ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker - Three games in

Played 36 minutes, way too much. Especially considering it was Drexel in November.

HOWEVER.....I'd do the exact same thing if I were Pikiell.

As far as the talk of Geo not being our point guard.............

The Drexel guard Wynter played 39 out of 40 minutes.

35 to 36 minutes was good, tough basketball and there were a handful (probably 10 to 12 possessions) where Baker didn't bring the ball up....it was Mulcahy, McConnell or Young.

While 36 is a high amount of minutes, not bringing the ball up each possession is much easier than having to do that each time.

I don't think this was anything else other than finding minutes off the ball for Baker when Mathis comes off the court. The ability of the other 3 guards and Harper even helped break the press late, makes his minute total, a little deceiving.

Baker got his "scheduled" rest minutes in half 1.

Half 2
12:43 Baker comes out
Mulcahy turnover
Mathis turnover
11:24 Baker comes back in

Pikiell does not trust us without him in there.

What I am hoping to see is consistency game to game. Not GREAT Baker one game then no Baker the next (and I am not saying that what we've seen so far this year).

What am I impressed with so far this year vs. my prior concerns? 1) his on ball defense. we'll see what happens when bigger B1G guards come to play but so far wow. 2) his leadership. He really stepped it up last night when needed and he led by example. Wanted the ball and delivered.

What I am hoping to see is consistency game to game. Not GREAT Baker one game then no Baker the next (and I am not saying that what we've seen so far this year).

What am I impressed with so far this year vs. my prior concerns? 1) his on ball defense. we'll see what happens when bigger B1G guards come to play but so far wow. 2) his leadership. He really stepped it up last night when needed and he led by example. Wanted the ball and delivered.

#2 has always been there.....I saw #1 last night.

Until a steady hand emerges Baker has SIGNIFICANT value as our "point guard" We saw signs of last year with Pikiell refusing to take him his scheduled 2nd half rest.

#2 has always been there.....I saw #1 last night.

Until a steady hand emerges Baker has SIGNIFICANT value as our "point guard" We saw signs of last year with Pikiell refusing to take him his scheduled 2nd half rest.

Plenty of examples of #2 but not a consistent #2 IMHO. Clearly Pike leans on him and I understand why.

Reactions: dkostus
I like how Pike spread the floor at the end leaving the lane wide open for Baker to take it to the hole.

I like how Pike spread the floor at the end leaving the lane wide open for Baker to take it to the hole.
I actually hated it......although liked it when Baker sliced thru the lane and dunked.

With 4 minutes left and only up 2 possessions it is very telling of where Pikiell's mind is at.

Good news it is November 13-14th, our non Baker perimeter players, in the half court, have a ways to go.

1 for 10 from three point range against teams not named Niagara. Shooting 34% from the field against teams not named Niagara. Drexel and Bryant aren't exactly elite teams and they were able to contain him. People seem determined to see him as a great player. In the end, he's not bad, but seriously, on one of the better teams he comes off the bench.

Reactions: ruready07
1 for 10 from three point range against teams not named Niagara. Shooting 34% from the field against teams not named Niagara. Drexel and Bryant aren't exactly elite teams and they were able to contain him. People seem determined to see him as a great player. In the end, he's not bad, but seriously, on one of the better teams he comes off the bench.
I'm sure you're aware that isolating any two games out of a 3 game series can be used to manipulate statistics. You have a 2 year plus 3 games sample set if you want to comment. This kid has won us 2 of the 3 games Rutgers has won to be undefeated this year. Maybe STFU.

You guys were using one game to hype Geo stats. Your argument fails when you point out I used 2. Geo is a decent college player. Not a great one. I apologize for hurting your feelings by pointing that out. I hope you feel better soon.

You guys were using one game to hype Geo stats. Your argument fails when you point out I used 2. Geo is a decent college player. Not a great one. I apologize for hurting your feelings by pointing that out. I hope you feel better soon.
I hope YOU feel better soon.

Ok, I was a big critic last year. But talk about selective numbers. Ill get back later with his blocks, TOs, foul shooting, rebounding, and assists thru 3 games later. Or you can just look them up.

I agree, but I’d definitely take another one of him on the team.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Geo is a VERY GOOD college player. He’s a guy that WANTS the ball in crunch time and he delivers far more often than not. I’d take him any day on any team I was building.

I also suspect he’s a tad bit better of a college athlete than you were/are.

Wow, does anyone think Geo is a great college player. I’d say “good” or “solid.” It would be terrific if within a B1G context he elevated to “excellent.” He’s already an excellent team mate and leader.

A leader. Doing everything for us. Said this when he was a freshman that he will go down as a legend for us. Will take us to the promised land.

I like what i see from Geo this far. I love he is our go to guy. The one criticism is the shooting percentage needs to be better. RU played schools who are predicted as bottom feeders in their league. Id like to see more of those shots fall

I like what i see from Geo this far. I love he is our go to guy. The one criticism is the shooting percentage needs to be better. RU played schools who are predicted as bottom feeders in their league. Id like to see more of those shots fall

I don't see his shooting a function of who we play. Missing open shots is missing open shots. The 3 line is back a bit. I feel it will come. He looks a ton more confident driving, his mid range step back is going to be fine. He just needs to start draining 3s a bit More consistently. I do not believe he's a high 30s low 40s guy. But that does not have to be his game.

Reactions: RUPete
One of the announcers, believe in the Niagara game, mentioned that in the offseason Geo watched as much video of Cassius Winston as he could.

and there we go. Game 4. Geo takes 11 shots. 10 of them from 3. Didn't draw a single foul shot and didn't get a single rebound. Nowhere near the basket. 33 minutes. This is the Bad Geo - Good Geo I continue to watch.
Leadership? Not this game . Just hanging out.

Geo is clutch. Problem is that there are too many games where he goes on a bad shooting streak when it's not crunch time.

The discussion of Baker must be viewed in the context of the other players on the court.Poor shooting puts added pressure on Baker to over achieve by taking ill advised shots.My concern with Baker is that he disappears from the offense for long periods of time and there are no other players on the court to make baskets on a consistent basis.The case in point was in the first half when St.Bonaventure went on a scoring spurt resulting in a 19 point lead and Rutgers was never able to catch up.

Reactions: Unionst
I hope we are not restarting the debunked Geo is tired and playing too many minutes nonsense again.
Geo is fine. I would just like him to fall a little out of love with the 3-point shot. After 4 games, 55% of his shots are 3's, and he's only shooting .280. He's shooting .650 from 2. Also, when shooting 3's, he's not getting fouled. Last year, his shooting % (.741) from the line was 2nd only to that of Caleb. He was also 3rd on the team in free throws attempted. This year, he's shooting .857 from the line, but has only taken 7 free throws. That makes him 7th on the team in free throws attempted.

There's no reason to believe that by the end of this season he won't be shooting at or near .341 from 3 as he did last year - I hope.

With Young a viable option at the point, wouldn't mind seeing Gio as the shooting guard. Caleb and Harper at forward and Johnson at Center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT