ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. UMass-Lowell

Terrible shooting night, but I’m not getting too crazy about it since it was our 3rd game in six days.

not all games have to be pretty. that’s a tough and feisty team and playing without two of our better players. Would have liked to put them away when we were up 16 multiple times though

Reactions: redking
Not your best take...

Pretty low blow going after someone in a game thread, but you've always done this low blow.

Whatever credibility you had on this board over the years as a "good guy" has eroded. You're an @ss and everyone knows it.

Pretty low blow going after someone in a game thread, but you've always done this low blow.

Whatever credibility you had on this board over the years as a "good guy" has eroded. You're an @ss and everyone knows it.
People always say shit in game threads - it's what game threads are for. Pretty sure bac would agree it wasn't his best take. I also didn't go after "him" per se, whereas you came after me including calling me a childish name. I'd say you're the one who looks like an idiot now.

That's not the point. The point is we were in total control and around 13 mins just got sloppy, selfish, and lazy on D in the lane. Made the game way too close.
You're underestimating the value of a true PG on the floor. It's hard to maintain a semblance of offense for most of the game without a true PG on the floor. It can make any good team look bad offensively, Cam is a combo or 2G, Derek a combo or 2G. Paul is very important to the success of this team and our offensive flow. I'm surprised they didn't go with Jalen more.

Reactions: RU MAN
The challenge is going to become depth. I like Jalen Miller, but I like Derek backing up Paul more than Jalen backing up Derek as our PG spot.

Reactions: MV9000
7 assists on only 21 made FGs today shows you the difference in this team without Paul. That’s gonna need to be a focal point.

Reactions: RutgHoops
You're underestimating the value of a true PG on the floor. It's hard to maintain a semblance of offense for most of the game without a true PG on the floor. It can make any good team look bad offensively, Cam is a combo or 2G, Derek a combo or 2G. Paul is very important to the success of this team and our offensive flow. I'm surprised they didn't go with Jalen more.
The decision to shoot, pass, or drive belongs to every player when they get the ball. I understand what Paul brings. But he doesn't control lazy sloppy play. Players and coaches do.
It got down to 6 with them having the ball with a minute to go. Should never have happened.
We got lucky a bit and we made our free throws..a great thing.

It's college basketball. There's gonna be some clunkers and we weren't gonna cover every spread by 15 points. Very glad that even without Caleb and Paul this never turned into a one possession game.
I agree. This is the third game in six days. Guys didn't have their legs under them, and it's challenging to execute game plans in such a short turnaround.

The decision to shoot, pass, or drive belongs to every player when they get the ball. I understand what Paul brings. But he doesn't control lazy sloppy play. Players and coaches do.
It got down to 6 with them having the ball with a minute to go. Should never have happened.
That's not luck. You either make your free throws or not. This team continues to excel at the FT line.

The free throw shooting has really improved dramatically. We played a much better opponent today compared to the first two

We were also playing our 3rd game in 6 days, and one man down in the rotation. While your assertion may be true, I'd also chalk up a certain amount of it to fatigue and missing Paul.

Weird - couldn't quote your post, perhaps because it says it's my post - not sure how that happened. Anyway, below is what you said.

"You weren't at the game

Ru led by double digits most of the 2nd half

Ru was up 63-50 with 6 minutes to go

Some bad decisions led to the score getting closer than it should have but i was never worried about the outcome"

Don't think being there matters much for commentary, but despite the big lead we had, we fumbled the endgame, which is inarguable. It was 67-61 and they had the ball a couple of times with more than a minute left - hard to believe you were never worried, at least a little (as a Rutgers fan, I certainly was, even though I thought we'd be able to hang on). Good thing we made our FTs.

We were also playing our 3rd game in 6 days, and one man down in the rotation. While your assertion may be true, I'd also chalk up a certain amount of it to fatigue and missing Paul.

This.

We are eight deep. Now we are six, maybe seven deep. Woolfolk/Reiber was our sixth man for 30 minutes today.

As talented as Derek and Cam are, there is no replacing Paul for what he does. A PG makes sure everyone on the floor in the right spot for each play called on offense and defense, like a QB on an offense or defense. Cam and Derek are used to playing the 2 on the floor. They aren't going to fully grasp what and where everyone is supposed to be doing like Paul does in his 4th year here, as opposed to Cam and Derek's first year here. I'll guarantee you there were plenty of mistakes and breakdowns today all around on offense and defense from the guards spots led to the lapses on O and D without Paul on the floor directing traffic. I'm just glad we survived and won without Paul.

Last edited:
That's not luck. You either make your free throws or not. This team continues to excel at the FT line.
I wasn't saying we got lucky making our free throws. It was an "Exclusive" AND.
The improvement so far at the line is going to win us a few more games than in past if we can maintain it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT