ADVERTISEMENT

Georgetown has the right idea

rutcor

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2003
Trade in your rival gear, receive Rutgers gear. I like it.

PSU worth 4 points, at least.

Hoya Saxa

i was at rutgers from 2005 to 2009 and i didnt notice many gear of other schools

did i see it a few times? yes. but nothing to be concerned about.

This is a really interesting idea. It's a difficult line to walk, because then you're also legitimizing the claim of the opponents that they have a foothold on our campus.

I don't think there are enough people in PSU or Seton Hall gear to make it worth the trouble now, but definitely an innovative idea.

Fran Lawrence brought a bunch of boxes of Rau hats to Freshman orientation and traded everyone who had on any other college's hat for a Rutgers hat.

I used to give the bums on Easton Ave sporting non-rutgers gear my hat at around 2-3 in the morning. That was fun.

I always load up on clearance or cheap Rutgers items throughout the year and bring it to my Dominan Republic or Mexico vacation spot and give it away to kids.

Hopefully their not trading it in for a rivals gear
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by jay_hq:
i was at rutgers from 2005 to 2009 and i didnt notice many gear of other schools

When I was in school (80's) there was A LOT of that.

It used to bother the hell out of my Dad whenever he visited...."Where the hell is the Rutgers stuff? How come nobody wears anything with Rutgers on it?!" LOL

while not on campus anymore I never thought it was a problem on campus. Yes, a few kids will wear shirts and hats from other schools they visited / applied to but in the end they chose Rutgers. Where it may be tough is the kid who's family are ifelong Notre Dame fans or who's parents went to Michigan, Syracuse, or another big name and has lots of swag.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

It used to bother the hell out of my Dad whenever he visited...."Where the hell is the Rutgers stuff? How come nobody wears anything with Rutgers on it?!" LOL
That's because we had about 3 shirts to choose from, and if you were off campus, none of the stores carried Rutgers stuff.

Originally posted by CranfordKnight:

Originally posted by e5fdny:

That's because we had about 3 shirts to choose from, and if you were off campus, none of the stores carried Rutgers stuff.
And they were all grey too. LOL

For those who don't know Scarlet Fever used to be a barber shop when Cranford and I were in school.

From 96-00, there wasn't a lot of RU gear on campus - and lots of gear from other schools. Even when people did buy Rutgers gear, it was often a more subdued logo on the pocket area on an otherwise gray/white/black/green shirt. Not a lot of giant Rutgers logos or the Rutgers name blazened across a chest, or solid red shirts.

Schiano really changed the culture and the brand and made the Block R and wearing red something people chose to do.

I was there from '01 to '05 (the beginning of the Schiano era). There was a ton of PSU/ND/etc.

I love that that has changed and it kills me that people don't recognize the value of a good sports program to the grand scheme of things. Without that commitment of the Hale Center and expansion of the stadium, we're lucky to be in the AAC right now with whoever the hell is still in that conference. The fact that I can talk Rutgers to an average college fan (or even neighbor) is beyond any of my expectations when I decided to attend Rutgers.

Originally posted by shawnoc:
Fran Lawrence brought a bunch of boxes of RU hats to Freshman orientation and traded everyone who had on any other college's hat for a Rutgers hat.
I am no fan of Fran Lawrence, but I have to give him credit for that. Thanks for posting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT