ADVERTISEMENT

Gannett NJ/North Jersey.Com With Another Hit Piece on Athletics Spending-Update 7/7--Another one!!!

The article implies that Murphy is "concerned" by spending but neglects the fact that he signed a budget with overwhelming support in the legislature to support athletics.

That they came up with this BS the day after the budget passed shows it's a nothingburger and no one cares.
There are a lot of recycled parts to that article. And the article kind of ends in a weird place, as if there should be more.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
There are a lot of recycled parts to that article. And the article kind of ends in a weird place, as if there should be more.

It's just so lazy. I don't mind if there's something actually wrong (eg Rice or Flood extracurriculars) but this is just nonsense. And they deliberately go out of their way to ignore the TV money. The timing just shows they know no one cares. It's a sad surrender. Hopefully they find something else to occupy themselves with.

The $100 million a year they'll be getting shortly eliminates the need for this dumb article. They don't understand how any of it works. Oh wow you put together multiple spreadsheets like you're a genius, congrats.

It's just so lazy. I don't mind if there's something actually wrong (eg Rice or Flood extracurriculars) but this is just nonsense. And they deliberately go out of their way to ignore the TV money. The timing just shows they know no one cares. It's a sad surrender. Hopefully they find something else to occupy themselves with.
True. But as pointed out, and whether one agrees with the concept of charter schools or not (I have no opinion and have not thought about it and don't care to), their reporting on that subject was rife with BS. Add to the fact that their own parent company, Gannett, is bleeding money badly. Also, they said they made their own spreadsheets. They should show their work. In a different story, another writer on another story reported a wildly inflated number for the cost of an assemblywoman/senator to commute from North Jersey to Trenton. It was something like 3-4 times the actual cost.

The $100 million a year they'll be getting shortly eliminates the need for this dumb article. They don't understand how any of it works. Oh wow you put together multiple spreadsheets like you're a genius, congrats.
Sometimes you have to spend money (aka invest) to make money. Maybe Hobbs could be put in charge over at Gannett and show them how that works. 😜

True. But as pointed out, and whether one agrees with the concept of charter schools or not (I have no opinion and have not thought about it and don't care to), their reporting on that subject was rife with BS. Add to the fact that their own parent company, Gannett, is bleeding money badly. Also, they said they made their own spreadsheets. They should show their work. In a different story, another writer on another story reported a wildly inflated number for the cost of an assemblywoman/senator to commute from North Jersey to Trenton. It was something like 3-4 times the actual cost.

I never read what they said about that but to me the most glaring omission is the $100M TV money from a discussion about revenue.

I don't mind the media going after actual wrongdoing. But their agenda WRT RU just reeks of desperation and ignorance.

Also that assemblywoman is a hack so dealing with her is like these "spreadsheets" you're always going to be missing something.

The article implies that Murphy is "concerned" by spending but neglects the fact that he signed a budget with overwhelming support in the legislature to support athletics.

That they came up with this BS the day after the budget passed shows it's a nothingburger and no one cares.
And the random 6 people who do care will forget all about it by Monday with the weekend upon us in July.

This paragraph, "After joining the Big Ten, Rutgers University athletics expected to be on firm financial ground. Instead, the athletic division has been losing more money than ever. And almost half of its $265 million in outstanding debt has not gone toward new buildings — it has instead been used to cover the ever-rising operating costs associated with joining the conference."

Does this mean over half of the $265 million is going towards new buildings?

I understand the sentiment to not click on their crap. On the other hand, as Michael Corleone said:

tumblr_n6e4bj6S3E1tyz282o1_400.gifv

Just viewing the video in the link, they mentioned a large amount charged to Steakhouse 85. I don't know how deep they went in their analysis, but I know for a fact that Greg and Athletics has hosted donor events/dinners at Steakhouse 85. Just a guess here, but those events/dinners are more likely paid for out of the donor funds. That may not account for all of the charges.

But $10 million in credit card charges over 5 years ($2 million/year) is not a lot for entirety of RU Athletics. Our small office runs up close to $2 million/year in credit card charges, and we are extremely fiscally conservative, never running a deficit over 18 years of operation.
But Steakhouse 85 charges sound more scandalous than charges from Staples.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lazy journalism rehashing the same talking points as the previous article by them. Seems they're just trying to fit in as many articles as they can before our gravy boat arrives. Hell someone has to pay for that 100 open records requests and research. It's being rushed because once the new B1G TV deal is announced this all becomes a moot point. Then Abbott and Jean will have to start doing some real journalism.

Reactions: Scarlet83
a lot of those college loan forgiveness is for veterans that were tricked into taking them out by unscrupulous for profit Universities because they had family to take care of and told they needed more than their GI Bill to continue their education.
High School grad also were misled into taking out student loans to attend for profit universities being told they would be put in a great job once they graduated.
Some even were made to think their credits could be transferred to a state university .

but I agree with you about that article being a hit piece and I expect more to come.
When things start looking rosy for Rutgers , there are some in the media that likes to have RU look
like it's pushing up daisies
Let the buyer beware.

All this whining in these articles seems moot…in the end RU is an a stable and thriving conference and it’s monetary intake continues to go up. Considering there is substantial support from Trenton (finally), this is really not a big deal.

This screams of desperation as the program is finally on its way to being financially stable. Enjoy their tears!!!😎

All this whining in these articles seems moot…in the end RU is in a stable and thriving conference and it’s monetary intake continues to go up. Considering there is substantial support from Trenton (finally), this is really not a big deal.

This screams of desperation as the program is finally on its way to being financially stable. Enjoy their tears!!!😎
This stability is happening off the field as well with the quality of the last few incoming classes.

This stability is happening off the field as well with the quality of the last few incoming classes.
Yeah. The incoming RU class has the highest average GPA/SAT scores in school history. If I applied to RU today instead of back in the early 2000s, I likely would've been waitlisted or ended up going to RU-Camden to start and hoping to transfer into RU-NB by like Junior year.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
Now they just sound jealous. You know lumpy Politi and crew would like to be chomping into some of that instead of eating last night's reheated casserole.

Might be the biggest nothing burger in the history of nothing burgers

There are 84 football staff (coaching + support) in the program, if you divide $450k by 84, you get roughly $5,357 and then if you divide that by 14 you get around $382. So if everybody got food(just on staff alone), wow they spent about $382 each a month the past 14 months on DoorDash. Oh no the ****ing horror, shut the program down!

This article is absolutely garbage

Expect at least two more years of these articles and maybe more. This new B1G TV deal will not get Rutgers Athletics out of debt. In fact the next two years are the same payout as the old TV contract and we still have to pay back the B1G buy in loans.

Expect at least two more years of these articles and maybe more. This new B1G TV deal will not get Rutgers Athletics out of debt. In fact the next two years are the same payout as the old TV contract and we still have to pay back the B1G buy in loans.
Oh boo hoo. Grow some thicker skin if this bothers you.

It's called perception numbnuts. If they can't rally the NJ taxpayers against Rutgers Athletics then it's viewed in a more positive light.
RU can just do what I said to do years ago...buy the 3rd rate papers in the state and burn them to the ground if they want to control the message, which they should do.

Might be the biggest nothing burger in the history of nothing burgers

There are 84 football staff (coaching + support) in the program, if you divide $450k by 84, you get roughly $5,357 and then if you divide that by 14 you get around $382. So if everybody got food(just on staff alone), wow they spent about $382 each a month the past 14 months on DoorDash. Oh no the ****ing horror, shut the program down!

This article is absolutely garbage
That’s $15 per person per day. Considering they work crazy hours, travel for recruiting and games, some of them probably have takeout 3 times a day while traveling. That doesn’t even factor in hosting recruits and feeding the team while traveling. Yellow journalism with no context.

Two more years closer to 2027 when our loan is paid off and we’re on our way. Better days are coming, if the bitter Mens club keeps crying. So be it.
End of the day, we are in pretty exclusive company. Athletically and academically.
If they can’t handle it,that’s on them.
We have a growing and educated fan base.
In time people will see what a joke these writers are.

Ummmmmm......that's not so. In fact we are at the stage where we have satisfied our buy-in period, but our payout is reduced as we pay back the loan.

Here are the numbers:

bKbDuqB.jpg

Ummmmmm......that's not so. In fact we are at the stage where we have satisfied our buy-in period, but our payout is reduced as we pay back the loan.

Here are the numbers:

bKbDuqB.jpg
We took out loans during the B1G buy in, those still need to be paid back until 2027. Perhaps you missed the word "loans" in my post

That’s $15 per person per day. Considering they work crazy hours, travel for recruiting and games, some of them probably have takeout 3 times a day while traveling. That doesn’t even factor in hosting recruits and feeding the team while traveling. Yellow journalism with no context.
The article actually does the math and buried it at the end, along with Rutgers Athletics response. They should be embarrassed to publish this:

Rutgers said the majority of student-athletes who were entitled to the free food spent an average of $22.88 on food deliveries per month in the past year. The DoorDash program was set up to provide $75 per week and the weekly amounts were to be uploaded one week at a time. At the conclusion of that week, unused funds were wiped clear. There were no individual transaction limits.

"Over 14 months there were roughly 19,745 orders for student-athletes at an average monthly transaction cost of $22.88," said Rutgers Athletics. "There were three student-athletes who made limited purchases of non-food items, which was outside the constraints of the program, and those have been addressed in the manner required by the NCAA."

We took out loans during the B1G buy in, those still need to be paid back until 2027. Perhaps you missed the word "loans" in my post
Isn't it interest free? It's more like a rearranging of the payout, being more front loaded. Calling it a loan sounds like we're in debt and paying interest.

Here are the numbers:

bKbDuqB.jpg
Wow! the PAC makes 33 mill.
The ACC 32 mill.
The Big 12 makes 38 mill.
Even with the loans. We actually passed them by. Nice!
I don’t see these guys reporting that small detail.

Here are the numbers:

bKbDuqB.jpg
So for 2027 that figure, according to some of our actuaries on here, could be $100M.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT