ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Griffiths to Nebraska

Pike better hope he doesn’t do anything there
Gavin was playing decently over the past month. He took his lumps as a freshman, Pike coached him up, and then he left. I’m sure he’ll do great at Nebraska now, and all the Pike haters will have plenty of ammunition.

I’d like his quotes on the Jumbotron before the game. As a reminder.
Paraphrasing:
I’m never going to transfer.
Even when it gets hard.
I’m never going to leave. I’m not that kind of person.
Boooooooooooooooooo
Yeah yeah yeah. He was 17 when he said it. Kids make mistakes. Things change. Blah blah blah.
Your word is your word. You better explain it to us then. Take out the ad in the daily Targum (if that’s still around).
Otherwise, life lesson, people will be very upset when you go back on your very definitive word.
Boooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Reactions: Kbee3
I’d like his quotes on the Jumbotron before the game. As a reminder.
Paraphrasing:
I’m never going to transfer.
Even when it gets hard.
I’m never going to leave. I’m not that kind of person.
Boooooooooooooooooo
Yeah yeah yeah. He was 17 when he said it. Kids make mistakes. Things change. Blah blah blah.
Your word is your word. You better explain it to us then. Take out the ad in the daily Targum (if that’s still around).
Otherwise, life lesson, people will be very upset when you go back on your very definitive word.
Boooooooooooooooooo!!!!
Booo! Send him to the dungeon.

• Haha
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think it’s that his speech about not being a portal guy and that’s not him he is here at Rutgers. Then to add more, he transfers to another B1G school.
The fact that he stayed in the big is going to bother people for sure as it should!!!

Him leaving was best for him and RU.

Why would I be upset at someone I wanted to move on from RU? He gets no extra booing from me.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Why?? You don't even know Pike. More than likely he'd say good for Gavin. You've got to be pretty silly if you tie any of Gavin 's success to something Pike should fear. Crazy.
If Gavin does well at Neb then I think that says a lot about Pike

Not really - by the end of the season Gavin had already made strides. His issue was primarily that he wasn’t ready for the competition. The jump from freshman to sophomore is usually the biggest these days. Ignorant people might infer something from it but not knowledgeable fans.

ha

hate players that screwed us after WE GAVE THEM A CHANCE!

That’s a pretty harsh take.

You feel personally “screwed” because he came here and decided it wasn’t the best fit? Ok.

I wish him luck. Different strokes for different folks.

Two basic tendencies about human nature are at work.

1. Some think life is zero-sum, win-lose. It doesn't have to be. Gavin can find more success at Nebraska, and Rutgers can have a historic 24-25. It can be a win-win.
2. Some, instead of examining their own failings, need to project their failings onto others. Hence the hate, which is really hatred for themselves.

Someone mired in these mental traps is the miserable loser, not Gavin.

Boom! 👍👍

Reactions: coldsprings
You underestimate the RAC crowd. In the 90's - rowdily chanting "S A T" in unison every time Luthor Wright from SHU touched the ball. RAC is a hostile place for the opposition and a thunderous place for the home team. Next year hopefully the frenzy will be even crazier. I can also hope Nebraska is slated to play at the RAC.
Another example, the RAC shouting “Hodge can’t read!” on his return for Temple after first being declared academically ineligible.

However, the standard bearer remains the reception Troy Murphy received after spurning his home state for ND. Hands down the most hostile reception the RAC ever had for a visiting player.

Sounds like you're salivating for that to happen. In my world things are much more nuanced than to point praise or blame on any one thing. For instance maybe Gavin just needs to grow up and gets better with maturity. Whatever the case, a guy leaving at a time when significant talent is coming on to the roster makes me wonder what his priorities are at this point. Players who are all about "ME" either need to be transcendent or they will likely not help the team's chances of success.

Another example, the RAC shouting “Hodge can’t read!” on his return for Temple after first being declared academically ineligible.

However, the standard bearer remains the reception Troy Murphy received after spurning his home state for ND. Hands down the most hostile reception the RAC ever had for a visiting player.
and Rashod Kent playing the defensive game of his life

Reactions: Scarlet83 and RW90
ha

hate players that screwed us after WE GAVE THEM A CHANCE!
I get what you are saying. I was pissed and really disappointed in GG at first.

But Gavin opened up a roster slot that Pike and staff crushed with much, much better portal transfers with proven success, leadership qualities and an appreciation of our opportunity this year.

We win and GG is in our rear view mirror getting smaller everyday.

I want to think most of the RU fanbase doesn't think about how hard they will boo a player who didn't act in accordance with their demands on how he should live his life.

If I'm wrong, then Gavin was correct in choosing to play for Nebraska's less "sophisticated" fans.

You people are dreaming. It will be used to negatively recruit against Rutgers.

You people are dreaming. It will be used to negatively recruit against Rutgers.
I took a glance at your recent posts. Wow. Very troll-like posts.

In just about all of them, you go out of your way to make up stupid Pike-hater BS.

Kinda what trolls do.

Last edited:
Reactions: knight82
Why would Pike care in the slightest?

Very very few people will care either way beyond this message board

As we all know - transferring is epidemic in college basketball. So a player transfers out of RU and succeeds at another program and that will make RU look bad?!?!?

Almost every team in college basketball has massive roster turnover every year now - yet only RU will be made to look bad if it’s transfer-outs play well?!? What is the logic?

he is one of hundreds of kids transferring- whether he performs well or not at nebby won’t make a friggin ripple outside of this message board

Very very few people will care either way beyond this message board

As we all know - transferring is epidemic in college basketball. So a player transfers out of RU and succeeds at another program and that will make RU look bad?!?!?

Almost every team in college basketball has massive roster turnover every year now - yet only RU will be made to look bad if it’s transfer-outs play well?!? What is the logic?

he is one of hundreds of kids transferring- whether he performs well or not at nebby won’t make a friggin ripple outside of this message board
Exactly! You make too much sense!

I don't understand all the hate on here for Gavin.
I just think the kid realized that the system we run isn't good for him . He's got to look out for himself , none of the fans here are going to make or break his life but his decision might.
I have a kid that played at RU for 4 years in another sport and no one here loves RU anymore then me. I told my son he should transfer out after his freshman year.
He started every game but one his freshman year so it was not about sour grapes
Both of us knew that the style of play was no good for him at RU.
He loved the school and stayed at RU
He started every game but2 during his career at RU
I still think he should have transfered out
Even though he loved RU

A couple things that have ignited the fanbase against Gavin:

1) He is on record for stating that he will never transfer. In today’s college world we should never believe those words from any kid but he stuck his neck out with this statement and transfers within a year. Real weak move.

2) A suspicious poster (family member or close friend) was on here shortly before Gavin announced his transfer talking about how misused he was by the coaching staff and how he didn’t get a fair shake. Blame was pointed everywhere except within by this poster. Real weak mindset.

When Gavin re-enters the RAC he should be treated just like any other opposing kid would be treated. If fans want to give him some extra boo’ing or heckling then so be it - college sports is a business and with NIL and the transfer portal it should be fair game to boo / heckle any of these kids.

They want the real world / professional treatment don’t they?

A couple things that have ignited the fanbase against Gavin:

1) He is on record for stating that he will never transfer. In today’s college world we should never believe those words from any kid but he stuck his neck out with this statement and transfers within a year. Real weak move.

2) A suspicious poster (family member or close friend) was on here shortly before Gavin announced his transfer talking about how misused he was by the coaching staff and how he didn’t get a fair shake. Blame was pointed everywhere except within by this poster. Real weak mindset.

When Gavin re-enters the RAC he should be treated just like any other opposing kid would be treated. If fans want to give him some extra boo’ing or heckling then so be it - college sports is a business and with NIL and the transfer portal it should be fair game to boo / heckle any of these kids.

They want the real world / professional treatment don’t they?
In fairness to #1 what is he supposed to say
In fairness to #2 we can't hold a player based on what others say on message board

Despite what I have said about Gavin's game I like the guy and want to see him succeed. I defintely don't have ill will and I defintely won't be booing him (at least I say that now)

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
In fairness to #2 we can't hold a player based on what others say on message board

Despite what I have said about Gavin's game I like the guy and want to see him succeed. I defintely don't have ill will and I defintely won't be booing him (at least I say that now)

For #1 - sometimes it’s best not to say anything. Obviously he was really young, never thought he would transfer and things can quickly change - but I’ve seen that quote plastered all over Twitter so it’s definitely fueling the fanbase against him.

For #2 - good point but unfortunately people will just assume Gavin felt the same. A lot of posters will probably forget about this by next year but it’s added some more fuel imo.

Most of my boo’ing / heckling is for terrible officiating but I’m more open to shifting this energy towards opposing teams / players mostly because college sports (especially football and basketball) is essentially semi professional sports now.

He could have said nothing.

I want to think most of the RU fanbase doesn't think about how hard they will boo a player who didn't act in accordance with their demands on how he should live his life.

If I'm wrong, then Gavin was correct in choosing to play for Nebraska's less "sophisticated" fans.

I think it’s very healthy and a sign of mental stability to have a grudge against a 19 year old who said something innocuous about his commitment to the school when he was 18 and now he is not backing that up. Don’t you look to have beefs with total strangers who have zero impact on your life?

Get with the times man! 😊

Nice that there are a few normal responses to this “situation” that has no impact on any of the posters.

EDIT: I should have said it’s nice that there are a few rational responses. It is now normal to live life finding random things to be aggrieved about - but that is not actually rational.

Nice that there are a few normal responses to this “situation” that has no impact on any of the posters.

EDIT: I should have said it’s nice that there are a few rational responses. It is now normal to live life finding random things to be aggrieved about - but that is not actually rational.

It's fandom, there's nothing rational about it.

It's perfectly fine for fans to have a "villain" on the other team to root against. Xavier Johnson, Hunter Dickinson, Keisei Tominaga, Jordan Bohannon, Moussa Diabate, Brad Davison, Luka Garza, Matt Haarms, ... or going further back guys like Herb Pope, Khalid El Amin, Troy Murphy, Gerry McNamara, Eric Devendorf... or coaches like Juwan Howard, Fran McCaffery, Jim Boeheim, Bobby Gonzalez, Geno Auriemma, etc..

They can boo a player every time he touches the ball for countless things. I mean, fans can turn on a player mid-game for shooting an airball - and will chant "airball" all night.

When Nebraska rolls into the RAC, I'm sure there will be a little more juice against Griffiths than against any other random player - and that's natural. There was a ton of hype around him coming in, he made the comments he made, and the fanbase was extra supportive of him at home all year any time he made a three - not hard to imagine that positive energy turning on him.

Of course, Nebraska might not even have an away game at the RAC next year, and there's no telling if he'll even still be a Cornhusker in 2025-26 if he again seeks greener pastures. So it may all be moot anyway.

We played Nebraska at home this year...I remember because Tominaga told us to be quiet. We aren't playing them twice next year so won't it be close to 100% we dont play them at the RAC next year

• Haha
We played Nebraska at home this year...I remember because Tominaga told us to be quiet. We aren't playing them twice next year so won't it be close to 100% we dont play them at the RAC next year
The "hope" is the schedule gets reconfigured because of expansion. But yes, they have been to the RAC two years in a row now. We went out there this year, but not the year before. So in theory we're due a return visit to Lincoln.

If he stays at Nebraska two years though he'll definitely be back at some point.

The "hope" is the schedule gets reconfigured because of expansion. But yes, they have been to the RAC two years in a row now. We went out there this year, but not the year before. So in theory we're due a return visit to Lincoln.

If he stays at Nebraska two years though he'll definitely be back at some point.
Watch us play Nebraska in 2025-2026 at MSG...that would be a kick in the nads

• Haha
Reactions: fluoxetine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT