ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD - RU MBB v Penn ST , 2:30p, ESPNU, story :

When this happened last year the story was Eddie sucked. This year though we have a better and deeper team than last year but now it is the players fault? We just got embarrassed at home by the worst team in the big ten. Can we please stop with how great the coaching is and how much difference said great coaching makes?

This coaching staff realizes we can't win with offense.

Hence the defense and rebounding focus. That is much improved.

EJ teams couldnt't play offense, but he admittedly made no attempt to focus on rebounding and didn't stress defense. Team is knight and day..can't teach skill.

What another totally out of control layup you throw off top corner of backboard

Must be demoralizing when your opponents make outside shots and we can barely hit rim from outside 6 feet.

Still say they have to run uptempo offense. They have NOBODY for 1/2 court game. You have 2 guys that can push tempo and slash to hoop.

Thiam i keep hearing how great a shooter he us but it's brick after brick after brick

When this happened last year the story was Eddie sucked. This year though we have a better and deeper team than last year but now it is the players fault? We just got embarrassed at home by the worst team in the big ten. Can we please stop with how great the coaching is and how much difference said great coaching makes?
Eddie sucked because he recruited guys like Justin Goode. Anyone who thought we'd get more than 5 B1G wins this year has rocks for brains

EJ teams couldnt't play offense, but he admittedly made no attempt to focus on rebounding and didn't stress defense. Team is knight and day..can't teach skill.
I missed the good defense we played today. The defense was pathetic. Good defense and rebounding against D 3 teams doesn't count.

Still say they have to run uptempo offense. They have NOBODY for 1/2 court game. You have 2 guys that can push tempo and slash to hoop.

Thiam i keep hearing how great a shooter he us but it's brick after brick after brick

We can't finish anything. Run and gun would be a disaster without a couple shooters. Not to mention exacerbate our fouling issue.

I missed the good defense we played today. The defense was pathetic. Good defense and rebounding against D 3 teams doesn't count.

We played 1 D3 team all year, but yes. I agree it shouldn't count.

Defense was fine today. Either way, it's been knight and day from last year, which is what I'm comparing. As I said we don't have great talent.

The D isn't the problem. You can't expect to win games scoring 45 points.

Jordanesque......the schedule fooled everyone. ..pathetic performance thus far with a crowd who gave up their new years for this non effort
No – – YOU were fooled, most of us took note of the fact that we had perhaps the easiest pre-conference schedule of any power five team and one of the 10 worst in all of division I. Most recognized that there were extraordinary problems finishing around the basket in addition to the obvious lack of a perimeter game. Not everyone was totally blinded by their Jordan obsession and their man crush on the new coach. The jury is still out. But what happens from here on merits a little more discussion about the team and staff here now and less about Jordan.

No – – YOU were fooled, most of us took note of the fact that we had perhaps the easiest pre-conference schedule of any power five team and one of the 10 worst in all of division I. Most recognized that there were extraordinary problems finishing around the basket in addition to the obvious lack of a perimeter game. Not everyone was totally blinded by their Jordan obsession and their man crush on the new coach. The jury is still out. But what happens from here on merits a little more discussion about the team and staff here now and less about Jordan.
You definitely directed this post at the wrong guy in Bac. He's been the one tempering expectations.

The ceiling is 2 B1G wins. We're not going to shoot this poorly EVERY game, and I still think we'll steal a couple of home games.

But that's it.

Boy those dreams of finishing + .500 vanished quickly.

Words can't adequately describe the abysmal Rutgers offensive performance against one of the few league opponents where they have a realistic chance of winning.Of course, 17 turnovers and 3/20 three point shooting made this game unwatchable for the biggest crowd of the season.Rutgers has now scored 52 and 47 points in the first two league games which is a ominous sign moving forward to Michigan State on the road.The only way Rutgers had a chance to win was for Williams to score 30 points because the rest of team was sleep walking on offense and he only scored 16 points.

Good effort, good job on D and rebounding but we literally have no one who can make a basket. Williams once and a while. That's if. I don't understand how you get to the D1 level without being able to shoot a basketball since ultimately that is the goal of the sport, right? Putting the round ball in round hole! Unless I have forgotten what basketball is.
Its been the same problem for decades and Rutgers still can't recruit players that can shoot.Mind boggling to watch through the years!

Its been the same problem for decades and Rutgers still can't recruit players that can shoot.Mind boggling to watch through the years!

I had season tickets , first 8, then 4, now 0 from 1974 to about 1985. It's been a long, long drought. I do think Coach Pik is the right guy, but he's got a few years of recruiting cycles to make this team competitive in the Big 10.

Reactions: RUJMM78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT