ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Bowl should be fun

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
It should be fun at the Gator Bowl for Rutgers fans, who will be making their first bowl trip, since 2014. As of now the temperature should reach a high of 83 so partying conditions should be optimal, especially on the beach. As for on the field, things are probably going to be challenging for Rutgers, though there is a path to success. The biggest issue is the lack of preparation and planning. Wake has been practicing for this game for the last four weeks. While Rutgers has been conditioning, it isn't the same thing. Furthermore
good quarterbacks have been Rutgers kryptonite, especially this season, and Wake has an especially good one. Strong Quarterback play has helped Wake average a gaudy 41.2 points per game. So Rutgers has its work cut out.

The Demon Deacons are led by fourth year redshirt junior, Sam Hartman, who had a terrific season. 3,924 passing yards, a 58.85% completion percentage, to go along with 36 TDs and 14 ints, and a 301 ypg average are key reasons why Wake Forest won ten games this year. Wake Forest's leading receiver, in terms of receiving yards, is AT Perry, who pulled down 61 balls, and had 1,166 receiving yards. he averaged an impressive 89.69 receiving yards per game. The #2 receiver, Jaquarii Roberson, opted out of the bowl game, and declared for the draft. So guys like Taylor Morin (43.31 receiving yards per game) , Ke'shawn Williams (28.15 receiving yards per game), and Donald Stewart (26.54 receiving yards per game) will try to pick up the slack.

The Wake Forest rushing attack is spearheaded by Christian Beal-Smith (52.82 rushing ypg), Justice Ellison (48.2 rushing ypg), and Christian Turner (35.62 rushing ypg)

Wake Forests defense has been giving up an average of 30.31 points per game. This hasn't been an issue, since the offense has been scoring 40 pts per game.

Rutgers on the other hand is coming off its most successful season since 2014. Its offense scored an average of 20.5 pts, while the defense yielded an average of 24. The team trounced Indiana 38-3, but then appeared to me to be fatigued in losing to Penn State (0-28) and Maryland (16-40). It should be noted that Rutgers schedule was exceptionally difficult, as we fell to AP ranked teams #2 Michigan, #7 OSU, and #11 MSU. Wisconsin finished just outside the AP Top 25.

Thankfully, Rutgers should be well rested, but the outstanding question, is how well will we be able to execute. Even if the team was practicing for the last four weeks, we still would be underdogs. But we don't have that luxury. Furthermore, we don't know which draft eligible players will be available, of Bo Melton, Isaih Pacheco, and Olakunle
Fatukasi. Conservatively, I would say none of them. So for Rutgers to be successful, players are going to have to step up, and Rutgers will need to throw and run for 200+ yards. In Bo Melton's stead, Isaiah Washington is going to have to fill the void. Isaiah hasn't been all that productive this year, but he is coming off his best game, where he had close to 50 yards receiving. For Pacheco, Aaron Young is going to have to step up, and perhaps he'll get help from Al Shadee Salaam and Wright-Collins. For Fatukasi, Drew Singleton is going to have to step up, and hopefully this will get him into an NFL camp. Defensive MVP Keshawn Abraham could help if he gets an Int. Lastly Aaron Lewis is going to have to step up, and have his best game, and notch sacks. He was so close to getting a bunch this year.

That said, Rutgers participation in the Gator Bowl is all gravy. So the only charge is to have fun. A week ago, we were looking forward to next season. Now we have a great opportunity. Let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:
In order to be close in this game or win, Rutgers will need to play the boring football everyone hates.

Wake isn’t good against the run, and they don’t have the type of defensive front seven that the better B1G teams do that gives RU trouble.

Rutgers needs to play this game like the Giants did in the Bills Super Bowl, and shorten the game and keep Wake’s offense off of the field.

Reactions: Knight Shift
As I see it the only way this is close is if Wake plays the Indiana and Temple did this year and MSU played last year and just gets sloppy, turns it over and we get several short fields. RU just has had no real offense this year so I can’t see us winning a shoot out. But, all that having been said, the game is won and lost on the field so let’s lace ‘em up and give it a shot. Ya neva kno.

As I see it the only way this is close is if Wake plays the Indiana and Temple did this year and MSU played last year and just gets sloppy, turns it over and we get several short fields. RU just has had no real offense this year so I can’t see us winning a shoot out. But, all that having been said, the game is won and lost on the field so let’s lace ‘em up and give it a shot. Ya neva kno.
Wake won’t make the mistakes Temple and Indiana did because they have talent, and are well coached. We’re going to have to win the game. Wake isn’t going to lose it. Were going to have to overpower them, run the ball down their throat, and Vedral is going to have to hit his passes. I think back to the 2014 Motor City Bowl, where UNC just wasn’t ready for our physicality. Pittsburgh provided the template in running over Wake, and passing well also.

Wake doesn’t have as much talent as Michigan, where we performed reasonably well, so we’ll see what happens.

I'm hoping that coming into this game with less preparation than normal will result in Rutgers coming out loose and playing to have fun. That can sometimes result in good things. No pressure. Just play and maybe get lucky.
The pointy ball bounces in strange ways.

Reactions: rutgersal
It should be fun at the Gator Bowl for Rutgers fans, who will be making their first bowl trip, since 2014. As of now the temperature should reach a high of 83 so partying conditions should be optimal, especially on the beach. As for on the field, things are probably going to be challenging for Rutgers, though there is a path to success. The biggest issue is the lack of preparation and planning. Wake has been practicing for this game for the last four weeks. While Rutgers has been conditioning, it isn't the same thing. Furthermore
good quarterbacks have been Rutgers kryptonite, especially this season, and Wake has an especially good one. Strong Quarterback play has helped Wake average a gaudy 41.2 points per game. So Rutgers has its work cut out.

The Demon Deacons are led by fourth year redshirt junior, Sam Hartman, who had a terrific season. 3,924 passing yards, a 58.85% completion percentage, to go along with 36 TDs and 14 ints, and a 301 ypg average are key reasons why Wake Forest won ten games this year. Wake Forest's leading receiver, in terms of receiving yards, is AT Perry, who pulled down 61 balls, and had 1,166 receiving yards. he averaged an impressive 89.69 receiving yards per game. The #2 receiver, Jaquarii Roberson, opted out of the bowl game, and declared for the draft. So guys like Taylor Morin (43.31 receiving yards per game) , Ke'shawn Williams (28.15 receiving yards per game), and Donald Stewart (26.54 receiving yards per game) will try to pick up the slack.

The Wake Forest rushing attack is spearheaded by Christian Beal-Smith (52.82 rushing ypg), Justice Ellison (48.2 rushing ypg), and Christian Turner (35.62 rushing ypg)

Wake Forests defense has been giving up an average of 30.31 points per game. This hasn't been an issue, since the offense has been scoring 40 pts per game.

Rutgers on the other hand is coming off its most successful season since 2014. Its offense scored an average of 20.5 pts, while the defense yielded an average of 24. The team trounced Indiana 38-3, but then appeared to me to be fatigued in losing to Penn State (0-28) and Maryland (16-40). It should be noted that Rutgers schedule was exceptionally difficult, as we fell to AP ranked teams #2 Michigan, #7 OSU, and #11 MSU. Wisconsin finished just outside the AP Top 25.

Thankfully, Rutgers should be well rested, but the outstanding question, is how well will we be able to execute. Even if the team was practicing for the last four weeks, we still would be underdogs. But we don't have that luxury. Furthermore, we don't know which draft eligible players will be available, of Bo Melton, Isaih Pacheco, and Olakunle
Fatukasi. Conservatively, I would say none of them. So for Rutgers to be successful, players are going to have to step up, and Rutgers will need to throw and run for 200+ yards. In Bo Melton's stead, Isaiah Washington is going to have to fill the void. Isaiah hasn't been all that productive this year, but he is coming off his best game, where he had close to 50 yards receiving. For Pacheco, Aaron Young is going to have to step up, and perhaps he'll get help from Al Shadee Salaam and Wright-Collins. For Fatukasi, Drew Singleton is going to have to step up, and hopefully this will get him into an NFL camp. Defensive MVP Keshawn Abraham could help if he gets an Int. Lastly Aaron Lewis is going to have to step up, and have his best game, and notch sacks. He was so close to getting a bunch this year.

That said, Rutgers participation in the Gator Bowl is all gravy. So the only charge is to have fun. A week ago, we were looking forward to next season. Now we have a great opportunity. Let the chips fall where they may.
Now that's the intelligent and knowledgeable Al I've known and loved for the last 15 years vs ’Upset Alert Al'. Nice analysis pal and have a great time in JAX!!

Wake won’t make the mistakes Temple and Indiana did because they have talent, and are well coached. We’re going to have to win the game. Wake isn’t going to lose it. Were going to have to overpower them, run the ball down their throat, and Vedral is going to have to hit his passes. I think back to the 2014 Motor City Bowl, where UNC just wasn’t ready for our physicality. Pittsburgh provided the template in running over Wake, and passing well also.

Wake doesn’t have as much talent as Michigan, where we performed reasonably well, so we’ll see what happens.
I agree with you. That is why I believe we will have trouble beating them. They are a very good offensive team and if they don’t make mistakes we will have a hard time holding up. I hope we do, but what my heart says is one thing, my head says something else.

I agree with you. That is why I believe we will have trouble beating them. They are a very good offensive team and if they don’t make mistakes we will have a hard time holding up. I hope we do, but what my heart says is one thing, my head says something else.
Our best chance of winning is taking the initiative, running the ball, rushing the passer, and hitting our playaction shots when opportunities arise

Reactions: RURollShot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT