ADVERTISEMENT

Geo key stats

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Remarkably, as a true soph playing out of position in a tough conference, Geo was #5 in assists and #2 in steals in the B1G. He was also #25 in scoring average per game in the B1G last season.

While it’s likely his assists will go down since he’ll no longer be our primary ball handler (or will he?), it’s also possible his scoring will go down this coming season, with points being more distributed on a better offensive team.

He may be able to hold his own on those steals though.

What would be great is if he can keep his scoring up by increasing his shooting percentage (especially from 3) and getting to the line more.

Reactions: RUDead
The roster has the potential to have 7 players averaging 8 or more PPG....Baker, Young, Mathis, Carter, Yeboah, Harper and McConnell

I wouldn't include Myles Johnson but his FT shooting is a liability to score more than around 8 PPG consistently.

Hawk, since we’re talking about potential I think you can safely include Myles in that list. He needs to stay out of foul trouble in order to do it.

His size, skill, court sense and passing ability will give us some great inside-outside ball movement.

Myles has to pick his spots but he should have plenty of chances to score inside, plus continued development on his sky hook and turn-around bank shot will add to his scoring.

The roster has the potential to have 7 players averaging 8 or more PPG....Baker, Young, Mathis, Carter, Yeboah, Harper and McConnell

I wouldn't include Myles Johnson but his FT shooting is a liability to score more than around 8 PPG consistently.
With that potential I wonder what it translates into in terms of wins?

Hawk, since we’re talking about potential I think you can safely include Myles in that list. He needs to stay out of foul trouble in order to do it.

His size, skill, court sense and passing ability will give us some great inside-outside ball movement.

Myles has to pick his spots but he should have plenty of chances to score inside, plus continued development on his sky hook and turn-around bank shot will add to his scoring.

I don't view Myles in a way where he scores more, makes more Free throws and stays out of foul trouble, unless he plays more minutes. I am not sure he can be more effective once he gets beyond 20 minutes a game...the game is much easier for non-bigs and if he's around 18 to 20 minutes a game, I'm not sure how he jumps up in PPG.

If he can play efficiently at 24 to 25 minutes a game, then we have something there. I am more confident that Shaq Carter is a little more aware and in sync this year to be able to play more minutes and I anticipate him being a better bet to be in position to do that more often.

It's not anything specific or wrong with Myles, I just need to see him play without fouling and getting fatigued. It's not a conditioning thing as much as it's just a faster paced game we will play this year vs past years as well

Reactions: BillyC80
I don't view Myles in a way where he scores more, makes more Free throws and stays out of foul trouble, unless he plays more minutes. I am not sure he can be more effective once he gets beyond 20 minutes a game...the game is much easier for non-bigs and if he's around 18 to 20 minutes a game, I'm not sure how he jumps up in PPG.

If he can play efficiently at 24 to 25 minutes a game, then we have something there. I am more confident that Shaq Carter is a little more aware and in sync this year to be able to play more minutes and I anticipate him being a better bet to be in position to do that more often.

It's not anything specific or wrong with Myles, I just need to see him play without fouling and getting fatigued. It's not a conditioning thing as much as it's just a faster paced game we will play this year vs past years as well

I think we'll get 23-25 min out of Johnson this year. His biggest challenge has been fouling, which is a common concern for underclassman bigs as they build up strength and body control and gain enough reps to be able to anticipate rather than react.

He's now going into his 3rd year in the program, after a full year of live game reps. I'm expecting some improvement on the "fouls per min" scale, which should allow him to stay on the court longer in the first half of games.

So many unknowns here.....

1. Conditioning of Myles Johnson
2. Improvement of Myles Johnson
3. Improvement of Shaq
4. Improvement of Duke
5. How much Pike wants to play 4 perimeters
6. Our opponent
7. Mathis and Mulcahy as 3 point options???
8. lateral quickness of our perimeters (Myles put in a situation with fouls)

Also if Myles is asked to be more of a threat inside then that would hamper his energy bar. If he is asked to just rebound and defend and get some garbage points that keeps his fresh for 4-5 more minutes.

Last edited:
Myles should get more minutes with Doorson graduating and by virtue of being in better shape.

In 31 games played last year he averaged 17 minutes and only fouled out twice and had 4 fouls four times. So in 25 games he had 3 or fewer fouls.

He also averaged 5 points in those 17 minutes, on 55% shooting from the field and 40% from the foul line. If he can average 22 minutes he could conceivably make one more field goal and one more foul shot to average 8 points per game.

Myles should get more minutes with Doorson graduating and by virtue of being in better shape.

In 31 games played last year he averaged 17 minutes and only fouled out twice and had 4 fouls four times. So in 25 games he had 3 or fewer fouls.

He also averaged 5 points in those 17 minutes, on 55% shooting from the field and 40% from the foul line. If he can average 22 minutes he could conceivably make one more field goal and one more foul shot to average 8 points per game.

If you took Johnson's stats from last year, and ramped up the minutes to 25, you'd get 6.8 pts, 8.2 rbs, 3.8 pf.

If you took Johnson's stats from last year, and ramped up the minutes to 25, you'd get 6.8 pts, 8.2 rbs, 3.8 pf.

Shot goes up and you are competing against 9 other guys for the rebound. Johnson should get a bump based on the fact the RU 4 could be a perimeter player....all things equal

Reactions: BillyC80
Shot goes up and you are competing against 9 other guys for the rebound. Johnson should get a bump based on the fact the RU 4 could be a perimeter player....all things equal
Conversely with 4 perimeter guys that can make shots the floor will open up for Myles (and Shaq) to make a move down low.

Both Myles and Carter look to have improved quite a bit physically. They both should be much improved

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT