ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers versus Ohio State

pike should not even show up to tournament. He should spend every waking hour finding guys who could actually play basketball on next year’s team. The whole team should transfer except Gavin, Davis, JWill and Ogbole

Reactions: socaldave
Even if you give Pikiell the benefit of the doubt through the Michigan St loss last year, where has the coaching been? He still had talent on last year's squad with Paul, Cliff and Cam. He couldn't coach them up even with Mag out. And forget about this season. Where is the development? The vaulted defensive prowess? Where are fundamentals like boxing out and using the glass on offense? It is just not there.
I'd say the lack of development is the issue.

And this does date back to his best years. Baker didn't show great progression. McConnell, Paul, I think we always kind of hoped they would bring more offensively the next year, but they were always kind of on a similar level.

Cliff, Simpson, Palm's all in the same boat.

We absolutely need Gavin to show improvement. Ogbole too. I'd like to say the same with Simpson, but I'm wondering about the potential for that right now.

Mag oddly is maybe the one guy but he can't stay on the floor.

Geez they shot 50%, us 27%💩. Glad I didn't get sucked in by halftime score and be tortured watching 2nd half disaster.

he’s stubborn and a great defensive coach who has no clue about offense and how to develop and recruit it for the most part . If this season didn’t scare him straight that he needs to change his offensive philosophy or offensive involvement i don’t know what will. And just because Ace and Dylon are coming in won’t make it 100 percent better. Can’t ask frosh as talented as they are to bail you out off bad offensive possessions all season long
He needs to come to Jesus, he also doesn’t seem to understand he has to coach players minds!

Last edited:
What a way to end the regular season with one of the worse offensive performances in the history of the RAC.Once again there was no semblance of a half court offense based on player and ball movement.What we saw was playground basketball without the players that can create and make shots off the dribble.It took over six minutes before Rutgers made a basket .The foul shooting and 3 point shooting was abysmal.

The coaching staff better do some corrective action in the off season because a 15-16 record is unacceptable especially with so many pathetic performances at the RAC.Relying on Bailey and Harper to rectify major flaws in the program is asking too much.

Reactions: BOGDANOVICH
What a way to end the regular season with one of the worse offensive performances in the history of the RAC.Once again there was no semblance of a half court offense based on player and ball movement.What we saw was playground basketball without the players that can create and make shots off the dribble.It took over six minutes before Rutgers made a basket .The foul shooting and 3 point shooting was abysmal.

The coaching staff better do some corrective action in the off season because a 15-16 record is unacceptable especially with so many pathetic performances at the RAC.Relying on Bailey and Harper to rectify major flaws in the program is asking too much.
JM. We can’t make free throws. What makes you think we can make field goals. It’s gonna ok my friend. Hang in there.

The coaching performance this year is defenseless 😂
On every phase every level. Mind Body Spirit!
They should be looking at everything including the water boy.
Pike should skip the big 10 tournament a go to a coaching clinic!

The coaching performance this year is defenseless 😂
On every phase every level. Mind Body Spirit!
They should be looking at everything including the water boy.
Pike should skip the big 10 tournament a go to a coaching clinic!
That’s dumb. Terrible year but come on. Be a little sensible Dave.

Whew. Really glad I only have to do that one more time this season.

Congrats to the seniors, grateful for their contributions in evolving the program, particularly Cliff, Hyatt and Oskar. They all seem like great individuals and I'm sure they will do excellent things in their future.

This is just a fundamentally broken team at this stage, but next year will be a completely different team with a coach that has maximized talent more often than not in his time here. Excited for that.
I honestly don't know what to expect next year at this point with the exception of pre-season hope.
As uber disappointed I am with the ENTIRE program right now I do have to agree with your sentiment otherwise.

I honestly don't know what to expect next year at this point with the exception of pre-season hope.
As uber disappointed I am with the ENTIRE program right now I do have to agree with your sentiment otherwise.
I have some sympathy in that the staff has been trying to navigate an entirely new landscape than the one they found success in previously. Pike lost his entire backcourt in June, everything that happened this year is downwind from that moment. And it's probably hard to motivate your players in a down year when veteran players are (potentially) opting out and many of the players won't be back next season.

This isn't an excuse, other old-school coaches have adapted seamlessly to the NIL era, and Pike has about seven months to figure it out. But this year never had a chance, and Pike has earned my faith in the last five.

Reactions: Knight Shift
nobody asked but I'll post it back up. Here is his scorecard against his peer teams/coaches. This excludes today's loss, counts the OSU game we got robbed as a win, eliminates all 2nd round or better season ending losses and excludes his first 2 years here.

Pike-Team-Record.jpg

Reactions: rucoe89
pike should not even show up to tournament. He should spend every waking hour finding guys who could actually play basketball on next year’s team. The whole team should transfer except Gavin, Davis, JWill and Ogbole
I agree. But the two freshman have to show more signs of life next year.

I can get on board with soul searching lol. Have a nice summer!
I just have a unique perspective, Newell 138 and I were coached by one of if not the greatest coach to coach at Rutgers. Frank Gags Gagliano
When you are exposed to that type of excellence you see how much of a difference coaching can make.
Great coaches don’t have years like this, has me questioning what is going on.
Do I know, I don’t, but my observations of the performance and the result have me concerned for the R they represent.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I have some sympathy in that the staff has been trying to navigate an entirely new landscape than the one they found success in previously. Pike lost his entire backcourt in June, everything that happened this year is downwind from that moment. And it's probably hard to motivate your players in a down year when veteran players are (potentially) opting out and many of the players won't be back next season.

This isn't an excuse, other old-school coaches have adapted seamlessly to the NIL era, and Pike has about seven months to figure it out. But this year never had a chance, and Pike has earned my faith in the last five.
sorry. This I completely disagree with.

(IICR) Pike lost Paul AFTER he brought Noah in and probably because of that and Derick was in his backcourt last season. Spenser was the big hit. No doubt. That sucked.

Fred H. at Nebby plays a 6foot guard, has no true PG on the team, lost two studs, was picked to finish 13th and they are in 3rd. We're in 13th.. (and I am not suggesting we should be anywhere near top half).

Pike is paid like $3.5 million. It is his job to figure it out, and know WTF is going on. If his guys are blind-siding him then he's somewhat out of touch. Losing is one thing. Losing the way we are playing and another year of end season disinterest and is not a good sign.

I'm not nor have I ever been a big fan OF HIS GAME DAY COACHING or his willingness to do the tough things . I think he's a great guy, a very decent face, and I wish him well. I don't have your faith. 5 years and he is what he is.

I just have a unique perspective, Newell 138 and I were coached by one of if not the greatest coach to coach at Rutgers. Frank Gags Gagliano
When you are exposed to that type of excellence you see how much of a difference coaching can make.
Great coaches don’t have years like this, has me questioning what is going on.
Do I know, I don’t, but my observations of the performance and the result have me concerned for the R they represent.
That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing. Was he a track coach? Basketball is different imo but coaching absolutely does matter. However it’s hard to make a silk
Purse from a sows ear. I’ve been on both sides of the coach vs talent question. I do appreciate your perspective!

(IICR) Pike lost Paul AFTER he brought Noah in and probably because of that and Derick was in his backcourt last season. Spenser was the big hit. No doubt. That sucked.

Fred H. at Nebby plays a 6foot guard, has no true PG on the team, lost two studs, was picked to finish 13th and they are in 3rd. We're in 13th.. (and I am not suggesting we should be anywhere near top half).

Pike is paid like $3.5 million. It is his job to figure it out, and know WTF is going on. If his guys are blind-siding him then he's somewhat out of touch. Losing is one thing. Losing the way we are playing and another year of end season disinterest and is not a good sign.

I'm not nor have I ever been a big fan OF HIS GAME DAY COACHING or his willingness to do the tough things . I think he's a great guy, a very decent face, and I wish him well. I don't have your faith. 5 years and he is what he is.
If anything, I think Hoiberg is a reminder that good coaches can have bad season(s). He inherited a solid enough Nebraska program and it took him five years to not have an embarrassing season. Hoiberg also had an entire offseason to scour the transfer portal, Pike was burnt in June.

That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing. Was he a track coach? Basketball is different imo but coaching absolutely does matter. However it’s hard to make a silk
Purse from a sows ear. I’ve been on both sides of the coach vs talent question. I do appreciate your perspective!
Agreed very different and also the same.
Especially the way Gag did it with his D1 college QB roots, Canadian pro football as well.
We were a team in the truest sense, can’t argue with his results and his ability to have his athletes perform to their highest levels.
Not seeing that in our BBall program.

They're preparing to help with the RAC renovation. 😒
There was a mixup at the trade school. They're supposed to be pounding nails, not laying bricks... carpenters, not bricklayer!

Look. I love the R... support the R. I love the guys who put on the R and play for RU. I've just never seen anything like this inability to make open shots... BY THE WHOLE EFFIN' TEAM and on too many occasions this season!! And don't even get me started on free throws. Smh

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I don't know about that. Let's see how next season goes before we run him out of town. I'm hoping this season was just a bad blip with a terrible-put-together team. The chemistry on this team is just horrible.
Yeah, I'm willing to hold my nose and write this one off, but to say I'm not a little concerned would be a lie.

Agreed very different and also the same.
Especially the way Gag did it with his D1 college QB roots, Canadian pro football as well.
We were a team in the truest sense, can’t argue with his results and his ability to have his athletes perform to their highest levels.
Not seeing that in our BBall program.
Track is not basketball but still appreciate you your opinion.

Track is not basketball but still appreciate you your opinion.
Really don’t want to get into my entire sports background it’s not necessary but I have been involved in football, basketball and softball on the highest levels for a long time so I know how it applies
Thanks 🙏
Go RU

Really don’t want to get into my entire sports background it’s not necessary but I have been involved in football, basketball and softball on the highest levels for a long time so I know how it applies
Thanks 🙏
Go RU
I’m sure you’d make a great bball coach.

nobody asked but I'll post it back up. Here is his scorecard against his peer teams/coaches. This excludes today's loss, counts the OSU game we got robbed as a win, eliminates all 2nd round or better season ending losses and excludes his first 2 years here.

Pike-Team-Record.jpg
The data don't lie.

If anything, I think Hoiberg is a reminder that good coaches can have bad season(s). He inherited a solid enough Nebraska program and it took him five years to not have an embarrassing season. Hoiberg also had an entire offseason to scour the transfer portal, Pike was burnt in June.
This is true. My displeasure is not built on one bad season though. Its missed opportunities on top of missed opportunities that IMHO stem from his coaching strategies, player development (lack), personnel management, etc.
He lost Cam..again that totally sucked but he lost Paul on his own. He was totally out of touch with that kid (as challenging to be in touch must have been).
I don't know how he is really dealing with these kids but to me it sure looks like they aren't buying in. IF what is being said about Mag is true (and it damn sure looks that way) and he let him continue to sit with this team and travel with this team then this is exhibit D to that accountability claim coming from the Spenser saga.

I really hope that the guys coming in flip this around. I want him to succeed. I do root for the good guys (to a point).

Pike appears to be coaching at a level way beyond him.
If things don’t turnaround next season changes will be made .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT