GAME 14 Indiana: Right Bac to Where We Started From

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Ooh, you know it's alright and it's coming on
We gotta get it right back to where we started from

The last few weeks have painful for all of us. Alot of negativity, some warranted, some driven by emotional frustration and wtf moments. 5 losses, 6 in the last 7, a season unraveling down the hill like an avalanche heading into a dark abyss. Today was different today we finally saw something all RU fans could get behind. Remember the good times. Remember the basketball we saw hints of in Pike's third year and which came to fruition in year 4. Last year's team defined the program. A Team that came out with energy, played hard nosed defense, was opportunistic in transition, with big shot potential by Geo the shot maker. A team who was resilient and tough and physical when challenged. Maxine Nightengale sang it well...."We gotta get it right back to where we started from"

Today we were back to basics. Back to how we used to do it. I touched on it I believe in the Jacob Young thread I started on Thursday night. The thought was perhaps RU got too enamored with a certaih style and lineup which perhaps was not putting this team in position to put its best foot forward. Look almost every single player had struggled coming into this game but it was noticable that in this 7 game stretch RU has got off to some really bad starts. Excessive reliance on forcing the offense through Jacob Young and Montez Mathis to me had led to poor starts and sloppy turnovers and an ineffective offense that was pressing. iknow Geo has taken a ton of criticism this year for just not being the same player and that is leash is too long but the fact remains Geo is the heart and soul of this team. Putting him back into his role where RU had the most success with was definitely worth a try by Coach Pikiell and it immediately paid dividends.

Such a wonderful stat.....in the first 4 and half minutes of the game, all 5 of our starters had made scored. RU was moving the ball around, getting it inside even and most importantly not becoming the predictable drive amongst trees that that we have become used to with Mathis/Young getting alot of early touches. You could see almost immediately the energy was there on the team. Coach Pikiell had challenged them and they responded. Defensively we were tough early and we were rebounding and we were not turning it over. Getting that 15-8 lead early spurred on our confidence. Leaving in our starters with just the sub Cliff for Myles which led to two dunks by Cliff is MAJOR credit to Pikiell for realizing he needed a shakeup. Sometimes you have to play and ride what is working and certainly Pike did today. Geo and Ron both logged 37 minutes and Paul 36. In total the bench only played 37 minutes and only 3 bench players used and Mathis just 3. Sometimes you have to get it right back to where you started from. You play defense, you hustle, you get on the ground for balls, you hit shots, you make shots, you trust your leader Geo.

Geo Baker showed his moxy today. 37 minutes, 7 of 15 shooting, 4-9 threes, 5 assists, 1 turnover 19 points, His best overall game this season. Only against Purdue had even reached 19 points, coincidentally another win. Geo had a big moment in the first half to swing momentum nailing a 3 then on a beautiful pass by Young off a steal, slammed it home. Indiana had gone up 26-24 and suddenly RU was back up 29-26 and never trailed the rest of the way. Geo hit 3 more treys in the 2nd half. All in very timely moments, the biggest of which might have been at 62-59 which allowed RU to get a 6 point cushion, a one they desperately needed as Indiana was chipping away. From there it seemed like Ron Harper took over. Harper was responsible for 6 of RU's last 7 points, including 4 free throws and 3 crucial rebounds and a block. Welcome back Ron Harper. Ron hit a very high degree of difficulty shot at 68-65 to make it a 5 point lead and that wasnt the first time he hit that this game. For Ron it was so nice to see his confidence back, those shots were bricking in the past couple of games, now they were smooth. Ron put in a warrior's effort putting his body on the line in 37 minutes with a team leading 12 boards and 15 points. No his three point shot isnt back yet but this was the kind of game we have been expecting from him. Geo and Ron back in the day were the guys who got it done. Fitting we went right back to where we started from

Myles Johnson had a glorious game today. 8 boards, 5 blocks, 4-4 shooting, 8 points, 27 minutes. Probably his most consistent game this season, he was a force in the paint swatting everything away and converted when his time was called offensively. Myles made the play that one the game for RU. Off a Harper miss with RU just up 3 with 10 seconds left, full of headiness, Myles secured the rebound and quickly passed to Geo. Myles wasnt frustrated today. He kept focus, maybe only one bad foul and the usual phantom one as well. What about Paul Mulcahy. Well Paul might have been the only one to show some passion vs Penn State but you could tell the kid was locked in today. He was not afraid to be physical going to the rim and when his time was called on the perimeter. Paul knocked down a couple of 3s. Pike trusted in Paul alot today, 36 minutes taking minutes away from Mathis and JY who have much higher ceilings defensively. Credit to Paul for answering the challenge. And there is Caleb. Caleb has been shaky since coming back, shot has been there at times but looked pretty poor vs Penn State. Today Caleb inserted in the starting lineup but challenge to just play within himself passed the test. I think this was Caleb's best overall game since coming back because he succeeded on both ends of the court. 3-6 shooting including a 3, Caleb contributed with 2 blocks and 4 boards and no turnovers, giving 4 fouls. Back to the Caleb who isnt the guy trying to force bad shots but the guy who has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Cliff look comfortable today. 8 points and 3 rebounds in just 12 minutes. Getting offense from him is a bonus but its important we try to get him the ball when the opportunity exists. Jacob only 22 minutes and a bit shaky late with decision making but contributed 8 points on just 3-7 shooting. Big buy and step up for Jacob today. Minutes and role slashed but by and large he bought into it and that likely just a key development as Geo stepping up. Jacob is an important part of RU's success. I just think we relied too much on him being our top option given his uncanny ability to drive and make some beautiful shots. Sometimes you have to take a step back to see the big picture. The switch today worked. I do not know if its something that is going to work every game but I think Pikiell might be on something here. Mathis just 3 minutes and let us just say Mathis will get his number called again and hopefully responds. He was almost single handedly responsible for the Purdue win. Mathis will win us games in the future. Important that he buys into what Pike is trying to do here so hopefully he has accepted today.

Obvious team looks better when team makes shots. RU shot 51%, 27 for 53 and a decent for them 12-17 at the line. However two things stick out to me...rebounding, RU finally winning at 26-21 and turnovers, RU only turning it over 9 times to Indiana's 12. I think the tone set early led with the effort and better decision making led to both stats being positive for Rutgers. Indiana is a very good offensive team, you saw them start to get hot at times. It was imperative for RU to limit their amount of shots late and RU stepped it up.

College basketball can be a cruel game. RU's futility seemingly snowballed each game. One win could possibly change all that. I am not ready to declare that Rutgers has turned the corner but now getting to 4-6/8-6 has stabilized the wounds of the past month. Where RU goes from here is up to them. After last game I stated I had lost my faith and belief in this team and they would have to prove it to me. Its funny how getting bac to where they started from could bring it bac so quickly

1. Corny.
2. I thought play of the game was the steal when IU had it down to 3 with the ball with like 5 left and Myles got the steal.

nice write up

great song

Myles had 3 steals in the last 8 minutes, he was an extremely big part of the win. An enormous presence in the paint and forced Indy to shoot from 3 where 10-16 shooting kept them in it

thank you

great song

Myles had 3 steals in the last 8 minutes, he was an extremely big part of the win. An enormous presence in the paint and forced Indy to shoot from 3 where 10-16 shooting kept them in it

thank you
Great song?

low standards

Name a movie that played that song.

don’t forget the foil

Ron played very well and needs to play as many minutes as possible. Don’t tell @Scarlet Shack how well you think Harper played in minutes 30-37 hehe.

I thought Myles was amazing. Ideally he can play at lest the 28 minutes a game he played today. On a day where the perimeter defense was bad, Myles sured up the interior D in a big way.

Geo Geo Geo. It’s been said all year but he simply was not giving this team the offense he needs to in order to justify the minutes he had been logging because of his defense. @bac2therac points out that Geo did well partly because the ball was in his hands a bit more and it’s a good point. Geo is not a good off the ball offensive player. I thought he excelled offensively when Young was not on the floor. I noticed when the offense ran through Geo (or Paul) and Young was off the ball the offense was bad - but when Young ran the offense in the same situation (with Geo off ball) the offense was also successful as a whole.

McConnell I thought give great D that was needed with Young and Tez getting reduced minutes.

Other than Myles and McConnell I think the defense was sub par at best. But that’s ok and goes to show how important offense is to this teams success.

I thought today Paul gave the absolute minimum needed on offensive to justify his minutes but it was close. In the long term I don’t think 30+ minutes is sustainable for Paul but do think he is a better option than McConnell overall (but it’s close). Defensively, Indiana clearly targeted Paul and succeeded. The combination of Paul and Geo on defense is scary and was really bad especially when Myles was out (Myles was huge today really).

I was also really happy to see Pike keep Mag Reiber and Palmquist on the bench. Does anyone think we win this game with those guys in for a four minute stretch? It has been killing us but credit Pike for making the adjustment.

A 7 man rotation. A less frequent substitution pattern. About time. Nothing more to say. Well done coach.

Tez - the odd man out. Not my preference but to shorten the bench one of these guards is gonna pay the price and today it was Tez. Against a better offensive team there is of course no way we get away with the guard minutes distribution tonight. Hopefully Tez responds positively to this (and Young). Geos post game comments about being better teammates today is telling that there have been locker room issues during this bad stretch.

Very happy for the guys to right the ship. Good job by coaches. This isn’t a “we’re back moment” for me. It was a good step on the right direction and some more tinkering is gonna be needed.

Also, pushing the tempo in transition allowed to get some early shot clock open 3s and it’s crucial for our success going forward and was a staple of start to the season.

Good stuff.

Last edited:
While it was a team effort, Ron getting 12 boards was huge. We need him to rebound. Geo played with confidence. At times still a little too much dribble but the ball was moving better than it has in a while. Establishing Myles early as a low post threat helped us to get better outside looks.

Caleb and Paul were engaged on both ends and showed the intensity we need to win games like this. Both had foul issues but played heady games to remain effective throughout.

JY and Cliff contributed. There may be a rush to judgment on Montez. We will need him and while I was surprised he sat the entire second half, I expect to see him in a more prominent role before long.

As I said in another thread, we checked a lot of boxes today. Defense, Rebounding, Ball Movement and FT shooting. We also hit enough shots and weathered a couple of IU runs. Hopefully we can build on this. We'll see.

Ron played very well and needs to play as many minutes as possible. Don’t tell @Scarlet Shack how well you think Harper played in minutes 30-37 hehe.

I thought Myles was amazing. Ideally he can play at lest the 28 minutes a game he played today. On a day where the perimeter defense was bad, Myles sured up the interior D in a big way.

Geo Geo Geo. It’s been said all year but he was simply giving this team the offense he needs to in order to justify the minutes he had been logging because of his defense. @bac2therac points out that Geo did well partly because the ball was in his hands a bit more and it’s a good point. Geo is not a good off the ball offensive player. I thought he excelled offensively when Young was not on the floor. I noticed when the offense ran through Geo (or Paul) and Young was off the ball the offense was bad - but when Young ran the offense in the same situation (with Geo off ball) the offense was also successful as a whole.

McConnell I thought give great D that was needed with Young and Tez getting reduced minutes.

Other than Myles and McConnell I think the defense was sub par at best. But that’s ok and goes to show how important offense is to this teams success.

I thought today Paul gave the absolute minimum needed on offensive to justify his minutes but it was close. In the long term I don’t think 30+ minutes is sustainable for Paul but do think he is a better option than McConnell overall (but it’s close). Defensively, Indiana clearly targeted Paul and succeeded. The combination of Paul and Geo on defense is scary and was really bad especially when Myles was out (Myles was huge today really).

I was also really happy to see Pike keep Mag Reiber and Palmquist on the bench. Does anyone think we win this game with those guys in for a four minute stretch? It has been killing us but credit Pike for making the adjustment.

A 7 man rotation. A less frequent substitution pattern. About time. Nothing more to say. Well done coach.

Tez - the odd man out. Not my preference but to shorten the bench one of these guards is gonna pay the price and today it was Tez. Against a better offensive team there is of course no way we get away with the guard minutes distribution tonight. Hopefully Tez responds positively to this (and Young). Geos post game comments about being better teammates today is telling that there have been locker room issues during this bad stretch.

Very happy for the guys to right the ship. Good job by coaches. This isn’t a “we’re back moment” for me. It was a good step on the right direction and some more tinkering is gonna be needed.

Also, pushing the tempo in transition allowed to get some early shot clock open 3s and it’s crucial for our success going forward and was a staple of start to the season.

Good stuff.

i dont know if Its fair to say the defense was sub par overall. True that they’re all still having trouble fighting through the high screens and IU was making them pay from 3. But outside of that, I thought the help D in the paint was great today. RHJ was matched up on Jackson Davis a few times and pushed him around. And it’s not like all of IU’s turnovers were unforced.

i didnt based on how we were playing, I dont think anyone can just say after the fact oh i knew this was coming. Lets be honest, RU lost 5 in a row, 6 of 7 and had not played like this in one game..not even Iowa where they almost won.

Speak for yourself

Awesome post bac. Back to basics means that we are 1-0 today. Can we string some 1-0s together over the next 10? Yes we can if we "SACRIFICE" for each other. Leave the egos on the bus and play for each other on the court.

We will do it!

The losing streak was because Geo and Harp - our primary scorers - underperformed. We won today because they came to play and put up the numbers necessary to win. Everyone else feeds off their performance. The success of the rest season will hinge on their performance going forward which must be steady and consistent. Winning teams must be able to count on their stars to shine.

Really thought playing with much longer line up made Differenxe today. 175/200 minutes by guys 6’7 or taller. Thought it was the reason for better D and rebounding

That’s not sustainable though ...but it does through Offers some explanation on slump

really thought this was a 12-15 point win kept closer than it should have been by ridic three point shooting from Indiana (10-16).

Reactions: RU2131 and BOCA93
i dont know if Its fair to say the defense was sub par overall. True that they’re all still having trouble fighting through the high screens and IU was making them pay from 3. But outside of that, I thought the help D in the paint was great today. RHJ was matched up on Jackson Davis a few times and pushed him around. And it’s not like all of IU’s turnovers were unforced.

Ron was good. It’s why he needs to play 35* mins.

man from haters to lovers ---no real credibility---nothing spouted is worth paying attention to

i didnt based on how we were playing, I dont think anyone can just say after the fact oh i knew this was coming. Lets be honest, RU lost 5 in a row, 6 of 7 and had not played like this in one game..not even Iowa where they almost won.
For me the odd thing is that I thought we were going to beat WI and we outplayed them, outrebounding them by 15 and playing great defense, but lost due to the worst shooting we've probably ever had (2-19 from deep and 2-7 FTs with 3 missed front ends - it was at least 3 standard deviations of shittiness) - even if we had just shot run-of-the mill badly, we score 10+ more points and win that game. So, after that, I really thought we'd win at PSU, but we really laid an egg there. And I thought we had a decent chance of winning today and the team finally came through. It's why I never jumped off the bandwagon, although I'll admit I was looking for soft landing places, lol. With the team hopefully back on track, we can go back to thinking about what we need to make the Tourney. 5-5 gets us in, IMO. Doable.

Nice recap and write-up as usual Bac. We all want to see the team succeed and make the tournament and with the league being so tough, there will be ups and downs. Let's hope this is the start of many more ups.

Many on the board are die-hard passionate fans and there are also some idiots, but we take the good with the bad.

Let's try to enjoy the ride.........

Best of Luck,
Groz

I am thinking 2 standard deviations. Have you seen our 5 year mean? However, Our SD probably isn’t overly high because we had consistent suckiness in the past

I am thinking 2 standard deviations. Have you seen our 5 year mean? However, Our SD probably isn’t overly high because we had consistent suckiness in the past
It's about 2.5 vs. last year's B1G games (~31% mean) - pretty damn bad. I'd bet the 10.5% 3-point shooting in that WI game is close to 3 std. deviations from the mean when looking at the last 3 years with a larger sample size.

The game was about matchups and finding a role for McConnell (who wrongly and somehow got blamed for disruption of chemistry) and Mulcahy, who has stopped hesitating in the last 2 games and taking shots when presented to him...(he's still being the focus of opponents on defense but if that is to be expected).

First to McConnell....he made the right play presented and took the shots when there. He hit Cliff, Ron perfectly for a layup and a Ron 3 in transition....he actually clamped down on the post pass to Jackson Davis and stole the ball. He didn't rush to make a play (Jacob Young was a little rushed at times). He had a deflection that led to the fast break and almost Mulcahy layup and Myles Johnson put back.

Mulcahy, outside of one possession where he took off down the middle (led to a 3 point play) played within the flow, took shots within the flow and was steady.

Cliff....what can you say....caught passes clean, played solid Defense...also made 2 FTs in 2nd half....12 key minutes to keep Jackson Davis to under his average.....we don't win this game without 12 key minutes, 8 points. It only takes 3 to 4 possessions where you play Iowa at home and Garza scores late, without Cliff as a backup. Probably costs RU a game in standings with him out.

I don't know about any 1 game that resembled last years flow, pace and feel, like this 1 game did...even at 7-1, it felt like it was a talented roster rolling along with ungodly 3 point shooting...., but Harper at 23PPG wasn't sustainable....Mathis at 16PPG isn't sustainable....Young at 15PPG wasn't sustainable.

The averages of Harper, Mathis and Young all eventually would come back to a more realistic level. BUT you have a backstop with Caleb back (7 points), Mulcahy (9 points), Cliff (8 points).

For the 1st game since beating Purdue at Purdue, RU had a balanced attack. Asking Ron to get you 20+ every night, isn't a consistent formula...Asking Young to be a dominant defender and get you 15PPG, isn't going to be consistent.

The more minutes we can squeeze out of Mulcahy, Cliff and Caleb and a combined 20-25PPG from these 3 players, is the formula that closest resembles last year.

Now if you get 15 to 20 shots from Caleb, Mulcahy and Cliff, you have the potential to win any game if Baker and Harper are hot.

The last key to the puzzle is how do you get Mathis to defend and make the post pass accurately to the post, cut through the lane and move within the offense.....he can just on athletic ability get a step beyond his defender but you can move the ball faster vs anyone with the ball, trying to drive past someone.

The drive in the 1st half, wasn't a bad idea by Mathis, but it wasn't in the flow of the offense....it got slapped away, he tried to regather it and went out of bounds for an unforced turnover....

How does Mathis understand that when you are playing teams who know you can drive, can you drive into a midrange....?? Can you pass to the post, make a hard cut to the basket where maybe you get it back for layup?? When you don't trust that the ball will find you after you give it up, you are outside the flow of the offense.

If Mathis played the game within the flow of the offense today like Mulcahy did (pass, cut, move the ball) Mulcahy had his teammates find him...and he was wide open because he trusted the offense.....and Mulcahy let the flow of the game and defense determine who was left open.

If Mathis watches Mulcahy and Caleb and their games today on film and mimics what they did today, RU goes from inconsistent to very good. Mathis is a better athlete, defender....can he trust the offense....can he play within the system and stay as the dominant defender who then goes back to trusting he will get shots, vs head down drives into traffic....there's nothing wrong with taking a step back and making the defense work.

Pike and the staff appear to have solved the Caleb and Mulcahy roles in certain matchups.....can he get Mathis to get on board, within the flow.....there are bigger fish to fry beyond a win at Indiana....if we solve this and Mathis completely buys in, with his dominant defense and strength, he holds the key.

Onto Sparty and the rest of the slate....lots of basketball to be played, learned from....but balanced scoring and 40 key minutes at the 5 is where RU needs to be the rest of the season.

To start the second half, all 5 Rutgers players simultaneously slapped the floor to fire themselves up to play defense.

First possession IU scored when Al Durham flared for a jumper when Geo went over the screen.

Next 5 defensive possessions:

Caleb’s length tipped a pass that went off IU player for a turnover

Caleb doubles down on the post steals the ball.

Again Caleb tips a pass, Geo comes up with it leading to a break.

IU timeout.

Next possession, RU gets hands on ball on IU player drive, player recovers but dribbles on baseline, turnover IU.

Myles two handed block in the post, out of bounds. Inbound, shot clock violation. IU turnover.

Got to love that intensity on defense start the second half.

Last edited:
The game was about matchups and finding a role for McConnell (who wrongly and somehow got blamed for disruption of chemistry) and Mulcahy, who has stopped hesitating in the last 2 games and taking shots when presented to him...(he's still being the focus of opponents on defense but if that is to be expected).

First to McConnell....he made the right play presented and took the shots when there. He hit Cliff, Ron perfectly for a layup and a Ron 3 in transition....he actually clamped down on the post pass to Jackson Davis and stole the ball. He didn't rush to make a play (Jacob Young was a little rushed at times). He had a deflection that led to the fast break and almost Mulcahy layup and Myles Johnson put back.

Mulcahy, outside of one possession where he took off down the middle (led to a 3 point play) played within the flow, took shots within the flow and was steady.

Cliff....what can you say....caught passes clean, played solid Defense...also made 2 FTs in 2nd half....12 key minutes to keep Jackson Davis to under his average.....we don't win this game without 12 key minutes, 8 points. It only takes 3 to 4 possessions where you play Iowa at home and Garza scores late, without Cliff as a backup. Probably costs RU a game in standings with him out.

I don't know about any 1 game that resembled last years flow, pace and feel, like this 1 game did...even at 7-1, it felt like it was a talented roster rolling along with ungodly 3 point shooting...., but Harper at 23PPG wasn't sustainable....Mathis at 16PPG isn't sustainable....Young at 15PPG wasn't sustainable.

The averages of Harper, Mathis and Young all eventually would come back to a more realistic level. BUT you have a backstop with Caleb back (7 points), Mulcahy (9 points), Cliff (8 points).

For the 1st game since beating Purdue at Purdue, RU had a balanced attack. Asking Ron to get you 20+ every night, isn't a consistent formula...Asking Young to be a dominant defender and get you 15PPG, isn't going to be consistent.

The more minutes we can squeeze out of Mulcahy, Cliff and Caleb and a combined 20-25PPG from these 3 players, is the formula that closest resembles last year.

Now if you get 15 to 20 shots from Caleb, Mulcahy and Cliff, you have the potential to win any game if Baker and Harper are hot.

The last key to the puzzle is how do you get Mathis to defend and make the post pass accurately to the post, cut through the lane and move within the offense.....he can just on athletic ability get a step beyond his defender but you can move the ball faster vs anyone with the ball, trying to drive past someone.

The drive in the 1st half, wasn't a bad idea by Mathis, but it wasn't in the flow of the offense....it got slapped away, he tried to regather it and went out of bounds for an unforced turnover....

How does Mathis understand that when you are playing teams who know you can drive, can you drive into a midrange....?? Can you pass to the post, make a hard cut to the basket where maybe you get it back for layup?? When you don't trust that the ball will find you after you give it up, you are outside the flow of the offense.

If Mathis played the game within the flow of the offense today like Mulcahy did (pass, cut, move the ball) Mulcahy had his teammates find him...and he was wide open because he trusted the offense.....and Mulcahy let the flow of the game and defense determine who was left open.

If Mathis watches Mulcahy and Caleb and their games today on film and mimics what they did today, RU goes from inconsistent to very good. Mathis is a better athlete, defender....can he trust the offense....can he play within the system and stay as the dominant defender who then goes back to trusting he will get shots, vs head down drives into traffic....there's nothing wrong with taking a step back and making the defense work.

Pike and the staff appear to have solved the Caleb and Mulcahy roles in certain matchups.....can he get Mathis to get on board, within the flow.....there are bigger fish to fry beyond a win at Indiana....if we solve this and Mathis completely buys in, with his dominant defense and strength, he holds the key.

Onto Sparty and the rest of the slate....lots of basketball to be played, learned from....but balanced scoring and 40 key minutes at the 5 is where RU needs to be the rest of the season.

this...x1000000

It's about 2.5 vs. last year's B1G games (~31% mean) - pretty damn bad. I'd bet the 10.5% 3-point shooting in that WI game is close to 3 std. deviations from the mean when looking at the last 3 years with a larger sample size.
Wow. You did the calculations

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT