ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker

Are you talking about money the NCAA makes or the school? I don't think I have ever seen a figure for what the NCAA makes.
I don't have a clue but a 2009 class-action lawsuit filed by Ed O’Bannon that argued the NCAA should not be allowed to use the likeness of football and men’s basketball players past and present to make money opened the door for the NIL mess we have today
I'm just saying if the NCAA share before being forced to give up the image bucks they were getting and spread it around to every college player, maybe the way the NIL is part of the recruiting scene now wouldn't be the way it is and the ll sharing part might mean the payout to one player wouldn't be a deciding factor because he's sharing it with other players.

I'm sure my idea wouldn't last more than a day before someone sued to get it all for themselves 🤬

I don't have a clue but a 2009 class-action lawsuit filed by Ed O’Bannon that argued the NCAA should not be allowed to use the likeness of football and men’s basketball players past and present to make money opened the door for the NIL mess we have today
I'm just saying if the NCAA share before being forced to give up the image bucks they were getting and spread it around to every college player, maybe the way the NIL is part of the recruiting scene now wouldn't be the way it is and the ll sharing part might mean the payout to one player wouldn't be a deciding factor because he's sharing it with other players.

I'm sure my idea wouldn't last more than a day before someone sued to get it all for themselves 🤬

The problem is the NCAA and schools don't want to share. That's why the courts had to get involved.
That's why they shifted NIL onto fans.

NCAA Football game could have easily kept going if the NCAA/schools agreed to share the money.
They would rather kill the game than share the money.

They (NCAA/schools) couldn't imagine a scenario where they didn't get as much money as possible to spend however they want.

Reactions: MADHAT1
But not all of us led a charge that messed up a sport.
This has been coming for decades. The previous state - of everyone pretending that a multi billion dollar industry was just a mom and pop shop who's employees should accept college credits as payment was untenable in the long run and its good that it finally broke.

The NCAA would have been smart to get in front of it and try to institute some rules, but the end result - kids being, at least in some ways, free agents, was coming regardless.

If you want to follow kids who are just in it for the fun of it while they go to school, go follow a D3 team.

Narrow-minded is the wrong description.

People like YOU are jaded and narrow-minded. Tolerance is not a concept you understand.

Geo was a college kid when he promoted this.

He was idealistic and naive, just like many college kids. I applaud their efforts to make the world a better place, even when they fail to anticipate the negative consequences.

If he did not promote this, someone else would have. The time to promote this cause had arrived, and he happened to be one of the people in the lead.

This thread disgusts me, as there is nothing lower than fans trying to blame a college kid when things go off the rails. They seem to forget conveniently how much he gave to promote the RU basketball program. He is a good kid, trying to do what he believes to be the right thing.

The motivations of the people trying to throw him into the trash are all too obvious.

Pro tip....just wait for the season and support who ever is on the team. I know you're used to things being a certain way but that is now over. You're saying these kids aren't worth anything if not for their school, then it shouldn't be a problem. Just root for the school. Better come up with ways to compensate your players or other programs will. Adapt, or try the ivy leagues, Rutgers Newark has a decent program, highschool sports, Bloomfield college is pretty good
If you just want to watch "pure" basketball there are plenty of options. You want to compete in big10 basketball you need to adapt.
Cam Spencer is a good player, was not afraid to take tough shots and often made those tough shots. But more shots for Noah who looks much better off the bounce and Gavin Griffiths who has a better body type for a no. 1 scoring option..

I wonder if the current state of college basketball is what Geo and the kid from Iowa envisioned? Kids jumping from school to school every year for a “bag”. I understand the free market aspects of introducing NIL, but college basketball is effectively unrecognizable and has changed for the worse.

Maybe this was Geo’s plan, would love to hear his perspective.
It’s not the players fault. The issue is with the colleges, coaches and ncaa. They F’d this up. Not the players. The players deserve to be compensated. Everyone else profits on their backs.

This thread disgusts me, as there is nothing lower than fans trying to blame a college kid when things go off the rails. They seem to forget conveniently how much he gave to promote the RU basketball program. He is a good kid, trying to do what he believes to be the right thing.
To be fair, we blamed him long before things went off the rails (because it was obvious, to anyone with a pulse, where this was headed from the beginning).

We got outbid by a small nothing school like Georgetown. Blame our cheap fan base and apathetic state, not Cam, Geo, the NCAA or Georgetown.
I wouldn’t call Georgetown a nothing school. Basketball program maybe, but not the school.

Reactions: RU82
If fifty percent of the half million alumni that live in the Metro area gave $10.00 to NIL yearly that would 2.5 million to divide up among all sports. Rutgers alumni only remember the professor that screwed them on a grade for the reasons not to contribute or the freshman dorm room mate they couldn’t ditch.
I hope you never become my lawyer if that's the best answer you can come up with for our alumni not donating. Sheesh!!!
The NIL is one of the best things that has ever happened for student athletes and Geo should be proud of what he has achieved.
This is a true statement. But on the flip side, it is THE worst thing to happen to amateur, collegiate athletics for many of it's fans.

If it wasn’t geo it would have been someone else. It’s a professional league at this point. It’s not the kids job to regulate things.

Just disappointing not to see Cam in RU uniform next season. IMHO totally on NCAA for fighting it and not getting out front with some framework and ground rules. An individual and team limit would have helped.

This is the fans fault. The schools are doing everything possible to make sure that they don’t have to share any of their annual revenue with the athletes so their solution is to make a bunch of dopes pay their labor costs for them.

The B10 conference earned $850m in 2022 yet fans are stepping up to pay their players for them.

Anyone knocking the players for the way NIL has changed the landscape
should take a close look at the reason the players decided to get the money that the NCAA was getting using them to make bucks.
The greed of the NCAA was the problem and now everyone blams the players.
All the NCAA had o do s find a way to distributed the money they were making off the players and distribute it fairly among all the players.
( maybe instead of holding back from them , keeping all for themselves the NCAA could have)
Give the players ( every college players gets a portion) a 70% cut and NCAA takes 30% for administrating the NIL program.
As it was the NCAA didn't want to share and their first greed domino to fall was when Ed O'Bannon and others sued the NCAA and won.
Yet the NCAA isn’t footing any of the bill…it’s the donors and schools are suffering

Reactions: SJScarlet
I wonder if the current state of college basketball is what Geo and the kid from Iowa envisioned? Kids jumping from school to school every year for a “bag”. I understand the free market aspects of introducing NIL, but college basketball is effectively unrecognizable and has changed for the worse.

Maybe this was Geo’s plan, would love to hear his perspective.
Dude, it was a Supreme Court decision. Those guys sent out #Not NCAA Property Tweets. Zero impact on the Supreme Court which made a legal decision.

It’s not what they envisioned because they were too young/naive and didnt understand things.

They were college kids with little real life experience when they advocated for this. When youre in college you usually are narrow minded. We all were.
This may be the funniest and most ironic statement you’ve put on the board and the best part is you don’t even realize it

This may be the funniest and most ironic statement you’ve put on the board and the best part is you don’t even realize it
Geo

Do you feel comfortable sharing your thoughts on the Spencer situation?

Narrow minded is thinking that someone shouldn’t have the rights to their own name while the industry owning it is making billions of dollars.

There is a reason why Jersey Mikes bought the Rac, and a reason why SHI bought the football stadium and i promise you it isn’t because they’re fans of Rutgers. It’s because the sports and the student athletes bring eyes and attention.

The entire thing is a business. I get it that NIL doesn’t suit the fan perspective of what college sports was. But the original view of college sports was a wrong one. Anyone who doesn’t see the bigger picture is the narrow minded one.

Narrow minded is thinking that someone shouldn’t have the rights to their own name while the industry owning it is making billions of dollars.

There is a reason why Jersey Mikes bought the Rac, and a reason why SHI bought the football stadium and i promise you it isn’t because they’re fans of Rutgers. It’s because the sports and the student athletes bring eyes and attention.

The entire thing is a business. I get it that NIL doesn’t suit the fan perspective of what college sports was. But the original view of college sports was a wrong one. Anyone who doesn’t see the bigger picture is the narrow minded one.
Bad comparison. It’s no longer about name, image, and likeness Cam Spencer’s NIL means nothing to Georgetown and their fans. It’s pure pay-for-play.
And what bigger picture? Turning college games into pro?

Geo

Do you feel comfortable sharing your thoughts on the Spencer situation?
I don’t know enough on the situation to speak on it. All I’ve heard is rumors just like everyone else. What i do know is we (knight society) need to step up to try and make sure something like this doesn’t happen again. Doesn’t look like it now but Rutgers basketball will be in a solid position NIL wise. We’re working on a ton of stuff behind the scenes. Sounds like Cam thought there was something better for him now. I personally think he’s not thinking it through long term (especially if he’s going to Georgetown) but that’s just me. Whatever money he gets from there isn’t worth the losses. Pays to be a winner. Always has always will. 2 time transfer never looks great to scouts either. But with all that being said i wished him good luck and hope he kills it wherever he ends up.

Bad comparison. It’s no longer about name, image, and likeness Cam Spencer’s NIL means nothing to Georgetown and their fans. It’s pure pay-for-play.
Bigger picture like college kids getting taken advantage of not knowing the amount of dollars they’re bringing the NCAA while they can’t make anything? Again, i get the fan displeasure but with all due respect it’s not about the fans. And before someone replies saying they’re going to stop watching college basketball, ticket sales are at an all time high. Nobody is gonna stop watching 😂

I don’t know enough on the situation to speak on it. All I’ve heard is rumors just like everyone else. What i do know is we (knight society) need to step up to try and make sure something like this doesn’t happen again. Doesn’t look like it now but Rutgers basketball will be in a solid position NIL wise. We’re working on a ton of stuff behind the scenes. Sounds like Cam thought there was something better for him now. I personally think he’s not thinking it through long term (especially if he’s going to Georgetown) but that’s just me. Whatever money he gets from there isn’t worth the losses. Pays to be a winner. Always has always will. 2 time transfer never looks great to scouts either. But with all that being said i wished him good luck and hope he kills it wherever he ends up.
Thank you and best of luck in your future endeavors

Players/alums like you make us proud to support this program

Pays to be a winner - to you.
Thats not everyone's feelings.
Some people just worry about money. Right or wrong - that's their decision.
"Money can't buy happiness. But it's a good start."
He may be thinking long term and beyond basketball.

Also, Cam isn't an NBA prospect. What scouts are worrying about him being a 2 time transfer?

Reactions: RUsojo
Pays to be a winner - to you.
Thats not everyone's feelings.
Some people just worry about money. Right or wrong - that's their decision.
"Money can't buy happiness. But it's a good start."
He may be thinking long term and beyond basketball.

Also, Cam isn't an NBA prospect. What scouts are worrying about him being a 2 time transfer?
I totally agree that money doesn’t buy happiness but none of that applies here if he is literally leaving RU for money.

I know cam personally, he is absolutely going to try to play basketball at the next level and is the biggest competitor I’ve ever met so he’s definitely going to try to make the nba.

Someone who is thinking long term beyond basketball doesn’t transfer twice. There’s zero alumni connections and no bond with a school and program.

Any professional team where wins and losses put food on the table for the head coaches family looking to sign a player is going to go through every red flag. Transfers is one of those flags. Doesn’t matter if it’s nba or not.

I don't know if people understand the way the internet and monetization of websites/social media accounts works. Notice the multiple threads on this board about cam Spencer. All of them a couple pages long. Multiple social media posts about it with long comment sections.
Think of websites and social media pages as television channels. The more traffic on your website or account the more you can monetize your socials or the more advertisers you can bring to your website. Many people are making money off cam spencers name right now because people like you and me want to read and talk about cam Spencer.

Cam Spencer is not playing basketball right now yet his name image and likeness is being used by multiple people for monetary gain as we speak. You can say it's only because he plays basketball for Rutgers or Georgetown but we don't know what school he's playing for now, yet his name is generating money. Unless you think they made this board for fun..

Geo if you read what he writes on the CE board on a daily basis he just wants you to shut up and dribble. You’re nothing but entertainment to him so he can write his weekly books comprising of a regurgitation of the game we all saw. Don’t waste your breath.

Geo if you read what he writes on the CE board on a daily basis he just wants you to shut up and dribble. You’re nothing but entertainment to him so he can write his weekly books comprising of a regurgitation of the game we all saw. Don’t waste your breath.
You have an issue with a poster in the CE board….that’s cool

But act like an adult and keep it there….not here….not sure why you continue to act like a child and bring it here

Think of websites and social media pages as television channels. The more traffic on your website or account the more you can monetize your socials or the more advertisers you can bring to your website. Many people are making money off cam spencers name right now because people like you and me want to read and talk about cam Spencer.

Cam Spencer is not playing basketball right now yet his name image and likeness is being used by multiple people for monetary gain as we speak. You can say it's only because he plays basketball for Rutgers or Georgetown but we don't know what school he's playing for now, yet his name is generating money. Unless you think they made this board for fun..
Hahaha Exactly. It’s Friday night and we’re all sitting here arguing on a board about Rutgers sports that costs money to sign up for. Every person here cares about cam Spencer’s nil whether they’ll admit it or not.

This forum doesn’t exist without the players. The entire thing is business related yet players shouldn’t get paid according to some

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT