and RU is building from the ground up again like it had to do during the Greg1 era.
This is Schiano's 3rd year and it's too soon to expect RU FB to be competitive with some of the better B1G programs and the Gophers aren't pushovers.
It's a bad loss, but not the end of world when you realize there is still a lot needed to become a respected program again.
Schiano's building that, but it takes more than 3 years to build a talented roster that will make RU be a respected program again..
I want it now is for babies, adults know instant gratification doesn't happen often when trying to build a constant winner at a program that isn't a traditional power and one that over the years had a hard time getting talent to come.

you must be dense not to understand the return to respectability won';t be the instant gradation you demand and RU is building from the ground up again like it had to do during the Greg1 era.
This is Schiano's 3rd year and it's too soon to expect RU FB to be competitive with some of the better B1G programs and the Gophers aren't pushovers.
It's a bad loss, but not the end of world when you realize there is still a lot needed to become a respected program again.
Schiano's building that, but it takes more than 3 years to build a talented roster that will make RU be a respected program again..
I want it now is for babies, adults know instant gratification doesn't happen often when trying to build a constant winner at a program that isn't a traditional power and one that over the years had a hard time getting talent to come.
Legitimate question, not a flame… what in the upcoming recruiting class indicates to you that we’re headed that direction? All schiano hating aside I genuinely cannot understand how people have such faith when our incoming recruiting class is filled with nothing but ‘under the radar’ prospects. I understand some of them are going to hit but you gotta have some blue chippers to compete and elevate those guys. I love a good underdog story, but make no mistake, the most dominant defensive player on the planet, Micah Parsons, is a former blue chip 5* recruit…. You need some of those guys in this conference.

I honestly cannot understand the blind faith in what we are seeing on the field currently mixed with the incoming recruiting class…. I keep seeing we gotta give 5 years, what in the world do you see that leads you to believe we’re going to have an offense in 1.5 years?

Reactions: RU#1fan
Legitimate question, not a flame… what in the upcoming recruiting class indicates to you that we’re headed that direction? All schiano hating aside I genuinely cannot understand how people have such faith when our incoming recruiting class is filled with nothing but ‘under the radar’ prospects. I understand some of them are going to hit but you gotta have some blue chippers to compete and elevate those guys. I love a good underdog story, but make no mistake, the most dominant defensive player on the planet, Micah Parsons, is a former blue chip 5* recruit…. You need some of those guys in this conference.

I honestly cannot understand the blind faith in what we are seeing on the field currently mixed with the incoming recruiting class…. I keep seeing we gotta give 5 years, what in the world do you see that leads you to believe we’re going to have an offense in 1.5 years?
Reality will kick in next year when we have another flop recruiting class. Not mention.. Are we sure prize recruits from the Fran Brown class, won't start looking for more attractive situations 🤔

I

I think some of our fans need to stop obsessing on the idea that Schiano is the reason we're in the Big Ten. That might be true but that's not reason enough to bring him back a second time. His success after season 5 was ultimately disappointing, except for one season, which many coaches are able to achieve. NOBODY is impressed by those 8-4 3rd place finishes in the Big East where he racked up wins against Navy and Ball State and USF. That's why our reputation is still bad and why lots of Big Ten fans think we shouldn't be in the conference. They don't even know what the Tropicana Bowl is. We were invited in for our potential, not our glorious history and row of Orange Bowl trophies. "Thanks Greg for getting us into the Big Ten. But we're going in a different direction."
Greg’s biggest mistake was leaving the school in the first place.

After that, being held hostage by him and his team for an outrageous contract should have been reason enough to walk away, boosters be damned.

These redux rarely work out to the level they were before, and I’d we are being honest, while we had some exciting times, he’s never won anything. Was a disaster in the NFL, was mediocre with OSU talent, and no one else wanted him. We were bidding against ourselves at that point.

I’ve always maintained the best we are going to get is an organized program, some new facilities, guys not getting in trouble, and some at least neat competent play.

Today I question that last part. This game was very Ash like.

This thing will slowly erode. Year 6 and on, will look like Temple home games at the Linc.

Half serious is probably right. You keep advocating for a Schiano replacement but have not expressed how this will happen financially.

If Schiano was to be fired after this year his buyout would be ~ $16M
His staff makes ~$4M annually

Since I'm assuming you're not paying the bill for a buyout etc. Where is this coming from? What coach are you targeting to replace Schiano and how much are you paying in new salary? Does that coach have a buyout that RU will need to account for?
If RU will not buy out Schiano then we are stuck with him throughout his Contract. Obviously there will be no talk of “extension” for Greg based on his lack of success. Unless the pathetic pro Greg crowd think 4 wins annually vs. weak 3 OOC opponents and one bottom feeder B1G opponent believe that he is the messiah. LMAO. And don’t worry we won’t lose him because nobody else wants him.

Wimsatt s family is talking about him transferring?

Wimsatt s family is talking about him transferring?
Family members liking tweets referring to him transferring. Obviously nothing too crazy but certainly noteworthy. I think they were more frustrated he wasn’t playing. Who knows. Kid showed some guts today but had no help around him. Now he hopefully doesn’t have a concussion but with such an increased emphasis after the tua situation I’m not getting my hopes up for next week. Not that it matters vs mich anyway. It was a depressing watch today

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT