ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 8 PURDUE: Resilience

Watch iowa saturday and the sets they run. Outside of motion we really dont run any sort of offense. What sets do we run? We never run any floppy sets which i think are the best sets u can run

No offense but a coaching staff like Iowa, has made a conscious decision to spend the bulk of their time and practice on offense. It is clear to me, they run the most diverse sets of offense that is very difficult to prepare for.... AND they have a very specific recruiting target that perfectly fits what they want to do.

On the other hand....

When you spend THAT much time on offense, you absolutely cannot dedicate the same amount of time on the defensive end. The players recruited would rather trade baskets that get stops on defense.

In youth basketball or basic basketball, there are fundamentals on defense that they rarely do....I don't have the time to explain how inept Iowa is on defense.....not that they don't have athletes that are capable of guarding people, but you can watch them for extended stretches of play and they don't do basic things on defense.

If you don't at least practice defense and solely focus everything on offense, you can do that. But at the end of the day, if you are allowing 90 plus to good teams, is that good coaching??

At some point, Iowa can probably outscore most teams most nights, especially at home. But if you have one off shooting night and you don't get any defensive pressure, don't do the basics on defense, does it really matter how pretty their sets are on offense???

Let me remind fans that Issa Thiam has career highs on 3 point shooting in 2 Iowa matchups, one at the RAC and 2 years ago at Iowa.....Thiam had 13 points in 10 minutes of play.....Harper had his career high as a freshman at 27 points in 30 minutes on 4 of 7 from 3.

I am not saying RU is going to beat Iowa on Saturday, but if Harper is miles better today than he was 2 years ago and Iowa chooses not to play defense, how is Iowa supposed to win consistently??

I won't speculate on what Saturdays game will look like, but if you leave RU shooters open AND, you don't guard RU off the dribble because you play matador defense every other possession, good luck with that......sure, they run a lot of sets on offense, good for them....

Agree with the comments above about what a nice win this was. Lots of contributions that will hopefully build some confidence and increase our depth going forward. The one area that I continue to be concerned about is rebounding. Too many second chance opportunities and at times I just don't see enough guys crashing the boards. They seem to be expecting someone else to leap up and grab it. This may be something we will have to deal with all year and where we miss Akwasi and Shaq to a lesser extent, the most. Because several of our bigs are young they are less physically developed and thus not sure it is reasonable to expect this to change as the year progresses.
Cliff and Harper are two of our better rebounders. Geo and Young are banged up. Mag is a good rebounder and out. Caleb obviously out but another solid rebounder.

We do seem to be attacking the glass as a team a bit less on both ends of the floor. I absolutely love when we see multiple players attacking boards on both ends. When we take the ball to the rim and follow it up relentlessly on offense its some of my favorite style we bring. Dominating the boards is disheartening to the other team and eatablishes a level of physical dominance that gives a mental edge

Reactions: zebnatto
I added a question to the in-game thread, which I guess is not the place for that, so I'll add it here. Just meant for clarification, please. When our guy was hooked and slammed down to the ground (OP, I think it was). They went to commercial and did a review, and it ended up being called a regular foul. I think we can all agree that it was a tad more than that. 🧐
My question is, back in the day when there weren't any video reviews, if a ref ended up being right on top of that type of play and saw it as it happened (which I'm not sure occurred in this case), do you think they still would have called it just a regular foul, or would it have been considered a technical foul? I know it doesn't really matter at this point, I'm just always flabbergasted by the ticky-tacky $hit that gets called (usually on us) when there is so much contact happening on so many other plays.
Another way to ask is, why even have "flagrant" fouls if something like this is not considered one. I know reffing is tough, but c'mon.

Okay, I'm done rambling.
Great win!!

Interesting you say this. During the zoom practice back in November, Pike (I think) kept yelling floppy during one segments of the practice. I didn't know what that meant. What exactly is a floppy set?

This second vid is the set that illinois kept running and beating us backdoor if you recall. These sets just make it easier to generate buckets. Were not doing our players any favors with our “offense” and theyre still doing extremely well. Wed do even better if we ran a real offense imo

My guess with the Oskar throw down........Oskar standing over the player afterwards negated a flagrant.

that isn’t the way it is supposed to work, but that is my guess what the officials were thinking.

Another great recap Bac. For all of the doubters still out there, we are very good!

We need the Defense to tighten up some, but as long as we move and swing the ball around on offense, we should always get an open shot. Couple that with getting out on the break off turnovers(which did not happen at all tonight), we will be outstanding.

Best of Luck,
Groz

defense was bad for the middle 15 of the game. We tightened up when we has to. Everyone wants to see their team play 40 minutes, but in reality it doesn’t happen often.

these are the games that really show you where you are. Early in the 2nd half the game seem to be getting away from us, but we kept it together and did what he had to (defense primarily).

this doubter is really starting to respect and appreciate what we have. Last year there were visible cliques (normal amount). I see zero of that now and I see 1 cohesive unit. Things always subject to change, but I really like the path we are on.

Reactions: Scarlet83
defense was bad for the middle 15 of the game. We tightened up when we has to. Everyone wants to see their team play 40 minutes, but in reality it doesn’t happen often.

these are the games that really show you where you are. Early in the 2nd half the game seem to be getting away from us, but we kept it together and did what he had to (defense primarily).

this doubter is really starting to respect and appreciate what we have. Last year there were visible cliques (normal amount). I see zero of that now and I see 1 cohesive unit. Things always subject to change, but I really like the path we are on.

wasnt it very similar to the Syracuse game...RU up big but let them back in before half, then end up losing the lead and looking terrible as we through things at our tv set and then out of the blue starting making back to back baskets and all of sudden a small cushion that they finish with foul shots

Reactions: Scangg
OP: I’m telling ya...you should have these published...and profit!! 😉

Yes! Come to the light FIG! The sun is shining. The water is warm. The drinks are flowing.

This team is special. Enjoy every second of this season. It will be one to remember

Scangg, you are so right! This team has all the makings of a special season. If Cliff can provide ample help for Myles, all of the pieces will be in place and with McConnell possibly being the cherry on top.

If we can tighten our defense some(we have played tough D when we have needed to, but have really not played anywhere complete games at all on D), consistently move the ball on offense to get open looks(people are surprised by our 3% shooting, I am not, much easier to shoot when you are wide open), make 70-75% of our needed foul shots and get out and go on fast breaks off of steals, keep the injuries/illnesses to a minimum, we Will Be On Our Way!!!!!

We are very good. That is why we only dropped 3 spots from #11 to #14 because the country knows we are good.

So many people here are always afraid, waiting for the shoe to drop and to say, same old Rutgers, looking for the worst things to happen. Well, because we are good and we have interchangeable parts, we will find a way to win many, many games this year........

Best of Luck,
Groz

Last edited:
Reactions: goru7 and Scangg
The magic number is down to 7.....if you believe a .500 record in this conference with a 4-0 OOC is plenty to get invited

You can see Reiber & Palmquist playin with more confidence & therefore looser. If that continues, will be huge off the bench for us going forward.

Reactions: Scangg
Well we really dont run an offense but its getting harder for me not to believe this team can make a run. Theyre a resilient bunch. I still have my questions but theyve proven me wrong more than a couple times.

My concern as ive said since the beginning of the year when i thought we were a bubble team was that we really lack depth and an injury or two could derail this thing. Tonight montez stepped up. 5-5 from 3 from him and 52% as a team from long i didnt think was possible
We've been down at least one starter in almost every game this season. Obviously we were down 2 yesterday.

Reactions: Scangg and RUDead
62c405bf650fb17c8c819d2c6d8eaa01.jpg

If anyone had any doubt about this team's mettle and resiliency in handling adversity, they have been erased. The Ohio State game flat out sucked. RU was up 16 cruising along until foul trouble with Myles changed everything and then later when Young went out, our offense collapsed. I was not concerned about that loss but rather trying to get healthy and what lessons would we learn from going from 16 up to 12 down. With Cliff still out and Young expected to be in the lineup we could be relatively optimistic coming into tonight, however we all got a dagger in our spirits when we learned that Ron Harper Jr was out with an ankle injury. That turned a game we should win into a toss up, a game that RU would have dig deep into their reserve of intestinal fortitude to get this win anyway they could. Well guess what, not only did the core rotation bring it when it counted, the much missing in action, RU bench players of Doucoure, Reiber and Palmquist all played key roles in getting RU out to a good start and pretty good size lead. Mathis was easily the player of the game but each and every player played a role in pulling this victory over the finish line.

Note I said RU was up 16 at Ohio State because tonight RU was up 15 at 38-23 riding some hot outside shooting similar to that previous game while perhaps not playing the tightest of defensive and just like the OSU game this one got closer in a hurry. Purdue went on a 30-10 run in just under a 14 minutes stretch to take their biggest lead at 53-48. RU looked all out of sorts offensively. Tez was pressing too much, the bench no longer was contributing, Painter had made some adjustments and I really thought at that point was running circles around Pike. Things looked like they could get out of control. RU was not in foul trouble this time and that might have been just what RU needed to kick them in the ass. Not sure exactly what happened but RU just started to play like the RU we all love and know. Mulcahy hit a 3, then Geo got a steal and a bucket and all of sudden, we had a flame and off they went. See this Rutgers team is a thing of beauty when they play with purpose on the defense and offensive end. There was some incredible vision in getting the ball to the open shooters, Mulcahy hit another 3 and Tez took over.

This was likely Mathis's best game ever at Rutgers. When he plays within himself, he is an incredible player. He hit a couple of clutch baskets that basically won the game for RU. At 6:30 minutes left, a 3 that gave RU a 5 point cushion they maintained, then a jumper at 3 minutes when Purdue cut it to just 1, and then the dagger at 73-68 with a minute left that put RU up 7. Mathis also had his hands all over the final rebound on the last Purdue possession An incredible stat line....9-15...5-5 from 3, 5 boards, 25 points. Credit Mathis for bouncing back after he had a couple of bad plays in a row in this game and I will call myself out for calling him a me player. If Tez can just cut back on those plays and I think this year he really has, skies is the limit for him. I think he gets caught up in having to force plays when he gets touches. Tonight man he was marvelous.

Boy Jacob Young wins the Ironman award tonight. You can tell he was hurting and it definitely effected his shot. He put in a stunning 35 minutes and sealed the game with his 4 important free throws at the end, hitting all 6 in total to give him 13 points. Not a great shooting night and he did really make a few bad decisions during the time where RU just was out of rhythm on offense. Still he gutted it out and showed up when it counted late.

Geo Baker the soul of the team and without Harper we desperately needed the Geo of old. Geo logged 37 minutes, 7-15 shooting and 19 points, he is reasonable close to the Geo of last year. I have no doubt that his leadership was instrumental in that turnaround from down 5 to where RU went on a run of its own of 27-15 to take its biggest 2nd half lead of 75-68. Geo had 10 points in the last 10 minutes, including 4 big free throws. He did exactly what you want your senior leader to do.

Myles adjusted his game and stayed out of foul trouble. I think he played decent D on a very good player in Williams. Williams went for 21 on 10-12 shooting and no doubt I believe that instead of contesting some of these by being really physical Myles may have held back a bit opting not to get into foul trouble. He had 8 boards, a really nifty steal where he turned it over running the court and a nice looking free throw that really shows he is working on his form. Paul Mulcahy needs some attention because he was the stealth player tonight...His two 3s in the 2nd half were beyond huge and great job by him in stepping up with those wide open 3s. 11 points on 3-5 from 3 and no turnovers, this is the kind of performance that will be a nightmare for opposing coaches gameplan going forward. I loved his game tonight.

What can we say about our 3 bench players. Reiber 16 minutes...wtf????!!! If you told me he would get that much time I would have laughed in your face. Reiber two boards, a nice bucket and a free throw, played his role to perfection. You want him to eat minutes and give some fouls. By far he looked more comfortable than in previous games and really changed my thinking of him. Remember we will get Cliff back eventually so Reiber isnt likely to have many 16 minute games going forward but Pike now knows he has an option that can put in the solid minutes. Ditto for Palmquist who drained an open 3 in his 7 minutes. Its about stepping up when given the opportunity. Doucoure I felt was solid, better than vs OSU, 10 minutes, 3 boards and was able to give 3 fouls and able to do a solid job keeping Myles off the court. Yes not sure his teammates trust giving the ball to him but I feel Dourcoure did better tonight with less pressure to perform.

Lets giving a special shout to Coach Pikiell and his staff for getting these 3 going in practice and then trusting them to fulfill their roles on the court. He obviously has been hesitant to use them but we could not have a repeat of OSU so had to try something diffferent. Then without Ron well that is a whole different challenge. It means trying to run things that get shots for Montez and I feel that RU court vision was excellent at times. Teammates trusted one another and that goes back to coaching. I felt that Painter made some adjustments in the way Purdue was running its offense later in the first half and into the 2nd and I think for a time period he was running coaching circles around Pike. Pike usually wins halftime but this time he did not but what Pike won the war. Beyond everything he trusted his players and they stepped up and delivered. Instead of curling into a ball like they did vs OSU when adversity came, RU responded and went around that wall as Michael Jordan would say. The contrast between what happened at OSU and how RU responded tonight could not be so stark. Answering their first loss without their best player in the fashion they did is just another chapter written in the book of Pikiell's Knights. Just when you thought you knew everything about this team and they have impressed you so much you have seen everything, they do something extra ordinary yet again. As I have said in a couple of other recaps, this team has some pluck.

I am not thinking about Iowa too much right now. Its an enormous challenge given the way they shoot from the outside and tough Garza is. We need to get Ron and Cliff and Jacob healthy because its a game where we need to hit on all cylinders. Purdue is good but they are young. Iowa has the experience and playmakers all over the court. RU will need its best.

IU fan here.

Great win last night.

I've enjoyed watching you guys this past 2 years. This RU team is a sleeping giant right now. When you get everyone back healed, plus add the 6'7" kid. you should be as good as anyone in this league, and a formidable tourney team......good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT