ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Indiana Hoops vs. Rutgers

Boing the refs is fine. Boing one’s own team is trashy classless self-absorbed counter-productive childishness. It immediately marks whomever is doing it as a massive loser.

But sure, other than that, it’s no big deal. 😉
Indiana is a massive loser? Seems like they’re a winning and proud program most years

Stat of the game, offense: 16 assists on 24 made baskets. We shared the game.

Stat of the game, defense: Indiana scored only two more pts in the final 9:50 of the game than I did. Two!

Reactions: Pancho1939
8-seed now, IMO; beat Illinois and we're a 6/7 and even take them down to the wire and lose and maybe a 7? Asking too much?
Too many variables around all the other conference tournaments. Let’s just focus on the Illini. This is the BIG and any team can win on any given night. Go RU

maybe we should have an over/under on how soon after the game starts tomorrow we see the first negative post

Someone posted the first team to 70 ( I think) wins. We could be playing until midnight and Indy still would not score 70. What a defensive effort!

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
we actually played team bball for the most part. Dribble drive to setup others. That’s the winning formula.
Agree. We had open FG looks down the stretch but they just wouldn't go down to really drop the hammer before they gave it away by blowing their FTs.

Read 20 pages of this thread. Game was over by the end of 20th page. Here is a fun fact Rich the dentist did not have one positive post in those 20 pages. Closest he came was when PM made a three. His comment was "about time".
Backtrack came in a close second but he said a few positive things about the D.

Reactions: knightinaz
Read 20 pages of this thread. Game was over by the end of 20th page. Here is a fun fact Rich the dentist did not have one positive post in those 20 pages. Closest he came was when PM made a three. His comment was "about time".
Backtrack came in a close second but he said a few positive things about the D.
I was going to post similar... but deleted. It is crazy to go backread all the negativity about Pikiell and the players.

he should not set up in te corner.. I think he is better up top
well.. that advice did not prove out.. but, still.. I think PM's corner threes are a bit awkward.. up top, across the arc from side to side, PM steps into his threes and shows better form, imho.

I was going to post similar... but deleted. It is crazy to go backread all the negativity about Pikiell and the players.
Early game, I thought we were taking Indiana's best shot and that we were keeping it close enough.. unlike, say, the Nebraska fiasco. I suspected that we'd come back from that.. we are just the better team.

My only complaint with Pike proved moot. I was begging him to call a timeout early to tell Myles he had to stay closer to the rim... well.. the TV timeout was right around the corner and he did fix the D somewhat during that TO to account for what Indiana was doing.

The FB game threads can be pretty negative too, but these BB game threads seem even worse and are completely unenjoyable when the game isn't going well. I've noticed a pattern, over the years, where the game-thread post count rises much more quickly when our teams are losing than when they're winning. An internet-age example of the expression: "misery loves company", perhaps.

I've learned to just ignore the thread in those situations.

Just went back and looked at the numbers. Pikiell did a masterful job with the Myles substitutions. Some guys bitched and complained about myles coming out twice in second half or that Indiana can play their guys 40 minutes. The later is just outright false.

The reason why we won was because trace jackson-davis was gassed!!!!

Here is the breakdown
myles came out at 15:21 (Rutgers up 5), he comes back in at 13:44(Rutgers up 1). EVERYONE BITCHED

9:50 Indiana scores their last field goal of the game. (Rutgers up 1)

Jackson-Davis doesnt get his first breather until 8:14 left in the game( Rugers up 1)
Myles comes out again at 7:54(Rutgers up 4). EVERYONE BITCHED

5:30 jackson-davis back in(Rutgers up 7)
4:27 Myles back in(Rutgers Up 7)

AND THAT IS ALL SHE WROTE

Jackson Davis vs Myles - First 29 minutes

Jackson-Davis--------Myles --------------Myles(+/-)
Points - 19------------Points - 6 --------------- -13
FG - 8-12(67%)-------FG - 2-6(33%)--------- -34%
FT - 3-5 ----------------FT - 0-0
Blocks - 0-------------Blocks - 3---------------- +3
Rebounds - 8--------Rebounds - 8------------- =
Steals - 0--------------Steals - 0 ----------------- =

Jackson Davis vs Myles - Last 11 minutes

Jackson-Davis----------Myles-------------- Myles(+/-)
Points - 0---------------Points - 4 --------------- +4
FG - 0-2------------------FG - 2-2 --------------- +100%
FT - 0-2------------------FT - 0-0
Blocks - 2---------------Blocks - 0 --------------- -2
Rebound - 1 ---------- Rebounds - 5 ---------- +4
Steals - 0 ---------------Steals - 1 ----------------+1

Again Jackson-Davis was gassed!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
Just went back and looked at the numbers. Pikiell did a masterful job with the Myles substitutions. Some guys bitched and complained about myles coming out twice in second half or that Indiana can play their guys 40 minutes. The later is just outright false.

The reason why we won was because trace jackson-davis was gassed!!!!

Here is the breakdown
myles came out at 15:21 (Rutgers up 5), he comes back in at 13:44(Rutgers up 1). EVERYONE BITCHED

9:50 Indiana scores their last field goal of the game. (Rutgers up 1)

Jackson-Davis doesnt get his first breather until 8:14 left in the game( Rugers up 1)
Myles comes out again at 7:54(Rutgers up 4). EVERYONE BITCHED

5:30 jackson-davis back in(Rutgers up 7)
4:27 Myles back in(Rutgers Up 7)

AND THAT IS ALL SHE WROTE

Jackson Davis vs Myles - First 29 minutes

Jackson-Davis--------Myles --------------Myles(+/-)
Points - 19------------Points - 6 --------------- -13
FG - 8-12(67%)-------FG - 2-6(33%)--------- -34%
FT - 3-5 ----------------FT - 0-0
Blocks - 0-------------Blocks - 3---------------- +3
Rebounds - 8--------Rebounds - 8------------- =
Steals - 0--------------Steals - 0 ----------------- =

Jackson Davis vs Myles - Last 11 minutes

Jackson-Davis----------Myles-------------- Myles(+/-)
Points - 0---------------Points - 4 --------------- +4
FG - 0-2------------------FG - 2-2 --------------- +100%
FT - 0-2------------------FT - 0-0
Blocks - 2---------------Blocks - 0 --------------- -2
Rebound - 1 ---------- Rebounds - 5 ---------- +4
Steals - 0 ---------------Steals - 1 ----------------+1

Again Jackson-Davis was gassed!!!!!!!
Good post.

People have been bitching about Pike's subbing patterns all season long. But I think he's done an excellent job. I thought he did an excellent job yesterday.

I sometimes question the exact combinations on the court. But that's about me not understanding the reasoning. Or me lacking some important piece of game-time information of which only the players and/or coaching staff has knowledge. Not about me knowing better at that exact moment because I know that I don't know better.

Players are not chess piece automatons to be manipulated around and be counted upon to perform with 100% consistency 100% of the time. Even stats are not particularly useful in the midst of a game if a particular player is simply having an off game, or isn't feeling 100% for some reason. Coaches have all the information; fans don't.

Doesn't mean coaches are perfect; of course they're not. It's just that, in that game-time moment, a pro coach's imperfect best is reliably far less imperfect than a fan's best, given the fan's lack professional coaching experience, lack access to all the team practices and meetings, and lack important game-time information.

It takes a lot of misplaced arrogance for fans to think, absent the same quality and depth of information a professional coach has, that they can arrive at a better decision than that coach. Except, perhaps in hindsight, which doesn't count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT