ADVERTISEMENT

Gannett NJ/North Jersey.Com With Another Hit Piece on Athletics Spending-Update 7/7--Another one!!!

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Video in link below gives highlights on analysis of credit card purchases by Rutgers athletics. Article is behind a paywall.

\

EDIT-new article published today and not paywalled:

Last edited:
Guaranteed there will be more “ hit” pieces going forward . There already in the past week have been both media and politicians questioning the potential $ 100-300 million Rutgers share. The Sunday tv show on New Jersey politics had several contributors who thought this was unwarranted .So let’s not say it’s a sure thing.

Don’t click on their garbage.

Eff nj dot com and the Ledger. They blow.
This is not NJ.com. It's the Gannett group of papers: USA Today, NorthJersey.com, APP.com, mycentraljersey.com, aka the Asbury Park Press and The Home News.

Of course the hit pieces will be coming the Newhouse kids are going to amp it up because Syracuse is on the outside looking in.
Don't think the people who write these pieces, Jean Rimbach and Abbott Koloff are "Newhouse kids."
Koloff went to NYU, according to his LinkedIn. Rimbach does not list where she went to college.

They were not happy with the $100 million that went to Rutgers under the new budget.

These writers do the same thing on other topics, such as charter schools, and use shady tactics to make it seem like something nefarious is afoot. A critique of their hit pieces on charter schools:

"Part of the investigative journalism racket, at least in this example, is framing news with negative innuendo, in a way that looks damning, even when nothing illegal has taken place and in fact many of the charter schools mentioned in the article have proven track records of having achieved impressive and praiseworthy results."

"It’s almost as if the reporters have no experience with capitalism, in which money doesn’t “disappear,” it just gets spent, the same way that traditional public schools spend money on computers from Apple or gasoline for use in school buses from ExxonMobil."

This is not NJ.com. It's the Gannett group of papers: USA Today, NorthJersey.com, APP.com, mycentraljersey.com, aka the Asbury Park Press and The Home News.

Don't think the people who write these pieces, Jean Rimbach and Abbott Koloff are "Newhouse kids."
Koloff went to NYU, according to his LinkedIn. Rimbach does not list where she went to college.

They were not happy with the $100 million that went to Rutgers under the new budget.

These writers do the same thing on other topics, such as charter schools, and use shady tactics to make it seem like something nefarious is afoot. A critique of their hit pieces on charter schools:

"Part of the investigative journalism racket, at least in this example, is framing news with negative innuendo, in a way that looks damning, even when nothing illegal has taken place and in fact many of the charter schools mentioned in the article have proven track records of having achieved impressive and praiseworthy results."

"It’s almost as if the reporters have no experience with capitalism, in which money doesn’t “disappear,” it just gets spent, the same way that traditional public schools spend money on computers from Apple or gasoline for use in school buses from ExxonMobil."

Thanks. I will correct my statement to eff Gannett and their effin papers. And while we are in the neighborhood, eff nj dot com! Lol.

Thanks. I will correct my statement to eff Gannett and their effin papers. And while we are in the neighborhood, eff nj dot com! Lol.
I understand the sentiment to not click on their crap. On the other hand, as Michael Corleone said:

tumblr_n6e4bj6S3E1tyz282o1_400.gifv

Just viewing the video in the link, they mentioned a large amount charged to Steakhouse 85. I don't know how deep they went in their analysis, but I know for a fact that Greg and Athletics has hosted donor events/dinners at Steakhouse 85. Just a guess here, but those events/dinners are more likely paid for out of the donor funds. That may not account for all of the charges.

But $10 million in credit card charges over 5 years ($2 million/year) is not a lot for entirety of RU Athletics. Our small office runs up close to $2 million/year in credit card charges, and we are extremely fiscally conservative, never running a deficit over 18 years of operation.

Think of all the points RU is earning on those credit card purchases. They may be able to cash them in for some toasters.
We have used our points from the office to buy appliances and purchase window coverings for our entire house. They come in handy. At $10 million worth of purchases, they might have enough points to get a shed at Home Depot large enough to be the new football fieldhouse!!!

Reactions: RU from Jersey
Quick - Call Ted and Josh. I see another chance for a press award.

Seriously - the majority of the public has no trust in the media and is numb reading this crap. It wont change anything - and with Holloway here he may just decide to go on the attack - that would be fun to see.

Quick - Call Ted and Josh. I see another chance for a press award.

Seriously - the majority of the public has no trust in the media and is numb reading this crap. It wont change anything - and with Holloway here he may just decide to go on the attack - that would be fun to see.
That's the funny part, right there. Most people today despise the media and see it as a propaganda machine these days.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Jerry Carino does a nice job on Rutgers hoops. However, I have seen him get salty on Twitter when someone complains that one of his articles is behind a paywall. Maybe he should understand that a lot of Rutgers fans are not going to subscribe/support a paper that publishes so much anti-Rutgers content.

Tough when it involves your paycheck.

Reactions: Scarlet83
A new age of...

yellow journalism, the use of lurid features and sensationalized news in newspaper publishing to attract readers and increase circulation.

I'd imagine that, since the birth of newspapers, yellow journalism is the norm. We may have had a brief era where there were more professional journalistic standards.. but we have returned to the norm.. YELLOW.

Reactions: beaced
Tough when it involves your paycheck.
Looks like Gannett needs some fiscal management of their own...

"Virginia-based Gannett, the largest newspaper chain in the United States, owns USA Today and also 260 dailies and more than 170 paid weeklies in 46 states and it is floundering in red ink.

According to the Washington Post, “Gannett lost $670 million in 2020, and $135 million last year.” As the losses head for a cumulative billion ..."

Gannett bleeding money

"Virginia-based Gannett, the largest newspaper chain in the United States, owns USA Today and also 260 dailies and more than 170 paid weeklies in 46 states and it is floundering in red ink.

According to the Washington Post, “Gannett lost $670 million in 2020, and $135 million last year.” As the losses head for a cumulative billion ..."

Gannett bleeding money
Great find!!!!
"Younger readers, according to the company, often can’t tell the difference between news reporting and opinion, especially online, where stories appear outside traditional sections. Worse, readers often mistakenly believe that news stories are dictated by the paper’s editorial side."

Had wondered what happened to Randy:
“Randy Bergmann warned Gannett that scaling back the editorial pages, which he oversaw for 18 years at New Jersey’s Asbury Park Press before he was laid off in 2020, would be a mistake, telling the Post, “I argued that opinion leadership was one of the most important functions of the newspaper… I saw the impact of the editorials that I wrote at a local level.””

The reason these morons got into journalism to begin with is essentially to be “tattle-tales”. They aren’t true literary folks or even In a league with Jerry Izenberg who pen thoughtful, creative and well-written pieces meant to expand thought. Bunch of babies that arrogantly want their agenda pushed and they have no accountability to anyone. It’s why I stopped reading or subscribing to the news outlets.

Gannett bleeding money

If they weren't a mainstay at a lot of hotels/motels/airports they'd have folded a long time ago. 2020/Covid/no travel, that's why the loss skyrocketed.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Does anyone actually read North Jersey.com??? I don't think I have read an article from there, since Tara Sullivan and Aditi worked there and that may have been over a decade ago.

There are certain topics that you place on the shelf and dust off periodically, if you want to generate some content.....in sports talk radio on a national scale, if you want clicks, you bring up LeBron James or the Dallas Cowboys.

If you are North Jersey.com, it has to be Rutgers sports as their fall-back plan......

Reactions: czxqa
Does anyone actually read North Jersey.com??? I don't think I have read an article from there, since Tara Sullivan and Aditi worked there and that may have been over a decade ago.

There are certain topics that you place on the shelf and dust off periodically, if you want to generate some content.....in sports talk radio on a national scale, if you want clicks, you bring up LeBron James or the Dallas Cowboys.

If you are North Jersey.com, it has to be Rutgers sports as their fall-back plan......
I have app.com bookmarked, mainly for local news updates. Their sensationalistic stories that usually involves Rutgers mismanagement or anti-police stories are always moved to the top of their page.

Reactions: letitrip2

Todd Hunt on Rutgers recruiting is almost always worth the read. Not much else.

Todd Hunt on Rutgers recruiting is almost always worth the read. Not much else.
Todderick is NJ.com

Jerry Carino is Gannett app.com, etc.
Chris Isemann (a Syracuse alum) is the Rutgers football beat reporter for Gannett, and he actually does a nice job covering Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT