ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 25 ILLINOIS: Crossroads

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Let me first say, I did not expect to win this game and I thought this road trip that RU would go 0-2 and fall to 8-6 and 5-7th place in league and 7 seed after they headed into Nebraska. It played out that way. Mag is a big loss. Yet the Indiana game showed that RU could hang in vs a hot team on their home court. RU had a couple players have wretched games. Today RU controlled this game for about 25 minutes before playing absolute piss poor basketball in a complete meltdown that falls on the entire team and coaching staff. A pitiful 19-0 run by Illinois that spanned 10 minutes. Its not that RU lost today, I expected to lose. Its the way this team lost and handled this and for the first time this year we witnessed the whole spool of thread fall apart. On a big picture the loss itself does not necessarily change the NCAA outlook . RU just finished their 3 game gauntlet 1-2 which was the expected result. RU returns home to face Nebraska and then has a bunch of winnable games scattered throughout the last 6. Its their easiest stretch of the season.

Yet the way this loss happened and how certain players are performing in the last few weeks is quite alarming. The competition gets easier but I am not convinced that the play from Indiana and first half of Illinois is going to carry over in the next 6 games. The program is at a crossroads right now....a fork in the road. Mag isnt coming back. No one is going to cry for RU. Every school has injuries. Its time to start having expectations. I think criticism of this team is fair right now. Cam Spencer is once again an issue. He was non existent today and then benched for a large stretch down the stretch. 2 points, 1-5 fg for 25 minutesm Cam now has had 4 poor games in his last 6. Cam is here to score for Rutgers, that is the bottom line. No breaks given. On a team without Mag, both Cam and Hyatt road pine????!!! How is this possible? Cam was horrid on both ends and Hyatt who should some of our only signs on offense, once again was poor rebounding and on defense. Cliff continues to make bad decisions and his 2nd foul was one he cant make and that sat him for the last 8 minutes of the first half. Cliff then g getting the ball stolen from him and then getting called for an inexcusable frustration foul right afterward with about 14 minutes left and RU up 47-44 just killed RU.

Now Im going to say, if I were Pike why are you taking him out. Bad move by Pike which set in motion just a horrific lineup he put out there....Reiber, Palm, Derek. He took Caleb out at the same time..wtf. Pike a really bad day today and he gambled with those guys to steal minutes and they were abused for easy buckets and were abysmal offensively. Why is Reiber taking shots in our offense...took 3 including blowing a fast break layup. The damage was done more so in momentum. Illinois had wrested control. So while by the time Cliff got back in the defecit was only 52-47 that didnt matter. RU was in meltdown mode. Their leadership from then on was incredbly poor. RU was charmin soft. Mentally weak..petite. It was very unrutgers like. We had not see this team respond like this. Cliff came back in and immediately got his 4th foul. Things would get worse from there with Wolf in and Illinois completed their 19-0 run going up 60-47 and the game was over right there.

The fact of the matter is once again the leaders on this team needed to take some heat. No one is stepping up. Cliff finished 14/10 but those stats are meaningless. He was a non entity on both ends. His defense was poor and whoevers fault it was offensively he wasnt getting the ball. Paul hit his first four shots but then stopped taking them. RU rode Calebs 12 points on 5-10 shooting in first half but that was fools gold. He missed all 4 in the 2nd half including a point blank bunny on a fast break. The ball was getting in the hands of the wrong people taking the wrong shots. RU panicked instead of valuing the basketball. Good lord the lead was just 5 points and we were acting like we were desperation mode. The awful turnovers and shots were maddening. The Pike lineup and lack of adjustments infuriating. The vaunted defense who played solid in the first half, completely was shredded in the 2nd half. Illinois housed RU on the boards in the 2nd half. RU was feeble. Totally outphysicalled for the 2nd straight game.

Lets face it folks. Rutgers is a bad offensive team. If RU isnt playing lock down defense and scoring in transition, they are going to play some bad basketball for stretches. Today was the worst of the season. There are no horses offensively. RU isnt establishing Cliff, Paul is not willing to take shots. Cam is in a ridiculous slump and we have 3 bench players who are forced into action probably not Big 10 level players. Derek just not developed enough for this roll. This is where the recruiting comes back to bit Pike. No Mag and the gig is up. RU leaves alot of points on the table by not converting easy shots but the big problem I am seeing the last 2 game is I do not think this team is valuing the possessions and that starts with Paul. He is delivering the ball to the wrong people and the ball is sticking. He is successful at times but it seems like the opposing defense makes some adjustments and Pike does not counter.

So this crossroads. Where is RU going. They can sulk and let it get to their heads which I fear or they can come out strong at the RAC and dispatch of Nebraska to get back on track. There is enough good on this team where they pick up the needed 3 wins in next 6 to ensure a NCAA and 2 plus a BE tourney win would probably be enough. Not worried yet about NCAA. I will be worried if RU loses to Nebraska. Rutgers needs to do a little Taylor Swift and SHAKE IT OFF......things can go downhill very quickly. I have said this before, every school goes through a rough stretch in league. The trick is to avoid losing games in a row. This is the first time RU has lost 2 in a row. Its okay. Yet I see red flags all over the place right now. The first goal to not take anything from granted so one game at a time. The NCAA tourney is the goal. RU still has to earn that. The win at Purdue can be wiped away if we see play like we did today during that 19-0 run. Schools like Wisconsin and Penn State can and will beat RU if this team and its coach cannot figure out how to handle the loss of Mag and a better way to respond when things are not going well. The veteran team did not show maturity today. Its not the loss today that bothers me. Its the way it happened. Rutgers has played too good this year to ruin things because they cannot find a path forward

e832508a86ed58c905f5e5237408ba1e.jpg

We have been out toughed the last two games post Mag which is also concerning aside from the loss in terms of defense, athleticism, rebounding, and high efficiency scoring that was expected

Cliff foul trouble the story of this game though. Reading comments it's almost like many forgot we were winning this game at halftime. Cliff needs to stay on the court. The drop-off to Dean and Wolf has just been huge lately

Reactions: Unionst
Make the NCAA at 19-13, lose first round to wrap up the season at 19-14

Playing 2 of Oskar, Wolf and Reiber at the same time doesn’t work. That’s the bottom line. You can point to individual players who could’ve been better but once again - the issue is clear as day. Our bigs become a lot worse without Mag able to play with them. Caleb needs to guard the best perimeter player otherwise we’re in trouble there. He’s also more prone to picking up fouls in the paint defending a 4. It’s pick your poison now. I’m not sure what the answer is really if Cliff is in foul trouble.

Reactions: rume and Scangg
We have been out toughed the last two games post Mag which is also concerning aside from the loss in terms of defense, athleticism, rebounding, and high efficiency scoring that was expected

Cliff foul trouble the story of this game though. Reading comments it's almost like many forgot we were winning this game at halftime. Cliff needs to stay on the court. The drop-off to Dean and Wolf has just been huge lately

thats what makes this loss harder for me to take....RU was in control for 25 minutes and then totally pissed it away and quite frankly Cliff getting 2 in the first half might have prevented RU from being up double digits.

The response is what peeves me in this game. I hated what Pike did with that lineup. Pike subbed Caleb out the same time he took Cliff out wtf. Then even after a bad stretch the team down only 5 absolutely crawls into a corner and gets abused up and down the court.

RU had overcome Mag as much as it could in the Indiana and for half of this game. That they didnt take advantage of that concerns me.

This team is offensively challenged to score. We know that. And RU fans have seen many scoring droughts in the past. But today it looked like the team lost their composure during the 19-0 run.

Having said that I believe that we blitz Nebby at the Rac. But the rest of the games are all in doubt due to our lack of go-to scorers. I still love this team but realize that they may not finish the season on a good run.

I won’t criticize our players because we know their strengths and weaknesses. Mag is a big loss but we could have easily lost at Indiana and Illinois if he was in the lineup. I’m hoping that we find more scoring the rest of the way. Because that is the missing element imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
@BAC - I’m sure Pike felt like Caleb needed to rest at some point. He did. 36 minutes is just too much for him and I’m sure it’s impacting his games down the stretch to have to play so much. We don’t have a choice now though,

Why Pike chose to sit him with Cliff out too, I can’t say. Horrible decision for sure.

We probably should have gone with our best defensive line up possible minus Cliff - Paul, Derek, Caleb, Hyatt and take your pick of Oskar/Wolf/Reiber. Hyatt’s defense isn’t good but it’s better than those other 3 by a wide mile. Derek’s defense has been better than Cam’s lately.

This program is just not at the point where it can lose a player like Mag and stay in the top 5 of conference. Not blaming anyone, it just is what it is. Pike will get the program above that. Shame on me for thinking reiber may start at the 4 this year. He just doesn’t have it. Putrid game for him amidst a disappointing season.

Just a brutal stretch in the second half. Some of those offensive possessions were almost comical and they got worse as the drought continued. No one was capable of stopping the bleeding until Oskar of all people knocks down a jumper. By then it was essentially over. As I have previously said our margin for error is small and that was apparent again today. Illinois had about 18 TO's and still won by a significant margin.

How many times did we fail to finish a transition situation where it appeared we should get points? I feel another Nuts lay up thread coming. While we scored many points in the paint, we still cannot finish drives to the basket. Our FT % seems to be falling off as well. Seemed like everyone was leaving the first one short before knocking down the second.

Good teams have figured out how to take Cam out. Either we work harder to get him open off screens or he is going to continue to struggle against athletic guard with length. Pike needs to start outlawing some of these high degree of difficulty fade aways that some of our guys are taking. While I don't always like Simpsons shots, he is the only guard he can create his own shot off the dribble. Finally I was almost feeling sorry for Dean out there. He just does not belong in a game like the one today.

So Nebraska becomes a must win just like Minnesota and MSU were the week before last. I expect a leave it all out on the floor effort for 40 minutes in that game.

Bac
Great recap as usual and you captured how many of us are feeling. To me, Pike and staff need to break the tape of this game down. Then go through it is slow motion to discuss every time they believed a player made a poor decision. For example , “Paul you got to the paint and were fairly open. If you shot it you have a 70% chance of making it. Instead you pass to Derek in the corner who has a 20% chance of making it”. There are p lenty of examples of people missing on fast break and why?- missed an open teammate, got lackadaisical, didn’t go up strong enough.
Lots of examples of not blocking out, etc. Each person needs a detailed report card for this game- what they did well and what they did poorly. Hopefully they will make better decisions going forward.
If we played Indiana the way we played today’s 1st half we win. If we played Illinois the way we played Indiana in the second half, we win. We need a full 40 minute effort.

Reactions: goru7
How about Pike getting out-toughed by Underwood too? Underwood riding the refs definitely led to that nonsense palming call and Pike not stepping up his game to light up the refs during a 19-0 run is poor on his part. You need to show the refs and frankly your team; some intensity.

This program is just not at the point where it can lose a player like Mag and stay in the top 5 of conference. Not blaming anyone, it just is what it is. Pike will get the program above that. Shame on me for thinking reiber may start at the 4 this year. He just doesn’t have it. Putrid game for him amidst a disappointing season.
Dean the most disappointing player this season. He hasn't even been able to contribute a few solid minutes in most games this season. The bar has been set pretty low now for him as the season has went along and he still is underperforming sadly

I was right saying Dean wouldn't start at the 4 and it would be Mag. Also that Dean would play very little 4 and get a few minutes backing up Cliff. I did think he would be more effective in his minutes though

Missing layups and getting blocked going up soft and we haven't seen him knock down the 3 this year either

Reactions: shields and goru7
My observations :

- Too many scoring droughts on this team and for too long of a period. Happens way too often

- When scoring droughts occur just drive to basket and hope to get fouled. We need to improve in this area.

- Bench was abysmal except for Deans first spurt and a Derek spurt in first half.

- Paul needs to be more selfish

- Team can’t afford off nights from Cam / Cliff or any starters offensively.

- Champaign is a house of horrors for us.

- Give credit to Illinois. They played well and their arena is a tough place to play with raucous crowd.

Bench 3-16 and 0-5. This is why it hurt not winning the Indiana game when we got bench scoring. It's not going to happen every game and we needed to take advantage

Where is the bench scoring going to come from?

Just a brutal stretch in the second half. Some of those offensive possessions were almost comical and they got worse as the drought continued. No one was capable of stopping the bleeding until Oskar of all people knocks down a jumper. By then it was essentially over. As I have previously said our margin for error is small and that was apparent again today. Illinois had about 18 TO's and still won by a significant margin.

How many times did we fail to finish a transition situation where it appeared we should get points? I feel another Nuts lay up thread coming. While we scored many points in the paint, we still cannot finish drives to the basket. Our FT % seems to be falling off as well. Seemed like everyone was leaving the first one short before knocking down the second.

Good teams have figured out how to take Cam out. Either we work harder to get him open off screens or he is going to continue to struggle against athletic guard with length. Pike needs to start outlawing some of these high degree of difficulty fade aways that some of our guys are taking. While I don't always like Simpsons shots, he is the only guard he can create his own shot off the dribble. Finally I was almost feeling sorry for Dean out there. He just does not belong in a game like the one today.

So Nebraska becomes a must win just like Minnesota and MSU were the week before last. I expect a leave it all out on the floor effort for 40 minutes in that game.
yup the margin of error is so small. It always was with Mag. So at this point we have to optimize situations. We waste possessions by either not finishing or dribbling to oblivion and tossing up a bad shot. I cannot believe the panic we showed down just 5.

Pike needs to figure out getting Cam easy looks. Most of the ones he took today he was scrambling to get in position, these are not clean catches and shots. I just cannot comprehend how Pike is not getting shots for Cam, making sure Paul shoots. It looks like we are giving up getting cliff the ball for offense besides some here and there

Reactions: RW90 and rufeelinit
They were done last year too and nearly beat us at the rac. That team plays hard
agreed. have to assume we will get their best regardless of their record. they could be playing to stay out of the first round games.

yup the margin of error is so small. It always was with Mag. So at this point we have to optimize situations. We waste possessions by either not finishing or dribbling to oblivion and tossing up a bad shot. I cannot believe the panic we showed down just 5.

Pike needs to figure out getting Cam easy looks. Most of the ones he took today he was scrambling to get in position, these are not clean catches and shots. I just cannot comprehend how Pike is not getting shots for Cam, making sure Paul shoots. It looks like we are giving up getting cliff the ball for offense besides some here and there
If a couple other players could hit shots, it would open things up for Cam. He's much easier to guard when opponents know he's the only outside threat.

Eric Clapton? Great stuff! Greatest underrated great artist.

I thought game was lost from very beginning. Third game away from home in a week. B1G did us no favors. So ridiculous. Where was AD? Nobody goes through crap like RU does but you get accused of mental illness or beating a dead horse. Just as much a factor as lost of Mag. Nobody else gets three crucial games of year in a row on the road in February. B1G saved us but also beating us down. Truth. Deal with it.

Going to again disagree with BAC. Game changed on ridiculous palming call. Officiating matters. Pike should have got a massive T and protected Paul. Paul simply was not the same player in 2nd half. Such a big swing.

We are so challenged offensively. Hyatt missing a dunk, Reiber missing a layup, Caleb blowing a three on one fast break, Simpson missing so many good looks and throwing ball against backboard like a freshman in high school, are far more damaging then the absence of Mag. Destroys confidence and momentum. That was the real difference in the game.

Cliff getting fouls 20 feet from rim is silly. Cliff trying to post up 20 feet from rim is equally silly. Where’s the coaching? Might be time for changes beyond Knight. Have not seen development of Woolfolk. That’s on coaching. Reiber had a nice job rebounding but hurt us everywhere else.

Have to run more pics and screens for Cam. And if game is slipping away throw Oskar in there sooner. Liked Caleb being more aggressive but fine line between being aggressive and thinking he is Michael Jordan.

So frustrating as it was winnable and quickly turned into blow out. I despise three games away from home in a week and no chance to re group and re-coach. Hurt us immensely and hopefully never again with the stupid Garden game and a 1-2 week in a short week. Hope doesn’t bite us in B1G And NCAA seeding too much.

Beat Nebraska but this one hurt as a winnable game turned into a bad blow out. Pike was a bit too passive and not his finest moments.

Reactions: Pils86

I think some of that may be on Cliff. He struggles not to get pushed off the block. His offensive repertoire really has not developed, which makes it difficult to figure out where the ideal spot is to get him the ball unless it is an alley oop dunk opportunity. He must be getting frustrated as well.

BAC- Excellent recap.What fans are watching is the highs and lows of college basketball.Rutgers started the season with the easy out of conference games which were followed by three losses to Temple,Miami and Seton Hall.Injuries to Paul and Caleb were contributing factors along with scoring droughts which have become common place in B1G Ten games.

Rutgers had a strong start in league games with wins against Indiana .Purdue and Maryland which gave the team national recognition .The disputed loss against Ohio State also earned positive media attention.The last couple of weeks its been a mixed bag of good and bad performances.Two losss to Iowa were simply bad matchups against a team that consistently scores over 75 points a game.In many of the other games Pikiell talked about grind out games where there was tough defense and difficulty scoring.

The most alarming aspect in the last three games is that Rutgers scored 61, 60 and 60 points which leaves no margin for error,Rutgers could have defeated Indiana and Illinois if they had limited the scoring droughts .The abasence of one go to scorer was readily evident.In hindsight its rather amazing Rutgers has been able to over achieve with such a mediocre offense,Coach Pikiell has done a masterful job but with the loss of Mag ,the team clearly is not functioning at a high level at crunch time.

I still believe Rutgers will get a NCAA bid and seeding will be dependent on the results of the last six games. The three games at home are must wins and they won't be easy against Michigan and Northwestern.Pikiell must get more scoring from Cliff and Cam or there will be some very disappointing results.

Last edited:
also I feel like RU was getting real good looks offensively in the first half but in the 2nd half so out of sync, our leader is Paul he has to calm the team down. Our shot selection during our 10 minutes without a fg was godawful.

I think the opposing coaches are making adjustments and Pike seems slow to counter. What worked with Mag as a cog isnt working with the replacements. Hyatt gets some good looks at times.

Also our defense wasnt good. So as much as we didnt value offensive possessions, it seemed like everytime we got up 6-8 points, we let Illinois get a big shot. Is that just bad luck

Reactions: Scangg
palming call had zero to do with anything
Can you be more wrong? Paul in the 2nd half? I think it had absolutely everything with Paul’s disappearance in 2nd half. Can’t let Illinois coach get upper hand. Besides the OSU mockery, worst call of the year.

Reactions: Captain Hogleg
What was with that Paul foul at the end? Down 9 and 1.5pts away from the o/u and he puts Illinois on the line for no reason. Strange foul

We played 2 of the hottest teams in the league right now, back to back, on the road. Think you guys need to chill out.

I also take full blame. I turned the TV on right at that start of that 19-0 run.

• Angry
Reactions: RUDead and fatsam98
The Mag item is now approaching urban legend status. RU was not winning either game whether Mag played or not. The more minutes Mag would have player, the less minutes and production we would have gotten from Simpson, Palmquist at Indiana and again Simpson today with 4 points and 7 shot attempts.

This is not a crossroads.....RU is exactly where they were going into the Indiana game in December.....nothing has changed from then to now.

A) Cam Spencer is now scouted and being taken away from our offense...he does not have the attack mentality to drive, draw contact to stop scoring spurts. It is not about abilities, he doesn't have to be the fastest guy to get to the FT line, but it does require toughness and a willingness to draw contact.

B) Paul Mulcahy played as well as we can expect....he took shots when available and was under control.

C) Hyatt is perfectly slotted, 11 to 13 shots per game and hope for the best.

D) Caleb stole extra possessions with defense and steals, taking advantage of sloppy Illinois play.

E) Cliff is fine and reliable on defense, but when he leaves the game, the defense and rim protection, disappears immediately.

What do you expect Pike to do?? Make magic happen out of thin air??

The solution, like it or not, disagree with me if you want is the only "upside " left on the roster.....Derek Simpson.

There's nothing different between today's game and Indiana back in December. We don't have to look too far back....we scored 63 points and held Indiana under 50....but that's not a sustainable formula against legitimate rosters.

If Spencer is not going to draw fouls and get to the line to add points, RU isn't getting much beyond 60. That's not a Mag issue, he is not going to score 15 to 16 points...he's good for a handful of 2s and an occasional 3.

The only other true option that can generate their own offense, off the dribble is Simpson....

The only guard who can slash and create off-script to find Spencer, before the defense isnt set.....is Simpson.

The only guard that can get past his perimeter defender and hopefully find Cliff or shooters....is Simpson.

RU has to trend closer to 70 PPG....

61 Miami
63 Indiana
66 Ohio State
65 Purdue
64 Maryland
65 Iowa
57 (before OT, OSU)
57 MSU
65 PSU
61 MSU
60 Indiana
60 Illinois

Is it realistic to ask the defense to hold Nebraska, Michigan and NW under 60 at the RAC....??

Is it realistic to ask RU to hold PSU, Wisconsin and Minnesota under 60 on the road??

Even if all 5 starters get to double figures and shoot a solid percentage, that gets you to 60, unless the bench gives you 10 to 15 points.

The team speed is too slow to help Spencer find space, to help Cliff finds lobs and dunks.

There's room to kinda experiment, if you play well vs Nebraska......if you can show some poise at Wisconsin. But I don't see a solution that doesn't involve Simpson playing way more minutes, letting him make some mistakes and getting him going.

The Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, MSU road games were losses 2 and 3 years ago, when RU wasn't winning big with immediate impact kids on the recruiting trail....
But thats changing now, but for this year, it's asking Pike to develop a Mag, Reiber, Woolfolk and others on the fly, without any pattern of minutes to develop consistent play.

Don't panic folks, we have a great staff and they will make the adjustments to speed up Simpson and his development. I think RU can go 5-1 down the stretch, if they get Simpson unlocked starting on Tuesday vs Nebraska. Time to let the freshman go make plays.....!!

Reactions: RU84 and tm_nj
The more minutes Mag would have player, the less minutes and production we would have gotten from Simpson, Palmquist at Indiana and again Simpson today with 4 points and 7 shot attempts.
Exactly! You don't even realize you're making the opposing view's point 🤣

Mag's production >>> Simpson Oskar Dean production

Reactions: urbanecane
What was with that Paul foul at the end? Down 9 and 1.5pts away from the o/u and he puts Illinois on the line for no reason. Strange foul

it was stupid...back to back..yeah the guy missed the foul shots, I guess to make the score better but im not buying the competitor bs...just end the game with 40 seconds and let them dribble it out

We played 2 of the hottest teams in the league right now, back to back, on the road. Think you guys need to chill out.

I also take full blame. I turned the TV on right at that start of that 19-0 run.
And a game away from home at the Garden… what other team has to do that? All in a week! Hmmmmm

We can't have Simpson and Cam both have bad games. No scoring from the 2 guard is not a recipe for success

Reactions: RUJMM78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT