ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker

If NCAA athletes get some sort of revenue sharing, does Title IX dictate that female athletes get the same as male?
Would the current court overturn or clarify the legal extent of Title IX?
Title IX, generally speaking, says schools that take federal money must treat men and women similarly in their athletics departments. Specifically, it says financial assistance (scholarships) must be similar and benefits and treatment in other components (equipment, travel expenses, locker rooms, etc) must be similar. That has generally shaken out as ... if a school gives out $250k in athletics scholarships to men, it needs to be pretty damn close to the amount given to women.

How does that apply to NIL? NIL isn't given by the schools; it is given by the "businesses" making the payments. So Title IX has no effect on NIL at all. Revenue sharing on the other hand? Under current Title IX, a school would be required to "share" the same amount with women as it does with men. However, if the revenue sharing was from the NCAA entity (as opposed to the individual schools) there is enough wiggle room there that it would probably definitely end up in litigation.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Title IX, generally speaking, says schools that take federal money must treat men and women similarly in their athletics departments. Specifically, it says financial assistance (scholarships) must be similar and benefits and treatment in other components (equipment, travel expenses, locker rooms, etc) must be similar. That has generally shaken out as ... if a school gives out $250k in athletics scholarships to men, it needs to be pretty damn close to the amount given to women.

How does that apply to NIL? NIL isn't given by the schools; it is given by the "businesses" making the payments. So Title IX has no effect on NIL at all. Revenue sharing on the other hand? Under current Title IX, a school would be required to "share" the same amount with women as it does with men. However, if the revenue sharing was from the NCAA entity (as opposed to the individual schools) there is enough wiggle room there that it would probably definitely end up in litigation.
agree with this take. is very complicated and therefore I don’t think the schools or the NCAA will want any part in paying athletes. besides, it would be a very bad optic to openly and disproportionately pay the male players in revenue sports more. Title IX isn’t going away

Where does that money go today? To the schools? As part of their conference pay out?

And that is the fly in the ointment. How do the sports/players share? Does a starter get the same as a back-up, as a practice team player? Does a women's bball starter get the same as a men's player? Does women's volleyball get paid? Is the money coming out of the athletic budget surplus?
90% of NCAA Tournament revenue goes to schools. For the big ten it has meant between 2M - 3M avg per school depending on the year. The Big Ten gets to choose if that money is distributed equally or not - I am not sure of the big tens current practice though.

Reactions: NickRU714
90% of NCAA Tournament revenue goes to schools. For the big ten it has meant between 2M - 3M avg per school depending on the year. The Big Ten gets to choose if that money is distributed equally or not - I am not sure of the big tens current practice though.

I'm torn.

For "conference equality and harmony" I want to say distribute it evenly.
But for "you earned it you get it" I want to say distribute to those who made it. If you want some of the money then make the tournament.

Same with bowl money.
I could personally be swayed either way I think.

I'm torn.

For "conference equality and harmony" I want to say distribute it evenly.
But for "you earned it you get it" I want to say distribute to those who made it. If you want some of the money then make the tournament.

Same with bowl money.
I could personally be swayed either way I think.
I would do a combo x percent total rev goes to conference and x percent to individual team that earns.

I have read the smaller conferences pocket money to pay for expenses and only distribute to schools if there is something left over.

Where does that money go today? To the schools? As part of their conference pay out?

And that is the fly in the ointment. How do the sports/players share? Does a starter get the same as a back-up, as a practice team player? Does a women's bball starter get the same as a men's player? Does women's volleyball get paid? Is the money coming out of the athletic budget surplus?
Athletic budget and surplus usually don't belong in the same sentence. $$$$

B1G pays all expenses for participants. Then what's left over is split equally. You have to do it this way or you get a Texas like conference of uneven pay which is eventually bound to fail.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT